Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

We're going to pay a $50 premium for the panel and a $600 premium for the word "Gaming" on the box aren't we :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Has 144Hz mostly replaced 120Hz monitors? I haven't looked at monitors in ages, but mine is getting old and I need an upgrade. Probably 24-26", likely 144Hz? What're some good options that aren't extortionately expensive?

You should figure out if G-Sync is important to you, that's what affects prices the most.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Its too new, there is only one real option and its $800 I believe. However that is a 27" 1440p

You're right, not sure where I got the idea that G-Sync monitors were widely available now.

Acer and AOC have a handful of 1080p ones available for a ~£50 premium over vanilla 144hz, but nothing from the premium brands yet :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ASUSes exclusivity on the 1440p 144hz TN panel has ended, so there should be cheaper alternatives to the ROG Swift incoming :)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/32.htm#acer_xb270hu

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Any good alternatives out yet to the ROG Swift? Twitch gamer here. I'm looking for 1440p gaming at 120+ hz with G-Synch but I also know there are a ton of negative reviews out there re: quality control issues with the Swift.

Acer are releasing a monitor with more or less identical specs early next year. Until then you're out of luck.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/32.htm#acer_xb270hu

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Do you guys know of any trick to force my card to render at 2560x1440 on a 1080p screen, so I can see how it performs? Some games have "supersampling" but I'm not sure it's the same thing, and they may not be the ones I want to play.

You can do it at the driver level with nVidias Dynamic Super Resolution or AMDs Virtual Super Resolution, works with nearly any game.

AMD VSR only works on their newest generation of cards though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Acer Bakes Nvidia's G-Sync Into 27" IPS 1440p Monitor With 144hz Refresh Rate

:eyepop:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Does anybody know how the qnix is able to drive their IPS panels to 96+ hz when nothing else really seems to? I know 96 isn't 144, but I mean it seems the panels themselves can do it so what's the deal?

LCD panels are a black box as far as the monitor manufacturer is concerned, they have no way to verify that every unit they sell will perform properly long-term if they go outside the suppliers specifications. "It usually works" won't cut it when you have to provide a real warranty.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Swartz posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but supposedly this monitor may launch in March: http://www.pcgamer.com/acer-unveil-super-quick-144hz-g-sync-ips-monitor/

A 1440p, 144hz IPS monitor with Gsync? Yes please. Just don't tell me it costs $1k.

At least two manufacturers have this panel (Acer and Asus), so unlike the ROG Swift there should at least be some competition to keep the prices sane. Still won't be cheap though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

The Asus is only 120hz and doesn't support G-Sync. Price is reported to be $599 which isn't that bad (I'd pay more for the G-Sync Acer however).

It's not being widely advertised, but the Asus does support DisplayPort adaptive sync. Guess they're holding out for AMD to let them put the FreeSync name on it. Doesn't help you if you have an nVidia card though v:shobon:v

Apparently the shipping version will do 144hz, the 120hz cap is a firmware limitation of the prototype. So it probably is exactly the same AUO panel.

repiv fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 11, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Can anyone construct a plausible narrative as to what happened that both seems to have damaged the monitor and screwed up the driver situation?

Best guess: Your house had a power surge (hence the PC rebooting too), the lowest-bidder PSU in the QNIX failed to cope and fried the controller board, now it doesn't report its EDID information correctly so Windows doesn't know what to do with it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

I thought Acer was supposed to be the cruddy budget brand??? what the sam hell is happening

first the 144hz G-sync 27" 2560x1440 IPS, and now this

Well, it's not like they actually made these fancy new panels. They just managed to source them from AUO/LG.Display/Samsung before anyone else.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Also, I've not actually seen a lovely 1440p panel yet in any casing. Dont know how true that holds over, but its nothing like 1080p/1200p where you can go out and buy a total piece of garbage

All 1440p panels are IPS or equivalent with the exception of the TN ROG Swift, so yeah it's hard to go wrong.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I have a 2-week-old Swift, and just started to notice ghosting when I scroll black text on white background. That's bad, right?

Trying experimenting with the Overdrive (OD) setting in the OSD. It's supposed to reduce ghosting but too much can cause inverse ghosting.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Any word on when those 1440p, IPS, 120hz, GSync/whatever screens are going to hit this year?

OCUK has them slated for the end of March. £60/$90 (inc tax) more than the ROG Swift.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-077-AC

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I got nothing except that it pisses me off what power connection they use. Use a standard plug ya fucks :argh:

It's a cost-saving thing, if you use an external power brick you don't have to get the main product certified for electrical safety since the brick is already certified by its manufacturer.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PoorHobo posted:

Edit: Does anyone know if I can hack the Monoprice 4k monitor to do 120 Hz at 1080?

It's multi-input, so extremely unlikely. Monitors with input switching and scaling circuitry will tend to do sanity checks and reject signals out of their specs - the cheap Korean displays can OC because they feed the single input more or less directly into the panel.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MadWOPR posted:

Is there any chance that screen goes under 450? That's pretty much my maximum, although that looks fantastic

Keep dreaming, it's up for pre-order at $900+tax in the UK.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GrizzlyCow posted:

Not only that, but FreeSync seem to incur a bit of ghosting if PCPer is to be believed. Still, the BenQ XL2730Z goes down to 40Hz, not as good as G-Sync's 30Hz, so I'm assuming its less an AdaptiveSync issue than display/implementation issue.

The FreeSync spec supports 9-60hz, 17-120hz, 21-144hz or 36-240hz modes, so it's an issue with the implementation.

I suspect nVidia are doing some shenanigans with the RAM on the G-Sync board, probably using it to keep a copy of the last frame so they can push it to the panel multiple times if the refresh rate is too low for it to operate properly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GrizzlyCow posted:

That's basically it if I'm understanding everything correctly, but I'll just quote the good people at PCPer because that was addressed in their review.

That settles that then. There's probably nothing stopping a RAM-backed FreeSync controller from being made, but AMD are emphasizing tacking FreeSync onto cheap commodity scalers so it probably won't happen.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Clobbermeister posted:

In buying a monitor, I'm more concerned about ghosting and poor performance in recreational gaming. Given that this monitor currently doesn't bother me now in any game I've ever played, would I be bothered by an IPS monitor with a response time of 5ms or less? I'd like to buy an IPS for the nicer images, but can't afford to shell out for the top tier models with really great response times. Is input lag a concern IN ADDITION to response time, or is input lag part of the response time? I'm having trouble making a straight comparison.

I'm also not super into the idea of buying an offgrade monitor... I fear I'd be the one person in this thread to get a real lemon. I'd like to spend a maximum of $300, ideally closer to $200.

Processing Time + Response Time = Input Lag

The numbers cited on spec sheets tend to be unreliable so try to find real world ghosting/response/lag tests on a reputable site like TFTCentral.

TN panels do have faster response times, but there's not a huge difference these days: typically ~2ms on TN versus ~4-5ms on IPS. Most of the lag comes from the processing which can be good or bad regardless of panel tech used.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's a few years old now but it performs well across the board and the only dated part is the USB2 hub. It even has a flicker-free backlight.

Seems like a good fit to me.

TheQat posted:

Anyone know how good or bad the input lag is on the u2515h? My googling skills are failing me. Doesn't seem to be on displaylag.com

TFTCentral covered it, it has 13.7ms total input lag.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 25, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Haeleus posted:

I was considering this model, however given my setup im looking for something around 23-24 inches, 27 would be way too big. Given my searching I'm now concluding there aren't any smaller, non TN 1440p monitors at a reasonable price, but please correct me!

There's the Dell U2515H which is 1440p IPS at 25 inches. Is $400 a reasonable price?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mazz posted:

On the Amazon page it says this:

So you probably want to skim that overlockers thread or ask there to be completely sure before you buy 2.

Also, on a side note, the off-grade one is unavailable now on Amazon :ohdear:

The only difference between DL DVI-D and DL DVI-I ports is the later has the extra pins required for a VGA dongle to work, so I'd be impressed if they found a way to not support one but not the other :crossarms:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Unlike G-Sync, with Freesync you have to take the minimum refresh rate into account as well. The 29UM67 has a range of 48 to 75hz, so if you dip under 48fps it locks at 48hz and you get judder like a normal monitor.

Can't say if that matters to you though, it depends how beefy your PC is and/or how poorly optimized the games you play are. 30fps locked console ports could be problematic too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A Freesync monitor finally got the TFTCentral treatment.

They discovered that overdrive is completely disabled in Freesync mode, and BenQ claim it's an issue with all Freesync scalers available now :eyepop:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I can't see a way to make that work, Dell says their controller can only passthrough to one other 1440p display and it only accepts 1080p over HDMI.

In theory DP1.2 should just barely have enough bandwidth for 3x1440p@60hz but there's probably some hidden overhead pushing it over the edge :eng99:

The Gigabyte Mini-ITX 970 has three full-size Displayports if you're able to swap the card out.

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 29, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You have to use real fullscreen too, borderless window won't work.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

Have any of you used a 25" 2560x1080 monitor? I'm looking at the LG 25UM57-P, which isn't too much more than a basic 1920x1080 ips monitor. I'm basically wondering about the ergonomics around how wide it is, and the pixel pitch.

It's nothing out of the ordinary ergonomically, the pixel pitch is only marginally higher than a common 1440p@27" monitor and it's slightly narrower.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twisted Nematic, the (usually) cheap panel technology with poor viewing angles and colour reproduction. IPS is the good stuff but only recently became available in >60hz varieties.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

The Acer seems like it'd be about 3 times as much for what would likely be a 10-20% improvement, if I'm reading the specs right?

Look into what G-Sync does, in practice the Acer will look a lot smoother than a fixed sync display like the QNIX even if you crank its refresh rate way up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's a bit of both, you obviously need more raw shading power to render the extra pixels but modern engines also increase their VRAM requirements as resolution goes up. Especially so if you use MSAA.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The basic version of HDMI (which is usually all you get on a monitor) only goes up to 1080p. You need to use either Dual-Link DVI or Displayport to get the full res.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Must be the other way around then, the monitor supports HDMI 1.4/2.0 but his GPU doesn't. Either way switching to Displayport fixes it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Carecat posted:

My left Dell U2412M is quite red. Solved it with Windows calibration but games like Arma 3 seem to undo it, guessing that the graphics card is ignoring or doesn't use Windows calibration. Any idea what to do?

Doesn't that monitor have RGB levels in the OSD? Just tweak the colours to roughly what you want before doing Windows calibration, and it will still be close enough when a fullscreen game overrides the calibration.

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 29, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I've never seen that error, but at a guess did you remove the custom resolution you made before? Maybe there's some subtle mismatch with what timing or refresh rate the monitor expects.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lots of G-Sync news today. Windowed mode support, optional VSync outside VRR, laptop version and new monitors upcoming:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Acer has a monitor with apparently the same panel running at 75Hz. Rumors even initially had it at 144Hz but that was stifled by the bandwidth restrictions of 1.2.

I don't think Displayport bandwidth is the issue, DP 1.2 supports 4K 60hz 30-bit 4:4:4 which is roughly 15Gb/s, and 3440x1440 24-bit at 120hz only hits 14Gb/s.

The panels probably aren't ready for that kind of speed yet :(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/4/8726489/acer-asus-curved-monitors-computex-2015

Apparently Acer have managed to boost their 3440x1440 IPS G-Sync ultrawide from 75hz to 100hz, and the VA variant will do 144hz at the same resolution :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, it's a 144Hz monitor and Freesync only functions up to 90? Really?

Why on earth would you ever miss frames when targeting 144Hz... :rolleye:

To say Asus half assed that monitor is an understatement, in its original release it was configured to accept 144hz but actually skipped every 6th frame as if it were 120hz. They had to recall all stock to fix the firmware :v: