Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I endorse the NEC EA231WMi. I own one and a Dell U2311H, and the NEC is light-years better. Review (Not by me): http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036050544&postcount=670

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Did you calibrate with a colorimeter? It seems that the reviewer there was mostly going out-of-box.

I'm not asking to attack or anything, I'm just curious about how much of the (seemingly minute) difference between the two is due to slightly different factory settings/profiles.

I did. It made the difference worse. The NEC looks "better" than my $1000 24" Apple Cinema Display in terms of "IPS glow" plus it is actually the same colour all the way across.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Are there any 120Hz ~24" monitors that have at least passable viewing angle and colors? I do a lot of gaming, but I do occasionally put on big boy clothes and do some web design/programming.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

How is the DoubleSight DS-305W? It has a IPS panel, so it looks promising. I want the sweet 30" goodness for only a little more than a U2711 (when it's on sale).

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 5, 2011

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Does it have gameably low input lag?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Speaking of this, what laptop does get a visit from the IPS fairy?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

What is the cheapest possible monitor that wouldn't look like poo poo next to a 24" iMac?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

LastCaress posted:

Am I being stubborn by wanting a 1680x1050 display, like those guys that still use win95? I prefer 16:10 display but I've seen monitors are mostly 16:9. Should I just abandon the idea?
I don't think dell monitors are easily available here, I'll have to look fgr them tomorrow. The Samsung I listed I can still find.

Yes.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

!amicable posted:

So I am trying to build a new gaming/movie watching PC to replace my current laptop setup. I think the best bet for me is a larger(ish) monitor that can be viewed from a few different angles (for movie/PS3ing) and can take both DVI and HDMI (for PC and PS3 inputs).

This is what I came up with:
Asus PA246Q, 24.1" LCD Widescreen P-IPS Professional Monitor, 1920x1200, 6ms(GtG), 50000:1, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort

Does this seem to fit the bill, or are there better options?

I had one. It is nice, but the lag reaches pre-overdrive IPS levels. :cry:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

!amicable posted:

Hrm, so do you think that the U2410 is a better deal at this point? It would be more of a hassle to track down, as Canada Computer does not seem to have them in stock, which would be the easiest option for me.

If I do get one, I'll be sure to say some things about it. Though, as a novice, I am not sure how much I can contribute.

Ok. I am sorry, are you just saying that the U2311 is a better option?

No, I accidentally Cntl-Ved over my current post.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

!amicable posted:

Ah, well then. So then do you think I would be better off with a different model? What do you mean by video lag though. I am not sure what overdrive IPS is.

Basically, the time between the GPU sending a frame, and the display showing it. It is so bad that watching a movie looked like it was a powerpoint presentation and the ghosting made it look smeared across the screen.

I would recommend the U2311, the smaller resolution is better for what you want it for.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

!amicable posted:

Why is the smaller screen size better for what I am looking for. I was thinking that a larger screen would be better for PS3 gaming and movie watching. I appreciate the tip that the Asus PA246Q is a dud, and I will go with a Dell, but why the 23 inch over the 24 inch?

The resolution is more suited to 16:9 ratio content, like console gaming and movies. Also, the U2410 is another name for (essentially) the same :cry:full panel.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

peepsalot posted:

120 pixels. Not 20

Not 120 pixels, 120 horizontal lines, which makes 230,400 pixels. Bit of a difference.

EDIT: I am smrt.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 16, 2011

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Is it possible for an LCD to just break down? What's the lifespan on these things?

My old(5+ yrs) LCD monitor has started getting this weird purple/pink tint to it. The first time, it went away after about an hour. It would reoccur several times after but usually only for like a few seconds. This most recent time it changed colour it's been tinted for several hours now.

Time to start shopping for a new monitor?

What connector?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I am on a Early 2009 iMac, and love the fancy IPS screen. It is upgrade time, and the call of 3D Vision Surround is strong. How :smith: will I feel going from my current monitor to 3 Asus VG236HEs? Follow up: How bad would it be to use a stand like this to rotate into portrait for serious work?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

DrDork posted:

In that rotating TNs into portrait mode is typically a terrible idea, I'd say it'd probably be a terrible idea.

:smithicide: When will there be 120Hz panels on less awful panel types?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

probably drunk posted:

this garage sale had two 30'' dell LCDs for $75 each. Bought both.

Where do you live? Unrelated question: would there be a lengthy investigation if you mysteriously died?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Eej posted:

To be fair, 16:10 gives you a lot of extra real estate for games and spreadsheets.

Also if you use 16:9 you are literally subhuman.

This man speaks the truth. Though, 1440p is allowed into the 2560x master race.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Does poo poo like the Cirago HydraDisplay X3 actually work?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Quanta posted:

It's inexcusable if the bigger manufacturers aren't using IPS in notebooks by next year.

If only... :smith:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

My father is looking for a external monitor for his Macbook Air, but doesn't want glossy or to pay $1k, so he is asking me. He wants 16:10 and for it to be less than $400. I am suggesting the U2412M, but I have a U2410, so he can't possibly waste money for something as good as what the supa computar weezard has! :downs:

How do I tell him to :dealwithit: or are there other similar monitors in a more affordable price range?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

What is the deal with the new cheaper ZR24w? New one, old one.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

DrDork posted:

This is a bit different. GTA3 was using lovely compression techniques combined with lovely gradients and ended up with a lovely result. Dell (and others) have gotten the dithering algorithms down so well that the reviewers LITERALLY DID NOT NOTICE at all while they were doing their reviews. And I don't mean one review site, I mean all of them. The only way it will ever come in to play is if you're planning on using it for professional composition purposes and go and either look for it, or use it in specific worst-case scenarios. For reference, my girlfriend is a fairly high-end professional photographer who basically lives in Photoshop and she uses a U2311H with no issues at all.

tl;dr you will never notice the difference, get over it.

Also the ZR24W and the U2410 in game mode had comparable latency, so I would suspect that the U2412 is probably comparable to the other two, as well, and is 15-20ms or so.

While I am apt to take your opinion over $RANDOM_GOON, I am suspicious. Would it be possible to show in a picture a side-by-side with a 8-bit panel?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

How is the ASUS PA238Q?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I wish they made 4:3 30" inchers... 2560x1920 seems good for me. :smith:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Would 3 6970s be enough to game on three Catleaps?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

thegasman2000 posted:

Do you mean 2? I mean surely 3 would be one each and easy doable.

Yes I do. I'm on my phone right now. I have 2, but I am considering a third while they are cheap after the 7970.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I have a Macbook Pro, and I can't afford a Thunderbolt Display. I am wondering which is better, one Korean 27" or two U2312s and a DualHead2Go.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Do the Korean 27" monitors have 100x100 or 75x75 VESA holes?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

If I overclock an overclockable Catleap, will I be able to run nVidia 3D stuff on it?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

chippy posted:

Surely 1920 x 1080 is best for HD Video, as then there's no scaling?

It is exactly 2 times 720p, and exactly 1.3̅ times 1080p. Most content is still 720p or not fixed resolution, like a video game.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

NerdPolice posted:

Debating on what to do with a perfectly good ViewSonic VX922. I purchased it back in 2006 when I played a lot of games :pcgaming:. At the time LCD's weren't nearly as common and many had ghosting issues so I went with a display that had great response (but poo poo contrast). Fast forward to me never being home and the display sitting in a box for many years, I did eventually take it out of the box and try and use it for something else but in the end it has <150 hours of use.

Now I stuck with a non-widescreen monitor that's 6 years behind everything else, has a max resolution of 1280x1024 and I'm not exactly sure if I should try and sell it on the cheap and get something new, or try and repurpose it.

I wish we had kept widescreen. Imagine a 2560x1920 monitor! That would be grand.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Which of the Korean IPS 27"s offered a flavor with MDP?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, at that point you're only like $150 off from a name-brand HP or Dell that will come with a warranty, display port, possibly better OSD, etc.

Of course, $150 is a lot of money, so I suppose this is kind of a dumb argument.

It is $500 dollars more for the Dell, and the HP has poo poo QC and bad customer support, just like the Korean one.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

They don't exist.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

4:3 is dead. Every good thing dies. Hope is dead, suffering is eternal.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Can someone suggest a 4K supporting KVM switch, ideally that supports USB 3.0 and has audio support?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I'm having trouble deciding what kind of monitor I should get between a 1440p ultra wide or a 4K. I do enough (casual) design work that I don't care about anything that's not IPS. I'm pretty sure that the 4K monitor would be better for fitting an editor/IDE with documentation and Spotify/my pod catcher all on one monitor, but the last part is kind of superfluous.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I'm mostly looking at this Seiki 4K monitor and this LG ultrawide monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

SpaceBanditos posted:

I purchased a Dell P2715Q from amazon warehouse on sort of an impulse buy because it was a great deal ($430). Well now that I have it in hand it seems to be having an issue with waking from sleep, which appears to be a thing with this model.

Assuming I do more testing and it indeed will not wake from sleep on DP/mDP and I elect to return it what are other good options for a 4k monitor that's also IPS? I'll be using this mostly for gaming, but I'm not crazy for :pcgaming: refresh rate and would prefer IPS because my u3011 spoiled the hell out of me and its one very annoyingly stuck red pixel (it's literally in the dead center of the screen mocking me) was really the only reason I decided to try something new with this 4K adventure.

Are there any good 30" options that arent $$$$$$?

SpaceBanditos posted:

I purchased a Dell P2715Q from amazon warehouse on sort of an impulse buy because it was a great deal ($430). Well now that I have it in hand it seems to be having an issue with waking from sleep, which appears to be a thing with this model.

Assuming I do more testing and it indeed will not wake from sleep on DP/mDP and I elect to return it what are other good options for a 4k monitor that's also IPS? I'll be using this mostly for gaming, but I'm not crazy for :pcgaming: refresh rate and would prefer IPS because my u3011 spoiled the hell out of me and its one very annoyingly stuck red pixel (it's literally in the dead center of the screen mocking me) was really the only reason I decided to try something new with this 4K adventure.

Are there any good 30" options that arent $$$$$$?

I'm happy with my Samsung UHD TV as a monitor, and 40" is a nice size for reading text without scaling.