Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've got a workstation with two monitors and that's great. I primarily use the machine for coding and I'd like to have a (small) third display that's only there for media, youtube videos or movies. It doesn't have to be 4k or anything like that, I'd like it to fit in about 8.5 inches of vertical space.

Having trouble finding one. It seems like every company is only making monitors that are 15 inches in size and above.

All the rest of them look like plastic, overpriced with huge bezels, and a price tag that would afford something large from a more reputable brand. Losing hope that small media screens even exist, am I a niche market?

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a weird little touchscreen 11"

A tablet u say, I hadn't considered that. I was thinking I just want it to work off of the same rig, I've got a spare hdmi port on my graphics card I was hoping to make use of and it would be nice if I could interact with it using my mouse and keyboard.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I've done a little bit of research and it looks like if I get a tablet of some kind and install a few things I can have it function as a usb monitor with no latency, so I've read. So that looks to be the best option. I get a small screen, and it's a lot more functional if I want it to be.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I don't know how Samsung does it because I generally don't like their products but the first thing that came up was of course the Tab A8 or S8. S8 is three times more expensive, but if I ever plan to use it as a tablet it looks like the better choice.

I'm open to whatever though just not an ipad please. I'm sure there's probably a tablet thread I'm in the wrong place.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Rinkles posted:

What tablet? FWIW, I had very noticeable lag when I tried that with my iPad.

I went for the Lenovo P11 Plus, I'm pretty sure this will do what I want with a usb cable and some software (ie. superdisplay).

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 24, 2023

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

repiv posted:

how about a monitor inside a keyboard

freeking finally

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

codo27 posted:

There are people who have never worked in data entry and then people who absolutely require a numpad. I wish the one on my keyboard was detachable though so I could have the keyboard further to the right and still have it there when I need it.

Can't you buy standalone numpad keyboards? Yeah, you totally can there's tons of them.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Please come back with a trip report when you get it set up - I'm curious. I half-assedly looked into using a tablet as a display but ran into the same things Rinkles describes, where the latency was so high it just wasn't viable.

This works perfectly. Downloaded superdisplay and yea it operates without any lag whatsoever. Might have even been able to get away with a 12 inch tablet in the space as opposed to the 11 but this is essentially what I wanted.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available on linux. To be fair I didn't try the others because superdisplay had everyone saying "buy this don't even try the free ones", so I'm not sure what options are available.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Rakeris posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but portable monitors get pretty small? Like Amazon link

I looked at a few raspberry pi displays and ultimately decided it's too far away from a consumer product. I've played with pi's before but I don't want to set one up just to have a little display. The tablet I bought is a bit finicky after my computer goes to sleep, but it's not a big issue.

Separate topic I bought two Lenovo L28u-30 monitors for my new setup a while ago, they were very cheap and work great. I'm not a big tech head about specs though so there might be something I'm missing about the necessity of 3 billion exoseconds of response time. Just a heads up that these made my workstation awesome, running one vertical and one horizontal.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

god please help me posted:

All this is making me grateful that somehow the two monitors I purchased arrived in good condition somehow. :stare:

I bought two sweet rear end monitors a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Nolgthorn posted:

This works perfectly. Downloaded superdisplay and yea it operates without any lag whatsoever. Might have even been able to get away with a 12 inch tablet in the space as opposed to the 11 but this is essentially what I wanted.

Things are still going great with my Lenovo Tab P11 Plus, I mean it's working fine. Something I wish I researched more before buying my first tablet is that you can't flash this with anything, even today. It's just not popular enough a machine for people to spend time making one.

So I installed a ui skin and that seems to be better.

But more or less I'm disappointed that I can't really use this for anything other than as a monitor because the software running on it is so horrible as to render the tablet essentially unusable for anything else. Especially with the unavoidable giant bar that runs down the full left hand side of the screen that takes up at least 5% of the width where if you ever accidentally touch over there the whole thing locks up and lags for a minute while it loads all of the requisite lenovo adware in order to display a drawer full of awesome games I can buy.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 24, 2024