Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How about a monitor with a keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how about a monitor inside a keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPmSraxpZ8s

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

repiv posted:

freeking finally

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i looked into the 7-9 inch monitors for the same reason and they unfortunately seem to be mostly mini-HDMI + USB (for power)
would've preferred a single USB-C setup

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

repiv posted:

Everything is telling me this plays looped videos or some poo poo from their app and nothing if it can act as a second screen.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Their monitors are pretty obscure and never get much in the way of english-language reviews. This is despite them being a fairly big manufacturer globally (and they do a lot of OEM work too). Anyway, I wouldn't expect anything fancy from this product at all, but I would expect it to be good enough for work-from-home stuff.

My general recommendation at this price point lately has been this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09R26XXFW

It should be the same as this monitor except without the USB ports: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/nitro-xv272u-kvbmiiprzx

How does the Acer do against the gigabyte m27q? I'm trying to figure out what I should get as a new monitor. I mostly play games, but also do work from home and having the built in kvm switch sounds nice. My budget is a little more flexible, but I'm looking at around that price point (maybe $50 more if something is compelling). I'd be looking at deals at microcenter.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Red Warrior posted:

I have one of those Acer XV272U Vbmiiprx arriving today from Acer's refurbished ebay store. I'll check-in later with how it is, but it's $180 there with an additional 12% off. As it is certified refurbished it qualifies for ebay's free 2 year warranty so figured it's worth a shot for ~$160. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275110646555

Well gonna have to wait until at least Monday (hopefully), FedEx delivered to the wrong address. Judging by what they said and the delivery picture they have of the inside of a garage with tools and stuff in it looks like a house with the same number on a different street in the neighborhood that is currently being renovated but no one will probably be back there till Monday sigh.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

repiv posted:

they describe the clicking sound as amazing, but am i the only one who instantly has a nails on chalkboard reaction to it? who the hell wants to hear that all day

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

thats not candy posted:

they describe the clicking sound as amazing, but am i the only one who instantly has a nails on chalkboard reaction to it? who the hell wants to hear that all day

Those are the quieter of the mechanical ones too lol

I love mechanical keyboards and happily have Blues for my job.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looking for a good ultrawide with a built in KVM. Use case is to switch between work laptop and home desktop. Any suggestions? I'm pretty loose on every other requirement - things like high refresh rates I would consider a plus, but not a requirement.

Blurb3947 posted:

You can get the same functionality with a USB hub, really. But the M series Gigabyte ones are great.

Thank you - I checked this, but looks like they don't do power delivery over USB-C, so it wouldn't charge my laptop while it's plugged in.

Anyone have any recommendations for a monitor with a built in KVM that also has USB-C PD? Seems pretty niche....

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
My M32U charges my MacBook, but only at 15 W.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Yeah my Macbook also charges fine, but not fast. I've got the M27Q.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Huh, interesting. Maybe I'll pick one up to try out. Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HolyDukeNukem posted:

How does the Acer do against the gigabyte m27q? I'm trying to figure out what I should get as a new monitor. I mostly play games, but also do work from home and having the built in kvm switch sounds nice. My budget is a little more flexible, but I'm looking at around that price point (maybe $50 more if something is compelling). I'd be looking at deals at microcenter.

The M27Q has a BGR subpixel arrangement which can lead to some blurriness around text. ClearType can partially fix this, but apps that use custom text anti aliasing, such as Chrome, can still have slightly blurrier text. I've also heard that the KVM switch is kind of janky. It can still be useful though, and if every app you use supports ClearType then there shouldn't be any issue with the BGR subpixels. The Acer monitor also has better response times for slightly better motion clarity, but this isn't likely to be noticeable for the most part.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 29, 2023

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Man, I wish dual-layer LCDs actually became a thing beyond reference monitors. I wonder what specifically prevents them from being made for ordinary TVs/monitors. Are they really that expensive to produce? Or is it just the heat/power consumption? (even if you aren't making a 10,000 nit reference monitor?)

We got them in Australia

https://hisense.com.au/product/65-dual-cell-series-sx/

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

From that page:

quote:

Transform your living room into a gallery, with original artworks on your TV. VIDAA Art lets you access more than 370 million pieces of art from DeviantArt for free, and showcase them on your screen

Lol gonna use this expensive monitor to show off ms paints of Harry Otter kissing all the members of BTS

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the power delivery on the Gigabyte monitors stuck out to me when they were released - 15W is useless for most laptops

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

The M27Q has a BGR subpixel arrangement which can lead to some blurriness around text. ClearType can partially fix this, but apps that use custom text anti aliasing, such as Chrome, can still have slightly blurrier text. I've also heard that the KVM switch is kind of janky. It can still be useful though, and if every app you use supports ClearType then there shouldn't be any issue with the BGR subpixels. The Acer monitor also has better response times for slightly better motion clarity, but this isn't likely to be noticeable for the most part.

Are there any other monitors I should be looking at in that price range (up to $350)? I know there are a couple Asus monitors, but that Acer deal just seems like a best choice.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Lockback posted:

What do you play and what card do you have now. 4k vs 1080p is significantly more pixels to drive. That said, if you can get a good 4k screen and drive it then thats where I'd aim for.
Lots of genres, but (almost) never any "competitive" shooters, since they stopped making good Battlefield games. Some of them are graphically bland and very basic, others are visually impressive RPGs.

My video card is a.

Lockback posted:

He's on 27", I love my 34" and will likely keep with ultrawide but there's tradeoffs. My use of monitors taller than 27" means I don't want one unless I change how my desk is setup to sit further away. So I'd say if you've been using 27" and you like it, stick with it.
This is why I was not very interested in a 34 inch. I like the setup for where my monitor is located and don't want to move it further away.

I am not in a rush so I will keep an eye out. Folks seem to think the difference between a 1080p and 1440p monitor is more than marginal though I have to admit I am still a little skeptical. How big is the difference between a 1440p and a 4k and is a decent 4k monitor on the table for $300 or less if I am patient and wait for a good sale? Any particular places you would suggest to find out about a sale?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 26, 2023

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

the power delivery on the Gigabyte monitors stuck out to me when they were released - 15W is useless for most laptops

Yeah, probably on Windows laptops even normal office usage might exceed 15W.

I think in the case of an M1 MacBook 15W is probably ok as long as I'm not encoding video or playing video games or something like that. The charger which comes with the computer is only 30W, so I've got to believe that the worst case power consumption of the computer is < 30 W.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Blurb3947 posted:

Those are the quieter of the mechanical ones too lol

I love mechanical keyboards and happily have Blues for my job.

There’s “kinds of” mechanical keyboards? I just bought a new mechanical board because I know I like clicks>membrane, but was honestly ignorant that there was anything “deeper” to “clicky==pleasing.” My new keyboard was selected because I didn’t want to turn my overhead lamp on while gaming at night…I was unaware there were different kinds.

Learn something new every day…😆

Edit:
Apparently there’s a whole world of Anime Waifu replacement key caps out there, too…why am I so loving sheltered away?
:chanpop:

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 29, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

There’s “kinds of” mechanical keyboards? I just bought a new mechanical board because I know I like clicks>membrane, but was honestly ignorant that there was anything “deeper” to “clicky==pleasing.” My new keyboard was selected because I didn’t want to turn my overhead lamp on while gaming at night…I was unaware there were different kinds.

Learn something new every day…😆

Yes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825351

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXP8K0b6u2E&t=578s

Jewelry for nerds.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 29, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hell, I bought my new kb a month ago and was both outraged and thought I was upgrading for ~$30 to not turn on a lamp at night to see individual keys in games. I need to get out more…

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

My general recommendation at this price point lately has been this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09R26XXFW

It should be the same as this monitor except without the USB ports: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/nitro-xv272u-kvbmiiprzx

I bought three of these a couple weeks ago and had to return all of them for large clusters of dead pixels. Make sure to test them.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

spending hundreds of dollars and not even having a numpad, absolutely shameful

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

shrike82 posted:

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, probably on Windows laptops even normal office usage might exceed 15W.

I think in the case of an M1 MacBook 15W is probably ok as long as I'm not encoding video or playing video games or something like that. The charger which comes with the computer is only 30W, so I've got to believe that the worst case power consumption of the computer is < 30 W.

I have a M32QC arriving on Tuesday; I'll find out if 18w of power delivery (the specs they claim) is enough for my work laptop. I'm thinking probably not; and if so I'll be returning it most likely.

It's a Lenovo with an i7.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Shipon posted:

spending hundreds of dollars and not even having a numpad, absolutely shameful

What….what…did you just say?
🤨😳🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

A numpad? Are you some kind of number nerd?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There are people who have never worked in data entry and then people who absolutely require a numpad. I wish the one on my keyboard was detachable though so I could have the keyboard further to the right and still have it there when I need it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just use a Canon numpad mouse like a normal person.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I have a M32QC arriving on Tuesday; I'll find out if 18w of power delivery (the specs they claim) is enough for my work laptop. I'm thinking probably not; and if so I'll be returning it most likely.

It's a Lenovo with an i7.

Plug in a charger too, and you’ll be fine. I tried to find the perfect monitor that had it all and found. So I plugged in a charger.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 30, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Diogines posted:

Lots of genres, but (almost) never any "competitive" shooters, since they stopped making good Battlefield games. Some of them are graphically bland and very basic, others are visually impressive RPGs.

My video card is a Radeon RX 6700 XT.

This is why I was not very interested in a 34 inch. I like the setup for where my monitor is located and don't want to move it further away.

I am not in a rush so I will keep an eye out. Folks seem to think the difference between a 1080p and 1440p monitor is more than marginal though I have to admit I am still a little skeptical. How big is the difference between a 1440p and a 4k and is a decent 4k monitor on the table for $300 or less if I am patient and wait for a good sale? Any particular places you would suggest to find out about a sale?

I'd say 1440p is what you'd want. Yes, its significantly different than 1080p. 1440p is almost 2x the pixels as 1080, and 4k is more than 2x the pixels of 1440p. In terms of PPI of a 27", 1440p is a 32% increase, so it's pretty significant. 4K is another nice jump but it's a LOT more pixels, and I think the performance hit for RPGs would be too high. 1440p should be fine.

Also, a 34" widescreen is the same height as a 27", it's just wider. So you don't sit any further back, you just have more stuff on the sides. It does have a higher perf impact but.I think a 6700XT could handle it fine. Not that I am pushing it, just if you like the form factor of a 27", your choices are basically 27" or Ultrawide 34", the share the same horizontal form factor.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Anyone have any thoughts on the Liyama GB2770QSU-B1? I'm looking for a sub £300 pound 1440 monitor with 165 refresh, it looks like a ver basic panel and I've read it has some bleed issues.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

codo27 posted:

There are people who have never worked in data entry and then people who absolutely require a numpad. I wish the one on my keyboard was detachable though so I could have the keyboard further to the right and still have it there when I need it.

Can't you buy standalone numpad keyboards? Yeah, you totally can there's tons of them.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Please come back with a trip report when you get it set up - I'm curious. I half-assedly looked into using a tablet as a display but ran into the same things Rinkles describes, where the latency was so high it just wasn't viable.

This works perfectly. Downloaded superdisplay and yea it operates without any lag whatsoever. Might have even been able to get away with a 12 inch tablet in the space as opposed to the 11 but this is essentially what I wanted.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Red Warrior posted:

I have one of those Acer XV272U Vbmiiprx arriving today from Acer's refurbished ebay store. I'll check-in later with how it is, but it's $180 there with an additional 12% off. As it is certified refurbished it qualifies for ebay's free 2 year warranty so figured it's worth a shot for ~$160. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275110646555

Ok my refurb Acer monitor actually turned up later on Saturday, I live in a pretty good neighborhood I guess whoever it got delivered to dropped it off on my porch.

So far this thing is great. Basically everything in the rtings review seems to apply to this model apart from lack of USB ports. Out of the box it was detected and running at 170hz, I dropped that to 120hz since this is mostly for desktop work and a little extra smoothness is nice but don't need anything crazy. It comes with the firmware that enables max brightness which I guess is good because with no USB ports you can't flash it. Anecdotally reading recent reddit threads on this it sounds like everyone getting this has that firmware but YMMV.

I don't have a lot to compare this to monitor wise but it's WAY brighter and clearer than the 10+ year old HP 22" ~1200p I was using before.

1440p is far more screen real estate than I was expecting. Really surprised, I can dock a web browser to one side of the screen and have a command prompt and explorer window on the other side and it's all pretty comfortable.

As for this being a refurb the only issue I could find was the back of the mount was a little scuffed like it had been pushed up against a wall so no big deal there, the monitor itself is immaculate. No dead pixels. Just like in the rtings review there's a little darkening in the corners and slightly along the bottom edge but the overall screen uniformity is excellent.

Out of the box it was in eco mode and already looked good, I switched it to standard and everything looks a little better other than as rtings noted the reds being pushed a bit so I just dropped the R down to 40 and it looks great to me.

I don't do a lot of PC gaming so can't speak to that too much, will say Euro Truck Sim 2 looks really good on this compared to my old monitor, everything again just being way sharper and clearer.

For ~$170 after tax for me this is exceptional. The ebay reviews aren't great but then I've found for these retail-ish items on there you get mostly people complaining so we'll see, the reddit threads from people getting this seem way more positive, at least it comes with the 2 year additional warranty on ebay. From keeping an eye on the listing it seems they do restock fairly regularly, the additional discount comes and goes but if you can line those up and get it for that price then I think it's worth taking a shot.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 31, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Red Warrior posted:

For ~$170 after tax for me this is exceptional. The ebay reviews aren't great but then I've found for these retail-ish items on there you get mostly people complaining so we'll see, the reddit threads from people getting this seem way more positive, at least it comes with the 2 year additional warranty on ebay. From keeping an eye on the listing it seems they do restock fairly regularly, the additional discount comes and goes but if you can line those up and get it for that price then I think it's worth taking a shot.

Thanks for this, it looks like they've restocked so I definitely might try this one out. As much as I want OLED I know I'll have to wait a little longer, and at this price point to upgrade from an old 24" Dell 1080p@60, it definitely might be worth it. (Though I'll probably keep it around as I currently have no secondary.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nolgthorn posted:

This works perfectly. Downloaded superdisplay and yea it operates without any lag whatsoever. Might have even been able to get away with a 12 inch tablet in the space as opposed to the 11 but this is essentially what I wanted.

Cool, thank you. I might look into that a little further, but for my main desktop I need something that plays nice with Linux, so it looks like Superdisplay wouldn't be an option for me there.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available on linux. To be fair I didn't try the others because superdisplay had everyone saying "buy this don't even try the free ones", so I'm not sure what options are available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm intrigued by Ultrawide for gaming as my next PC upgrade, but I'm afraid I'd miss my second monitor that has game related stuff like strategy guides or whatever open on it while I play. Anyone have anything to share about their experience making this switch? I wouldn't have room to keep a second monitor I'm fairly certain.