Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I think I'm down to these two unless anyone thinks I'm missing out on a good special available in Canada:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/dell-s2721dgf-vs-lg-27gp850-b/16485/24452?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

The LG would be a slam dunk if it had an internal power supply, but I've got 3x1 24" on arms right now and would prefer to not re-run cables (though I guess you only do that once a decade). The stands don't matter as the displays will be floating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Too Many Birds posted:

So when you want an 1440p Ultrasharp that does 144hz but Dell doesn't make any Ultrasharps that go above 60hz where do you start looking?
Dell S2721DGF?

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721dgf

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thread, I have spun throughout the weekend without making a purchase decision and I’m hoping some of you can help:

I have 3x1 24” 1920x1200 60Hz displays floating on single arms. If you go back to my earliest posts in this thread from 12(!) years ago you’ll read about when I bought them. They’re now woefully underserving a 3080 12GB.

I’ve realized 4K is simply more cash and energy than I want to burn keeping up with both the displays, bigger monitor arms and a succession of xx90-class GPUs to make >60Hz worth a drat. I’m looking to go 27” or 28” 1440p, and anything above 120Hz will be just fine.

My problem is that OLED seems just over the horizon at this size, and every single IPS display on RTings has bad black uniformity or some other characteristic they absolutely poo poo on.

What’s the consensus best display at that size and resolution that I can realistically buy three of in Canada and not have to deal with endless RMAs because no three of them look alike? I don’t even mind external power bricks as I only need to run the wires once each.

I’m open to getting that Alienware ultrawide and keeping two of my 1200p’s for secondary displays, but the colour deficiencies in the latter pair next to the former will probably be really off-putting. Plus I do an equal amount of desktop work, gaming and media consumption so OLED seems like a lot of money for questionable gain.

Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself or continually asking for a display that doesn’t yet exist, but I’ve gone in circles too much doing my own research.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you sure you still want three displays if you're going bigger? The extra screen real estate of 27" 1440p is going to be significant, so dropping to two should still give you lots and lots of space.
I split my workflow by snapping to halves on the flanking monitors, and with Win11 I could mix that up even more. Seeing more of everything is part of the upgrade.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are G-Sync Certified monitors barely a thing these days now that Nvidia supports the VESA standard? It seems like all the newer models from Dell, Gigabyte, LG, etc are just Compatible and Asus is the lone hold-out, but the 1440p display RTings recommends is $1300 CAD and I can get two Dell equivalents for that price.

I’d have bought three of the Dell SGF or DG 27” 1440p models already but their black uniformity on RTings looks atrocious. My decade-old HP’s don’t look that bad to my eyes and the Asus looks decent for an IPS.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm starting to wish I'd waited for the 4090 just so 4K gaming was viable. The selection at that resolution is much better than 1440p, but my 3080 is not going to do ray tracing at that resolution across the board. On the other hand: keeping it at 1200p is a huge waste and I want to upgrade :sigh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ammanas posted:

Looking for a 27" 1440p monitor with minimal bezel and great picture quality, good refresh rate, budget around $500. im super tempted to pre-order that 27" 1k LG oled but feels too expensive
Which one is that? I'll take 3.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SuperTeeJay posted:

The 27GR95QE. A few rather enthusiastic/amateur reviews have dropped on YouTube already.

It's probably worth waiting for a reviewer who knows what they're talking about to weigh in, but the upcoming 27" OLED monitors (which all use the same LG panel) should be unbeatable for contrast and motion clarity.
Thanks; my 12+ year wait for a new 3x1 setup may finally be over.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thank you for this post; it might have a significant impact on my future monitor purchases and I can see myself going 1x2 ultrawide instead of 3x1 (were it not for games that don't support 21:9 being weird about such a thing).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’ll be sad if OLED skips 1440p because I do NOT want to pay 4K VRR GPU money on top of OLED money

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not skipping 1440p. The only normal-sized OLED monitors on the market right now are 1440p.
... in a size that lets me go 3x1 instead of 1x2 :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

You mean 24"? I don't think that's gonna happen. If you mean 16:9 27", that's literally the monitor we're talking about and linking to on this page.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.
Nah I definitely missed it; thanks!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm currently looking for everything the Alienware OLED is but without ultrawide. What's the best approximation? I have a 3080 so driving 4K >60Hz games will be a bit much, but if a few years from now I can pick up something capable of that a 27"-28" 1440p could turn into a second screen if it's light enough for my monitor arms.

As I've been posting in this thread for >12yrs I still have 1200p60Hz in 3x1, and I'm thinking of going 1x2 or a main monitor with two of those displays sitting above it and angled down for static content like Discord / maps / etc.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does 5K even come in >60Hz / VRR?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I like having a wallpaper and taskbar pins, both of which I would miss with an OLED, but maybe not so much if the colour and VRR really is that much better than top-end IPS / micro LED backlight.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I had an ultrawide at work and the curve most likely will not bother you after a few minutes. I have to curve my 3x1 setup for it to be evenly visible; a curved ultrawide is doing the same thing (especially if it's PVA and trying to spare you awkward viewing angles).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SourKraut posted:

I’m using a 3080 currently with the G7 Neo Odyssey and DLSS and it’s fine; I figured I’m going to hold on to the monitor a lot longer than I will the GPU, so I might as well get the monitor at the resolution/etc. I want long-term and just upgrade the GPU as needed down the road.
This is my thinking, but I also don't want to buy something like the 4090 every upgrade, and I have no reason to believe 4K@120Hz cards will be any less ridiculous for a while.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I only got this 3080-12 a year ago and don’t feel like going back to late-life 1070 compromises :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

For sure, 1440p is still the sweet spot, and some of the best gaming monitors on the market are in that category, like all the OLED ones.
It’s unfortunate that ultrawide gaming is a mess, because the 16:9 LG and ASUS that RTings has flanking the Alienware sound like they have brightness issues and the same shimmery text…?
Not to mention going from 3x1 identical to 2 old IPS over 1 OLED will be… jarring.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How did we end up in a world where the hottest new monitor tech gives us all these great improvements but breaks if you use fundamental interfaces that have been around for forty years?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
In spite of my recent whining I'm still considering the 27GR95QE and ASUS equivalent. What features does HDMI 2.1 give me in the former, and do they beat out the better brightness on the latter? I'm thinking of keeping two of my old IPS screens to do a two-over-one setup with arms, where I can throw my static elements up to the high monitors and game / watch / single-window on the OLED.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The ASUS and LG are both in stock near me with BestBuy’s extended warranty to cover poo poo the manufacturer doesn’t.

What are the Windows / Nvidia quirks I need to be aware of to run a modern VRR OLED alongside a pair of 60Hz IPS displays from the mid 2010’s?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just looking at this thing in store I know I’ll want at least one VRR companion monitor.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah this is pretty loving great overall, but I can see the text fringing as I type this post. Maybe it's not as bad in dark mode but it will be something to tweak / get used to. Everything else is about as good as you would expect going from ~13yr old 60Hz IPS to 240Hz OLED. BestBuy even gave me half-off a five year warranty.

E: fixed-ish for straight characters like L and E after a single pass through the ClearType wizard, but O is still kinda noticeable.

e2: does f.lux normally gently caress with forum colours this much in HDR, or am I missing something? The green hues are overpowering. At least text looks normal in this state; this reminds me of when I went off my last shadow mask CRT to my first LCD and the Outlook icon went from a bright orange to a dull muck, but good.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 5, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's also unreal how much less power this display uses than what it replaced despite doing so much more. Maxed-out everything is drawing about 20W vs the old monitor's 60 (which was at ~50% backlight), though I guess bright scenes or putting my FPS cap above 180 might close that gap.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm considering replacing the other two with something that doesn't use CFL backing, but right now I have the OLED flanked my 16:10s in portrait mode because my arms didn't go as high as I thought. 16:9 in portrait mode is too thin for my liking even if I'd have more pixels at 1440p.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What do OLED TVs do to prevent burn-in if you dare to watch something with static elements and minimal commercials? Pray for B-roll?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Make sure all screen refresher features for your monitor are running when they should. Avoid using side-by-side window configurations, especially if you're just using the automatic window snapping feature of windows 11. It's very easy to burn in the border between windows when doing that (probably the most common cause of burn-in I see in the qd-oled monitors). Try to minimize all static interface elements as much as possible. If you like using your web browser in a maximized window for instance, press F11 to full-screen it. Edge has a nice feature where the top interface comes down when you mouse over the top of the screen, so you can use the browser full-screened without losing the ability to use the tabs or url bar. It would be nice if you could get auto hide the top interface in windowed mode too, but I don't think that feature exists. Edge also has a feature to auto hide the scroll bar (that you have to enable in edge://flags), which is nice for OLED screens. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the desktop background, assuming it won't be on screen very often.

Also, try not to crank the screen brightness just because you can. If you have one of those monitors that can only do ~150 nits max for SDR content, then I guess you'll probably want to leave the brightness pretty high (or maxed). But if you have an OLED that does ~250 nits instead in SDR (most QD-OLEDs, for instance), and if you aren't using it in a super bright room, then I'd probably turn it back down to that 150 nits level when just browsing the web or doing other basic computer stuff. The brighter the things on your screen are, the more quickly you're burning out the OLED compounds. That said, you're buying an expensive OLED monitor because they make for impressive displays with excellent HDR performance, so you should still feel free to enjoy that aspect, and also don't be afraid to crank the brightness for SDR games too. It's perfectly fine to do that with dynamic content (videos, games, etc). Just maybe try to be a bit more conservative whenever you expect to have static interface elements present. also try not to take naps at your desk while games are running like that other goon.

edit: If you're the type of gamer who might play a single game for hundreds or thousands of hours, maybe play those on a different monitor. Or if those games have moddable interfaces (like an MMO), use interfaces with transparent backgrounds to mitigate the impact. Someone in the same discord server as me has played something like 1000 hours of Hunt: Showdown on an LG CX, and a part of the interface has (lightly) burned into their screen. Not sure how to mitigate that aside from simply not playing that much of any one thing on an OLED screen.
On this note (once again thanks for your tireless efforts DVG31) I turned down my new ASUS 27" to 70% brightness. It warned me about affecting whatever the gently caress a PQ curve is, but the Steam overlay is no longer eye-seeringly bright in HDR. It's still quite bright enough in a sunlit room and hopefully it lasts through Baldur's Gate 3 without image retention.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Once again way more detail than you should put in for unpaid work; thanks!

I think Steam is just bad at HDR in general. The overlay is maximum brightness and screenshot capture is definitely missing two bits out of ten.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The best way to take screenshots of HDR games is to use the windows game bar actually. win + alt + print screen produces an HDR .jxr screenshot and a (mostly) accurate tone-mapped SDR screenshot. It's pretty handy.
Thanks! Too bad there's no fixing my last few unless I want to reload saves from dozens of hours ago (read: nope).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gigabyte M27U for $469: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C3Z74ZP5

This is a very solid 27" 4K 160hz IPS display, and $469 is a bargain.
Strongly considering this because it will let me do something unbelievably stupid paired with my new OLED: https://www.cdw.ca/product/ergotron-lx-mounting-kit-for-2-lcd-displays-polished-aluminum-with-blac/4759664