Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
For these Korean monitors, I assume a Thunderbolt to dual dvi will work fine with the 2012 air using something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I guess it has to be USB powered as well, since that seems to be the only adapter I can find? Will I have any issues pushing it with the air if I'm not doing any gaming on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

It will probably* work. The Air should have no problem doing that resolution sans gaming.

*It might not work, Apple's own Thunderbolt to Dual-Link DVI cable works for some people but has lots of problems, anything from flickering to outright not working, even with Apple displays.
Thanks, it looks like a bit of a gamble when you factor in the price of the adapter and the possibility of having issues with the monitor shipped from Korea. I may end up getting a 24" dell, but the 27" is still tempting.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The LG is in stock here for $799 and free shipping:

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/LG34GK950FB/LG-34GK950F-B-34-UltraWide-QHD-Curved-LED-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor-2018-Model

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Mine came with the latest firmware so it's possible you already have it. Two other things I noticed. Use the extended freesync, not basic. And in the nvidia control panel you can set the output color depth to 10bpc, not sure how much difference it makes since it's not truly 10 bit, but may as well. Also, make sure it's set as 144hz, I had to update my 1080ti firmware to support DP 1.4 .

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I ran their firmware tool and it said it needed to be updated so I did it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Linus did a review on the 48" LG Oled as a PC monitor. I assume my task bar would be burned in to the screen in a year if I used it like that, is that still the case? The Rtings guys did burn in examples for TV and it wasn't awful, but seems like having a desktop on 10-12 hours a day would be bad.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 23, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think there's an exact answer to this but it's my impression as well. It might be fine for a normal person who does some facebooking and then watches a movie but 8+ of WFH followed by as much personal use would gently caress it up pretty badly, I imagine.

DrDork posted:

I think all the trip reports so far have been from people primarily using it as a gaming monitor, rather than a 10-12hr day work monitor with highly static elements. Using it as an office computer for that long in a WFH situation is basically a worst-case scenario (second only to truly static content like airport departure displays), so I wouldn't expect it to last terribly long before it started to degrade--maybe a year or two? Seems like for gaming and mixed use it's been fine for people, though. People have suggested "hygiene" settings like auto-hiding task bar, black or at least rotating background, keeping brightness below 50, etc., to help reduce burn-in risk.
Yeah, I figured, just seems so tempting to have an OLED for the dektop, but I don't want to have to worry about it or go through all the mitigation strategies. I have a 3080 and game, but 90% of the use would be a wfh situation

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 23, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Someone had to show off their CX 48 and now I'm considering it again. I went and looked at one in person and the guy knocked off $100 making it $1397. It's a lot for a monitor and the size is daunting but the display blows away my LG ultrawide by a lot and it's not all that much bigger.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the plan is to wall mount it and sit back a bit. It would also replace the office TV, so it's just a great all around product, except for the burn in part. I think I'll probably do it, at least I have talked myself in to it seems like so whatever. Most content is 16:9 so the 21:9 monitor isn't always great anyway and I think the screen quality is more important than 144hz vs 120.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have the lg 34gk950f-b which has all those things, but it's a couple years old, so I'm not sure what the latest of that monitor is, maybe this one:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP83A-B-Inch-Ultragear-Compatibility/dp/B08DWD38VX/

Looks exactly the same as mine so not sure what the difference is. Both 3440x1440, IPS, 144hz curved.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

SettingSun posted:

A friend of mine picked one of these Samsung ultrawides as a Cyber Monday deal and is trying to convince me to get one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Doub...751&sr=8-1&th=1

I have an old 1060 in my machine with no way in the near future to upgrade so I think such a monitor would be very excessive. I don't know a lot about monitors but are ultrawides like this a common thing? I feel like it's more of a flex than anything.
If something like that interests you, spend the extra $200 for an LG with the IPS panel (that panel is a VA) . I have a 21:9 monitor and I like the form factor, but if I step up it will be a 4k 48" OLED, not a 32:9 monitor.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I love my Ultrawide but the form factor is uncommon so some games and most media are all made with 16:9 in mind. There are people that fix games that don't offer native support at https://www.wsgf.org/ which is nice though. I love it for games that support it though.

smoobles posted:

I've finally decided to be a fancy 4K PC gamer, but heard someone in another thread say that the quality of HDR on monitors is all over the place... can anyone recommend a really solid 32 inch 4K monitor with HDR support?
I haven't heard of any monitors that work well with HDR, if it's important get the LG 48" OLED, that's the best option I think.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Coredump posted:

For monitors curved on ultrawide is good because you're close to the screen. On tv's much less so. Costco has a 34" Samsung 3440x1440 for $300. It was $270 last month so it may drop again in the next few months.

Edit: just noticed this screen is flat. Might be why its so cheap.

It's cheaper because it's a VA panel and only 75 HZ. IPS curved panels with 144+ HZ will be over 1k.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
LG May have a 42" TV to go along with their 48 this year. I'm waiting for that announcement and may just move to that if it a 120hz panel.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My LG 34GK950F-B has a 1900R curve I think and to be honest, I don't think it does anything. It's maybe a half an inch closer at each end at most. Looks neat though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Biodome posted:

I'm considering getting the 48" LG C1 when it comes out and using it as a gaming monitor. I've seen a few setups on Youtube of people using it on a desk. It looks big but manageable.

I found this desk on Amazon with 31.5" depth, which I think will give enough space if I want to play.

https://www.amazon.com/TOPSKY-Surfa...den&sr=1-8&th=1

Anyone else have experience using a 48" as a desk monitor? Any other go to desk picks for something like this?
Panasonic is going to have a competitor this year in the 48" market with HDMI 2.1. Also there is still the 42" OLED panel that is being made that no one has announced a product for yet. Other than that, nothing else like it is out there. People seem pretty happy with it as a monitor from what I can tell.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Someone posted a tool a while ago to manage multiple monitors, like turn one off, set one as the default, etc. It was simple and free if I remember. I see apps like display fusion which will probably do the trick, but I don't think that was it. What do people use?

As far as Ultrawide and 4k. I have both now. The obvious advantage of 4k is most media is made for it, so you don't have black bars on the side with full screen video, and you don't have to worry about game support for your resolution. There is a forum where people fix games that don't ship with UW support, but can take a while and isn't always simple. Although I will say, most devs these days are including 21:9, so it isn't that bad.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
One game that specifically did not have 21:9 support and the patching was complex and also made the UI a mess was Sekiro. I'm sure it's better now, but I initially refunded the game and bought it later when the fan patch was worked out better.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MonkeyFit posted:

I see the LG ultragear monitors get a lot of praise. But they're usually IPS panels so they can be a bit spendy.

How do people here feel about the BFGDs? Specifically, something like an LG OLED with G Sync?
I am using an LG C1 55" as a second monitor for a couple of weeks now for games and it is quite stunning. I also use it as a TV. I thought long and hard as using a 48" as a primary monitor, but I did not think it would be a great idea, so I made it work as a secondary, and it is perfect for that role.

Edit: This is how I have it setup, I think it is about 6" too high, so I plan on moving it down.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's not a bad idea, it's actually a great idea. I posted my setup earlier, but I bought a C1 for gaming and it's great. Burn in is still a thing, but probably only if you watch CNN or something with a persistent logo a few hours a day. If you use it as the main monitor, then use a black background and hide the taskbar. Lots of people are using the CX48 as a primary monitor and it has been fine.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MonkeyFit posted:

Something I didn't think about. Do I actually need a HDMI 2.1 rated cable to get 4k 120Hz? Or is that mostly all marketing?
You don't need one that is officially certified, but you need a high speed cable to carry that signal or you won't get 120hz. I got this one from Amazon which works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GS6SPCS/

Also I should note that you need to check the resolution in the nVidia control panel. There are the normal resolutions at the top, but you have to go down to the PC settings and use those resolutions to get 120hz.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have the Amazon Basic for my 34" Ultrawide and it worked fine for years. I moved it all the time all over and the only issue I had was I had to tighten it every 3 or 4 months. It did seem like it was at its limit with my monitor though it was rated for much heavier ones, but hard to say.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

K8.0 posted:

I got one of these, and while it may ultimately be stamped sheet metal, that thing ain't going nowhere unless something picks the TV up (and you could trim a piece of wood and wedge it under the spring-loaded bottom attachment bits if you were concerned about that). I was super impressed with the quality, if you properly install it into studs it'll easily hold far more weight than it's rated for, and flat it probably holds the back of the VESA mount within about 2-2.5" of the wall, depending on the offsets you need to use.
I have one just like this for my TV and it works fine and definitely is not going anywhere. It's also really close to the wall and was super easy to install, I did the whole thing by myself twice with 55" TVs.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Duck and Cover posted:

48" is totally small enough for a monitor right? Right? I'm probably going to do it. I've said so in the past but this time surely I mean it.
Of course it is, it all depends on how far you sit from it. I use a 55" OLED sometimes as my main monitor, mainly when I play games, but also sometimes I just use it to browse the web and it is awesome. I don't use it all the time though, for work and mostly browsing I still use an ultrawide. I wall mounted mine so it isn't sitting on a desk.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just measured mine and I am 5 feet from my 55". I think for 48" I could go 3 - 3.5 feet.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I play FPS games on my ultrawide but most other games like single player I just play on the OlED and I get pretty good frame rates, enough that I don't notice the frames and do notice that the OLED just looks way better than my IPS monitor.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have used a 34" for several years now, it's fine, just move it back enough so you're comfortable.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought a 15' cable off Amazon for $20 and it has been fine for several months now, and I play games all the time at 120hz with VRR.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

K8.0 posted:

Consider yourself lucky then. You're stuffing an absolutely immense amount of bandwidth, basically a PCI-E 3.0 x8 link, half of the entire bandwidth between a CPU and a GPU until about a year ago, down a cheap 15' cable and it's somehow working. Granted, your display res/refresh doesn't actually require nearly that much, so there may be a bunch of error correction making up for losses.

Personally I'd probably go the exact same route, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had one or two cables that didn't work before I got it functional.
When you put it that way, I guess I am pretty lucky, especially considering I run in to bad DP cables all the time.

This is the cable I am using :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GS6SPCS/

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

mobby_6kl posted:

Linus has a video about the 48" OLED burning: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWrFEU_605g

I think that's kind of the expected result. I'm pretty sure it would be fine for just gaming and movies but if you have like Excel open all day, it's not gonna last.
I am glad I chose to keep my main monitor and just get an OLED for games and movies. I know I would be in the same situation now and having the monitor do that after less than a year would not be great. I was pretty close to buying one as my main too. I also have the same windows open all the time and spend a large amount of time on the PC, so glad I skipped it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I completely agree on that front. I'm just confused on why someone would want an oled for spreadsheets and the like instead of an ultrawide for half the cost.
Because the new video cards support HDMI 2.1 which means you can have 120hz OLED screen which looks way better than any IPS screen and doesn't cost double, maybe a few hundred more at most. This LG for example is almost $1300 and you can get a 48" OLED for maybe $1400 or even less. Reviews when the OLED came out were super favorable and people kind of blew off any burn in concerns as well.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

K8.0 posted:

The window shuffling is not something you can really fix. It's a combination of stupid deep-sleep power saving poo poo that saves like 0.1 watts and Windows treating monitors as if they're disconnected when it shouldn't. Windows 11 is supposed to have a fix for it, I haven't yet looked into how reliably it works.
It works well in my experience and I love it. Also the thing where you update the video drivers and it moves all your windows is gone now with 11. It's a much better experience.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Windows 11 fixes the windows placement issue, but also I just keep it disabled and use projector mode (win +p) to switch to the TV if I want to game on an OLED. Even with Windows 10 this never rearranged the windows for me. Strangely enough though, it still gives a quick black screen when turning on the TV.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I guess so, I only have the one, but also Windows 11 should solve part of your issue.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I still have one in my cart, I wonder if I can still buy it, looks like it would let me.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Deuce posted:

You can always toss it up on ebay for $1800!

(don't do this)
I want to buy one, but I wanted to see someone review it first, kind of weird none of the big youtubers have it to review.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought it with a 10% code from the Dell newsletter. I had another code from another email as well if anyone wants it, it takes off $130.75.

05B4MQ1Q7$H5Q?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Parker Lewis posted:

Nice. In the time since my previous post, the delivery date has slipped from March 11 to April 30. 😬 Lots of people want their OLEDs.
I think when I bought it it said April 3rd, but I'm in not hurry.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
3440x1440 sits in a nice spot where I don't have to push as many pixels as 4k, but has a higher resolution than 1440p. I also like the horizontal space a lot now that I am used to it. I have a 55" OLED I bought for gaming but mainly still use the ultra wide IPS I have, so having this size in OLED will be awesome. 4k is still too much for some of the FPS games I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You get it two days after you ordered it? Must be nice.