Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Taima posted:

Just wanted to say re: the QD OLED chat that if you're willing to move up to an S95B you will not get the pentile issues at all. At least I don't see it whatsoever. Possibly because the DPI is much higher than the Alienware.

A 55" S95B should have a DPI of ~80. A 3440x1440 34" ultrawide has a DPI of about 110 (which is about the same as a 4k display at 40", for reference). But you're likely not sitting as close to the TV as you would a monitor, so the lower DPI is fine and it's gonna be a lot harder to pick out single-sub-pixel lines.

As much as using an OLED TV as a monitor does have some pretty real use cases and advantages, sadly my desk just won't work for something that large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

I guess what I mean is that because it's fairly far away from your desk, it has an effective higher DPI, right?

Sorta! What you're talking about is better classified as something like "pixels per arc-second"--which effectively takes into account both the pixel density of the display, and your distance away from it. The further away you are from a given display, the more fewer fit into an arc-second. Or, conversely, the fewer pixels you need to maintain a given perceived visual level.

Helpfully, absolutely no one bothers to include such data on their displays, though you can use some online calculators to figure it out. this calculator has the "Visual Acuity distance" as the distance for which the display in question has a a 1-pixel-per-arc-second result, which is (in theory) what someone with 20/20 vision should be able to see as "clear".

For a 55" 4k, that distance is 3.7ft, which isn't that far off from the 5.5ft you find comfortable, but it being further off would likely go a long way to "removing" the sub-pixel haloing that the Alienware is being dinged for--since now you're (in theory) too far away to be able to discern individual pixels, let alone sub-pixels.

But yeah, I'm basically mad that QD OLED sounds absolutely bonkers good, except for that part. I typically sit 25-30" away from my monitor, which in terms of Visual Acuity distance would mean I'd want about a 34" 4k--a 34" 3440x1440 ain't quite gonna do it for deleting off that halo, and I know it would drive me nuts using it for office stuff for 6hrs a day.

If the prices keep dropping, though, I might just have to pick up one of the 65" S95B's to replace my existing 65" LED "120 Zone joke-mode HDR" TCL from a couple of years back. 'Cuz drat do they look nice.

shrike82 posted:

The odyssey ark seems more interesting if you want a huge monitor at your desk

I don’t see how using a TV as a monitor works

The short answer is you don't put it on your desk to begin with. I've seen people mount them on the wall and have their desk pulled away from it a bit, I've seen people who just do couch-desk setups in front of the TV, etc. If you've got a big, deep desk, you can sometimes get away with using the 40-42" ones right there, but typically that still ends up involving some head movement to see the corners which can be draining after a while. Anything over the 40's you need to be a couple of extra feet away from for it to be comfortable for most people.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 16, 2022

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

All I can think about is what kind of loving sauna you'd turn a room into if you used this, a 3080 or equivalent, and an overclocked CPU in the same space. At some point cool air has to come from somewhere.

Yeah, but that heatsink seems mostly to be just so they can avoid having a fan while keeping it cooler than other monitors. Most 55" OLEDs so far have, in actual use, averaged a little under 100W, including the C9 series. The Alienware QD-OLED takes like 43W. I'd be surprised if these ones aren't in line with those numbers, as well.

But you're not wrong about the rest of it. I'm on the top floor of my complex, in a "pop up" room that basically means it has kinda lovely insulation because it was added after the main building was constructed. Between my 3080 (even tuned), 5800X3D (so no OC), and my partner's computer (2700X + 3070), two human bodies and 6 monitors...it gets right toasty.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think Asus is afraid of burn-in more than anything, since W-OLED is said to be less resistant to that than QD-OLED.

That's my take, too. A couple of dollars of extra metal in the BOM is probably a reasonable hedge against (1) a bunch of returns / warranty replacements in a year or two, and (2) bad PR for what's gonna be their first venture into W-OLEDs outside laptops.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

genericnick posted:

Well, that sells that Alienware pretty hard and I spend unreasonable amounts of time in front of a screen ever since Covid hit, so I could justify the price. Are there any concerns about using it as a work screen too?

The biggest issue (other than the abovementioned possibility of burn-in, but if they're selling it as a computer monitor it means they think they've got that mostly fixed--though if you have access to a credit card that does +12 or +24 month free extended warranty I'd use it just in case) is that the panel for the QD-OLED displays made so far use a weird sub-pixel layout. This (until and unless OS makers decide to make adjustments for it) results in color-fringing on text and windows. Rtings has a discussion of it as part of their review, and you can see an example of red-fringe on the white portions of the "Google" text and the search bar itself in this example image. It also has an active fan set (one for the GSync module which runs all the time, and another for the panel itself that only runs when it needs to).

Whether either of those are gonna bother you or not is a personal thing, but the tl;dr from a bunch of review sites so far have been "this is the ultimate (so far) for gaming / movies, but not ideal for office work."

It'd be real nice if these monitors were displayed anywhere so people could actually see them in person, especially given that Dell can (though doesn't always) charge a re-stocking fee.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mofabio posted:

Man, my Dell U2711 w/ the fluorescent backlight just radiates heat, but I want to keep my next monitor for a decade, too. I'm looking at the 2023 OLED advances, Kyulux phosphors, LG's microlens array, eLEAP... that Alienware is tempting, but is anyone else standing pat for 2023 OLEDs?

The upside is that the entire industry has moved on from CCFLs and as a result anything you buy today will be noticeably less heat-producing....with the apparent exception of some of these new GSync modules that chill out at like 50-60C all day e'rry day for the hell of it.

I'd snap up the Alienware today if it had normal RGB stripe layout and no fan.

Micro Center carries the AW3423DW. It's usually (but not always) out of stock, but your local store may have a demo unit.

As pointed out in the RTINGS review, Better ClearType Tuner clears up the text issue for everything that uses ClearType. That solves the problem for everything that doesn't use custom text anti-aliasing (google does, for instance).

Alas, even with Better Clear Type I'm SOL because I have to run it off a Mac for a good chunk of my business work, and there is (AFAIK) simply no solution on that side of the house.

And, yeah, I've been waiting for MicroCenter to have them on the demo floor, but as of yet I've never seen one. Seems like for now they're just doing direct-ships, presumably due to low inventory from Dell. Until quite recently even ordering from Dell you got like a month+ projected wait for delivery.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zarin posted:

I still need to do a bunch of troubleshooting to make sure it isn't the cable or video card, but I'm 99% certain it's the monitor. Just wondering if that's usually how it goes? (Last monitor the DVI input died, leaving me only VGA, so I took that opportunity to upgrade to this thing)

It is unusual, but certainly not impossible. It sounds like you have one of the early-gen GSync ultrawides, and those chipsets were always a bit flaky.

Cables are more likely to fail than inputs (especially if you plug/unplug things regularly), and it's pretty rare for an GPU output port to straight up fail. Plus that's usually a real easy check: just get a different cable and use a different port on your video card (assuming you have one).

Frankly, most monitors don't really die over time at all these days. The CCFL ones of old would slowly dim as the backlights wore out, but modern ones will run for years and years. Most people end up replacing them because they want some new shiny, rather than because their existing monitor actually died. That said, power supply failures (especially if internal) are one of the more common culprits for the ones that do actually die of old age.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

i'm using the alienware qd-oled as my desktop monitor for work as well as gaming so let's see how burn-in works out

I'd love a real trip-report on the haloing and how bothersome it is after using it for a few days. Double-bonus if you can test on Mac (sigh).

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can I get a sanity check on something weird I'm thinking of doing?
Any big red flags I'm missing? Any arguments against the idea?

It's not insane. I'm not really sure that casting a Chrome window to a tablet is really a big overhead lift, but if you've tried it and don't like it, then sure, a portable secondary monitor would work.

The one you've picked seems fine for a very low-end deal, but 10" is pretty small. If you're ok with the size and with using two cables (HDMI + USB) to save some cash, then sure, go with it. Otherwise you can get something like this 10" 2k screen that runs everything off a single USB-C (3.1 or higher) port.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, I'd give it a clean and give a new cable a go. "Out of Range" suggests to me a busted connector pin or two (hopefully in the cable, rather than the port).

HDMI limiting to 50Hz is typical of early UWs that slapped HDMI 1.4 ports on there because lol why would you want more than one port that ran at the full speed of your monitor?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

Wait you can do that? I live in an upside down country where the live and neutral prongs are canted 45 degrees and it's physically impossible to plug a power cable in the wrong way... Yikes.

Any device that actually cares about polarity has the prongs physically different sized so that you cannot plug it in wrong without a LOT of effort.

(exceptions made for random Chinesium devices that are wildly unsafe and shouldn't be plugged in to anything, ever)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Just went through pretty much this exact issue with my partner swapping from an older Intel-based MBP to a M1 with that same monitor: using her MBP or my ThinkPad and a dock that works just fine for MBP -> dock -> monitor at 3440x1440@50, the M1 just would not work. Who knows who to blame on that (maybe Apple decided to be more picky, maybe the dock was never technically in spec compliance to begin with, maybe Intel had some non-spec feature or workaround that made docs work better, who knows), but the "fix" for us at least was her buying one of the $300 Razer (because RGB) TB4 docks. Works just fine with that. The non-working dock was a TB3 one, so maybe that's got some play in this game.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is there an adapter to take HDMI/DP output and combine it with power to do video and power to a USB-C port? I got my weird little 10.5" touchscreen monitor in and it works nicely, but it's a pain having to connect both the mini-HDMI and USB-C for power cables.

HDMI -> USB-C certainly exists, but I've no idea how much (or if) power rides along. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VDT3YGK/

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

There are optical HDMI 2.1 cables. There will probably be optical DP 2.0 cables too, since the standard allows for that. Just expect to pay a premium for that.

30' optical HDMI 2.1 cables go for about $40. 10' copper ones go for like $25. I'm not sure there's even a premium anymore, really.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Thanks! That looks like it would work.

If it doesn't, you can try adding something like this: https://www.covid.com/en/hd-pi_hdmi-power-injector-usb-to-hdmi?GroupGuid=343

You mentioning this want now actually has me trying to do the same thing for a Switch -> portable monitor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Gigabyte gave me an RMA for my M27Q but I think they want me to pay for shipping? Is that how it's usually done? It's gonna be quite a bit for a package of that size.

Depends on the company. Dell will generally pay for two-way shipping for their Ultrasharp lineup. Everyone else is a much bigger question, which is why a lot of people (reasonably) prefer to only buy expensive monitors either from Amazon, Dell, or a brick-and-mortar store: at least then if you get one with a mess of dead pixels you can get it returned without paying shipping.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

Has there been any study of QD OLED burn in potential?

The fact that there is an Alienware display with a 2-3 year burn in warranty is really interesting.

It's new enough that I don't think there's any real knowledge about it. Multiple major companies offering them specifically as monitors, with multi-year warranties, does suggest that they are confident enough in the burn in resistance that it'll last at least that long. How much past that... who knows. But OLEDs in general have been getting much, much better about the whole issue over the last few years.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

TheDK posted:

It's for dummies who don't understand resolution and/or have poor eyesight and/or simply don't value pixel density and want big/cheap.

Costco used to and maybe still does sell a bunch of them.

The number of contracting companies who will sell you poo poo like that because it saved them $2 and your SoW didn't clearly specify that the monitor portion of the solution needed to be a particular resolution or higher is...well probably exactly what you'd expect, frankly.

But yeah. These items pop up all the time in poorly-defined contract solutions because they're just a hair more profitable for the solution provider and who gives a gently caress about the end user?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

a dingus posted:

Did they lower the refresh rate of the Alienware qd-oled? I have the first version and it's got 175hz refresh. I wonder if it's because of the freesync module?

Yes. The original (AW3423DW) is 175Hz while the newer one (AW3423DWF) is 165Hz. This is not terribly unusual: there've been a bunch of cases where the same panel has been able to be driven slightly harder by the GSync module than the Freesync one.

Whether $200 + GSync fan is worth it for 10Hz is another question.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The points of "hey maybe don't use an OLED for a largely static display" are still valid. Just...probably not really an actual concern for most people doing mixed-mode use. Don't buy 'em if all you're ever gonna do is office work with the same elements on screen forever. Similarly, OLEDs are somewhat less bright, so if you're trying to use one in a very bright room with poor lighting control, it's gonna be less than ideal.

But again, these are mostly fringe concerns for anyone willing to dump $1000 into a monitor in the first place. If you're willing to invest that much in a monitor, you're likely looking for exactly the things OLED excels at: great color and contrast, super fast timings, etc., and not planning on just looking at a single spreadsheet for 8 hours a day.

What I'm super interested in is this lill' guy: 34M2C8600 from...Philips? Hits all the highs for me: 34" OLED @175Hz with a KVM built in and, from the looks of it, a normal stripe subpixel layout to avoid the weird fringing that you get with a lot of the other current OLED offerings.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

The only times I see people report burn-in on their oled monitors is when they're doing exactly that, so... good luck.

It's fine as long as you're moving the windows around somewhat regularly.

If you just open Outlook full screen and work within it for 8hrs without moving anything...yeah, probably not the best long-term plan. But even then, the new OLEDs do a significant amount of pixel rotation to combat exactly that, so you still might be ok.

Really it's an excuse for taking a 10 min break every hour or two to watch YouTube or do something else to break things up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

change my name posted:

I guess I'll upgrade then, I've been putting it off. But this only started recently so I didn't really have incentive to (when I started hooking my PC up to my new TV for movie nights)

Not to dissuade you from upgrading, given the security benefits of W11, but if you really don't want to / aren't ready to yet, there are 3rd party programs like DisplayFusion that you can set to do basically the same thing: if your PC/monitor sleeps at, say, 60 minutes idle, have the app save window locations at 55 minutes and then have a restore-position trigger on wake. You'll generally still see windows shuffle around, but at least it'll be taken care of for you.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

LLSix posted:

My wife is looking to get an ultra-wide monitor to replace her two current monitors. She mostly uses this computer for light gaming (survival and adventure games) and movie watching.

The monitor she's thinking of is this: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-49-curved-usb-c-hub-monitor-u4924dw/apd/210-bgtz/monitors-monitor-accessories. Both her current monitors are from Dell and she's been happy with them. Any red flags on this monitor?

Not really any major red flags, no. It's a little disappointing to be buying a 60Hz monitor in 2023, IMO, but if that's not something she cares about, you're basically getting 2x 2560x1440 monitors shoved together.

If she's playing games new enough to be on Steam, chances are real good that it will take minimal effort to get them working reasonably on a monitor like that. K8.0, despite being a bit over the top in his continued hatred of everything widescreen, isn't wrong that there is not a great solution to the "I'd like to be able to doodle around in Discord alongside my crusty-rear end full-screen-only game" problem. Then again, most games today are quite happy to run in full-screen-windowed, entirely eliminating that issue.

He also ain't wrong about the cost, though. $1500 is a pretty penny to simply delete the gap between two 27" monitors. If she really hates it, then cool, go for it, but you could easily get a pair of 144+Hz 27" OLEDs for that price (not that I recommend doing so).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

K8.0 posted:

The stated reason for loving 38" 1600p is almost always extra vertical space, and 42" 4k is virtually identical except that it gives you much more vertical space. Also you get an OLED instead of an IPS and you save significant money. Or you can buy a 42"/43" 4k IPS and save even more money (they're like 30% the cost) if you don't want an OLED.

I admit that there may have been an argument for them for some limited group of people before the 42" class displays existed. Now, it's a vanishingly small segment that they are ideal for.

A 42" TV/monitor is gonna be about 22" tall, plus stand. A 38" 1600p is gonna be about 15-16" tall, plus stand. That's a massive difference for a lot of people in terms of what can fit within their desk space, and how it feels to be using it--considerably more eye travel if you sit at a "normal desk" distance on the 42" than the 38".

So while the pixel count might be similar, the actual experience using them is quite different and will appeal to different people.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I recall that TV LCD pixels looked really bad up close if you wanted to use one as a monitor compared to a purpose made LCD monitor. Is that still true for OLED? Do TV OLED pixels look bad at monitor viewing distances compared to purpose made OLED monitor pixels?

Somewhat already covered by others, but the short answer is Yes and Yes.

The triangular sub-pixel arrangement used in a lot of the higher-end OLED monitors are particularly obnoxious for "standard desktop use" because it'll often do weird poo poo like give you a noticeable one-pixel-wide red line at the bottom of a window as you drag it around. Similarly, odd color "echoes" around not just text, but other UI elements where things aren't lining up quite right.

Some people aren't bothered by it at all. Others are bothered by it a lot. As such, if you're considering one, I'd strongly recommend you try to find somewhere with a display unit for you to check out (many of them all share the same panel, so it doesn't have to be the exact model). Or at minimum buy it from someone like Amazon who will take it back without a fuss if you decide you don't like it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shipon posted:

Even the WRGB layout on the LG panels isn't terribly great for text. This feels like something that software should be able to handle though, so maybe in the future it won't be an issue if you can actually feed these subpixel layouts to the OS and have it render text properly that way.

There was a pretty :effort: post about this a ways back. The tl;dr is "yes, technically, but Microsoft is putting roughly zero effort into this and our better bet seems to be to hope for monitors so pixel-dense that wonky subpixel layouts stop being a problem"

Which sucks because I'd love a OLED that I can dual-use for work without driving myself insane with red outlines every time I move a window.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Killstick posted:

Hey thread, i'm looking to buy a >30" gaming monitor, probably an ultrawide 21:9 curved thing, but i have no idea what to look for other then "does it have 144+ Hz refreshrate and a 1ms or lower response time". Any tips? What are the important metrics?

What's your price range? There are solid pics around $400-$500 and then the "step up" ones are like $900+.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

I was looking at this, but apparently it isn't great for text and that would be the majority use of a monitor for me. :(

I've got one of the 34" OLEDs rather than this one, but the text issue is pretty similar: while some people don't notice it, I frankly can't see how, unless they've never used any other modern display.

Text is fuzzy, full stop. It's not so bad as to be unusable, but it's enough that I ended up keeping a plain IPS around for more office-centric work because the text is simply easier on the eyes to read if you're doing it for any extended period of time and not scaling things to like 150% or whatever.

OLEDs are amazing for games, and they're fine for light mixed media like dicking around on dead internet forums, but if you're gonna be staring at Word or VSCode or something for 8hrs a day, I'd let them bake another year or two (or however long it takes someone to put a panel out without an asinine subpixel layout).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
And, more to the point, the vast, vast majority of displays being sold today are not "High DPI 4k+" screens, so Microsoft seems to be at least 5 years ahead of reality on that particular decision. But hey, I guess that's dev time they can reassign to shoving more adds in your Start menu?

I mean, yeah, in some future world where an 8k screen is a sensible option, having hosed up pentile bullshit special snowflake subpixel layouts won't matter.

But in today's world doing anything other than standard RGB layouts means your text rendering is gonna get hosed up. Presumably the panel manufacturer is doing it that way because they can't do standard RGB layouts for whatever reason, and just figure that people are buying them for games and movies, rather than for text or office work.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

This is maybe more of a GPU question, and I suspect the answer is 'it depends' but how much impact to gaming performance/etc is there from your second monitor being 4k vs 1080p? Curious if anyone here has any experience with that.

Functionally zero.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Similarly, I've had several 32-34" ultrawides, and they've all been curved, and I've never felt that it was in any way a negative thing. While I can understand people not being too keen on silly stuff like a 1000R 24", most ultrawides worth buying are 1800R. Between the lower curve and the larger size, it makes it more of a subtle thing. (and while Dr. Video Games is correct that the curve itself is independent of monitor size, you can end up with it being more visually apparent depending on how close you sit to the thing--something I think a lot of people don't bother to account for)

I could see it as a "I'd prefer flat to curved" as a mild personal preference thing, but as a hard "I will never buy a curved ultrawide monitor" I simply can't understand that sort of self-defeating mentality given the way it all works out. 'course if you just prefer 16:9 over 21:9+, then fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

codo27 posted:

I was about to turn in a broken 27" LG from work to the recycling depot and then I thought, I wonder how hard and expensive it would be to fix? Where could I even find a replacement panel? Would it be in any way economical time or money wise?

LRADIKAL is correct: if the panel itself is damaged, just trash it. A 27" work monitor is already such a commodity item already that you can get very nice ones for like $150-$200. Even if you can find a replacement (and you'd generally need a pretty exact one to ensure that everything matches up correctly), expect to pay $100+ for it. And finding them is often a PITA.

If you really wanted to as just a giggle project to see how stuff works, then ok, sure, go for it. But don't kid yourself that you're actually saving money once you consider the time you'd spend doing it.