Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I just bought the ASUS PG279Q and am really happy with it. It was $580 on Amazon and you should be able to hit 144 Hz (165 if you overclock the monitor, it supports that but I've heard image quality suffers a bit and I don't know if the extra 15 hz matters anyway).

Speaking of which, how does G-SYNC work with dual monitors where one is, say, an older one that doesn't support variable refresh rates or whatever? I have an old 1920x1200 monitor I'd like to put in portrait mode for my second monitor but I've heard G-SYNC does some weird things with dual monitors where both don't support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

what should i test on this lg 27gl850 with? I dont have a fancy graphics card (only a 980ti on my windows and my mac well lol)

How much nicer daily productivity stuff is on a higher refresh rate monitor. I can't go back to 60hz now, it's so painful.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Neurostorm posted:

That video is pretty enticing. I’m debating whether to get the LG83A (1440p 144 hz) or the Dell S2721Q (4K 60 hz) and this discussion is leaning me towards the LG. I’ll mostly be using it for productivity stuff — do people feel the jump from 1440 to 4K is less dramatic than the jump from 60 to 144 hz?

I originally bought a 32" 4k 60 hz screen and at 100% scaling (Windows scaling sucks even if it's better than it used to be) even the 32" had text far too small to be comfortable using. I still have that monitor but its relegated to PS4 duty, while I replaced it with a PG279Q for 1440p high refresh rate and its definitely a nicer gaming experience. I recently bought a ultrawide 1440p/160hz panel (34GN850) though and I would highly recommend giving ultrawide a shot in games that play well with it. Also really great for getting work done when you can have 3 windows side by side at usable widths.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ShowTime posted:

This is exactly what i'll be doing. Many of the ultrawides utilize software that lets you split the screens in certain ways, so you can go from 2 screens to 3, or 4, 5, etc. I just need to find another ultrawide to replace my old one. I went from 2x monitors to an ultrawide and had no problems gaming. My next setup will be a 27" and a 34" using splitscreen.

Edit: Has anyone used this ultrawide: lg 34gn850-b? It seems to be the "highest rated" ultrawide monitor and now that we are talking about it, I want to go ahead and upgrade my ultrawide.

I got one last month, really happy with it and use my PG279Q (1440p) in portrait mode next to it as a second monitor.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Really? Only HDMI 2.0 and 60hz? Come on now LG

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Booyah- posted:

I was just looking at the amazon page again. What is the "nano IPS" in the 27GL850-B, and does it justify the $450 msrp over the regular 27GL83A?

NanoIPS is basically some nanoparticle layer added to the IPS backlight that supposedly improves color reproduction. Unless you're doing color-sensitive work it's probably not worth the extra cost.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Even 4k60 requires a beefy computer still so if your GPU isn't up to it, you're gonna be having a bad time unless you run at a lower resolution and then it just looks worse than on a native monitor.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
32:9 1440p is about 12% fewer pixels than 4K, if you're concerned about how a 3090 will run it. You can probably just look at the 4K benchmarks and assume about 10-15% better FPS.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

I had some really bad experiences with Dell support so I’m going to avoid that.

Good to know that I should keep ignore VA and just stick to finding an IPS screen. As you said, there are so many of them I started wondering if I was dismissing them too quickly.

The 34GP83A is almost equivalent to the 34GN850 except for some slight differences in response time and gamma, but it still is a great ultrawide IPS monitor.

VA's godawful black level smearing is an absolute non-starter for me, no matter how much better the contrast it can deliver.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rinkles posted:

IDK what I'm talking about, but wouldn't that be something that phone screen tech would've had to have solved?

Phones these days are basically disposable after 2-3 years. Pretty sure you want to keep a monitor longer than that.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Can IPS panels not be curved or something? I'm looking at IPS alternatives to the 32-34" VA monitors, and they're all flat?

They can have curves, they just tend to be more gentle. I have the 34GP83A which has a 1900R curve and it's actually the right amount of curve for the ultrawide in my opinion.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

kw0134 posted:

Alright, so is the LG 34" Ultrawide a bad idea? I have the 27" and while I like it, at this price I can use it as the primary I've been kind of putting off and then finally retire an old 27" 1080 panel.

What vertical resolution are people looking for in their ultrawides?

I have this monitor and it's quite nice, would recommend.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Huh, why would a medical office need an OLED monitor specifically?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Nvidia cards do not do VRR over HDMI pre 2.1 other than a few specific HDMI 2.0 devices.

That said, VRR is not quite plug and play. To get it working consistently you want to force vsync on and set an FPS cap ~4 FPS below the monitor's max refresh rate in Nvidia control panel. VRR can only slow a monitor down. It doesn't work when a frame time is shorter than a monitor's refresh time, so you have to limit framerate to slightly before the monitor's refresh rate for it to work.

This is also recommended regardless because some poorly coded games love to uncap their FPS and make your GPU go insane in the main menu

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Have to admit, I didn't notice any burn in on my 2 year old iphone X (i don't know how different AMOLED is from what the TVs use, but I assume they share the same potential issue for burn-in).

One question I do have to ask though is how much these burn-in protection features affect the image. Are single pixel wide elements shimmering due to the pixel shifting?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Scarecow posted:

Just to chime in with my LG CX 48 has been rock loving solid and unless you are twitch shooting it's the top end "monitor" to get, anything else at this price point is the wrong choice

When you use the TV as a monitor does it annoy you with the smart TV stuff? I hope you don't have to like manually switch it to PC mode every time it turns on

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

nwin posted:

Thanks! One last question-did you have to download the drivers to get split screen to work? One Amazon review said it wouldn’t split screens without Samsung specific software. I can’t download anything to my government computer, as the reason I’m asking.

FancyZones as part of PowerToys is a great way to set up defined regions for windows to snap to.

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys

edit: sorry, didn't read the "can't download anything" part. But if you do have this for a home computer it's very nice to have.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure if I should ask here or the TV thread, but are OLED's really that bad of an idea to use as a computer monitor?

I hoop up my gaming/general PC to my TV, and am thinking of purchasing a LG CX. But apparently that's a bad idea due to burn-in?

RTings has an on-going burn-in test with some of their OLED TVs running 24/7 on news channels as a worst case and while it does become noticeable with that, in real world usage it's going to take a longer time to get there, especially if you do things like hide the taskbar or just have the monitor turn off after 30 minutes of non-usage. I admit, the possibility of burn-in is one of the things making me hesitant about OLED, but seeing that definitely convinced me it wasn't that big of a deal. Now if only someone would make a 32" 144hz OLED monitor...

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

What are we talking about when we talk about "years" here?

Like 4 or 5?

My computer is on like 5 hours a day on weekdays and like 15 on weekends.

I want this TV to last me nearly a decade.

quote:

Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.

Yeah you might have a problem if you want to use it as a PC monitor for a decade.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I have a 32" 1440p 165Hz VA display now.

So will there be coming "the same, but on 4K" versions anytime soon?

I understand that displayport bandwidth is at least one problem with those 4K displays. I guess that issue is still not fixed in latest 3000 series?

It's a limitation of DisplayPort 1.4 (4k120 is the highest you can go without any compression), though the 3000 series supports display stream compression which will let you to get to 4k144 with basically zero loss visually

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Presuming you're talking about the XB273KGP AKA XB273K Gpbmiipprzx AKA one of many Predator XB3 models (gently caress Acer's naming conventions forever)l, QD is for wide gamut, and the LG monitors actually claim a wider color space than it and a higher max brightness. Also doesn't have HDMI 2.1 Seems likely to be strictly worse to me. That said, it apparently can be had right now and for significantly less than the LGs will be going for any time soon, so if it ticks the boxes for you, it seems like a good deal. Lacking reviews would put me off, but OTOH sometimes monitors in these new spaces sell out and then are hard to get for a long time.

What's happening is due to deep sleep, a heinous power saving feature that unfortunately can't be disabled on most monitors. If you can't turn it off on your newest monitor, you're probably hosed. It could be a revision change or it might not be, I don't know. It has nothing to do with your GPU, there's just an idiotic part of the DP and HDMI standards that calls for monitors to deep sleep and act like they're disconnected, which as far as windows is concerned means they are disconnected and windows need to be moved to other displays.

Supposedly the next big update of Windows is actually going to include a workaround for this problem.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/

The Deep Sleep being mandatory on is probably a legal requirement to meet the idle power rules for energy efficiency, which i'd say is generally a good thing if not for it being annoying as hell when windows can't cope with it.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Wasn't the Deep Sleep thing actually a correct implementation of the specification or something? I feel like I read about that recently - maybe even in this very thread - and that's how I understood it at the time.

Not to say that it isn't a silly implementation anyway, obviously the old behavior wasn't rubbing anyone the wrong way.

Deep Sleep is doing what it's supposed to do - the problem lies in Windows freaking out when it sees a monitor going dark

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Monitors are implementing the spec correctly, but the spec is garbage and shouldn't exist and monitors should just pretend they don't have the feature.

It's quite likely that Microsoft's fix is really just some hacky poo poo where they delay making a decision, which just transfers some of the suck from the sleeping monitor situation to actual unplug situations like laptop docks.

Microsoft does that to avoid a situation where you have windows or icons out of the screen space but can't actually move your mouse to them so you can't get them back. It makes sense, it just needs to not kick in when a monitor goes dark.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

I gather the LG 27GL83A is Freesync capable but can it do the 144 Hz needful when using that?

Sorry, I'm a big monitor dumb :dumb:

Yeah that won't be a problem. The Freesync range for that display is 48-144Hz and it will multiply frames if you dip under 48hz to meet that range.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

change my name posted:

How noticeable is the difference between QHD and 4k anyways? I've tried both 1440p and native 4K gaming on my TV and couldn't really tell, but obviously I was sitting across the room and couldn't pixel peep

I owned a 32" VA 4k monitor from LG that I stopped using when I bought a 27" 1440p 165hz IPS panel instead. Just recently pulled it out of storage and even at the larger screen size it's much crisper, but the 60hz is just complete garbage to me at this point now that I've had a taste of 144+Hz.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

They have another monitor model of the same size, but it's 100hz with a 120hz OC option. A bit of a downgrade, but I told the support guy I'm okay with that so long as I'm refunded the difference between the two models.

Otherwise... guess I'm in the market for another 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide.

Think this thing might be dying faster than I originally thought unfortunately, now the backlight is starting to flicker.

If you're willing to pony up for higher quality, the 34GP83A has served me just fine since i bought it last thanksgiving. it's like $800 though

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

There are active optical cables that can do longer runs.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08GMC7C91/

Not sure how well they’ll play with VRR though.

The cable at least claims to support VRR and if all of the circuitry for the optical-copper link makes it appear no different to the input, don't see why it wouldn't support everything a copper cable would

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Gameko posted:

Sooo, I'd like to upgrade my monitor and I'm looking for a 1440, 21x9 monitor with 144hz or better refresh. Any suggestions? The slots seem to be wide open on these things in terms of price range, but the mid range seems to be about $700? Primary use will be for gaming, but I don't do anything crazy and play a lot more open world/single player stuff than competitive shooters.

Not sure about size, but I'm leaning toward ~34 inches or so. This will be replacing an Asus VG248 which was expensive back when I bought it. Having gone through a lifetime of cheap monitors I was a good bit happier with the VG248 than my previous 'what's on sale' purchases. I'm in the eastern USA if that helps.

Edit:

Think I'm down to a 1/2/3 series of choices:

*Lenovo G34W-10 -- Budget option...seems to work well but people have dead pixels?
*LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 -- Middle of the road option. Seems to compare very similarly to...
*LG 38GL950G-B 38 inch 21:9 -- Expensive option! The only real difference I see to the one above is the extra real estate/different marketing gobletyguk
I bought the 34GP83A-B last Thanksgiving and have been nothing but pleased with it. The 38 looked nice but I don't have enough room on my desk for it

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Gameko posted:

Thanks for the words of wisdom gang. I eventually went with the Dell Alienware 38in ultrawide, which seems to be a direct competitor to the LG model. Currently it's about $100 cheaper, and Dell is supposedly good about replacing panels with dead pixels, etc.

I'm still not sure 38 is the wise choice...can essentially buy two 34 inch models for the same price? Overall it felt a little more like a long term investment though and I decided to splurge. I find two monitors to be absolutely crucial to my work experience these days so hopefully the 38 will allow side by side apps and still be great for immersive gaming.

With the 34" I can fit three windows side by side usably and I imagine that the 38 will only improve on that.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Just got a LG 27GN850 and it's doing that thing where every time it goes to sleep and wakes, it "forgets" it's connected and cycles 1-2 times while notifying "Gsync monitor connected". Is there a fix or workaround for this?

Blame the poo poo way Windows handles DisplayPort sleep. Won't be fixed until I think their fall update this year according to them?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Everyone has different needs, but for my standards I'd just like to point out that a 27" monitor is already pretty loving big.

As someone with deteriorating eye sight, sitting too close to my 27" 1440p monitor can be overwhelming. It's taken me a while to adjust from a 24".

24" 1080P is 92 DPI, while 27" 1440p is 109 DPI. Definitely gonna want to go to 32" if you think the 24" 1080p is at the edge of what you can see as the 32" 1440p is basically the same DPI as the 24" 1080p

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Basically it's real unfortunate that Surface-Emission Displays never became a thing

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

drat, I'm reading about them, and now I'm sad too. It seems like a perfectly viable and appealing technology killed by stupid business bullshit.

to be fair it sounds like a nightmare to manufacture which is probably why it was canned. Hopefully microLED doesn't end up the same way

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Ultrafine’s are great for work. As far as I know, they max 60hz and have a pretty high response time, but that’s only something you’d care about if you do fast paced gaming a lot. Unless you’ve experienced 120 or 144hz, you wont really even know what 60hz looks like or why it’s “bad” for stuff.

Absolutely great for work though.

That is the big downside of going to 120/144hz, you can never use a 60hz panel the same again

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I'm planning to soon upgrade to a new machine that has a 3070Ti. I'm thinking about upgrading my monitors later to get a bit more screen room.

I currently have two 1080p 24" monitors, one 60hz and one 144hz. I've never been able to get the 144hz to work alongside the 60hz one, so they both run at 60hz.

The things I mostly want are:

• to play games, most of which don't actually care about having a refresh rate about 60. I'm looking forward to Endwalker, and will be doing some other stuff, but nothing like an FPS. I'll be using the second monitor for generic PC things while a game is up on the other.
  • I would like to move up to a slightly higher resolution, on the grounds that I'd really like a bit more space for FFXIV's user interface.
  • I do a fair amount of graphic design work in inDesign and would like to have a higher resolution for that, too.
  • to be able to hook up the work laptop (a reasonably nice Dell) via the docking station and use the same desk for that

Can I run two 1440p monitors at 60 or 75hz with a 3070Ti? Is it dumb to buy 144hz monitors if you're only going to run them at 60hz? Is there a nice monitor you can buy that doesn't come with that high refresh rate?

Would it make more sense to just buy one 1440p monitor and replace the 60hz monitor with that while keeping the other one?

There shouldn't be anything stopping you from running the 144hz monitor at 144hz. I was running a 144hz screen primary and 60hz secondary until I got my ultrawide. Admittedly, the moment you put any GPU-accelerated things on the slower screen everything goes down to that refresh rate so having Youtube on can be problematic, but browser windows and simple things like that should still be able to work.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
21:9 is really awesome for productivity, you can have one narrow window and one really wide window side by side, or three usably wide windows open at the same time, and that's on a 34" so the 38" (i wanted the 38 but it was just a tiny bit too big for my desk so i went with the 34") with the higher resolution should be even better for that. for gaming i don't think i really need to convince you that it can really improve immersion.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

The plan is to upgrade in a year or two, but I wouldn't mind ending up with one good 1080 and eventually add a decent 1440 next to it, I'm just trying to decide where to start. Someone once recommended against getting a 1440 if you plan to game in 1080 because the upscaling won't look as good, is that still a concern at (relatively) low frame rates and sub-Ultra graphics settings?

And if not, what's the current thread recommended 1440/144 monitor in the 'couple hundred bux' range? Is there a standard or ideal size like 26" or 28"?

they're pretty much all 27" at 1440p144. amazon has a 27GN800-B from LG for $300 right now, that's quite a good monitor for the price.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That's not bad but I kind of wish it was at least a 30" display? I feel like 4k on anything less is just going to be too small?

I have a 32" VA 4k monitor and at 100% scaling everything is still way too small, can't imagine how much worse it would be at 27-28"

Sure does look nice and crisp at 200% scaling though

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
someone should do that double-layer LCD that allows for almost-OLED levels of contrast but for a monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

repiv posted:

i think the sticking point with those is the backlight ends up being absurdly power hungry to reach OLED levels of brightness

there's a 31" professional monitor which uses dual-layer LCD and it burns 300W and requires active cooling with HDR enabled

Dang no wonder that never took off, lmao using as much as a high-end GPU i'd still use one