Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Regarding the quality issues with the Acer XB270HU, are there any alternatives? Or are there any other g-sync monitors coming out this year that might fare better? The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q seems like it's in the same ballpark (TN panel aside) but reviews for it are full of dead pixels and defects too.

Why can't we have nice things? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Perfect! Thanks for the link. Looks like that Asus PG279Q will be more toe-to-toe with the Acer XB270HU. But it sounds like both companies have QC issues with their high end monitors out of the gate. Nothing for it but to wait and see.

I guess Acer and Asus are the only two duking it out in this space?

BurritoJustice posted:

All of the first of their kind have had QC issues when first released. Such is life on the bleeding edge. By all reports the likelihood of getting a good XB270HU has increased since launch. The Swift had ridiculously bad QC issues for months after launch but they are pretty much stable now.

I wouldn't consider the PG278Q to really be in the same ballpark at all, considering the difference between TN and IPS.

Yeah, it sounds like the upcoming PG279Q is their answer to the XB270HU. But I'm neither brave enough nor space-rich enough to try my luck with the first batch. I'm not looking to buy a new monitor until closer to fall so maybe this situation will shake out by then.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 1, 2015

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm REALLY getting the itch for a high refresh rate G-Sync monitor in the next couple of months. I know the Acer XB270HU is the current top dog but man oh man the last few pages full of QC issues make me want to hold out for a better option. Looking in the near future I only see two comparable monitors:
  • Asus PG279Q: The older PG278Q seemed to be well regarded despite the TN panel. The PG279Q's IPS panel should put it over the top if Asus can manufacture them reliably.
  • Acer XB271HU: This sounds like Acer's next entry into this category. Maybe they'll have the QC bugs worked out this time? That "Predator" branding looks a little gaudy though:

Are these two pretty much it for upcoming 27" G-Sync IPS monitors with high refresh rates?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Etrips posted:

Dell is also coming out with a XB270HU equivalent within the next month or two.
You mean the S2716DG? (Yet another catchy name.) I did get excited at first but everyone seems convinced it will be a TN panel due to the 1ms response time.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tarbrush posted:

PG279Q pricing and availability are out. £700 for UK goons, haven't see US pricing. No HDMI 2.0, but you have to use DP to get G-Sync, so meh.

This article claims $799 in November.

quote:

The ASUS PG279Q will be available in November, with a starting price of $799 in the United States.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ASUS PG279Q in stock on NewEgg if anyone wants to roll the dice.

Edit: Sold out now.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 18, 2015

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Welp, my ASUS PG279Q got here from NewEgg this week. Throw me on the QC issues pile because it has noticeable backlight bleed in one corner. It's only noticeable on a black screen in a completely unlit room though. Under normal conditions I don't notice it so I'm not sure if I want to RMA it yet or not. Everything else looks fine: uniform whites, no stuck pixels, and G-Sync delivers what it promises. Can't do anything till Monday so we'll see.

In the meantime, 'Caveat Emptor' is still the name of the game for these stupid expensive bleeding edge monitors.

Edit: Bonus comedy from the box.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 21, 2015

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

xorex posted:

I posted here before looking at the Acer XB270HU only to learn about the QC issues and that I may want to wait for the Asus PG279Q. I'm reading that these screens have the same issues though. Is this correct?

Yup, I bought a PG279Q and it has backlight bleed issues. For some reason every monitor in this class seems to have QC issues right now. (And by right now I mean the last year or so?)

Where are Acer and Asus sourcing these panels from? It seems like there's just one supplier out there and they don't quite have the manufacturing sorted out yet.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

suddenlyissoon posted:

After a lot of deliberation I bought the Dell S2716DG g-sync monitor. I know a lot of people were put off on this monitor because it's a TN versus the IPS panels of the Acer & Asus. Honestly, I wanted the Acer badly and almost bought it at launch but sat it out due to the QC issues. Then the Asus launched and I started to see the same sorts of issues coming out. Every review I could find about this Dell talked about how nice it was and how the QC issues were not present. Let me just say that coming from an old 1080p Viewsonic monitor...my God. It's just beautiful. I played Battlefront last night on it and I was absolutely blown away with the monitor and with g-sync. It truly is one of the best upgrades I've ever made.

As someone with a backlight bleeding Asus PG279Q I've wondered if that Dell was the way to go after all. The TN panel may have some drawbacks but at least Dell knows how to assemble a drat monitor correctly. Maybe Dell went with TN because they knew all the high refresh 1440 IPS panels out there aren't up to snuff yet.

Glad you're enjoying your new monitor.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

So what are these Asus and MSI monitors that will be using the same panel as the AW3225QF? Alienware stuff always looked too garish for me but Asus is just as bad these days.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks. That 32" MSI looks reasonable. Every since I got an OLED TV in my living room PC games have been looking kinda dull and washed out by comparison.

Edit: Though the 27" is 1440p which would be better for keeping frame-rates up...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Non-gaming monitors are really commoditized and you can just buy whatever is cheap and has the features you are looking for on Amazon. So basically look for 24 inch 1080p monitors that have the inputs you want and a tilt stand and reviews that support your use case without any significant complaints. All the technical stuff only really matters for high-end monitors.

And yet my job still manages to find some of the blurriest brand new 1080p HP monitors with zero ergonomic adjustments.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah my take on oled burn in is screen savers are back baby. We've been here before.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Splash Attack posted:

i'm also a whole bundle of health issues, but the falling asleep at keyboard thing is usually because i have terrible sleep habits and don't get enough sleep (and should really fix that).

Fixing that would be effort well spent because sooner than later you're going to hit an age where that poo poo won't fly anymore. If I fell asleep at my keyboard I'd have to call in sick the next day.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Canned Sunshine posted:

If you’re on a Mac, then sure. Windows handles scaling just fine though; I use 1440p on my 27” 4K screen and it looks great.

I still can’t believe how badly macOS scales to 1440p.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

I've never bought a high end TV or monitor before. What's the expectations of support and updates in this segment?

I don't have any particular expertise here but based off my most recent TV purchase the expectation is the drat thing won't work correctly out of the box and months later they'll fix it with firmware updates.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm actually surprised things like mice and other peripherals don't come with their own lovely software loaded onto a built in ROM or something.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

buglord posted:

Man are there any 1440p +120Hz OLED HDR monitors that don’t look insufferably cringe?

It’s bad enough with video cards but I just stick those in my unlit, windowless case. The few of the monitors I’m looking for have back panel lighting, cringe stands, and even one of them lights some dumb silly pattern onto the desk itself.

My Dell S2716DG from 2017 fit the bill perfectly as a professional looking monitor.

I'm kind of surprised this is still a thing. Or are teenagers able to afford $3,000 gaming PCs and I'm just not with it?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I believe it dims the entire screen if it detects "logos", which means any static element at all. Which is going to be most of the time when using the computer.

That's how it works on my LG OLED TV. All the features designed to protect the screen are dumb as rocks and basically amount to the brightness randomly turning down in the middle of whatever you're watching.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

MSI's QD-OLED lineup to come bundled with Dragon's Dogma 2 for the next month: https://www.msi.com/Promotion/gaming-monitors-dragons-dogma2-game-bundle

Not sure they needed this to sell these monitors. They're already extremely hard to buy in the US and Canada.

They're also sponsoring all of Digital Foundry's recent videos with ads for the new OLEDs. It's like a game console launch. All this advertising for something that sold out on day 1.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

I've never been a fan of Asus aesthetics, so thankfully this one is pretty muted. The logo chin is kind of irritating, but with the light turned off it's barely noticable.

I still want to know who is a fan of that aesthetic. Who in 2024 is dropping $1,000 on a monitor and going, "Aw yeah! Republic of Gamers! That's me!"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Housh posted:

What is the best connection to use with these new 32" OLED 240hz 4k monitors? I gotta order a 10ft cable for my standing desk.

DP 1.4a or HDMI 2.1?

I’d say display port first. HDMI 2.1 support still seems like a bit of an afterthought in the PC space.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Portable secondary monitors designed for laptops might do the trick.

SideTrak 12.5" Swivel V2 Portable Laptop Monitor

Edit: Aw hell, this one's so cheap you might as well give it a shot: LONCEVON 7 inch Mini Small Monitor. I'm sure it's no-name junk like everything else cheap on Amazon but for your use case that may be all you need.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I got a wild hair up my rear end and ordered an Alienware AW3225QF. So throw this review on the pile.

Good Stuff
  • Excellent image quality. Looks every bit as good as my LG OLED TV.
  • The monitor's styling isn't as abnoxious as I feared. From the front it's very PS5 like. The back would be nice too except for the giant LED Alienware logo and "32" for some reason. At least the lights can be turned off. I've seen worse gamer nonsense on monitors. (Looking at you Asus...)
  • No scratches on the screen. There was a very conspicuous layer of bubble wrap taped over the plastic on the screen.
Meh Stuff
  • I'm not feeling the curved screen. I don't hate it, but I don't think it's improving anything either. It's not really noticeable in games but it's kind of disorienting during regular desktop use. I'll keep it, but if I did end up returning it for some other reason I'd probably hold out for one of the flat QD-OLEDs to come in stock.
  • I wish it could rotate 90 degrees but maybe that's a big ask for a curved 32" monitor with a thin and delicate OLED panel.
  • Wish it could raise up a bit taller but that too might be a bad idea for a monitor this size.
Bad Stuff
Nothing yet...

The curved screen is the only part that gives me pause. Everything else is varying degrees of good and the image quality is excellent.

Now I'm off to play nothing but Balatro on this thing for the next week.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 14, 2024