Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
drat too bad I missed the Amazon warehouse deal by a day. Thinking about trying my luck in the BLB lottery and ordering an ASUS PG279Q anyway even if I can't get it super cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

novamute posted:

drat too bad I missed the Amazon warehouse deal by a day. Thinking about trying my luck in the BLB lottery and ordering an ASUS PG279Q anyway even if I can't get it super cheap.

Got this in this weekend and GOOD LORD the thing is gorgeous. Back light bleed isn't noticeable in normal usage. I thought the higher refresh rate would be the most noticeable thing but IPS next to my older TN monitors is like night and day. Getting GSync working took a little twiddling but seems to be working perfectly now.

JFC posted:

I'm having an issue where every time the monitor goes into sleep mode it realigns all my desktop shortcuts to the left side of the screen regardless of how I had them arranged before. Is there some way around this? Has anyone had a similar issue with sleep mode on other monitors?

Edit: I'm referring to the Samsung U28E590D

Mine was doing this too. This was the most promising fix I found at first:

https://superuser.com/questions/453446/how-can-i-stop-windows-re-positioning-after-waking-from-sleep

I had a ton of extra entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration so I just wiped out all the entries, rebooted, and set up the display configuration again. That fixed the desktop icon problem but I was still having full-screen windows being resized when I came out of sleep mode which I then fixed by disabling "DisplayPort Deep Sleep" in my monitor configuration for the new panel.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

exquisite tea posted:

Anybody with an ASUS PG279Q want to offer their experience? After my first XB271HU was defective I'm curious if these have any better QC before I try another one.

Just got this and had zero QC issues. Back light bleed wasn't bad at all and only had one bad pixel that wasn't fixed by "unsticking" and it shows red and green fine but no blue so it isn't even noticeable unless you're staring at a blue screen looking for it.

Just order from someplace with a good return policy imo but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the display.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

So is TN just objectively worse than IPS displays or something?

For everything except response time and price, yes.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It is a very tempting purchase! The TN is regrettable, but everything else would suit me just fine. An Acer Predator costs 800 +tax where I live, and even though that's a product I'd use for years the upfront cost is a big pill to swallow.

That being said, if you guys had to choose between the AcerXB271HU at $800 vs the Asus PG279Q at $750 which way would you land? Both are available for me to grab at the local Microcenter.

K8.0 posted:

I would go with the Acer. The panel in it might be slightly superior and if you're going high end display why not go all the way?

Considering how rare IPS 1440p 144Hz panels seem to be I have been assuming that they use the exact same panel so it would come down to cost, aesthetics, and frills like the OSD. I thought the Asus looked better of the two as the stand and the bottom bezel on the Acer just look tacky.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Looking for a 34" UWQHD IPS monitor with a few specific requirements and having a hell of a time. Are there any that are GSYNC compatible, >=144 Hz, and support automatic input detection/switching? Price doesn't really matter.

That last bit seems to be the killer. The reason I'm set on the input detection is that I'm switching back and forth between my work and home setups which share a primary display fairly frequently and I'm looking to wall mount my setup so having to touch the monitor every time I make that switch sounds super annoying. The PG279Q I have as my primary display now takes like 5-6 button presses to navigate the OSD to change displays and it drives me nuts.

I've found a few OLED panels that seem to hit all the buckets (Samsung Odyssey G8 and AW3423DWF both look solid) but I'm spending 6-8 hours a day with the OSX dock and menu bars in the exact same place and that just sounds like burn-in city.

e: LG 34GN850-B, Gigabyte M34WQ, and Asus ROG XG349C all appear not to have this feature.
e2: Thinking of just going 27" QHD instead, looks like a lot more options in that space

novamute fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 6, 2024

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

LRADIKAL posted:

You could also get some kind of KVM to manage your displays, no?

Certainly could but one of the big reasons I'm wall mounting is to clean up the wire hell I'm in now and so running 9 cables (3 monitors out + 5 input sources in + power) into something I need to keep at arm's length is going to make that more difficult.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Saukkis posted:

How do you want the input switching to behave? Do both computers need to be awake? I switch between work and home computers, but I put the other one to sleep and modern monitors seem to switch automatically, only my ancient monitor needs manual help.

One option is software switching with something like ControlMyMonitor. I remember some people in the forums have built a system where they use an USB switch to switch keyboard and mouse and other peripherals, and this causes software to switch monitors inputs at the same time.

Currently using Monitor Profile Switcher on my home PC and so to switch I use that to turn off the signal to two of my monitors that are hooked up to my work laptop dock. So don't really need to worry about switching behavior with multiple active inputs ever.

This tool looks like it may be pretty useful, if it can actually change the selected input on my primary display I could script the whole thing so that at least when my home PC is on I don't need to mess with the OSD.

e: Input Select doesn't seem to be exposed at all on the PG279Q but this may be a good option still on a new primary display if it doesn't have input detection but does expose this.

e2: I think the answer here for me is possibly to just try and find a DisplayPort KVM that will support the auto detection for me if that's a thing so I can just get whatever panel

novamute fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 7, 2024

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Turning off Deep Sleep for that input might also fix it

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Boozie posted:

What are the 34" IPS 1440p cheaper alternatives (or at least bigger than 27")?

These are the 34" IPS 1440p monitors I found when I was researching this last week.

LG - 34GN850-B
LG - 34GP83A-B
Dell - U3425WE
Gigabyte M34WQ
Asus - ROG XG349C

I think to get anything significantly cheaper than the LG you need to get a VA panel.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Rusty posted:

Why does my AW3225QF like to turn off and on so much. The scenerio is I wake my PC up from sleep and it turns off and back on 4 times, same with my TV which is a secondary monitor on my video card (but not active until I activate it). The final weird thing which happens once and a while, while gaming, the screen just goes black and then comes back on. It's rare, but it has happened 3 times now. I don't even have HDR on most of the time which is what I thought was causing this.

I searched all over for this, seems weird more people are not complaining. It's not a huge deal, just annoying.

My AW3423DWF does that second thing too. Unclear what is actually going on and isn't a particularly Google-able error state.

I might try to disable G-Sync at some point and see if it still happens but it isn't 100% reproducible to test easily.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

novamute posted:

My AW3423DWF does that second thing too. Unclear what is actually going on and isn't a particularly Google-able error state.

I might try to disable G-Sync at some point and see if it still happens but it isn't 100% reproducible to test easily.

Was able to fix this thing where the screen would randomly go black by just not using exclusive full screen. No idea why but haven't seen it outside of that

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Looks like the GPU to me. If you swap the ports the monitors are plugged into what happens?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
I use three but it's really only useful when working from home so I can have two on my work machine and one open to SA (or whatever) on my home machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Rusty posted:

Just the usual stuff. Auto-hide the taskbar, make it sleep fast, I set mine to five minutes. That's probably it, I turn off icons on browser tabs just in case, I also don't keep my windows in the same spot all the time.

I'm doing the opposite and ignoring all these in the hopes that I get enough burn-in to warranty it near the end of the 3 year warranty period.