Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Holy loving poo poo, I love you. I can't wait for the V-bombers :britain: Going to see the Vulcan as a six-year-old, aviation-mad kid was loving awesome. I've loved the poo poo out of that plane ever since.

Also, perhaps a good future topic would be the supposed obsolescence of manned fighters - the loving ridiculous idea which led to the canning of a great many promising aircraft (most famously the :canada: ARROW :canada:) all across NATO nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

That's a weird way to spell B-1.
I could've sworn Vulcan had more letters than that.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

That's a really great post, thanks for putting it up. I always wondered why the Americans seemed so up in the air about supposed Soviet aggression when they were doing a lot of the aggro themselves, and now I know :)

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Thread continues to own. Some wicked photos, too!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

iyaayas, since you're ammo, any chance of a post on bomb trains? Those things always fascinated the poo poo out of me.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

If you're talking about explosives trains, like how you detonate something, then absolutely. If you're talking about something else, you'll have to explain what it is you're talking about.
These things:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

NosmoKing posted:

Never heard of these things. Is it just a set of fuel tanks with a warhead in the front? That's almost like the pod under the B-58.
Apparently so, and I think it has something to do with the supersonic weapons delivery craze of the late 50s.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I can't look at that without getting the mental image of some guy trying to fish with one, and I have to say... it owns.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

FiendishThingy posted:

awesome photos
I love you.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Holy poo poo. Awesome post, dude.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I would totally do that if I could get over to the US any time soon. :sigh:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Flanker posted:

Kids, this is what happens when you're browsing the forums at work, and you're malnourished and dehydrated. You type foxbot and go on thinking you typed foxbat. What the gently caress.

What is the bird the Su-25 is named after? I can't read Russian
Grach (rook)

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I think a lot of the problem is you guys spend so loving much on all these flashy toys the Russians can't hope to match for another decade only to find you then have no capital left over to counter the kind of basic but highly effective stuff the Russians figured they'd have instead of the latest avionics tech or (in the case of the early MiG-29s and Flankers) even loving fly-by-wire.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

As awesome as that is, there's a long way between 'proposed' and 'in service'. There's a pretty fair chance it'll get either gimped or axed totally somewhere along the line in the name of cutting corners to save on costs.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I'm Army. The two retarded children we're stuck with in the ADF have nothing to do with my people. :colbert:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

But manned aircraft are so passé, lets just skip forward and productionise Teranis.
Now where have I heard this before?

:britain:

...Although this time, it's actually a lot less ridiculous.

e/

Sunday Punch posted:

Yeah the F-111 was a victim of being designed to fill too many roles, and being designed at a time when multirole aircraft were a new and unknown quantity.
Maybe in the US, sure. The Mosquito was a runaway success and wasn't even designed as a multirole aircraft... it just owned so hard that they asked it to do everything. It did.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 3, 2011

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Oh look F-35 talk!

~*sukhois for all*~

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Wow, I didn't even know that helicopter was a Thing before. I'd heard of the Cheyenne and what happened to it, but that thing... wow. To think that, were it not for internal politics and inter-service rivalry, not to mention a healthy measure of backwards thinking by brass, the US and its allies could've had troops riding into combat on a helicopter which can then provide them air cover while they run around with their .280 bullpup rifles... :sigh:

The worst part, though, isn't the things we all could've had; it's the people who mindlessly parrot the opinion that everything the US makes or purchases is the best in the world, all foreign equipment (especially Russian) is inferior caveman junk, and that everyone should buy American gear regardless of its suitability to their needs. The list of incredibly advanced or simply good gear canned or overlooked for US-made equipment is pretty depressingly long. Does the RAAF need a semi-stealthy (yeah, okay), short-legged strike fighter? Probably not. Look at the list of countries who may possibly have a beef with us in the future; most of them are a fair distance away and not exactly at the cutting edge of military technology anyway. We just need a good, long-ranging strike aircraft that can carry a large payload, which is exactly what we had in the Pig. If the Americans hadn't persuaded us to buy it, and the British hadn't dropped the ball by cancelling the TSR.2, we would've had that instead - probably the most capable aircraft in its role at the time, certainly so until the Pig's bugs were ironed out. Either way, a good fit for the need. But nope, the Americans are selling F-35s, we'll buy what they're selling. The Abrams. Why is a country with so much goddamn empty space buying something that guzzles fuel as badly as the Abrams? There's nothing really wrong with the tank if you can keep it supplied, but why not buy Leo 2s to replace the retired Leo AS1? Challenger 2s? Nothing is going to change as long as people fail to recognise that hey, this obscure thing here is pretty neat, or well, this US-made thing could use some improvements!

America makes some cool stuff, it's just not the best stuff. And, big surprise, it's usually tailored more to the needs of the US than its far-flung allies.

Bottom line: buy Challengers and Sukhois (and blot out the sun with the Sukhois because gently caress summer)

rossmum fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2012

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

mikerock posted:

It would be loving awesome of the Luftwaffe brought back Lozenge camo (minus the garish pink)
Don't forget its ground uses too! Helmets, railway guns and their carriages, tanks...

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I like the look of the 35 without canards, but they fit the 34 just fine. At no point can a Sukhoi be 'ugly'. The Typoon, on the other hand... :barf:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

It says 'Do-17' more than 'Ju-88' to me, personally :ssh:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The Kola Peninsula is the home of the Northern Fleet, isn't it?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah I really can't see them being any less keen than Russians.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

I don't think they would refuse to fight NATO forces as much as they probably wouldn't fight with the same zeal and passion as ethnic Russians.

You probably know this better than anyone else, Cyrano, but didn't the Ostbataillonen surrender to the allied forces rather quickly? Or am I mistaken in this.
I suspect that fighting for the Germans and fighting for the Soviet Union were two pretty different things to them.

The other Republics, as well as some of Russia's nether regions, produced some pretty amazing soldiers.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've seen this theory brought up before (though I can't remember where) and I believe the conclusion was that the various -stanis and Slavs taking the opportunity of war to cast off their Russian oppressors was about as likely as the Western proletariat rising up in solidarity with their Soviet liberators against the bourgeois aggressors (i.e not very likely at all.)
Goddamn that last part would make the most gloriously :ussr: movie ever, I wish it was a thing.

You're pretty much on the money, though, and if you look at how those nations were faring in the 1970s-80s USSR versus how they're faring now it's pretty obvious why. Say what you will about the Soviets, but people who would otherwise be living in a world of poo poo actually had a shot at getting somewhere in life. Now that everything's broken apart, a lot of the Asian SSRs are run by lunatics or mired in corruption (usually both) and living conditions vary from "pretty cushy" for the leader's flavour of the week friends to "enjoy your lovely crumbling apartment" for others. I saw a documentary a while back which caught up with kids that had been born towards the end of the USSR and where they are now compared to then, and the ones who had lived in Asian SSRs were barely getting by now.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

poo poo yes dad fiction. :buddy:

My dad used to tell me these awesome long-running bedtime stories as a kid, they'd run for months at a time. Now I know where he got some of the basic plot ideas from, but he always managed to make them new and interesting. I can only hope to live up to the same standard.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Browsing imgur.com pays off...

Holy poo poo. Now if only it was ALL like that.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Warbadger posted:

The SR-71 had a very specific purpose for which it was designed. The JSF is following in the footsteps of the F-111 and is trying to do everything on a single platform.
Except that once the bugs were ironed out, the F-111 was a drat fine strike aircraft, even if it couldn't do anything else particularly well.

The F-35 just seems like a complete loving waste of time and money already, the idea that it will replace everything from the F-22 to the A-10 is just retarded. Everyone should just start buying Sukhois :allears:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Reinstalling Il-2 has reminded me how much Soviet aviation (especially the VVS) owned even before the Cold War! I might just have to make a big effortpost about it one of these days. Despite their poor performance early on (mostly due to poo poo leadership), Red Army Aviation had some pretty gucci toys at their disposal, including some of the fastest and most agile aircraft of the early-war period. The cancelled experimental types are really interesting, too - my personal favourite is Polikarpov's I-185, cancelled due to a mixture of engine problems causing the prototypes to fall out of the sky, politics, and the fact that Lavochkin's new radial-engined fighter was showing promise all of its own while being much easier to produce (since it used parts from his previous designs).

The air war in the East gets overlooked a lot because, well... the war on the ground happened. It tends to drown everything out. It is absolutely fascinating, though, and for all the people lusting over aircraft like late-model Bf109s or Fw190s, the Soviets had comparable (if not superior) counterparts themselves which don't often get the love they deserve.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 16, 2012

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cool post. I didn't really know anything about that until now, my idea of that region has always been "it's really unstable and nobody likes each other very much" and that's about the end of it.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I have a book around here somewhere that I picked up in a sale about 5 years ago called "The Originals". It was basically a series of interviews with the original... 13, I think, members of the SAS. It was a really good read, and towards the end of the book it went into some detail as to what happened during the ten years or so where the SAS was officially disbanded after WWII and before its reactivation during the Malayan Emergency. Most of the guys went hunting for the German officers responsible for torturing and killing compromised SOE agents, and David Stirling himself apparently had plans to head down to Africa and sort that place out in a similar way to what you're saying, letting the borders reform along logical ethnic/political lines instead of arbitrary land divisions drawn up by Europeans.

Of course, this didn't end up happening as he was just about the only person who gave a single gently caress and the British Government said no. Well, we can all see for ourselves just how well the alternative worked out.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

As opposed to all the places where putting two groups who absolutely hate each other on the same piece of land worked out, right?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Vulcan :swoon:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Regarding the split flaps, they were basically only a thing in the '20s and '30s...first invented in 1920, they were mostly used in aircraft designed in the '30s. A lot of early WWII fighters (P-40s, Me 109s, early Spitfires) had them.
All Spits had them, right up to their retirement. They also only had two positions, 'up' or 'down', so combat flaps weren't really a thing on the Spit (though it could already turn on a dime, so it's debatable whether this was a drawback at all). I am not sure if this was an intentional thing or a side effect of having pneumatically-operated flaps when a lot of fighters used electric or hydraulic ones, but it did mean that pilots could still drop flaps for a wheels-up landing.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 28, 2012

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Saw a vid a while ago of an RAAF F-111 doing the same thing, though I think it was on an exercise and the windows it blew out were all on a military building. The guys recording it just about poo poo themselves.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

You know, as much as I love the pig, I'll always be mad that Australia basically drove the final nail in this thing's coffin by going with the F-111 instead.

The best part is that they were complaining about the TSR.2 having teething troubles, being late, and being hugely overbudget. Guess what happened when the RAAF adopted the F-111? :downsgun:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I have to say the Vulcan is my favourite V-bomber, because goddamn, that howl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1VSCph-G8

The Lightning is a really awesome plane, and doesn't get enough credit. Also, the twin-boom jets - the Vampire, Venom, and Sea Vixen - have always really appealed to me. Glad I got to see the former two flying as a kid.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Despite the arguments to the contrary, though, there's not really anything hugely solid behind the Americans deliberately setting out to destroy the Arrow - gently caress, they helped provide crucial systems for it. The TSR.2 is a bit of a different story, because at the very least the Americans pimping the F-111 out drove off the potential customers that could have kept the project going. Small arms are where there certainly was direct US intervention - .280 and the EM-2, and then the adoption of the M14 over the FAL - and it set everyone back a long way.

In the end, though, both were victims of short-sighted domestic politicians who basically killed their nations' abilities to design and build entirely indigenous equipment at the cutting edge of technology.

Looking through the list of amazing projects cancelled either in favour of American counterparts, or as a result of political decisions, during the Cold War is severely depressing... especially when you realise what impact that had on local industry. The cancellation of the Arrow basically killed the Canadian military aviation industry, and the TSR.2 drat near had the same effect over in the UK. Whether you believe their capabilities were exaggerated by their almost mythical status or not, they were important projects that would have seen Canada and Britain able to independently build their power, and losing them meant losing that totally.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 13, 2012

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

That is awesome. Can the airframe on those really stay intact much longer?

Edit: The article says the B52 will be retired 30 years from now. Holy poo poo.
With proper care you can keep a plane flying for a hell of a long time. Helicopters are even easier to maintain, since there aren't wing spars to worry about - several British Chinooks which were operating over Afghanistan were Falklands veterans and are not planned for retirement any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I was going to say "it's amazing how these people get into those positions", but it happens all the loving time. While he wasn't in any position to do anything dangerous, our old CO was a real loving space cadet. The guy had no idea what was going on, it was like there was a thick plate of one-way glass between him and the real world.