Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So i was wondering how come the mig 29 and su 25 had the cockpit part of the fuselage raised higher above the level of the wings than US fighters.

Am i just seeing things? Or was it actually a thing for better visibility because their radars in their fighters were less reliable or something? Is it an illusion because they curve down behind the cockpit while the us fighters keep it relatively flat? Goofy center of mass things to lay them do that cobra marburger without thrust vectoring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It's always just been aslang term for canadians as far as i knew. I think i first heard it on mencia's show on comedy central when i was a kid

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

and so there is no great framework or group for running drone defense.

:cripes: i can see it now. Civil air drone militias like at the border lighting off belt fed usas12s everytime they see a bird or a leaf in the wind (poor Wash) thinking its a illegal drone. Using the same reason to exist of "well shiiit the gubmint wudnt doing enuff bought it"

Edit: time for salvo and SPIW to make a comeback

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The book went into detail about how most of the work was making the virus be mistaken for a cold for weeks and the sheathing for the virus to make it survivable in water and air. Plus they had the support of this chick in the presidents cabinet i believe? Some high scientific position in the government

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Alaan posted:

All signs point to them being inept and the system doesn't really matter.

Im reminded of the story the ex air force drone driver told me while training me for my current job. The short version is a saudi prince training with an american pilot has an issue during landing throws his hands up and declares "its in Allah's hands" and the American goes "The gently caress it is!" And lands whatever two seater they were flying. If memory serves it was the only saudi prince that particular instructor knew to have failed pilot training. Whether its 100% factual is anyones guess, the guy who trained me was pretty cool but the story could have been bs when it got to him.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The saudi airforce neporism was what made me suspend my disbelief and think it could possibly have a basis in truth

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Why would there be a tweetstorm? :confused:

Fox & Friends hasn’t talked about it.

He doesn't watch them anymore. They thought about doing real journalism once and then got tired and took a nap instead but it was still the end of the honeymoon

Edit: dammit thought this was ce thread

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I just realized that the stall video ISN'T a simulator.

:stonk:

The animation that popped up showing the relative position made me think that too, but then i realzied the angle the light was coming in was shifting.

:barf:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Because science is like crack i swear. There are few episodes of his i dont care for just because of how much covering his bases he does.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

Hit the atmosphere, you did all the work to get up there, you don't have to do it to come down.

I may be completely wrong but wouldnt the motor help keep the speed up once you hit atmo? He was talking about speed lost to air resistance the motor would help negate some of that right to keep your ke up?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

If the carrier or whatever it is is in orbit, it's doing a good 25kmph - oribit is fast. To insert it against something, you slow it down so you'll need some kind of rocket on the carrier or whatever, but once you're near atmosphere you can glide bomb. Which is actually terrifying to think about.

Yeah i was just thinking once you got to the atmo insertion point you could use the rocket to punch it at the ground fast than the inertia vs drag would let you do

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's kind of like adding a set of bicycle pedals to a NASCAR car so the driver can give an extra boost of speed, given the velocities we're talking about.

Fake this is why I prefaced it with i could be completely wrong lol

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Mellon_(WHEC-717)

That was one of the cutters that mounted the harpoons. I thought it was retired from damage after firing the missile but i was wrong. The other ship that had the missile mounted was the lead ship in the class. Its wiki page doesnt mention it and we just sold the ship to the Philippines.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 20, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

St tgis point while it may be true it was also most likely a clancy novel because goddamn if everything isnt already. Or dale brown or joe buff. Joe buff was the one with a resurgent south african that created the fourth reich and had tactical nuke torps getting tossed around like candy and diego garcia got nuked and the reason the US hadnt deployed strat nukes was onky tac nukes got drtonsted right?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I wonder if the watervliet arsenal is still set up to manu 16inchers just incase. I think they were one of the manu/refit depots for the shore defense battery models. They still make a bunch of arty and tank barrels and have some 16 inch barrel segments on the lawn for display. Used to see them across the river on the drive when i was going to hvcc

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

They just need to make the Havocs and Venoms from Gpolice and be done with it

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cuz occasionally we killed them first?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dumb non-gun person here, with a question: would have it cost that much to mass-produce an existing revolver instead of going down this rabbit hole of "can GM's headlight division mass-produce it"?

He covers that like 3 seconds later in the video. Most of that first contract was paying for the production capability to be set up. The next order would have had a price per gun of say half. Plus mass buying revolvers isnt deniable enough i guess for the cia

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I agree with you but that was the reasoning he found in his research. Plus i can see the cia using that kind of unlogic. Personally id think buying a bunch of revolvers in common euro calibers from across western europe would be more deniable but v0v

Edit: maybe just because they look like someone melted down scrap metal to cast it in a garage but when like 10k of them show up in a country in the middle id a civil war...

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I mean yeah that's great just air drop AKs that we can build because we bought up tooling after the wall fell now, but this is back in the 1950s when they had just made the switch from stamped to milled AKs because the initial stamping process wasnt good enough for russia to deal with so it's not like building AKs was cheap at that point.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im currently halfway between downtown charlotte and the nuke power plant so im assuming im getting vaporized a few times by near misses from both

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Haha yeah like they would target two outdated particle accelerators.

Gotta get the cloverfield monster up in this bitch somehow

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Syrian Lannister posted:

I do have a 10mm pistol and a bunch of ammo for it.

Out of curiosity glock, cz clone, or 1911? I picked cz and 1911

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's the flip side to engaging with lovely regimes. The US got in bed with Taiwan and S. Korea for the coldest of Cold War logic and supported the countries leadership when they were at their absolute shittiest and most repressive. However, there is also a good argument that the rising standards of living largely made possible by getting tied into US trade networks and the increased exposure to ideas like freedom of expression, due process, etc. from people interacting with Americans, going to American schools and such created the pro-democracy movements that ultimately reformed those countries into what they are today.

There is a powerful argument for engagement, but it can also lead to supporting some really awful poo poo.

How much did us helping the brits in the 50s fuckthings up for us during the revolution? Was there a chance if we handt helped they could have been less pissed at us? Im assuming they would still hate us for supporting iraq during the iran iraq war but maybe not as much?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They tried. Fly-by-wire and computer aided design flummoxed them. I remember reading a retrospective about 20 years ago written by a Russian general that posited computer illiteracy had just as much a hand in the end of the Soviet Union as the other generally-accepted causes/theories.

One line I remember specifically was something like "a Western child with an electronic toy had a better understanding of computers than we could hope to teach a Russian soldier in ten years' time."

An F-117 without FBW would be a horrible deathtrap that'd make the F-104 look like a Cessna 182 in comparison.

I imagine it woild end up a lot like the flying wing northrop tried where everyone went "yeah this is awesome but scaring the gently caress out of 1940s US aircraft people"

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I imagine the flying wing would be more stable than the f117 without fbw too just because of how much heavier it would be so...yeah...have fun with that thought

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

After they started pulling the trump levels of omg brown people they started losing. France's president won against one if memory serves?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McNally posted:

Strictly speaking if their goal truly is "correcting demographics" of the region (Jesus what a monstrous phrase), then getting rid of the Americans should also be part of the plan.

I thought thats what pulling out and letting the Kurds get genocided did? I figured we were pulling our guys all the way out not just taking our hands off the situation?

Edit: dammit this isnt CE

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is that the one that ran from austria or wherever to draft dodge?

First guy to EVA, Alexey Arkhipovich Leonov, died today.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 12, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sperglord posted:

Wait, so the US should pursue nation-building for the Kurds? That seems to be the general consensus here.

Honestly I would be all in favor of Isreal'ing the Kurds their own state complete with billions in financial and hardware aid every year for free

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McNally posted:

The term they used is "correcting demographics."

Also how is ethnic cleansing different from genocide?

The extent i think? Maybe just numbers? Or it could be a ethnic cleansing is just in this area and genocide is wherever you can find them? Honestly i don't know if there's a difference and i fell lovely from being able to come up with those. The fact that we have multiple words for the practice is disheartening

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

We need a new super eagle. With swing wings! And hookers!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Last i checked to fly anything in the us military you have to be an officer.

Edit: warrant officer for army helicopters. Do you need a degree to be a warrant?

Stravag fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 13, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The 100 mill pricetag on the Iowas is the 1940s price right?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Blistex posted:

:lol:

Ask Godholio why the AF has stuck with such outdated computer systems, and if there are any other examples of this.

Godholio seems like a cool dude dont make him suffer by reliving that kinda thing

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Blistex posted:

Asking for a Chinese friend I owe a lot of money to and who has some compromising photos of me, but what's the process of bricking B-61s? Mash the big yellow button? Or is it a more lengthy process involving a phillips and a key/code? Could three guys guarding them do it in the 4 minutes it would take to force down the door, or would they only be able to do 2 apiece in that time?

Feel free to disregard if I'm conjuring the OPSEC wizard.

Based off the documentary broken arrow you can just type a code in 3 times snd then it bricks itself

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Was thinking of those big ww2 bombing raids with hundreds of bombers and how the first planes up had to orbit until the later planes were taking off and had a question. If a big bomber like a b29 or b52 puts themselves into like a 15 degree banking turn to make a full circle how much territory does that cover? Tight enough to circle the airfield or more like you have planes circling the county? Answer in terms of b29s if that is too revealing for b52 procedures or anything. Or in terms like 707s so theres no problem with opsec or anything

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ah sweet thanks

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Oh thats really cool but it assumes you know the rated stall speed. If you dont does it make any difference to the turn characteristics? Or just to the stall info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I meant in the table i know it matters to a real aircraft