Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CIGNX posted:

Maybe my knowledge of Mid-East politics is really off, but who would they be pissing off with an open alliance?
Everyone not a cynical princeling. Most of these countries have been feeding their people anti-Israeli propaganda for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CIGNX posted:

Maybe my knowledge of Mid-East politics is really off, but who would they be pissing off with an open alliance? Don't all the other Arab countries that oppose Iran have pretty much the same relations with Israel as the Saudi's do?

On the level of heads of state? Probably wouldn't be a huge deal. We're a long way from the Camp David Accords being a stunner. Israel isn't realistically threatened by being invaded by any of their neighbors, for example, and hasn't been for decades. Their major security concerns are the Palestinian problem, Hezbollah, and poo poo leaking over from Syria, all of which are basically extensions of their larger competition with Iran.

The real issue is that a lot of Arab nations wouldn't be willing because of the domestic political considerations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The NYT is mostly trash but this Editoral from the board is not bad. In particular it emphasizes that this whole chain of events started when Trump backed out of the Iran nuclear deal.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I know its a few pages back but I really like this article, particularly because if bunch of Formula SAE engineering students and RC nerds got together to homegrow a ground launched cruise missile in 6-12 months this is exactly what they'd build.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The NYT is mostly trash but this Editoral from the board is not bad. In particular it emphasizes that this whole chain of events started when Trump backed out of the Iran nuclear deal.

The boundaries of "this whole chain of events" seems pretty arbitary.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

The boundaries of "this whole chain of events" seems pretty arbitary.

Isn't it always, sorta?

(At least when talking about politics)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I'd be really wary of pinning this on Trump. Iran was already balls deep in Yemen, Syria, and Iraq when Trump stumbled onto the scene and pooped himself. The proxy war between the two has been ramping up uninterrupted for about a decade now.

This is not a conflict revolving around the United States.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 17, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's still hard not to look at the US unilaterally pulling out of JCPOA, though, and then threatening Europe with sanctions. That move wasn't something a decade in the making.

E:

Top shelf trolling

https://twitter.com/golnarm/status/1173692960610881536?s=21

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 17, 2019

Alaan
May 24, 2005

All signs point to them being inept and the system doesn't really matter.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Alaan posted:

All signs point to them being inept and the system doesn't really matter.

Im reminded of the story the ex air force drone driver told me while training me for my current job. The short version is a saudi prince training with an american pilot has an issue during landing throws his hands up and declares "its in Allah's hands" and the American goes "The gently caress it is!" And lands whatever two seater they were flying. If memory serves it was the only saudi prince that particular instructor knew to have failed pilot training. Whether its 100% factual is anyones guess, the guy who trained me was pretty cool but the story could have been bs when it got to him.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Having good neighbors makes the US look amazing at homeland defense compared to other countries.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Walker was a CWO who retired, then recruited/press ganged his brother and son to spy as well.

Ames actually got agents straight up killed, and he and Hanssen were spying for the Russians at the same time and compromising ongoing mole hunts, including their own.

BORAT VOICE MY FATHER grew up in the same neighborhood as/with Hanssen's wife (she obviously wasn't married to him then, being an literal childe at the time).

She wasn't very nice, apparently?

E: Wait, which was the creepy Catholic one? That one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Schadenboner posted:

BORAT VOICE MY FATHER grew up in the same neighborhood as/with Hanssen's wife (she obviously wasn't married to him then, being an literal childe at the time).

She wasn't very nice, apparently?

E: Wait, which was the creepy Catholic one? That one.

Yes, the Hanssens were heavy into Opus Dei, her specifically.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Stravag posted:

Im reminded of the story the ex air force drone driver told me while training me for my current job. The short version is a saudi prince training with an american pilot has an issue during landing throws his hands up and declares "its in Allah's hands" and the American goes "The gently caress it is!" And lands whatever two seater they were flying. If memory serves it was the only saudi prince that particular instructor knew to have failed pilot training. Whether its 100% factual is anyones guess, the guy who trained me was pretty cool but the story could have been bs when it got to him.

Sounds like horse poo poo because I've heard the exact same story about south East Asian trainee pilots on a commercial airline program. It's a template for disparaging non whites as pilots and should be dumped as the racist nonsense it is.

That is not to say that the Saudi airforce doesn't have problems with nepotism.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The saudi airforce neporism was what made me suspend my disbelief and think it could possibly have a basis in truth

brains
May 12, 2004

Stravag posted:

it is, for all intents and purposes, practically impossible for a US mil flight school to fail a foreign student. the student's government has already paid for them to be trained, and it is not a pass/fail thing like it would be for a US servicemember, so barring killing someone during training they will "graduate" and be sent back to their respective country. having trained foreign nationals in this role, the saudis were often problematic because they were smart enough to know the system is rigged in their favor, and they knew there were no repercussions if they didn't actually try to learn anything. there were similar issues with other middle-eastern students, though (with the exception of the jordanians; those guys were always super professional). a lot of those sent over were very upper class and saw their time in the US as party time and viewed actual soldiering as lower class or beneath them. all of our foreign students, regardless of talent or motivation, would be out drinking and partying every night till 3am no matter what we had planned the next day. a number of our afghan students would inevitably desert to canada.

the story, while probably hyperbole, does reflect a real issue with the officer selection in middle eastern militaries. they frequently pick upper class guys who don't want to put in the work and are just checking the box for social status. the ones that are motivated and want to learn are just as competent and trainable as any western pilot.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
A classmate of mine who was an instructor at ranger school said that they tacitly didn't fail students from some countries because one guy got executed when he failed BOLC.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
"Whoops" :staredog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CsO-Vu7oc

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

It's still hard not to look at the US unilaterally pulling out of JCPOA, though, and then threatening Europe with sanctions. That move wasn't something a decade in the making.

E:

Top shelf trolling

That was an idiot move by an idiot president, but it's not really a big factor in how we got to Iran lobbing cruise missiles at KSA. The larger issue of the US being less reliable and generally all over the loving place diplomatically has likely helped things boil over a tad more than they would have otherwise in both directions, though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Iraq war combined with post-Iraq war doubling down on “gently caress you, Iran, and gently caress anyone else who trades basic goods with Iran” has not done great things for stability, in any case.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://www.avgeekery.com/time-boeing-717-went-inverted-testing/

quote:

According to a comment on a similar video posted on Vimeo, the 717 was on a test flight in warning area W-291 over the Pacific off the coast of California. The particular 717 was the first off the line. The aircraft had previously experienced some unusual stall characteristics. This test was an attempt to determine why so that engineers could solve the issue.

"Unusual stall characteristics" indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrhSLf0I-HM&t=201s

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 18, 2019

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Iraq war combined with post-Iraq war doubling down on “gently caress you, Iran, and gently caress anyone else who trades basic goods with Iran” has not done great things for stability, in any case.

If for no other reason than removing Iran's primary regional rival created a power vacuum and a region of long term instability right smack in the middle of things, yeah.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

:stare:

Well there’s some new nightmare fuel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

E:

Top shelf trolling

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen an executive twitter storm over this. It's a pretty thinly veiled jab at the US.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

holy loving mother of God

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen an executive twitter storm over this. It's a pretty thinly veiled jab at the US.

Why would there be a tweetstorm? :confused:

Fox & Friends hasn’t talked about it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Why would there be a tweetstorm? :confused:

Fox & Friends hasn’t talked about it.

He doesn't watch them anymore. They thought about doing real journalism once and then got tired and took a nap instead but it was still the end of the honeymoon

Edit: dammit thought this was ce thread

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Like he's going to say anything about Big Daddy.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Apache Longbow so cool! I played that game when I was 12 or whatever. I didn't know what millimeter wave radar was though! Obvious in retrospect how it worked. Such a cool concept where you can poke the radome over the ridge and shoot them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkH-VqFbcrc&t=526s

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Gunship 2000 + Islands & Ice was my jam

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Holy poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How is it possible that the stall characteristics are that malicious?

Did the test pilot kill the designer’s dog?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
E: not the CE thread.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 18, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That communication and response was pretty goddamn impressive.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Isn't the president pretty explicitly outside the purview of this thread?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Will you all shut the gently caress up about Trump and talk about literally anything else?

This is the Airpower/Cold War thread. I know we get into modern poo poo now and again because it's become the de facto military/foreign affairs thread, but I don't want it to become the Trump thread.

The dude sucks. He's a goddamned disaster whatever party you happen to like, but I'd also like to not have to read about him when I"m watching two dudes react with supernatural calm when a prototype civilian airliner tries its very hardest to kill them.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

tbf, if I don't check the thread title I can get the GiP CE thread, the NYC thread and the airpower thread confused because there is a startling amount of crossover topic wise

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

How is it possible that the stall characteristics are that malicious?

Did the test pilot kill the designer’s dog?

That’s 717 number 1. The engineers had no idea why its stall behavior was a little weird so they asked for more stall testing and then that happened.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smiling Jack posted:

holy loving mother of God

:stare:

Were they...trying to do that

e: beaten

Do they all do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s 717 number 1. The engineers had no idea why its stall behavior was a little weird so they asked for more stall testing and then that happened.

All I can think about now is being a passenger when that happens and then having to sit there for the remainder of the flight with 90 other people that poo poo their pants