Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Threads is a fine movie for scaring the crap out of people and for a reasonably accurate depiction of the hell on earth that would likely follow a major nuclear exchange. That being said I'm pretty fond of the movie Testament.

It's a story about a suburb of San Francisco during a nuclear attack. The suburb itself is not directly impacted by the exchange, but they have to deal with all of the consequences. No power, no food, no deliveries, no fuel, all that stuff. No communications, the one old guy with a ham radio trying to communicate with the outside world and get inspired reports of devastation everywhere else, and other fun stuff like that.

It's real heavy on the sad. Everyone slowly dies of radiation poisoning from fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Beardless posted:

I assume you mean TG? and what game system where you going to use?

Better be actual Twilight 2000. If it's not, I is uninterested. If it's Twilight 2000, I may be convinced to get in the basement and dust off my dice.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Beardless posted:

Awesome, let me know when you're ready to go. I'll have to look at the setting, my understanding is that the original game at least was about US soldiers stuck in Europe after the Cold War goes hot.

Pretty much that.

Fragmented parts of the army with massive military might (and no logistics) move slowly through the landscape of Eastern Europe looking for fuel and munitions and periodically get asked by scared and IED laden village people to help them address an EVIL THREAT as well as hold the potential for gaining more fuel and ammo.

Rinse, repeat.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I always thought that these "spray fragments at the incoming RPG/ATGM with explosives" active protection systems would be literal murder on any troops operating neat the tanks.

Shoot an RPG at the tank, pulverize any troops nearby.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

"The explosively formed penetrator incorporates a center core for hard target lethality, while the fragmentation ring effectively defeats soft targets, and their ancillary equipment."

You know. The meat. :black101:

Armorchat: if I recall correctly the reasons that DU makes such a good armor penetrator has more to it than just hardness and density.

It's pyrophoric, so it lights itself on fire on impact. It's also self sharpening. Rather than blunting or riveting on impact, flakes snap off the point, continually presenting a sharp tip to the armor the penetrator is punching through.

Glad to see to Skeet submunitions are working. Those things have been in development since the 80''s.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

:sigh:

I know, just like I know we'll never get a strategy driven budget process.

Here's a cool video about the history of BMD, up through Safeguard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARx2-wRn9-Y

That channel has a lot of cool old Bell Labs videos.

e: Hahaha, check out "Heavy Action" (i.e. the MNF theme) at around 16:45.

That was genuinely cool! Now I know where some of my favorite clips of the safeguard program came from.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Caconym posted:

Nonono, they obiously used this other Swedish (BAE-Sweden) thing, Adaptive IR camo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLqdFsMnCE

Four aircraft holding off an entire rating army. Neat!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Counterpoint: The MiG-25 is the coolest looking plane ever. It just looks completely badass from any angle. If I could take a ride in any plane, that would be the one. :allears:

Save your pennies!

rusadventures.com/tour6.shtml

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Grandpa a was a machinist who made gears and gear assemblies. Too valuable a worker to send to the front.

Other grandpa ran away from the nazis and the soviets as he and his family got the gently caress out of the Ukrane prior to the war really heating up.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I don't care if it's McNamara's version of the f35 "do everything" aircraft, I always thought the F111 looked sexy as hell.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

priznat posted:

I've been reading about the XB-70 here and there on the web, sure was a neat looking plane.

I'm sure someone posted pics they took visiting the surviving one in Ohio in this thread somewhere.

Even cooler than the Concorde!

The worst part about seeing the one in Ohio is they wouldn't let me sit there, stare at it, and jerk off.

Made me sad.

It's such an awesome, massive, technology platform. I have several books about the B-70 and the pictures are pretty drat awesome.

It was supposed to carry the also cancelled Skybolt ALBM.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Phanatic posted:

That's a Clancy hallmark. Executive Orders had two or three entire subplots that have nothing to do with anything else and don't effect anything else. The guys with the cement truck full of ANFO spend all this time planning an attack that never happens because they randomly get caught at a truck stop. Dozens and dozens of pages that could have been completely excised from the book and changed *nothing*. Ditto for the disgraced ex-Vice President trying to get Ryan kicked out of office, much ado about

Isn't that subplot the one where Ryan ends up being "confirmed" the president because someone says the right "magic words" in a meeting?

Something like " you referred to him as President while on record, so now he IS President!! GOTCHA!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Cardinal of the Gremlin is a awesome title. I'm picturing a Tom Clancy type technothriller written between acid hits by Phillip K. Dick.

What clancy book is it where there's a plot to assassinate the pope? That's the only Clancy book I've read aside from Red Storm rising, and one of the subplots is the foolishness of universal healthcare. Which is pretty much the content of the argument too; the best thing Clancy can throw at us is Ryan's hot doctor wife being horrified that British surgeons have a beer over lunch.

Is that the one with the partial birth abortion scene in China or is that a different book?

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 20, 2014