Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Babbages used to have that policy where they'd remove the discs from the case. One time I bought a 'special edition' version of a game, and they slipped in the regular edition and argued with me when I told them that they weren't giving me the right game.

lovely policy. How would it hurt them to charge $5 less for opened items (same as they charge for smudgy rear end ones)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Coming full circle...

I used to be an avid PC Gamer. I upgraded every two years, kept myself at the bleeding edge of what games would accept, and looked down my nose at the console people who had no idea what they were missing.

Then came XBox Live and the 360. The ability to matchmake easily, as well as several console only games (at the time) such as Halo 2/3, NCAA Football, Mass Effect, etc. as well as the achievement craze and PC Piracy debacles (Ubisoft in particular) led me on a 4 year sojourn into console-only outside of RTS games, MMOs and NWN.

Now though, I find myself more engrossed in games like Minecraft, old space shooters (Freespace), and games which just aren't being made for consoles. With the ability to use my 360 controller on the PC, if some games were being made for PC (Football in particular) I wouldn't have a reason to stick with consoles at all outside of media streaming. Heck, if they would drop the stupid copy protection schemes which install rootkits and other fun things on your PC I'd be PC-only again.

Steam in particular has driven me more toward PC on several titles (Battlefield, Orange Box, etc.)

Maybe this would work better as a blog post... but is anyone else in the same boat?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I guess it is a step up from buying popular companies just to fire everyone and produce turds under the name.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Just built my new system with SSD 128GB/1TB WD Black. Most games load extremely quick being installed on the WD Black. I haven't really run into a reason to load on the other.

I do have 16GB of RAM. For those in my position, wouldn't a RAM disk suffice?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

BizarroBrian posted:

Anyone have recommendations for really good 5.1/7.1 gaming headphones with a mic? I want to seriously upgrade from my lovely Radioshack blue light special pair

I enjoy the Turtle Beach X12s, but I may be in the minority. My only complaint is that they hurt my ears after a few hours.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I use a cheap USB wifi adapter that works well.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I used OBS. Only did one vid though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYa6lHU5fo

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How did you get that edge on the right there of the webcam?

I used an overlay. I took a screenshot of the menu bar, and overlaid it in OBS over the webcam. I also have a green screen now, so I can actually remove the background or make it transparent if I need.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
RE: Building a PC. I've built my last 4. Every single one booted on the first go. Best thing is to put as much as you can on the motherboard before seating it inside the case. CPU seating just make sure your pins line up and don't force anything. People look at me weird because I'll just yank a case open, toss a few things out, cram a few things in, and it works fine. I just know what you can manhandle and what you can't, so I like to make people nervous.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Deathadder is a really clean design, which is one of the reasons I got one. The only :pcgaming: thing is the stupid blue logo on the body that fades in and out, you can disable it but that requires installing the awful software so gently caress it.

I have the black version with no led. Great for Starcraft.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

Oh yeah, is Tomb Raider one of those games that will let me go back and get 100% when I complete the main story or is there a point of no return where I can't zip around and look for crap anymore?

You can go back as long as you don't complete the last mission.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do most people use the built in 360 controller drivers on PC or is there a better alternative?

I haven't had a problem with them. Do you have a specific issue?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Coughing Hobo posted:

You can currently use the Xbone gamepad on a PC as long as you wire it with a micro-usb cable.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/xbox-one-pc-drivers-for-xbox-one-controller

I play with an XBone controller. It is pretty much exactly like the 360 controller except with a less lovely D-pad.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I just build a new PC every 5 years and make sure to budget about $1500 to the effort. Usually that gets me a PC that doesn't choke on anything for at least 5 years.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah that kinda seems like a huge waste of money compared to just upgrading your CPU and GPU when they start to falter.

On the plus side the older systems get recycled down to my kids, so it works out.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Sab669 posted:

Watch Dogs on Steam for $35... Y/N? Is it another lovely port?

Yes from what I hear, although there are mods which apparently make the textures not look like rear end.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Currently have a 660 TI in my rig. Would now be a good time to upgrade to the 960? Or should I wait a bit longer for other cards to drop in price? I'd prefer to keep it sub-$300 on a video card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
My XBONE controller shuts off if you just hold down the X button for a few seconds. Not sure if that works the same for the 360 wireless.

• Locked thread