Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Recently started up a weekly movie podcast for my blog Smug Film. Regular co-hosts include fellow film-obsessed goon and Smug Film critic penismightier. We're three episodes in at the moment, and new episodes go up every Monday (Sunday night at Midnight).

If you like movies of all sorts of genres, this is the podcast for you! We candidly discuss the new and the old. Check us out on iTunes.

Thello posted:

Anyone experienced with monetization, re: sponsorships or other forms of making some dang rent money? I managed to get a couple episodes licensed on PRX, but the pay is pennies by the minute.

We've been able to find a sponsor for each episode, just by putting the word out to friends. Our price is $10 for a 45-60 second plug at the start of the show, as well a written plug in the blog post for each episode.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Serious Cephalopod posted:

God drat, I need to learn what the gently caress I'm doing

You're being ripped off. You can do a better sounding podcast on your own, in your apartment, for cheaper. Not cheaper than $100, but in the long run, cheaper.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Ulta posted:

The cheapest solution is to have everyone record locally, and then sync your sound. Barring that, I don't have that kind of problem with Skype. Generally turn off video, close all background stuff like Steam, etc, since the less unnessary bandwidth you use theotically the better the sound. The big things you can buy hardware wise are good mics ( yetis go on sale for 60 occassionally, but non-sale prices a reasonable mic is about $100), a pop filter (cheap but useless without a good mic) and an external sound card (also probably the most expensive option)

Seconding skype as the better option. I've done podcasts with people halfway across the globe that way, with no latency issues or anything.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Mr.48 posted:

Hey guys, what do you think about one-man podcasts?

I've been thinking of doing a podcast on my own, which I guess would make it more of a radio-show in style. The goal would be to discuss scientific papers, but to do it in a rather in-depth way including criticism and discussions of methodology. I know there already are a lot of science-based podcasts, but I feel like they gloss over too much detail in order to make their shows more appealing to a wide audience. My idea is to make a specialized show that goes in-depth, which I realize will appeal to fewer people. My intended audience would be fellow scientists and members of the public who are interested in seeing "how the sausage" is made so to speak.

I could of course try to rope in someone else to do the show together, but I feel like the logistics of trying to coordinate with multiple people would be a pain in the rear end.

Just record yourself well and keep it interesting. Add intro music, outro music. Maybe some audio clips of other people talking here and there to break it up. There's no reason it can't work, and there are plenty of ways you can spice it up. Good luck with it!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Mr.48 posted:

Thanks for the encouragement! Also, your username sounds super-familiar, but I cant remember where I saw it before.

You're welcome! I've done a lot of different things online, could be from any of that. Google my name (my username) and you'll probably find something you remember me from.

Porkchop Express posted:

Does iTunes have a set time that it updates its podcast directory? I know it does it once every 24 hours, but I can't figure out what time they do it at.

We are trying to figure it out so we can plan what day of the week we want to set as the release day so we can figure out what time it needs to be submitted by.

Do you mean the release day for your podcast, or release day for an episode? Most podcasts post new episodes on Monday. I usually update my RSS at around midnight on Sunday and the episode is up by early morning Monday.

If you're talking about a release day for your podcast, it's unpredictable when exactly it'll get approved and go up, but it usually goes up sooner than you think.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 18, 2015

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

xcore posted:

Guess this as good a place than any to ask.

I've got a mate that has his own MMA podcast with his mate. They have been going for a while but I have only just started listening.

I picked up on a fair few verbal ticks/crutches in their interview technique. I'm a total amateur, but it's one of those things that you notice if they are there but I don't know what the alternative is or what the pros would do instead.

The main thing I noticed was how they handle their responses to subject's answers or transition in to new questions. One guys always goes "Absolutely" and then asks another question or if their next question is related to their follow up they will do a "It's interesting that you mention that...."

How are you supposed to handle this? Anyone have any resources for broadcasting/interviewing tips?

I edit stuff like that (and too-long pauses, and umms/likes) out of my podcast in post. I do it in such a way that no listeners would even know that I edited anything out, and then over time, I've found that there's way less that I need to edit out. This is probably due to me forcing myself through editing to really analyze every word I say. So I'd suggest trying that.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
If anyone's interested, just as a goon favor I'll plug any of your podcasts at the beginning of mine (Smug Film) for the next 5 episodes, one per each episode. And if you feel like returning the favor by plugging mine back, that's great, if not, that's fine too. So, first five goons with podcasts to PM me gets a free plug! Be sure to link me to your pod in your PM.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

boytree posted:

For anyone who wants more iTunes reviews, I have created an iTunes review exchange in Google Docs. I've already found a couple of great shows on SA, and I'm looking forward to finding more. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

SA iTunes Reviews Exchange

Very cool idea, just added my pod to the list! Don't have time to listen to the others / write reviews today, but will do so in the next day or two.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

thehustler posted:

Since you mention quality, can we talk about gear here?

For Smug Film we use:

Heil PR-40's (Three in total, got a good deal from them at HamCity, I think they were like $280 each? Now they're $327 on there, which seems to be standard price for them most places.)

Heil Windscreens (Early on we used mesh pop filters, but they didn't really filter the pops enough, and were cumbersome. Looked into getting those metal ones people typically use on PR-40's, but in videos of people using the product, I could see that they were popping just like my mesh ones did. Finally, on a lark, decided to try the Heil Windscreens. They get rid of pops PERFECTLY. No pops whatsoever. And, they're only $20 a piece, whereas those metal pop filters go for like $60 or so.)

Mackie 1202VLZ4 (I love the preamps on this, at one time we had just an old crappy Samson mixer but the preamps were horrible so I upgraded to this one. Night and day.)

Behringer MDX-4600 (My favorite piece of gear. Of all the equipment I have, this is the game changer. Really makes everything sound much more professional. If I had to get rid of all my equipment except for one thing, this is what I'd keep. Even with cheap microphones and a cheap mixer, this baby sings.)

Zoom H4n (Not ideal for mixer recording, wish I had something that takes line level, but I already owned it prior to podcasting, and with attenuators it's fine.)

Hosa XLR Attenuator (Two of these, to record from mixer to H4n.)

Behringer Microamp HA400 (For splitting headphones, so we all can hear ourselves.)

Sennheiser HD-280 (Not the best, but they are quite good, and certainly do the trick. If I had the money I'd get rid of em and get Sony MDR 7506's.)

Samson SP01 Spider Mounts (Pop out the ring, and they work for PR40's. Much cheaper than Heil's option.)

On Stage Boom Mic Stands (We have no place where we could put broadcast arms. These are fine.)

And then the rest of what we have is just cables to connect things to things. I process in Audition, edit in Audacity (I like a simpler interface for cutting) and noise reduce in iZotope RX.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

thehustler posted:

Awesome kit list. I'm very jealous. That Behringer compressor in particular is droolworthy, but to be honest the Audition software compressor does me absolutely fine. I love that punch it gives to your vocals.

Also, no line in on the H4N? Seriously?

Thanks! I use the Audition compressor too, mostly I use the MDX-4600 to get rid of background noise, mouth sounds, typing sounds, etc. I like that all I'm recording is voices, nothing else. And it cleans up Skype a lot.

And yeah, don't get me started on the h4n. I love the thing, it's a great piece of equipment for most things you'd wanna do with it, but the fact that they didn't include line-in on it is like such a dick move.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

vizanto posted:

Hey all, so I wanted to reach out for some advice on hosting sites.

Right now I host a podcast on podomatic, it's kind of unique in that it's designed more as a promotional piece. Basically my friends run a theater company out in Phoenix and the podcast is designed to give interviews to actors and designers who work with us and talk about our upcoming shows. I'll link it anyway for any thoughts and tips on improving my weak hosting skills. Though again the podcast is really more designed for people who know us.

http://brelby.podomatic.com/

I'm asking because right now Podomatic's free account has been fine for what we've been doing, 40 or so minutes every two weeks or so and I just rotate out the oldest one. However, we're moving towards weekly recordings so I wanted to know the best place for hosting price wise since at this point we're going to need to put money down. My "producer" (the person who owns the theater) also wants to get us hosted on itunes, though I'm at a bit of a loss on how to get the ball rolling on that or if it'd even be worth it.

Getting on iTunes is easy, there's really nothing to it other than having your RSS feed properly formatted and maintained. They take pretty much any submission. As far as hosting, just get regular domain hosting and a domain name for the podcast. I like these guys, plus they're goons: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818800

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

red19fire posted:

I'm about to start recording my first episode today :woop: This is probably unfeasible, but would it work to record from the H4n's onboard mic while hiking? Or at least outdoors in general? My house is kind of echoey, but there's lots of quiet hiking spots not far from here.

E: What are your settings for recording? According to google results I should be at 48k/16bit, but then there's arguments for and against using lo-cut and comp settings.

If you're gonna record outdoors with the h4n, I'd suggest a dead kitten (yes, that's really what it's called) to stick on top of the mics. Also, keep in mind that if you're gonna be using the h4n handheld, you'll be getting noise from your fingers moving on it.

As far as sample rate, go 44.1 khz. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who records a podcast at 48 khz. And as far as any settings beyond that, such as lo-cut and compression, that's all to taste.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 19, 2015

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Today my podcast hit 50 episodes! Woo! It's incredible to think i've done that many. For some reason, in my head it still feels like there's only been 20 or so. I can't even imagine what it'll feel like when I've done 100.

Here's the episode, if any of y'all want to check it out. It's about all sorts of horror movies: http://smugfilm.com/ep50/

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

8one6 posted:

Congrats!

Thanks yall. Definitely will!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Alfalfa posted:

1) If it is myself and another person in the room, what is the best way to interview someone and record it if they will be on phone, skype, etc?

If you want people to be able to call in on their phone, set up a phone number through Skype. It's pretty cheap and it allows people to call into your Skype on their phone, no computer required on their part.

As far as actually connecting Skype to how you're recording, that depends on you budget, equipment, etc. But definitely use Skype for your phone calls, not just Skype calls. It's really the most headache free way of doing it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

boytree posted:

Google is preparing to integrate podcasts into Play Music. Here's the announcement and the link to add yours to their directory. Could be huge.

Thanks for the heads up! Just submitted mine.

By the way, has anyone here done a Patreon page for their podcast? I just sent one up today, and I'd love to hear what your experiences have been.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

boytree posted:

Wow, you hit your first goal within hours. Congratulations!

Thanks! Yeah, we really didn't expect that to happen so fast. Now we're scrambling to come up with some more milestones to put up, and maybe some more rewards too.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

King Lou posted:

Took a few weeks but Lou Reads is available in the Google Play thing now.

https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/Izk43puqf7rq3kcxsz6mef3iazi

I JUST NOW got the pun in your podcast title. After all this time. Sigh.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Rabble posted:

Once a week we talk about a movie that's rated less than three stars on Netflix.

Not sure if you already know this, but the star ratings that appear on Netflix are based on your own taste as determined by other films or shows you've rated on there, not based on all ratings the film or show has received. So, they aren't necessarily poorly-rated films or shows, Netflix just doesn't think you'll like them.

Sounds like a fun premise for a show though, and I wish you success with it!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

klapman posted:

My friends and I have been running a podcast over at https://soundcloud.com/shareware-316798169 for almost a year now, though we can't boast even 30 listeners per episode on average. We have a steady base, so I'm confident that our content is at least good enough to keep people around, but getting our name out there is proving a little difficult. Do you guys have any tips on how to boost the signal or however you want to phrase it? We're on iTunes, we've got an RSS feed, we even have a Stitcher and I don't know what that is.

The audio quality of your podcast is quite low. That you have even 30 listeners per episode is great, actually. That means you have 30 diehards who don't care about your low production values. That's a solid base. But if you want to start expanding and reaching more people, the best thing you can do is create a more listenable podcast. You'll have a much easier time getting new listeners that way.

If you don't already have one, I'd say start a Patreon and see if any your 30 listeners want to throw a couple bucks your way so you have money for better equipment. Plug the Patreon every episode. Even if you only raise like $30 a month, that's $360 you'd have towards equipment that you didn't have before.

Best of luck!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

mincedgarlic posted:

Could you possibly expand more on this?

People like to listen to stuff that sounds good. It's kinda like how a crappy pop song with amazing production values can become a hit. A more relatable example, at least for me: I have absolutely no interest in cars, but I've seen over a hundred episodes of Top Gear, because I really like how the show is produced, and the dynamic of the hosts.

The best thing a niche podcast can do is sound really good. For one, it puts you ahead of sometimes literally all of your competition within your niche, or at least most. If you're a knitting podcast, for example, and the big knitting podcast sounds like garbage but has a lot of listeners, if you have the host as a guest on an episode of your podcast and your podcast is better audio quality than theirs, you're gonna grab a LOT of their listeners. WAY more than if your podcast has similar audio quality or worse than theirs. People crave things that sound good.

The great thing about podcasting is that it doesn't actually cost that much to up production values. Sometimes your main competition is literally just a bunch of guys sitting vaguely near one microphone, and they do no editing or processing whatsoever. In a case like that, simply buying designated microphones (even $20 ones) for the people on your show and a mixer can put you way ahead of the pack. Think of it like this: what other medium can you be instantly ahead of almost ALL your competition, production values-wise, simply by spending $500 or so? It's insane, it's unheard of. There's no excuse for a podcast to not sound incredible. And yet so few beef up their production values.

Equipment I swear by, to get people started:
- MDX4600 (cuts down on background noise, makes any mic sound way better)
- MDR1064 (inexpensive mixer that doesn't sacrifice useful stuff like inserts for the channels)
- literally any $15+ dynamic cardioid mic with 4 1/2 stars or more on Amazon (they're all good when used in combo with an MDX4600)
- Tascam DR-05 (cheapest portable audio recorder, just as good as $100 or $150 ones)

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 14, 2017

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

klapman posted:

One thing that Josh suggested when I mentioned I posted in this thread was asking how you guys handle listener participation. We've managed to scrounge together some in the time we've been doing it, but a big part of what we want the Game Club to be involves people writing in with their own takes on whatever game we're playing, and despite fairly aggressive shilling it's proven hard to come by. Do you guys know of any subtle, elegant ways to get more people watching? So far we've been doing giveaways, reading listener emails, and posting on popular forums for the games we play.

With Smug Film we tried having a Skype phone number people could call from their phones or from Skype and leave voicemails with questions/comments that we'd play on the show. Worked out pretty well, but a problem we ran into was that we often had the same people calling over and over, because I think a lot of our fans were nervous to call in and have their voice heard on the show. Leaving voicemails in general is awkward for most people, let alone knowing a lot of people will hear it. It was $60 a year for the phone number, which our Patreon covered (as well as all our site costs), but I don't know that we'd do it again. However, having that call-in number did save our rear end on two separate occasions when we had high-profile guests that we could only get on the show via phone, not Skype.

If you have a particularly charismatic or animatedly voiced guy in your group, I'd say every episode encourage people to write in with questions or comments, and he can read them. They'd probably be interested in doing so so they can hear said guy read their words. Maybe even ask a special question at the end of each episode, so they have a topic for their comments.

GIveaways I've never had any luck with whatsoever. We've given away DVD's, signed merch, etc. and I'm always flabbergasted by how few people enter into the drawings. They assume they have a 1 in 1000 or whatever shot of winning, but based on people that would actually put their name in the hat, they often really had like a 1 in 5 shot. It was really that few.

Are there are any people related to the games you talk about on the show that you could have on? Maybe some programmers or designers? It's a lot easier to get people to listen to the show if you say 'hey, you might like this episode, we had [guy you people like] on' rather than 'hey, you might like me and my friends' podcast'. But, make sure the interview will actually sound good. Have the kinks all worked out with equipment.

Another important think to remember is that podcasting is like the greatest networking tool around. If you ask somebody established in your niche if they wanna meet up and talk for an hour, you'll never get a response. But if you ask them to be on your podcast, more often than not they're gonna say yes. Do that over and over with tons of people within your niche and suddenly you're associated with or even friends with all these people you were once just fans of. It's incredible. Forget booze—podcasting is the new best social lubricant.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 14, 2017

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

mincedgarlic posted:

Thanks codyclarke for all of the helpful input.

One rookie mixer question I'm trying to tackle is separating mics on to individual tracks. I'm not sure I need to do this for my purposes with two hosts but it seems like I should have the capability if I need to edit the commentary of one host. I'm using a mixer with a USB interface connected to my Macbook w/Garageband. I have two XLR mics connected to the mixer. In the Audio/Midi settings, the mixer appears as one device and thus anything coming in through is recorded on to one audio track. This may be how it's supposed to work but I was under the impression that I could record the mics each as an independent track in the software simultaneously. I've scoured the net and found a few suggestions about panning the mics hard left/right to send them to separate tracks but haven't had success. It seems like as long at the mixer is recognized by OS X & Garageband as one input, than it = one track.

I feel like I missing something elementary here. Any suggestions?

This is a bit out of my expertise (I record mono to a portable audio recorder) but I'm pretty sure that if you need each voice to be a separate track, you need a USB audio interface rather than a mixer, with enough channels for each person. I think that's overkill though—that's more what you'd need if you were a musician recording separate instruments at once. For what is essentially talk radio you really only need mono. I've had no problem editing out certain things said in post. Just try and keep crosstalk to a minimum, that'll make it easier. And encourage people to pause here and there, rather than feel the need to fill every possible moment with speaking. It's really easy to just cut dead air out in post since it's very visible when you look at the waveform. And no one will ever know. For instance: one of my podcast guests spoke with really long pauses every couple words. I cut most of them out in post because they ruined the pace of the show and made the episode like 20 minutes longer and the content seem way boring. Anyone listening to the finished episode would think he was the most articulate dude they ever heard in their life. He sounded incredible.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

SwitchbladeKult posted:

What is the best way to connect with other podcasters?

Within whatever your niche is, 99.9% of them will have a twitter account for their podcast. So just search around on twitter, or first go on iTunes and find names of podcasts within your niche and then find their twitter.

Then follow them, and most will follow back since they usually follow back anyone who follows them (since it's just an account for their pod). When they do that you can DM them.

The best thing to say is something along the lines of 'hey, really dig your podcast, would love to have you guys on mine and vice versa, cross-promotion, blah blah blah'. But don't just say all that arbitrarily, actually familiarize yourself with what they do.

You can also just email them obviously, but I find that people are slower to email back than they are to respond to things on twitter.

The idea here is that their fans will hear your podcast, and vice versa. If your podcast has better audio quality than theirs and you're entertaining, you'll definitely get some of their fans to subscribe to yours. People are on an endless pursuit (that they are often not even conscious of being on) for better-sounding podcasts to listen to.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 16, 2017

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

HOT! New Memes posted:

What would be the best way to find a short (15-20 second) intro music for a podcast? I found a f few sites that offer free intros but nothing fits what I'm looking for. I wouldn't mind paying if I could find the right one but I'm not sure where to begin looking

You've probably already been on here if you've been googling around, but I've found great stuff on here: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
What's the best cheap way to get podcast stats? Downloads per ep, per month, etc. This is for a podcast that is on iTunes and hosted on one's own host, not on libsyn or soundcloud or whatever.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Loutre posted:

Any suggestions for a mic for a lovely room acoustically? I have an AT2020, which was great in a carpeted room with no background, but now I'm in all wood floor, plaster walls. It sounds worse than the mic on my 50 dollar gaming headset in these conditions - way worse, people I Skype with prefer my built in laptop mic to this.

Can I maybe build an enclosure or something? I'd rather pay for an excellent VO mic that has zero range/background than totally redo a room of my house.

Rather than a new mic, an MDX4600 might do the trick. Even professional broadcast microphones need something like this in order to sound like what you're looking for. In fact, if I ever had to pare down my equipment, I'd keep the MDX4600 and sell my PR40's (not that they aren't lovely) and use $30 dynamic mics.

If the problem persists, I'd say switch to a dynamic mic rather than a condenser mic, maybe an SM58.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Metrofreak posted:

Oh, and if anyone has any idea how to tell iTunes to change our display picture. That'd be nice. It's supposed to be automatic based on the RSS feed, but it ain't doin it.

Are you embedding the album art into each mp3? Gotta do that to make sure it shows up with art everywhere.