Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I didn't see a thread for this, so hopefully it's not too off topic. Where to people look for software development jobs? This is for the Boston metro area, in case there is something specific for there.

I've been using Dice, Indeed, and sometimes Ziprecruiter. I might try Monster again but boy I don't like that site. I know Dice is a technology job site, but it is also absolutely choked with relocation jobs for the same one or two companies, so it's hard to find anything. I tried googling it but it seems to just be Indeed five times and sites that have jobs as a side gig like Glassdoor and LinkedIn, which I'm not sure about.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

TheCog posted:

Don't use Dice, it's garbage. I mostly used LinkedIn and researched specific companies and applied through their site.

ultrafilter posted:

LinkedIn and Indeed seem to be the best. Dice and Ziprecruiter sometimes have interesting posts, but the signal to noise ratio seems to be a lot lower.

Thanks for this. I opened up some of the controls on LinkedIn and I got two inquiries already. I used to get one about every three weeks, but now I wonder: is there anything else I need to know about unsolicited recruiters on LinkedIn? I know that recruiters are not my friend and are there to get paid, but being on the internet has taught me to be hesitant to any unsolicited contact. Are there scams or anything to worry about, or just normal lovely recruiter things to look out for?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I hope this is an okay place to ask this question. Since it's about a comp sci job I thought this might be better than the BFC career path thread.

Soon, I need to be able to answer the question "Where do you want to be in 5 years?" Beyond the normal discomfort of looking forward in such strange times, I have no idea how to grapple with this question anymore. For backstory, I returned to college 6 years ago for a BA in Computer Science and have been working for about 4 years as a C# developer. I've managed to accomplish the simple career goals I set out at the time: I survived school, got a job and held on to it long enough to prove I'm not a complete gently caress-up, and leveraged that into the next job.

I don't really have a specialty; Everything I've done is basically whatever they need me to, which has mostly been back-end and bug squashing. I don't aspire to leadership or management, and much of what I find on web searches is "junior-mid-level-senior-director" path that we've all heard of.

Does anyone have any insight on what one could ask themselves to help them find some deeper career direction? Or know a good resource?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I suppose I should add that this is not for an interview to get a different job, but at the behest of my manager for this purposes.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I'm not an HR person or a hiring manager, so I say all this just as a person who has helped some coworkers write resumes. I'm in the US, so your mileage may vary.

Maybe this is not something people care about nowadays... but having your GitHub be your internet handle rather than your real name is perhaps a little strange? Like, if your email was "xXxkitty_sabre666xXx@yahoo.com" you'd probably consider getting another one. My GitHub and LinkedIn point to my real name, not MagneticNorth. Even if they are hip to internet parlance your internet handle contains a word of violence (frag), and could be misconstrued to contain other rude things about menstruation or homosexuality if read uncharitably or incorrectly. Like, if the name was "SierraMountainLover" it'd probably be fine to leave it.

Also, I just noticed you have your birthdate or birthplace on there. I believe the common wisdom is to never include anything that could potentially subject you to discrimination such as age or nationality. Not only for the obvious reasons but the advice I've read is that applications with that type of personally identifying info might not get considered for interviews because they want to avoid any potential accusations of discrimination down the line.

Otherwise, minor formatting poo poo: maybe put the education at the bottom since it's not specifically relevant to tech? The problem is the work experience is not terribly relevant either. Maybe this is one resume that might benefit from a summary or goals statement to talk about how you're trying to break into a new industry. Unfortunately, I have no earthly clue how to spin those up, and I think they are looked down upon generally.

Also, I've usually just seen graduation dates on education rather than full time ranges. For that matter, I don't know what General Secondary Education is, and if the hiring person doesn't either, maybe they look at that and think you took 6 years to get the equivalent of a Bachelor's? Putting just graduation dates conceals that.

Go here for the Resume Ultrathread which is where I stole most of my advice from anyway, probably. Just read the OP at least.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

i vomit kittens posted:

Almost six months ago now I made a post here about a growing desire to leave professional school and attempt to switch careers to development. I am still very undecided. In the Spring, I got an internship with a health informatics company that I hoped would be a great way to mix my love of programming with healthcare, it has not exactly worked out that way. Most of my work involves reading drug information and rewording it to fit on our site. The times when I do get to program something (usually just to make the interns' jobs more convenient) are when I am happiest and most engaged. I spent the majority of my free time over the summer rebuilding a small attendance tracking app that I created for a student organization I'm in to be a general tool that could be used by any other student organization. I'm getting close to finishing it and will be providing it to other orgs at my school as a large scale test. Making this was infinitely more fun than anything I have experienced while getting my graduate level education. Yet, I still don't know whether I should or even want to leave school. I am halfway done with getting a doctoral degree, but my distaste for it grows almost daily; especially with how the faculty have been handling things since Covid started.

To get to an actual question: As development has started to become less and less of a backup plan, I've started doing some actual light research into switching careers. One thing I've done is modify my CV to be a one page resume, removing things like the fact that I am still in pharmacy school and the published research I did in undergrad regarding computational drug discovery (although really my only part in the "computational" aspect was running a few bash scripts and waiting for them to finish). Could anyone share thoughts on whether it was the right thing to do to get rid of these, or share some input on this resume as a whole? I realize it may be lacking a bit in real, professional programming experience. I am hoping to work on some personal things more and getting a portfolio website up soon. The projects I mention are present in GitHub already but the repositories are currently private.

I'm not a hiring manager or anything; I've just helped some coworkers rework their resumes. My three quick, minor thoughts:

1: Unify your part of speech. Even if your current job seems like it should be "Automating" instead of "Automated", it's meant to be a list of accomplishments, not your duties, so past tense is fine.

2: I think the general wisdom (in the US anyway) is to just have your graduation date, and no start date. It somewhat helps avoid any possible age discrimination. Also, if any of those student organizations could possibly cause you to be targeted (an LGBT org, an African Student Alliance or something?), it is something to reconsider.

3: Put the stuff that matters most at the top and slowly reduce in importance on the way down. Unfortunately, since you're changing careers, you may not have a great choice in ordering, but make sure you're happy if the manager only reads the top part.

Check out the Resume Ultrathread OP for more.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

lifg posted:

Or, keep them in there. Let toxic companies disqualify themselves from your life.

That's a choice for the individual. If someone wants to improve their chances in an unjust world, I don't blame them. If someone wants to stand on their principles because the world should not be so unjust, that is certainly admirable. I won't judge either way, but it's something job applicants should be aware of.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Oh my god, those shitbags were right: Academia IS the breeding ground for leftists in America!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I also returned to college in the hopes of changing careers to software development at 30. It was the best thing I ever did except quit Twitter. Obviously it's not an option for everyone due to personal support situations, but if you can do it in relative safety, then you should absolutely consider it.

I have something of an unusual question, based on the way people have used the term IT around here in the last few pages. When I think IT, I don't think software development. I think Microsoft Exchange, turn-it-off-and-turn-it-on, infrastructure support tasks, helpdesk and administration type stuff. In the past, I've tried to describe my skillset to others and say something like "I can squash bugs and crank out code, but I am not strong in the IT aspect of TFS/Azure etc." Am I the only person making this distinction?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You're not making the distinction along the same lines as others. TFS and Azure are critical tools used by developers day to day (and I'd argue that every developer should have a strong working knowledge of their cloud platform and the automation toolset used by that cloud platform). Now, the nuts-and-bolts administration of those are likely to be handled by an infrastructure support group, but lumping an entire cloud platform in with "IT" would immediately give me some hints about the kinds of environments you've worked in and your typical approach to software development, and they are not positive hints.

Yeah, my first job was sort of a mess. I'm getting better ;) But I appreciate your help in making that distinction.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Xun posted:

Alright here it is!

Not an HR pro here, just a dev who also helped a few coworkers write their resumes.

The "results published etc etc" line violates the rule of having ACTION words for your resume. Maybe that should say "Published In Cat Fancy Magazine (1959, Mar)" or something to make it pop a bit more. The only other violation of that I noticed was the "responsible for" line. Change that to something like "researched" or "implemented".

Also, I like to avoid repeat ACTION words. Think of it like a novel, if they always used the word 'blasted' it'd get boring. It's more art than science, honestly.

Nthing the numbers suggestions. Talk about something concrete that the algorithm accomplished. Like, "it was 50X faster" or something, I dunno algorithms so I don't even know what to suggest, but you want them to think about what you can do for them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

You can also get a normal company to underpay you if you really like.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I'm starting to get homework assignments with my interviews. The last few were pure backend code, but this one wants a web app. The issue is I have essentially no skill in any modern frontend. I could poke around and put something together, but I am worried about it being shoddy. So, is the best course of action to put together whatever I can, or to just send them backend code and say straight up, "I don't know poo poo about this but I'm looking for the chance to learn" to avoid putting a bad foot forward? In the interview, I believe it came up and I don't think they care since they have many holes to fill. I am willing to become closer to a full stack, but I'd rather do it as a work activity than try and pass off a few hours as a skill.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Also side note, background checks is why I tell everyone immediately around me to be cautious about what they post on the internet. Some companies will pay extra for social media checks to make sure you aren't racist or something and I have seen a lot of problematic ones. At my current company someone turned down a great candidate because of the stuff they posted on youtube.

Even just as someone who is a non-manager part of the hiring process, I am personally checking to see if I can find social media profiles to make sure someone isn't a fascist or something. Fortunately, haven't found any so far.

I will never understand people who post that kind of stuff on LinkedIn of all places.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

cum jabbar posted:

I hadn't thought so, either, but the pandemic did expose a few conspiracy theorists among former coworkers on LinkedIn. None of them were terribly surprising, but they knew to keep it under wraps until that point.

Yuuuup. Removed three old contacts just in 2022 for posting fashy nonsense. And one of them is loving retired. What is he still doing on LinkedIn?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Wasting time is in vogue right now. I got a homework assignment from a position that ended up being about 8 hours in the end, of which 2-3 was me not knowing something that I admitted I didn't know and they still wanted me to try. Then the internal recruiter called and said they wanted changes. I just about hit the loving ceiling. I wanted to tell them to get hosed but I also just want the job search to be over with, but this has to bode poorly for the position. If they are this disrepectful of my time, how are they going to behave when I'm an employee?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

This is the debug console output, it says the port is already in use, but have also tried changing that to no effect.

Sorry to be this guy, but what did you change it to? Ports under 8000 are kinda common. In the past, I have had problems with code where I ended up crossing with a port unexpectedly. (Different stuff, but similar enough in principle.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers shows the ranges allowed. When running services locally, I try to set the port to something like 55443 or something way way out there, closer to 65535, that's unlikely to be in use. I'd suggest trying with a larger, 5 digit number just to confirm you didn't get unlucky. If you try a few numbers in the 30-50k zone and it says that every time, then we can accept that something else is wrong or the error message is just bad.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

leper khan posted:

You have "const port = process.env.PORT || 8000;"

Pretty sure that's logical or

So port is true. Probably not what you want

I thought the same thing too, but apparently, the logical or will return one of the operands if they are not boolean. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/Logical_OR

:capitalism: except That's Javascript!

(no one who actually understands JS correct me)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Also, if you're doing this in a browser, you might be able to see if there is a message in the 501 response with Developer Tools (F12). You can probably do it in Postman too, but I forget how exactly.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I have not taken a paycut at any job yet, but I guess is basically is about if you can still support living. If it's about workload, you could consider the pay by hour, I guess. So if you're currently pulling 60 hour weeks and you expect to work 45, then go X/60 and Y/45. It's not an exact science, but it might make the lower pay more palatable.

Before getting into software dev, I worked a lot of lovely jobs and have never really been sad when circumstances lead me to leave one of those jobs, even if it turned out to go awry almost immediately afterwards. Although I guess that leads to the base consideration: even if this goes completely wrong, do you have an emergency fund to support you for X months to find the next thing? The job market is pretty hot so you should be able to get your foot in somewhere else, which also might reduce the relative risk of moving.

Risk can be thought of as consequences of something bad happening / odds of something bad happening. So, the risk you're considering here is not being able to afford future spending, retirement or etc. That is a real risk but it is also spread out amongst the next year, five years, thirty years, etc while the other side is the risk of you having some sort of health or emotional problem from being in a bad position which could face you very quickly.

Don't decide it in any immediate emotional state, but also don't remove your emotion from it entirely; if you're being wronged in some way by your employer, then that should enter into your equation. The new place might not be better, but hopefully in this market where it's difficult to hire anyone any team will appreciate you.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

I am always forgetting money protocol beyond "do not give a number first", so any guidance would be swell. I'm in a pretty good position, my current company is giving me a couple raises / promotions that I expect to receive in ~6 months, don't know exact numbers beyond the first one but I expect 20-30% overall pay increase by 2023. It's a massive Fortune 100 company and other factors I have no reason to assume it won't happen, beyond general "don't count your eggs before they hatch". I'm in presumably the victory lap of interviews with another company, they just want me to chat with the department head, already passed 3-4 rounds of technical interviews. Early on I ignored salary requirements and now, I'm being asked what I'm looking for salary wise. The other company seems like a career improvement / quality of life improvement but based on glassdoor I'm not too confident they'll exceed the pending raises at the current company significantly (though who knows?), salary wise I'm expecting a bit of a lateral movement...

Is the correct course of action here to still try and punt or should I try and answer the question and just aim high? I still haven't had an opportunity to ask detailed questions vacation, benefits et al. besides vague "it's good" early on, will probably be something I try and talk about in the last meeting.

I guess really my question is whats the course of action when the base salary starts to get close to / exceed FAANG, just ask for stock? Is levels.fyi still the best tech spot for accurate salary numbers?

You might find more luck in the negotiation thread.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

If I had to choose between a degree and having a year or two of solid experience, I'd pick the experience personally. Like, if you drop out for big bucks and the job goes away, you can always re-enroll, but with some perspective and cash banked.

This. As a person who got a computer science degree later in life, the only things I learned that matter were:
  • Inheritance (which I learned without ever hearing about SOLID)
  • data structures (even 99.9% of the time you will only ever uses Lists)
  • learning about Waterfall and Agile software development life cycles (which we talked about endlessly, even though every SLDC everywhere is bullshit and no one loving cares)
  • the very very basic level of "put code to do thing" programming that an 11 year old could do and I got in a 100-level class that was mostly literally doing Khan Academy exercises.
So much wasted time doing math and grammar and requirements and all that were intellectually stimulating to do, but a massive waste of time because they just don't loving matter for your average job. If they do matter, someone will tell you it matters and the information is already out there, especially now. 7 years ago, it was harder to find stuff on YouTube, but not so much today.

I learned so much more while at my first job than I did at college, except I got paid to learn there instead of paying to learn how to integrate functions. Hey, show of hands: when was the last time any of you needed actual calculus? Never? That's what I thought.

If you can get away without spending the money, it is worth considering. But be warned that I have also interviewed multiple people who came out of boot camps, were mature and considerate workers but couldn't loving code. At least, not in an interview setting.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Then you're suggesting these people go and spend additional thousands of dollars to get Comp Sci degrees then instead of code camps, etc?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

worms butthole guy posted:

I secured my first big boy job and they gave me $1k to set up my home office. Some things are obvious that I need, desk, chair, but wondering what are some other good things I should get to be prepared? So far I've gotten:

Webcam
Speakers
Backdrop for office
Lighting
Mouse
Keyboard

N-thing some form of convertible standing desk. I got something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/VARIDESK-Adjustable-Standing-Converter-Monitors/dp/B00JI6NCCK but it'd be a big part of your budget.
A mat to protect floor from chair
If using a laptop, a ventilated laptop stand
For multiple monitors, consider a Dock compatible with your laptop. These are also expensive, so your employer might provide this, and if you won't be using the area for anything else such as another computer, you might be able to skip this.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The math checks out.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Daviclond posted:

If you're manually maintaining infra on your cloud provider's console you're doing it wrong. Learn infra-as-code and use terraform, life will be better. You will still occasionally lose half a day to random bullshit, but it will be way better.

This. I suck at DevOps so when I deployed a change to Dev, I broke something. I debugged it, found the issue and changed the missing config manually on the deployed Dev service instead of updating the pipeline and redeploying. Then, long enough passed by the time it went to QA that the same issue happened, I forgot and re-debugged it, re-found the issue and I again updated it manually. Then on release day, of course it's loving broken on prod. If I just changed the loving pipelines from jump street, I would have saved us all tons of pain.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Anyone done contract software development work before? I've interacted with contractors, but only as offshore resources. Can you explain the positives and negatives from your experience? I don't like that jobs are going more to Contract or Contract to Hire but I wonder if I'm unnecessarily cutting off too many jobs from my search.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

What about mobility? Are they still generally at-will or are you somehow 'locked in'? I got myself into a bad situation and am hesitant to end up in another one.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Honestly, I like fixing bugs. Sometimes it takes a new set of eyes to look at something and be like "Why doesn't X work?" The only issue is that bugfixes don't always neatly fit into a story points / velocity mindset since sometimes they're simple and sometimes they are mindbendingly complicated.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

teen phone cutie posted:

hi i have a hopefully simple question. job-wise, is golang doing better than rust? i get a free learning stipend at work and i want to start investing in learning one, but i'm not sure which. i've read like a bunch of articles on pros/cons of both and it seems like there's not really a good answer on which one is better to pick up

Confirm with your work before you spend the money to make sure they're fine reimbursing whatever. lovely workplaces (like where I work) will only approve poo poo they care about.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Flea Bargain posted:

I'm mid-30s and I've just started my bachelors of Computer Science. My goal is basically to be a wfh computer toucher earning 6 figs, my question is basically whether I should invest 3 years into a Computer Science degree with all the costs involved (loans in Australia are only paid back once you're earning over a certain amount) but the time is obviously very valuable, or should I do a bootcamp and start applying for jobs right away. Would a CS degree open doors for me that experience wouldn't at say, 5 years into the bootcamp pathway vs the 3+2 of the CS path? I don't have a degree already. Is there a cap on income without a CS degree? I've asked this in the careers thread, and it was suggested I ask in yospos but I couldn't find an appropriate thread.

I did something similar to what you're planning, in that I returned to college in my early 30s and got a degree and a job. For what it's worth, I am in the US.

I can't say if a bootcamp would be better or not, but I can say that there was a lot of "fluff" in a computer science degree that just doesn't matter for a regular computer toucher job. A few of the only things I learned that were important were:
  • The basics of if then else while etc
  • Object orientation / inheritance / polymorphism (important for SOLID, which I did not learn about)
  • Agile and Waterfall (a whole semester that could have been 2 minutes)
  • The concept of Requirements
  • That programming is really loving annoying
Other stuff was cool, like grammars and even integrals, but they don't matter. Let's put it this way: I never learned how to use a loving breakpoint in college. We spent ages trapped in the past writing archaic things like Paint methods in Java so we could see what we're doing instead of boiling it down to the relevant principles. Most CS departments were built off of their Math departments (as opposed to a sensible department like Philosophy) so there's too much emphasis on outdated academic baloney that doesn't really apply in the real world outside of PHD level, FAANG level stuff.

Objectively it was a pretty big waste of time. It was also very hard to be around a bunch of board young people who didn't want to be there while I was desperately trying to learn Calculus while paying to be there and not being quite as spry anymore. It is the hardest I have ever worked in my entire life. Then again, for me the result was positive. I got the piece of paper that told someone else that I had value, and in turn they give me other smaller green pieces of paper that tell everyone else I have value. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Do you already have a degree in something else, or is this your first time? For me, I had a previous degree and went to the same institution which let me do it much faster than the normal full 3-4 years by having the GenEds like Foreign Languages already taken care of. (Not sure if there is a Roo equivalent.) Think of it like this: [your expected cost + the lost income from being a student] / your expected pay = your years before this becomes positive. For instance, if you make 25K/year, take 3 years and spend 40k, you will need to make 115K to get out of that hole. But if you start making 65K - 85K to start, that will still work out over the course of the years, particularly as it grows. (I don't know what the starting salary is in Upside-Downllars, just Freedom Bux sorry.)

The one fact of the matter is it is hard to imagine that, so long as you succeed in getting a degree and a job, it will almost certainly pay off in the long run. The greater threat depends on your personal commitment and other things like living situation, savings etc as to whether you can make it work at all.

This is what makes bootcamps seem like an appealing alternative but I have heard bad things about the quality of the candidates coming out of them. Sure, it's much less cash outlay to start, but that first job might be harder to find. Even if you find a good camp, some employers might have a stigma or just require a college degree anyway. From my experience hiring, I've had bad candidates with degrees and with bootcamps, so I can't really say more than that.

If you do choose bootcamps, there is no denying it will be harder and you will need every advantage. You will certainly need a portfolio of projects on Github to show employers that you can actually code. Now, everyone should have one, but FWIW I managed to get by without it for my first jobs, and I coast on experience now. That was only possible because I have a degree and could answer standard CS interview questions well.

Another thing to keep in mind: there were just a zillion layoffs, so the market is cooler than is has been in a while. Will this last? I dunno, but it does mean that the disadvantage of waiting 3 years may be less compared to the benefit of going for a few months, if things remain cool. Of course, the longer you wait the more disruptions like pandemics or AI might change things as well, so it's a toss up.

Whatever you choose, remember: there is so much more quality help on YouTube than there was in even my time less than a decade ago. When I was doing it, it was one guy named Bucky who taught me how to Java. Nowadays, there are many many good channels that teach this stuff completely for free. Blessed by Tim Corey. You should certainly leverage that as well. Hell, if you have a question, even years from now, feel free to PM me and I will help if I can.

Maybe someone else with more bootcamp experience can help put more color onto this question.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

In my search for a new software developer job, sometimes I get little bits of async electronic homework from potential positions. These are not live coding exercises or interviews; these are websites where you do code and it records you while they are not online. Sometimes they are before you've spoken to anyone, sometimes it's only after speaking to someone non-technical like a recruiter. I've gotten two over the last few weeks that have been between 90 minutes and 2 hours long.

Before now, my policy has been: I am willing to give away up to 1 hour my own time for free without them also spending time or money. If they want to have a live interview session that lasts 2 hours, that's fine since they are committing the paid time of their employees. If they want more time and are not also willing to commit their own manhours, gently caress them. It really seems like a sign of disrespect to start out on that foot. Besides, I've been a dev for over 6 years so I can do your little loving coding exercise. That's besides the fact that, depending on which vendor they're using, they are sometimes extremely annoying and fiddly as compared to working in a real IDE.

Am I being unreasonable here?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

teen phone cutie posted:

after i was done and got it fully functional, they didn't even flatter me with a follow-up discussion. It was like a 3-4 hour project.

Yeah I should say, when I was looking last time, I got an 8 hour homework after the 2nd level interview. The assignment didn't look like free work; it was completely alien to their business model, so I didn't suspect foul play. It took about 6 hours. I sent it to them and they (through the non-technical recruiter) said "doesn't work." So I looked at it, said "it runs on my machine" and surmised what I thought the problem was. They said "that's not it" and I looked again and finally discovered it was a Git feature I never heard of that was causing the issue. I only learned it after re-pulling the repo. So I told them about it and never heard back.

That experience is why I have that policy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

My experience with Codecademy has been mixed. It's great that it's interactive, but some of the questions will not accept answers that are actually correct and there are essay style questions that don't actually check poo poo. If you've got it, try it.

Pluralsight is probably more consistently quality, based on the 8-ish courses I've done there. I don't think any have an interactive component, though.