Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone play the Salt Lake Stories mod? Random youtube recommendations showed me a video of someone liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It’s interesting. Neat characters, a cudgeled together car mechanic, but very unfinished.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I've been trying to redo VNV for steam deck and it's not been going well, just trying to install the basic utility stuff. Is the NV install supposed to come with nvse files already in the root folder or is something messed up?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You are better off deleting everything and starting again. NVSE should be in the root installation but you have to do it manually.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tankbuster posted:

You are better off deleting everything and starting again. NVSE should be in the root installation but you have to do it manually.

Was doing the trick, and then I ran into a wall because apparently MO2 won't work with newer versions of the deck OS. Ah well.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

FireWorksWell posted:

Was doing the trick, and then I ran into a wall because apparently MO2 won't work with newer versions of the deck OS. Ah well.

I know of no reason MO2 wouldn't work on the Deck. I run it in Proton on my desktop just fine.

Maybe try SteamTinkerLaunch. poo poo name but it automates the MO2 setup.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Do Nexus Mod Collections work like Wabbajack where you can just click install and it does it all for you? I want to play some NV but I don’t want to spend 10 hours modding it or pay to use wabbajack

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Nobody Interesting posted:

I know of no reason MO2 wouldn't work on the Deck. I run it in Proton on my desktop just fine.

It's something that happens to some consoles after 3.4.1 and onwards; when you hit Run, the black console window pops up, does its thing and then it just says "Another instance of MO2 is already running" and won't run. The one fix I found didn't work for me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still waiting for mods to play as Kenshiro or Ichiban.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonde rhow hard it would be to make a mod that just adds a podcast as a radio station.

In this case being the podcast Desert Oracle Radio.

Creating a radio station is a bit of a pain, I made a mod called SimpleStation that makes it as easy as I could manage to create new ones.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Nobody Interesting posted:

Maybe try SteamTinkerLaunch. poo poo name but it automates the MO2 setup.

This wasn't working with my Deck for whatever reason.

I did manage to get past the "Another instance already running" bit, but I've found that it crashes at the first screen on startup every time, and this is before I've gotten to the "Utilities" separator section of the VNV guide. This was all way easier last time I did it.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Just finished going through that VNV guide and ready to download some actual mods now!

What are the good quest/story mods, companion mods, graphical improvement mods, weather mods, other mods these days?

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well obviously you need the Fred Durst companion mod.

https://twitter.com/DeMickyD/status/1759258113243308127

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Get yourself some item descriptions

ThaumPenguin posted:

my favorite flavor mod, B42 Descriptions aka Pip Boy Info, which adds item descriptions to everything in the game, but that one's easy enough to add on top (make sure to grab B42 Descriptions Revised if you want to try it yourself).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Titans Of The New West is a good one, it gives power armour a feel a bit more like the Fallout 4 version. It doesn't actually change the function of it, but it makes it look more big and hulking and makes you taller when you wear it

E: NMC and Poco Bueno are the texture mods to beat, pretty much just check em out and see which one you like the look of better. For weather I'm a fan of Realistic Wasteland Lighting, and Dusty Distance works well with pretty much anything.

If you like the idea of having little randomised tasks to do in between exploring and questing, give Radiant Infinium a try as well, it's an attempt to replicate the "radiant" quests of Skyrim and Fallout 4.

One of my favourite mods is Three Perk Bounty., Instead of picking a perk from the big list, this mod shows you three random perks you can choose from. You can reroll but you might get a debuff if you do. Perfect for a game about Vegas

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 15, 2024

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ever since the 2.0 update it also gives you an entirely new set of animations, including wielding miniguns and rocket launchers and such in one hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1znOwGTCh7s

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm the psycho who doesn't care about power armor because I never use it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I loved running around in power armor in Fallout 3, but when I played New Vegas wearing this big suit of metal started feeling a bit silly. Same with using raider-type equipment, or anything else too offbeat. Like this is an actual society

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's been ages since I've modded FNV but if you jump through the hoops that the paranoid people at GUNetwork set up to access their asset rip mods you can find some really nice power armour mods that are compatible with Titans of the New West.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ThaumPenguin posted:

Get yourself some item descriptions

everything b42 does is golden.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It's a good thing somebody made that mod, I personally found the power armor in Fallout 3 and new Vegas as being very underwhelming, like I was a scrawny nerd wearing a halloween costume rather than a walking tank.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Love it when modders spread their mods and required files across sketchy forums and websites,gently caress off expecting me to sign up for 1 file.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Come on, man. FileVault.col.ru. They need your support.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
True modding connoisseurs partake of the Slab.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the showrunners put poo poo from LL in the show. Also its really neat that Fallout NV has the best depiction of PiP scopes in the series as of now.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Got the more perks mod and i’m really enjoying the destiny gambler perk.

Although for some reason outside primm i was approached by the great khan guy who hides in the cave near bittersprings,he said “oh you again what is it?” And i had the choice of goodbye or time to die,left him alone,poor guy’s clearly got dementia.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Got the more perks mod and i’m really enjoying the destiny gambler perk.

Although for some reason outside primm i was approached by the great khan guy who hides in the cave near bittersprings,he said “oh you again what is it?” And i had the choice of goodbye or time to die,left him alone,poor guy’s clearly got dementia.

He wanders to the far south west of the map before disappearing, not unusual to run into him if he survives.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
A random blog post talking about a new expansion mod led me to discover this: Nova Arizona, a Legion expansion mod. Has anyone heard anything about this?

EDIT: Fixed link, don't know where that extra "c" came from

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 16, 2024

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024
The best part of this game was the legionary giving his speech outside of Nipton. "The depths of their moral sickness, their disillusion, serves as the perfect object lesson." ... or whatever he said

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

DoubleNegative posted:

A random blog post talking about a new expansion mod led me to discover this: Nova Arizona, a Legion expansion mod. Has anyone heard anything about this?

EDIT: Fixed link, don't know where that extra "c" came from

By their own admission, it’s seemingly just a world space with no quests or npcs at the moment, so there’s not really much to say about it.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is Denver in FNV still a couple of terrified settlers living on skyscraper roofs bc the floor below is an ocean of angry pups or was that retconned since van buren

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is Denver in FNV still a couple of terrified settlers living on skyscraper roofs bc the floor below is an ocean of angry pups or was that retconned since van buren

The Legion burned through Denver and absorbed many of the tribals who worshipped the dog population. Some tried to fight back like the Hangdogs but the Legion threw the dogs onto burning pyres and crushed their spirits.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Rip, it seems like in broad strokes NV is what fallout 4 would have been if van buren got made since the legion is up and coming in it and the main conflict is the NCR vs BoS over Hoover dam

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NV reuses some of the same ideas (particularly the BoS breaking down from isolation) but I think the main story was very different. I do wish we could have seen the Hoover Dam from the design documents, though.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Defiance Industries posted:

NV reuses some of the same ideas (particularly the BoS breaking down from isolation) but I think the main story was very different. I do wish we could have seen the Hoover Dam from the design documents, though.

I still wonder what the end game reveal was going to be with the NCR, since the design docs say that by the time of the game Hoover Dam hasn’t heard from shady sands in months with the implication that something terrible has happened

I don’t think rest of the docs mention it so it could have been an abandoned plot point from early on

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 16, 2024

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Question for anyone who's done a Windows to Deck transfer for NV in MO2; the mod list works when I launch through _NVLauncher.exe but launching through New Vegas normally doesn't activate the mods, how can I fix this?

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 17, 2024

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I still wonder what the end game reveal was going to be with the NCR, since the design docs say that by the time of the game Hoover Dam hasn’t heard from shady sands in months with the implication that something terrible has happened

I don’t think rest of the docs mention it so it could have been an abandoned plot point from early on

Shady Sands is still there, since it's one of the major cities the bad guy was planning on nuking from space. Maybe a Divide-type event happened that cut off the road back to the core region?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Fallout the show spoiler, Shady Sands gets nuked. But also it's only roughly adhering to the New Vegas canon so like, who cares. It's not like there'll be another game set in the west.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ThaumPenguin posted:

Ever since the 2.0 update it also gives you an entirely new set of animations, including wielding miniguns and rocket launchers and such in one hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1znOwGTCh7s

Some of those animations are very goofy in a very good way, this rules

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Gonna tell this to NV purists mad at the chalkboard scene and watch their heads explode lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

DaysBefore posted:

Gonna tell this to NV purists mad at the chalkboard scene and watch their heads explode lol

They're not gonna care, because they're New Vegas purists and not Project Van Buren purists. Presumably the P:VB purists have already exploded over the changes to the Hanged Man becoming the Burned Man?

'Van Buren' was going to have a settlement scaling the Hoover Dam itself, if I remember correctly, and more of it was going to happen in Arizona rather than mostly in Nevada.

The main/final antagonist was going to be a pre-war scientist that had survived by cryogenically freezing themselves, as I understand. They were looking to infect the wasteland population with the pre-war 'blue flu' (said flu leading to the creation of what was the precursor to FEV) as to trick a pre-war weaponised satellite into bombing the wasteland, leaving the scientist to take control, along side some other scientists frozen/held in a pre-war facility.

The pre-war scientist looking to use pre-war weaponry to 'wipe the slate clean' became Father Elijah scrabbling about for something to exact his revenge against the NCR, and the other pre-war scientists' facility became Big Mountain and the Think Tank.