Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ThaumPenguin posted:

B42 Descriptions aka Pip Boy Info, which adds item descriptions to everything in the game, but that one's easy enough to add on top.

This is it, the mod I've most wanted for over a decade :unsmith:

e: god what a horrible page snipe :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Captain Walker posted:

This is it, the mod I've most wanted for over a decade :unsmith:

e: god what a horrible page snipe :smith:

Your enthusiasm is genuinely charming, shush.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's a good emotion imo

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

:argh:

(Great idea for a mod, great descriptions, definitely will add to the list if/when I ever go back to New Vegas.)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I never knew Benny tried to double tap you, he should throw that pistol in a bin

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

did someone say horrible snipe

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

did someone say horrible snipe

still too soon!!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Neve too late to snipe your wife.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shoehead posted:

I never knew Benny tried to double tap you, he should throw that pistol in a bin

Fun fact: 2 crits from his unique 9mm doesn't do enough damage to kill a level 1 character with 1 Endurance. Ludonarrative harmony

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

v1ld posted:

Haven't installed either but from a quick skim of the doc, the missing directories in step 5 were to be created by an installer in step 2. Maybe check to see if step 2 succeeded or provided any errors?

E: if it didn't post errors, did it create those directories elsewhere, etc?

Nah, the mod list author changed from a method that created the stock game directory to one that patches the exe files on the fly and that's severely messing with Steam Deck support via MO2. I spent a few more hours trying various things and gave up. There's one other person on the Discord who also gave it a shot but similarly couldn't get anywhere.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

2house2fly posted:

Fun fact: 2 crits from his unique 9mm doesn't do enough damage to kill a level 1 character with 1 Endurance. Ludonarrative harmony

Is there a pistol that can kill Benny with no more than two critical head shots, maybe including one sneak attack? I remember trying a few times in his suite to no avail on my very first playthru.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Captain Walker posted:

Is there a pistol that can kill Benny with no more than two critical head shots, maybe including one sneak attack? I remember trying a few times in his suite to no avail on my very first playthru.

If you're at level 8 or less with 100 Guns skill, any pistol except the 9mm, 10mm, .357, and .22 will kill him with two critical headshots. If you're at level 50, Benny has 415 HP, and with no damage-related perks you can still kill him with two crit headshots from a Ranger Sequoia or Hunting Revolver. With a few damage perks*, or hollow-point ammo, you can kill a max-level Benny with just one headshot.

*Cowboy, Better Criticals, Just Lucky I'm Alive, Apocalypse Ain't Got Nothing On Me, Bloody Mess, and Black Widow/Confirmed Bachelor are the relevant ones

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Walker posted:

maybe including one sneak attack

Are you a Khan or a fink that you'd kill people without looking them in the face?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Also it depends on what level difficulty Benny is on. He ain’t a fink but he might be on easy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Also it depends on what level difficulty Benny is on. He ain’t a fink but he might be on easy.

Good point. On Very Hard, it's possible to one-hit kill Benny with a Ranger Sequoia, but if he's at a high level you'll need hollowpoints AND some helpful damage perks.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

So, I'm trying to get 3 separate friends into New Vegas, but every one of them has felt totally overwhelmed by the Viva New Vegas guide when they tried to set everything up. Are there anything more minimalist when it comes to modding guides? This is their first time playing so they just need the bare minimal that makes the game not glitch out all the time lol

(edit) Specifically, 2 of them that tried playing totally vanilla at first have had issues with the NPCs getting all stretched out like the game's collision is breaking or something.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 22, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jamie Faith posted:

So, I'm trying to get 3 separate friends into New Vegas, but every one of them has felt totally overwhelmed by the Viva New Vegas guide when they tried to set everything up. Are there anything more minimalist when it comes to modding guides? This is their first time playing so they just need the bare minimal that makes the game not glitch out all the time lol
They could use Wabbajack to set it up for them. Works best if you have a nexus premium sub you can share or something, of course.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Zereth posted:

They could use Wabbajack to set it up for them. Works best if you have a nexus premium sub you can share or something, of course.

Hmm looking at the "gallery" section of the Wabbajacks site I only see 2 NV mod lists, both of which are tale of two wasteland centered modlists which are definitely not what we want. Are those the only Wabbajack modlists? Or are there more? Sorry if this a clueless question, as I've mentioned before I've been away from NV modding for a while.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jamie Faith posted:

Hmm looking at the "gallery" section of the Wabbajacks site I only see 2 NV mod lists, both of which are tale of two wasteland centered modlists which are definitely not what we want. Are those the only Wabbajack modlists? Or are there more? Sorry if this a clueless question, as I've mentioned before I've been away from NV modding for a while.

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/wabbajack.html Detailed instructions on how to use wabbajack for it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Zereth posted:

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/wabbajack.html Detailed instructions on how to use wabbajack for it.

Thanks! We'll give this a shot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think you can manually install the 4gb mod, tick fix and YUP and be pretty much good to go for a playthrough right there

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

2house2fly posted:

I think you can manually install the 4gb mod, tick fix and YUP and be pretty much good to go for a playthrough right there

Yeah for someone who's never played New Vegas before just do this. It stands just fine on its own.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ok that sounds like the way to go. Thanks folks!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Not being on Nexus, the IMO best item sorting mod for this game is easy to overlook: Stash Organizer.

It doesn't land up on the VNV and other lists that seem to dominate the "good mods" conversations a bit too much imo. Wabbajack too has served to emphasize the Nexus a bit too much as the only source of mods.

Just a PSA as I randomly thought of it today though I'm not playing NV right now. Eddorsul seems to be keeping it up to date - their other mods are worth checking out too, NV and Skyrim (and Enderal, where they're a core dev).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

v1ld posted:

Not being on Nexus, the IMO best item sorting mod for this game is easy to overlook: Stash Organizer.

It doesn't land up on the VNV and other lists that seem to dominate the "good mods" conversations a bit too much imo. Wabbajack too has served to emphasize the Nexus a bit too much as the only source of mods.

Just a PSA as I randomly thought of it today though I'm not playing NV right now. Eddorsul seems to be keeping it up to date - their other mods are worth checking out too, NV and Skyrim (and Enderal, where they're a core dev).

This is sick, from just reading it it seems to fix most of my issues with sortomatic.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It is. I used it with Mobile Truck Base Remastered, which is nicely compact with a bunch of well laid out containers for Stash Organizer to take over and manage.

But it'll work with any containers the player can own. Very slick UI too.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah, it rules. I applaud all the player base modders doing their own weird bespoke solutions but once you have that set up, no point going back.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
whats the ENB replacer everyone uses now?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think ENB 47 version 2 is still the most common with a lot of offshoots but really it's whatever you want these days.

That NV Reloaded mod is supposed to be good for adding new effects to the game and fixing a lot of wonky shadows. Not an ENB though.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I think ENB 47 version 2 is still the most common with a lot of offshoots but really it's whatever you want these days.

That NV Reloaded mod is supposed to be good for adding new effects to the game and fixing a lot of wonky shadows. Not an ENB though.

I didn't know that NV Reloaded had come along so much. It was pretty lackluster last time I played, but this video makes a good case for why ENB should be avoided and NVR should be used these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZivSrvTv7Y

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

does nvr still behave poorly with dxvk?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah ENB for New Vegas has always been a mixed bag, as Boris got bored of the game and abandoned development fairly early on.

It's been a few years since I last messed around with FNV visual mods, was it ENB or Reloaded (or both) that added dynamic shadows that got extremely visibly culled at the edges of your screen?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's definitely in ENB

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

watho posted:

does nvr still behave poorly with dxvk?

Some people report improved performance, others don't. What I dislike is the way that multisampling transparency turns into a checkerboard pattern with it on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Fallout: New Vegas Modding: PSA: NVR hosed my DXVK, ENB not in VNV

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nah, the mod list author changed from a method that created the stock game directory to one that patches the exe files on the fly and that's severely messing with Steam Deck support via MO2. I spent a few more hours trying various things and gave up. There's one other person on the Discord who also gave it a shot but similarly couldn't get anywhere.

Alright I learned my lesson about trying to install giant Wabbajack modlists on Steam Deck and just followed the manual process for an expanded TTW install detailed in these two guides:

https://thebestoftimes.moddinglinked.com/index.html

https://wastelandsurvivalguide.com/

It now runs perfectly on the Steam Deck. The trickiest parts were manually installing NVSE and the Heap Replacer on the Deck, copying the 4 GB patched exe from the PC, and running the launcher first from MO2 (via the 'explore virtual drive' executable selection) to fix the "An instance of MO2 is already running" popup.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

copying the 4 GB patched exe from the PC

Proton on the Deck will run every game in 4GB mode for you, no need to run patchers.

Cool that you got the whole thing running! The Deck is a perfect target for heavily modded games.

I'm waiting on the SCS release and the new ToF mod to stabilize before putting together the giant BG EET load list on the Deck. Want to run from Candleekeep to the very end.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Fallout: New Vegas Modding: PSA: NVR hosed my DXVK, ENB not in VNV
I've been beating the "for the love of god, please stop speaking in acronyms" drum regarding internet posting since at least the release of Warcraft 3, at which point I was extremely confused why none of the criticisms or praise for Wing Commander 3 made any sense.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

while i definitely agree, to be fair DXVK isn't really an acronym it's just called DXVK. like technically it stands for Direct X Vulkan but that's not the name of it, the name is DXVK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a mod that lets workbenches draw from nearby storage? I’m running TTW and want to be able to use it in Springvale Garage.

v1ld posted:

Proton on the Deck will run every game in 4GB mode for you, no need to run patchers.

Cool that you got the whole thing running! The Deck is a perfect target for heavily modded games.

I'm waiting on the SCS release and the new ToF mod to stabilize before putting together the giant BG EET load list on the Deck. Want to run from Candleekeep to the very end.

Oh neat, that’s good to know.