Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know this is as bad as Hunt Down the Freeman (I didn't play HDtF, though it looked like a broken mess and you had to pay for it). The Frontier seems like it had a lot more effort put behind it, but it seems very on-rails, and tonally, it seems all over the place with its content.

The NCR campaign is pretty bad but you can bail on it pretty much immediately. There's still cool stuff to find in the world, and I liked walking about the parts of Portland that actually recognizably look like Portland. It's not 100% a mess like HDtF is, it would be a lot easier to write off if it were. Even the NCR campaign, which is a big dumb Call of Duty campaign, is impressive from a technical standpoint at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah supposedly everybody just kind of staked out projects as their personal fiefdom, that's why there's no consistency to anything.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RangerKarl posted:

This is absolutely why siloing doesn't work. They needed to constantly be talking about what they were doing within their organization. Sucks that it bit them back like this but I hope the lesson was clear to those folk in the hotseats.

That's the problem with volunteer projects, nobody wants to sign on for something where they're told "Everything you do will be subject to approval by me, the guy in charge, who doesn't pay you or anything like that." Once you start wanting people to exert control over someone else, it's either something where people get kicked off the project all the time OR you have to actually pay them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They forgot that Fallout as a game varies widely in tone, but generally individual quests stayed pretty consistent. The King exists, and the King is a silly character. But when he asks you to investigate the murder of some NCR citizens in Freeside, he's presented mostly seriously, dealing with a serious problem, some tongue-in-cheek dialogue choices aside. You don't solve the problem by getting FISTO to help you with a dance routine that will solve the problem, you talk to people until you get some clues to help you find out what happened. Then the King reacts like it's serious when you tell him what you found. It stays pretty consistent.

Basically you can have a silly character ask you to do a serious thing, and you can have a serious character ask you to do a silly thing, but you shouldn't have a character ask you to do a serious thing, then a silly thing, then a really graphic thing, then another serious thing, then a very silly thing all in the same quest.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Legion campaign is supposedly based mostly around exploring the map and such (according to the mod page) but you also lock yourself out of it if you do what seems like a pretty innocuous quest to patrol with some NCR troopers. That poo poo really got out of hand FAST and they do not give you any advance warning.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean you shouldn't do either.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The one thing I really, REALLY wish we'd had was the way that locations were going to change based on stuff you did and how far you were through the main quest. Like if you didn't help the NCR people would gradually board up their houses at the dam and just leave town (going faster if you help their enemies, of course). Of course that's kind of reliant on the Fallout map and it's date scrolling making the trips between towns take a really long time, much longer than in New Vegas.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It had a super-mutant who scared people off when they came to kill him by waving around some pipes he'd tied together like it was a minigun though. Maybe he made gun noises with his mouth too?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Another fun fact about VB is that with the Dam as the actual westward edge of the world map, it was going to turn out that the NCR had been thrown into chaos when the villain bombed the senate at some point before the start of the story (because there’s no fast transit or couriers, nobody knows this when the game starts). I want to say the Crimson Caravan is involved somehow, but that might have been something I threw in when I adapted the docs for a tabletop game.

I think their part in the story was that they were double-dealing to the NCR and the BoS. Hoover Dam and the BoS base both need things that the other has in abundance and the caravan runs between them, cooking up stories about villages they know about to cover up where they get their stuff from. If you tail them you can blow the whole thing wide open and start working on reconciling the two sides.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Flesh Forge posted:

And that's why they're going to do Fallout 5: The Enclave

You joke but Bethesda only knows how to recycle four things from Fallout and the Enclave is one.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

One of the things that really helps 2's story is that even though they have a main plot to follow, there is this other major overarching conflict (the NCR/VC/NR power struggle) that drives the plot in a lot of the places you go which doesn't revolve around that. I think it makes the world feel a lot more real when all of the big movers and shakers don't have the same concerns that you do.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Be nude

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pick a chem for your character to be addicted to. If you see it in a shop, you must buy it. If you see it on a shelf, you must steal it. If you are not currently enjoying the benefits of it, you must do it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm one of those sick fucks that enjoys Fallout inventory management and loves weighted ammo.

I think how much I can stand weighted ammo is going to come down to how many times I have to shoot something for it to die. I played a FO2 mod way back in the day that reduced all the magazine sizes for everything to 1, so you were finding one bullet at a time (and could carry WAY less ammo as a result, since it weighed 1 unit each round). It would have been tedious except that it also made guns incredibly powerful so you basically never had to shoot anything more than twice.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jamie Faith posted:

I can't believe it took them 6 games until they added eating/drinking/sleeping mechanics.

To be fair, the first and ESPECIALLY the second games take place in a massively larger area.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MariusLecter posted:

Lot of people here in Texas use 5.56 as varmint rounds. So to me that fit just by the name alone.

Texas was eaten by radioactive tornados, they no longer count.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Even Dead Money is better than anything else the Fallout series has produced since 1998.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I thought this was a total conversion that turned her into I-No for a sec

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arivia posted:

The extreme variation in quest lengths in this game is absurd. I spent most of an eight hour play session poking at the Brotherhood’s first quest and all the sub parts and places and setup, but I also knocked off a quest with some dude who hates Heck Gunderson inside of two minutes and three conversations.

This seems like a good thing to me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rinkles posted:

dumb line, but at least three dog's response is sarcastic

This game won "Best Writing" at the Game Developers Conference that year, proving that game designers are all stupid.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It wasn't the Game Writers Conference, after all

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dongicus posted:

the classics did everything better than 4

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Simsmagic posted:

Was frontiers the mod that had the girl companion with the happy 18th birthday card on her person or was that some other lovely mod

Yes she also talks about how sweaty her feet get

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rinkles posted:

i'm not vouching for their quality, but kinda nuts how this ancient game still averages over 10 mods a day

The boobs and dongs will never be big enough

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I am from Portland so I was interested in seeing how well they recreated the area. I remember getting through the intro and thinking it sucked, but then my next mission was to go on patrol. A good opportunity to see the area, right? Nnnnnnope.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The beginning might trick you into thinking this game will be interesting but once you get out of the starter vault, the game is never on that level again. Also the ending is so dumb you'd think Bethesda wrote it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NV reuses some of the same ideas (particularly the BoS breaking down from isolation) but I think the main story was very different. I do wish we could have seen the Hoover Dam from the design documents, though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I still wonder what the end game reveal was going to be with the NCR, since the design docs say that by the time of the game Hoover Dam hasn’t heard from shady sands in months with the implication that something terrible has happened

I don’t think rest of the docs mention it so it could have been an abandoned plot point from early on

Shady Sands is still there, since it's one of the major cities the bad guy was planning on nuking from space. Maybe a Divide-type event happened that cut off the road back to the core region?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There was a ticking clock in the background like in Fallout 1, the longer you took to resolve whatever was going on in a place the worse things would get. For instance, people flee Hoover Dam the longer the war between them and the BoS goes on, and if you take too long, the NCR governor shoots himself in the head, the stores close down and Alice McLafferty (from the Crimson Caravan) takes over.