Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does any one of the most popular mods alter items' weight as a side effect? I made a new installation and installed couple dozen mods without bothering to test them first, and now most items weigh different than they should (generally less), and I have no idea which mod causes that. I'd rather not uninstall everything and go through the tedium of installation again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If anything it's more user friendly than old FOMM, if only because it is laid out better.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

This game won "Best Writing" at the Game Developers Conference that year, proving that game designers are all stupid.

HATE GAME NEWSPAPER

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Obscure"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Player, you must defeat the space raider leader! His space lair is in the space office building littered with thousands of copies of the Space Boston Bugle!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was really bad, but apparently it sold well. Aren't they making a sequel?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well it's not really centrist, it's too dumb to have a stance of any kind, even a toothlessly cowardly one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a comically exaggerated and hamfisted critique of corporate bureaucracy where every story ends with "can't we just all get along", it certainly doesn't dig deeper than that, and doesn't even seem too interested in making salient points because the various caricatures are too dissimilar from the actual problems with capitalism and too arbitrary to read as serious.

And then it's really, really, really monotonous to play.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 3, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ironslave posted:

There's a third path where you cut power with the commune and convince the leader of it return. You then convince the corporate stooge running the corporate town he's actually awful at it and he walks out into the wilderness to die as the commune leader takes over everything and turns the packing plant into a garden. I don't know if that's meeting in the middle but it's the happy ending where everyone gets along (except for the one guy).

It also reminds you that the commune leader has been running the commune out of spite and wants to see the corporate town collapse and everyone loyal to it die of starvation, while the guy running the corpo town is a blinkered idiot who's been raised his entire life on corporate propaganda that he believes it, and seeing the reality of a better outcome makes him willing to die for the sake of things being better. I don't know if there's a message in that. You could attach one if you wanted.

As I remember it (been a while), that's the template for all the major stories. Pick side A, pick side B or do a side quest to unlock the true good ending where it turns out everybody had good intentions and PC's enlightened nature lets them see the common ground. Not because of any ideological centrism on the part of the devs, i assume, but because that's the default way to design these quests, and this is a very default game, themes and message be damned.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 3, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cheat in Joshua's Pistol Whippin' .45 and brain him

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Every ENB I've ever used had the exact same effect - make half the scenes pitch black and the other half eye searingly overexposed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ironslave posted:

The open world and enemy design. Part of what's so frustrating about that thing is that they did a solid job on those two critical pillars (with the occasional exception, Junkflea is a pain to navigate) and then whizzed everything else down their leg while masturbating to it.

Everything I've seen about it has described the mod as either Fallout Call of Duty, or Operation Anchorage 2.0, which is just an intrinsically unappealing concept in the FO 3 engine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Arcade would definitely post in A/T
Mr House? Probably Deals and Coupons

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, I suspect playing like that is going to become very trdious very fast. Because as much as the story stands out, this is still a game primarily about fighting and looting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even ignoring those worst bits, everything I've seen from Frontier has been absolutely dreadful, like they tried to recreate a modern Call of Duty campaign in fallout.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

pretty nuts

What a psycho way to wear a watch

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fit em all up in there posted:

Is there any benefit to siding with the powder gangers on a leigion run or should I just stick with Good Springs

Mechanically, no, but neither is there a benefit to siding with Goodsprings. Roleplaying wise, you can reason that allowing Powder gangers to assert themselves might indicate if some of them would make good legion soldiers / temporary puppets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you start looking into texture replacers, model replacers, animation replacers, the mod count can very quickly balloon out of control, especially once you get down to the granular level where you have a couple of mods for each weapon and each critter in the game... I never found that necessary or even at all beneficial to the end experience, but the options for cosmetic tweaking of the game are pretty much limitless

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only visual mod (or rather collection of mods) I refuse to play without is vurt's flora, to emprettify the otherwise drab Mojave outdoors without clashing with the vanilla look.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not a total conversion, but the only quest mod I've liked is Autumn Leaves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean it's not a great mystery, they are made by amateurs and there are no proper editors or design documentation.

Maybe a better question is why does FO3 script falls to the level of free mods, lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There was a recent attempt to remake Fallout 2 as a Doom clone, but I don't think it was too serious

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nobody Interesting posted:

A reddit post asked for one that turned the Mysterious Stranger into Easy Pete, so I did that.

Does he throw dynamite instead of firing a revolver?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No it doesn't :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BurritoJustice posted:

Good to see that PerkSawyer is following the tradition of slapping Sawyer's name on an unrelated mod and stuffing it to the brim with completely nonsensical and unnecessary changes.

Nerfing everything good is bad enough, but then the mod adds a CHA 4 requirement to being gay!

Please download my mod SawyerAfterDark, a collection of adult themed add-ons in the spirit of what the mythical figure only known as Sawyer ACTUALLY intended for the hardcore gamer before the woke censors got their grubby hands all over the game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BurritoJustice posted:

I get why the mod makes that change, CHA is useless so there needs to be a reason to increase it (and dialog checks that let you skip a lot of conflict is a decent reason). The gay CHA requirement thing is just funny, I think the mod sucks on top of that.

You gotta have some charisma to be a cool bro hanging out with other cool bros, nothing sexual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wasn't nv redesigned the mod where the creator decided to change the race of characters depending on his vision of what they should have been?