Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My entire mod list (with the 4GB patch, of course) is:

MCM
JIP
JIP Companions
Nevada Skies
A Wasteland in Bloom
Cheat Terminal

And, aside from making the mistake a few times of alt+tabbing out which apparently starts a memory leak which will reliably crash the game a few minutes later, I've only had one crash in a couple hundred hours. I'm pretty sure that (apart from the alt+tab memory leak thing) the game is rock solid as-is and only becomes crashy as you add dozens of mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

:wtc: never admit to using godmode cheats on a video games internet forum

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So, I am bad at computers.

I got a new machine and thought it might be cool to install the VNV suite all the cool kids rave about, right? But, well, and I'm embarrassed to admit this--which is why I'm trying admitting it to you goons before enduring the ridicule I will no doubt receive if I admit it in the VNV or MO2 discords--I can't get the game to launch with mods at all.

I am incompetent, sure, but it's not like I've never done this before. I've been playing modded Skyrim and FNV through MO2 for years just fine.

I can't figure out how the hell to, y'know, run the game with mods. Everything's installed, looks exactly like VNV says it should, but I click Run and it brings me to the regular ol' stock menu (where you're supposed to click Play, remember?) instead of just launching the game with the mods like my old machine always has.

I've dug up every resource I can easily find, FAQs, tutorial videos, and so on. Apparently I am being so astonishingly stupid that whatever I'm overlooking is so kindergarten-level obvious that it never occurred to anyone involved to even mention it.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what it might be?

If the only answer is "nuke everything, uninstall FNV, then start over from scratch" then so be it. Kinda hoping I'm just being stupid here, though, because I don't really want to pour another few hours into starting over when it's likely as not that whatever mistake I made I'll just make again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thanks for asking. Yes, I am launching FalloutNV.exe. After that failed I tried NVSE as well but got the same result. Either way, it still launches the launcher first, and doesn't load any mods.

To be clear, the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FalloutNV.exe.

I am aware that MO2 (which is installed in its own folder under C:\) doesn't like working with \Program Files but Steam doesn't really give you much choice unless you want to reinstall all of your games, or perhaps if you're far more of an expert than I am. If that's really the problem then I will get the game from GOG next sale and try again, I guess.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 15, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nope, Steam doesn't allow it unless it's on a different drive. "Selected drive already has a Steam library folder. Steam will manage multiple game installs in a single folder for you."

Near as I can tell this translates to "gently caress you."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thanks, I might do that one of these days. Doesn't seem likely it's the issue here though, Skyrim with all its mods works fine even though it's in Program Files (as does FNV on my other machine with like 6 mods).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sure did. 100% running through MO2, not from the folder or start menu or any shortcut.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes and yes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

v1ld posted:

Did you run FNV and nvse_loader from inside of MO2 by adding an entry in the gears menu? If you launch them from the folder, bypassing MO2, you won't see the mods.

Some experimentation on this, if I manually launch FalloutNV.exe the game fires right up with NVSE (but with no mods of course), but if I run it through MO2 it pauses a second while communicating with Steam and then launches the vanilla launcher instead.

So it must be hosed due to be in C:\Program Files after all, is all I can figure. I'll be hosed if I'm going to mess around with tearing out and reinstalling Steam and all my games. I'll wait for the next sale on GOG and then see if I still feel like starting over on VNV.

Thanks for the (attempted) help!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 15, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I always want to murder Vulpes the first time I meet him and I'm not very good at Fallout, so I usually end up running around overleveling/overgearing until I'm ready to go to Nipton and murder me some legionnaires.

Semirelated, it's also hard for me to resist the siren song of powerleveling Lockpick and Guns to beeline to Gobi ASAP.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Veronica is the most cool and good follower because how can you not love someone whose style is pulping heads point-blank and frequently getting shot in the back of the head by me because she loves to rush in at just the precise millisecond I pull the trigger

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Why would you not want reputation damage? It comes with free daily supply drops of high end gear!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

To be fair there are a couple of specific areas that are a really irritating huge empty slog where you desperately long for a sprint button, and the McCarran/Sharecropper Farms area is definitely right up there with Nellis and HD in that regard. Those areas really just needed an extra couple of fast travel markers. Thank the gods for modding.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dreamsicle posted:

That looks cool thanks. I've been looking for mods/Stewie tweaks to make Special more impactful and this is going to be big for me.

This was one of the few things I had a problem with when playing however I didn't want to fast travel either as I felt that would take away the danger. I've wanted to use this mod but since it's 7 years old, I'm hesitant to use it. Is there a more up to date equivalent? If not The Living Desert and one or both of AWOLP and/or MoreMojave should help for normal travel.

Yeah but there's no danger in any of those areas, ever, which is part of what makes sloooowly walking back and forth across them so excruciating.

Skwirl posted:

Last patch was released in 2011 there's probably script optimization that could but it shouldn't be broken or anything.

I don't know but just based on what it does I would not be surprised if this particular mod was a script-heavy save-file-exploding disaster.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Has any "completely remake an old polular game in a newer game's engine" mod for a game of this scope ever been completed? It's a gargantuan amount of work with zero authorial creativity involved.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

So, I am bad at computers.

I got a new machine and thought it might be cool to install the VNV suite all the cool kids rave about, right? But, well, and I'm embarrassed to admit this--which is why I'm trying admitting it to you goons before enduring the ridicule I will no doubt receive if I admit it in the VNV or MO2 discords--I can't get the game to launch with mods at all.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what it might be?

So, remember all that from a few pages back?

I bought the game from GOG and installed it outside /Program Files and sure enough, that was the entire problem. Everything worked perfectly first go.

PSA, don't be dumb like me and let Steam install games in /Program Files.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

72 minutes, I think

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Warning warning warning, searing hot takes ahead~

I found Honest Hearts pretty okay, Lonesome Road kind of disappointing, OWB wasn't my thing at all but I can see why other people love it, and Dead Money was just loving godawful. Played it once and will never touch it again. I don't think I've ever played anything actually made by the official devs that felt more like a terrible quest mod than DM.

I was generally underwhelmed with all the DLC and not very interested in it, yes I know it's me I'm weird.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well it looks like I've played Skyrim for the last time. It had a good run.

This poo poo is why I'm glad I could get FNV from GOG, so I can't have unwanted updates that break all my mods forced on me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just want to point out that I'm pretty sure this, from the linked post:

quote:

I won't cover this here as it requires a third-party program to "unlock" the feature through Steam's console, but you can investigate this yourself.

Refers to a thing that violates Steam's TOS and can get you banned from Steam if they ever get a bug up their rear end about it. Probably will never happen but still a hell of a risk.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Listen, if you can't bring yourself to blow Sunny Smiles' head off with her own varmint rifle and her little dog's too, then an Evil Karma playthrough just isn't your thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm thinking about a new gimmick run which is basically going to be Hitman: New Vegas. I made a list of nearly every named character in the game and will feed it to an RNG, which will pick one to be the contract giver. I'll get to that person as expeditiously as possible, at which point I'll have the RNG choose a target that I have to go and (quietly, if possible) kill, then return to the quest giver for payment. Which I guess will be something like 500 caps base, 1000 for a "clean" kill (no one else noticed me performing it), only 250 if I have to kill anyone else in my approach or escape. FNV's stealth system is super easy to break over your knee once you get Sneak up past about 50 so I may get bored with it quickly, or I may keep going until I've depopulated the entire Mojave just for kicks, I dunno. I'll probably beeline to finishing Ring-a-ding-ding! and giving the Chip to House first and then retire from the courier business to be an assassin instead.

Obviously a lot of console fuckery will have to be involved. I imagine I'll quickly end up Vilified by every faction, I might allow myself a mechanic like the old Mercenaries games where you could pay a huge pile of money to reset your standing with a faction to Disliked or whatever the minimum for "won't attack you on sight" is.

Any recommendations for mods beyond the bog standard VNV setup that might fit with that? Or does a mod that basically already does all of that exist and I overlooked it? I'd make it myself if I weren't so lazy and incompetent, but, y'know.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pack it in fellas, we have found the greatest mod of all time and it will never be topped

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

When I set up VNV a couple months ago the whole process took maybe an hour start to finish.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

My setup for new vegas uses the old FOMM stuff. How hard is it to swap all that?

Just follow the first couple sections of VNV to get Mod Organizer set up and then add whatever mods you want to add to it, it will take about an hour but long run it's the easiest way to handle it.

Caveat, if your game is in Program Files then Mod Organizer won't work full stop, I learned this the hard way!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Boomers are cool but Nellis as a location is loving awful

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I think you can manually install the 4gb mod, tick fix and YUP and be pretty much good to go for a playthrough right there

Yeah for someone who's never played New Vegas before just do this. It stands just fine on its own.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Would that script actually revert your agility skill when you put your gun away? Or is it just 1 forever now.

Now you're talking about storing the original agility as a variable and recalling it when the gun's put away, have fun in the rabbit hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Zereth posted:

I think you're remembering wrong because Oblivion didn't have that command you had to take more roundabout methods.

Yeah that's what they were saying, Oblivion was the last game they didn't do that.