Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want to replay New Vegas with an interesting character build. This is a problem because my last character had 10 int and kind of reached 100 in every single skill by the end. I was using Project Nevada but I can't really remember what other mods - are there any particularly good SPECIAL/perk/skill overhauls like SPERG/Requiem/PerMa etc for Skyrim? Thanks!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

closeted republican posted:

Finished up New Vegas Bounties 3.

*The guilt-tripping part at the start of the mod is ridiculous. it tries to add some depth to the faceless NPCs you killed as bounties and how the consequences of opening fire on every jackass you see, but it's so hamfisted it made me roll my eyes. I melted the daughter turned druggie hooker Virgil tried to guilt-trip me with as a way to tell the mod maker that I wasn't going to take that poo poo.

*The mod tries to use children way too often as a way to make you think about the consequences of your actions. It's such a cheap way to add depth and consequences that I killed everyone with kids or a pregnant girlfriend to spite the mod maker and his atrocious plot writing.

*The town getting wiped out was stupid. I had barely knew the people there and the mod maker seroiusly thinks I'm going to be pissed they were all gunned down?

*Some of the bounties are really clever. I loved the one where you had to goad the target into attacking first so you could get some extra caps as a reward. The mine and trap-filled cave was my favorite; it really took advantage of how deadly traps can be if placed right and it had a ton of them. The ending part of that cave, which involved a Brahmin with C4 strapped to it and lots of Bottlecap Mines, was really cool.

*I never expected a mod would let you shoot an Edward Snowden expy in the face. His appearance was out-of-place, but it was quite an experience force-feeding Fallout's Edward Snowden a laser.

*Randall's resurrection makes no sense, especially since he's killed again anyway. Why bother bringing him back if you're just going to waste him again?

*Taking on the bounty hunters that betryed you was pretty drat satisfying. Effortlessly mowing them down with my modded Gatling Laser ruled.

Overall, the whole thing feels like wasted potential. The plot kinda sucks and the writing is about as subtle as having your balls chopped off. The only parts that stood out to me would've worked just as well as new bounties for NVII instead of being a part of NVBIII. I enjoyed finally being able to turn the legendary Marko into an ash pile, but it overall could've been done much better. The way the series ended doesn't suggest it'll have post-main quest content and random encounters based on your actions, like NVBII and The Inheritance do. Shame, because those were some of my favorite parts of the Someguy series.
Honestly, I found NVBI pretty awful. Terrible writing, scripted combat with idiotic balance, nothing much else to it really. Is II good at least?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I vaguely remember realistic headshots and P:N being a really bad combination. Or realistic headshots just being bad in general.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just spent eight hours installing mods with a brief break to run out for beer. I'm 24, I wasn't supposed to still be doing this twelve years after Morrowind :negative:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So is there really any reason not to use power armour? I use it every playthrough and I just don't see any reason not to other than "because I want to use something else this playthrough"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kumaton posted:

Is there a mod that adds the GRA unique weapons (Two Step Goodbye, Bozar, etc.) into the game world instead of stuffing them into Vendors? Sort of like what Right to Bear Arms does, but without the stuff that makes it conflict with all the other mods that I use (WME, Fook-PN Convergence, whatever else).
Right to Bear Arms conflicts with Fook-PN Convergence? I'm using them together and everything seems fine.

Also I just played Autumn Leaves and it loving owns, everyone play it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Can you elaborate on your experience with Autumn Leaves? It would be nice to update the OP with some more quest mods, since that seems to be a pretty common request from people.
I bumped into the guy who made it on another forum so I'm going to write up fuller impressions for him soon, but basically:

It's a very tightly-designed mod that focuses on writing, atmosphere and detail. The maker seems to really get Fallout, the whole tone of the mod fits into the game and the franchise very well. From the first time you step into Hypatia, you quickly encounter loads of great mysteries and plot hooks, with really fitting and haunting piano music in the background. There's a professionalism and crisp, disciplined quality to everything on offer; the mod takes place over a relatively small, lovingly crafted area with lovely art direction and attention to detail, carried by impressive dialogue, voice-acting and writing that manage to be expansive without ever seeming long-winded or redundant.

The mod claims to be influenced by the original Fallout and Planescape: Torment more than anything, and that really shows in the use of skill checks, choices and consequences and the need to really use your brain to figure out solutions instead of relying on brute force and a quest compass. It managed to keep me enthralled enough to finish it in more or less one sitting, and not a single combat scenario that I encountered, which was extremely refreshing. I think I got the best ending, but there are definitely a few stones I haven't turned yet - not sure how replayable it'll be when you do everything right the first time, though, so I might just go back and dig around soon. Some rough edges and typos were nowhere near enough to bring down a mod that offers 5-7 memorable DLC-quality hours of enjoyment.

I will say that there's one character who I didn't particularly appreciate, Rolland. He's very much necessary to the mod but I found him annoying beyond his intentionally irritating nature (he's basically the trickster/fool type) and his voice actor is some obnoxious Newgrounds superstar. He doesn't ruin the atmosphere at all - which is a testament to how great the writing is even at its weakest - but he's definitely hit or miss, and for me it was a miss. Nonetheless, this was really the only thing dragging it down, and it's still miles above any other New Vegas quest mod I've played.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm using YUP and I haven't noticed anything dumb and my game is generally less buggy/weird. Couldn't point to a single change I'm 100% certain it makes, which is... exactly what I want out of a mod like that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hello children. I'm having a weird bug with saving - every single time I save, the game freezes for a good two or three minutes before giving me the "saving" notification and continuing. Sometimes it freezes permanently and I have to force close. This happens with CASM, with and without autosaves, with and without quicksaves. My save files are a normal size and it only started a couple of days ago without my having installed anything new.

Any ideas??

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Hello children. I'm having a weird bug with saving - every single time I save, the game freezes for a good two or three minutes before giving me the "saving" notification and continuing. Sometimes it freezes permanently and I have to force close. This happens with CASM, with and without autosaves, with and without quicksaves. My save files are a normal size and it only started a couple of days ago without my having installed anything new.

Any ideas??
So I turned half my mods off, loaded my save and this was still happening, quit, turned them back on, loaded the same save and the problem was gone. I hate this game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

el_caballo posted:

Figure this is the place to ask since it's probably mod-related: my save game load time has suddenly gone from less than 10 seconds to over a minute. I've been playing with basically the same mods for hours with no problem. Then something hosed up during Honest Hearts.

Any way to fix this? The last time it happened I went back to an earlier save but it just happened again for no obvious reason. I've just been dealing with it, but if it's just going to get worse, there's no point in playing.

This is like my fourth attempt to beat this goddamn game.

I've FNVEdited a bunch of poo poo LOOT was complaining about and created a merged patch. This is all pre-loading issue, too.
I fixed a problem like this recently by turning off all my mods, loading, seeing it was still happening then turning them back on. It worked. New Vegas.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

In other modquest news, Rebuilding the Bison Steve is pretty alright. It sends you all over the Mojave, it lasts for half the game, and you get to reduce the number of bombed out ruins.
I really enjoyed it other than the weird modder waifu character in her sweet loot shack rambling about how good his Fallout 3 mod was (I assume?), and the way it just kind of... ended.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Trip Report, Tales of the Burning Sands Edition:

Do you like fetch quests?
part 2 and 3 are much better, 1 has a neat ending but is just boring as hell otherwise

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao look what fuckin Bethesda did now. Remember Autumn Leaves and how good it is? They do!

quote:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/fallout-4-far-harbor-dlc-contains-quest-stolen-from-codexer-developed-new-vegas-mod.109879/

Autumn Leaves is a DLC-sized quest mod for Fallout: New Vegas developed by BaronVonChateau, who you may know on the Codex as Chateaubryan. By all accounts it's an excellent mod, taking inspiration from classics such as Planescape: Torment and proudly upholding Codexian design values such as choice & consequence and skill checks. Hell, it even has a Cleve Blakemore reference. Unfortunately, coming out only weeks before the release of Fallout 4, Autumn Leaves was overlooked by many players. Somebody at Bethesda must have noticed it, though...because it turns out they shamelessly plagiarized it for their recent Far Harbor DLC. And I don't just mean that they took inspiration. Take a look at Chateaubryan's comparison at Mod DB:

A few weeks before Fallout 4’s release, Autumn Leaves, a Fallout : New Vegas Mod was published on Moddb and the Nexus. It featured a colorful cast of excentric robots, in charge of a forgotten Vault where a strange murder happened. Sounds familiar ?

Maybe, to those who played Far Harbor’s “Brain Dead.”​

First off, both quests begins with a discussion through an interphone with the caretaker of the Vault, a headwaiter robot with a rather distinguished persona. The big mandatory Vault Door opens, leaving the player up for the exploration of said vault.

The main quest itself, which consists in investigating the murder by checking the crime scene, and speaking to every robot in the Vault.

The mysterious death of the prime financier of the Vault, who - in both cases - worked alongside Vault-Tec to build the special place.

The importance of voice modulators in the plot, to distinguish the robots between themselves.

The sexytime moment.

And of course, the mandatory “Let’s discuss paintings with a robot.”

Then, there’s the Neural Interface Matrix in BD versus the Neuro Comp Matrix in AL, the presence (and relevance to the plot) of a robotic expert in the Vault, the feel of the central atrium, the quasi-exclusive robotic cast confronted to a murder, the misleading piece of evidence (Keith/Rolland), among others.​

The Codex has always talked about how Bethesda are creatively bankrupt, but this is a new low. So what can be done? Bethesda are probably legally within their rights doing this. I say they should be publicly shamed into extending credit to Chateaubryan...but that would take a louder megaphone than ours. Ultimately, all I can do is recommend that you download and play Autumn Leaves. And not Fallout 4.

The creator wrote about it over on moddb as well.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 15, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/753683030682832897
http://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/753690408501194752

lmao this guy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Why wouldn't you just say "I talked to the creator of that quest and he told me he was unaware of that mod and therefore not inspired by it. So it's just a coincidence. Thanks for bringing the similarity to our attention, and get ready for vault-tec dlc on the 26th!"

Is Pete Hines brain damaged?
yes. He's a real mystery because Bethesda obviously have great marketing but he's been in his position since at least Morrowind and I've never seen him be anything other than incredibly petty, alarmingly unstable and vaguely borderline

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Monicro posted:

A friend of mine pointed out the GECK (and Skyrim Creation Kit) EULA actually sneaks in permission for them to do that:

Still lovely obviously, but what are ya gonna do
EULAs aren't legally binding at all, but yeah, I really doubt there's any legal recourse available :shrug:

There's maybe an argument to be made under inalienable moral rights, especially since the author is European, which could get interesting, but it doesn't sound like he's going to do it and it would probably be difficult since ultimately it was still made in Bethesda's toolkit with Bethesda's assets.

It's a moot point I guess, it's more about the moral shittiness of it than anything.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kotaku have weighed in to explain that some other murder mystery stories have also been written in the past and some of them have robots in them therefore it is illegal to suggest Bethesda may have ripped anyone off. Thank u kotku

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah NV3 has a couple of fun fights but is overall kind of... questionable. The author seems to be kind of insane generally, if that helps

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

autumn leaves is cool as hell

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am Tsundere.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Making a mod that replaces everything with pee, poo , turds etc

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there's loads, I always thought people were complaining abnout nothing until I replayed a year or two ago and bumped into them loving everywhere in the dumbest places

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So Nipton, which as we all know was burned down for being degenerate, has been bought by weedlords

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...source=facebook

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You can make Skyrim look pretty decent as long as you never look at water in motion. New Vegas is beyond saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If three dog grows on you it's probably because of Stockholm syndrome