Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sanzuo posted:

Just picked this up on Steam and getting ready to play for the first time. Are there any mods in the performance/graphics department that you all couldn't live without? Or am I good to go with vanilla for a first run?

Grab the stutter remover and NMC textures (medium or small unless you have a beefy rig). If you want to be as close as possible to the original's art direction you might want to replace the terrain textures with Ojo Bueno's (Poco Bueno's in case you don't have a lot of VRAM at your disposal) or at least use the Washed-out Wasteland version of NMC's. There's also a pretty swell (but unfortunately incomplete) pack of textures from Arenovalis/Millenia for weapons, though if I recall correctly you need a compatibility patch to make it work with the extra weapons DLC.

Really though, if you don't want to bother with modding just go vanilla, it'll be perfectly fine. (Do grab the stutter remover even if you don't mod the game though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Since I'm fairly sure this is the only Fallout: New Vegas mod topic (where Skyrim has its own separate topic for graphics), I'm just going to drop it here: Realism ENB *looks* (haven't tried it yet) to be the first decent ENB configuration for Fallout: New Vegas. Not perfect, the night screenshots look kind of bad, but the author went for a natural color scheme with just a tiny bit of saturation and generally bright lighting. I'll probably check it out when I reinstall F:NV, though I'd probably also tweak it further because I really don't like blurry excessive Depth of Field.

P.S. : Author says it isn't tested with the DLC, so I imagine the ones with heavy monochrome color schemes like Lonesome Road and Dead Money might look a tad weird.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm pretty fond of Enhanced Shaders. It uses an older version of ENB, but looks nice and runs fairly well.

Yeah, I suppose Enhanced Shaders is pretty good too. I just have.. awful memories of most of the presets posted on the Nexus. Fallout 3 got some pretty decent ones *, but somehow New Vegas only seems to get poo poo. Standout being: ENB of the Apocalypse. That's just :psyduck:

* caveat being that I feel most ENB presets look better in screenshot than in motion

BigDes posted:

There was a mod posted in this thread I am sure a while ago

The photo of it featured a very anime girl in it (of course) however the meat of the mod was a gigantic gatling gun and some sort of handheld artillery cannon

You got the guns by going down a well in Goodsprings opposite the bar and buying them off some crazy trader. Does anyone have any idea what mod I am talking about because I really want that gatling gun again

Do you have any additional info? I don't want to be a downer but "you can get the weapon in Goodpsrings" and "had an anime girl in the screenshots" describes more than half of the mods in the Nexus :shobon: A quick search on the Nexus turned out this, but I'm fairly sure there's a bunch of Gatling guns that don't have gatling in the mod name.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Upmarket Mango posted:

I think I pretty much have daytime locked down.

To be honest, I think it looks a little garish as of now. I'd try to tone down the saturation on the ground a little bit.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That sure adds a lot to Moore's characterization, though. :shepface:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Basic Chunnel, are you using ENB? Those sound like bugs I experienced when using it, no matter the version or set up.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah I am. That's probably it. And I haven't noticed any difference at all, really.

Some ENB configurations are amazing, but unfortunately it's still a buggy hack with a lot of problems. In case you are using an ATI card though, try to turn ForceNVidiaCard or whatever the option was in the ENB ini to 1. Supposedly that fixes a bunch of problems, though I never managed to make it work, personally.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

Two ENB Series questions: is it common to have totally messed up water reflections (the surface is totally see-through with radiating white lines and fuzz all over), and is there an easy way to get night vision type effects to work?

1) Yeah, pretty much every ENB config tells you to just disable them in the graphic options because they don't work right with it.

2) Eeeeeh... not really? I think Blackout supposedly had those effects working, but by itself ENB screws with the game's way of applying visual overlays. Luckily you can enable/disable ENB on the fly, so at worst you can always disable ENB while using night vision.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's no real fix for the transparency in ENB. It can be at most mitigated when you're not aiming through iron sights. It's not even *real* transparency, it's just AO and shadows being rendered even when the objects are covered, and a product of ENB not being able to tell that it shouldn't.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is the plot of Beyond Boulder Dome really terrible? I would normally assume that any mod with storyline is going to be pretty bad, but I'm curious to hear about this one.

I thought it had a few good ideas and a lot of terrible ones, and that it was executed terribly all around. It's especially jarring when juxtaposed with Fallout: New Vegas relatively sober world building and dialogue writing. If you're really aching for more FPS Fallout it's worth a try, but I wouldn't say I recommend it.

Just to give you an idea of how zany and terrible it can get: one of the big plot twists involves a super computer actually turning out to be a super intelligent depressed monkey pretending to be a super computer.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
What do the nights look like Upmarket Mango? Are you going to do multiple weather cycles and are you tackling DLC? Basically, tell us more. :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This kind of mods only really works if you install it at the start of a new playthrough, and besides that, Freeside Open is kinda laggy and crashy because the engine is kinda poop at handling all that stuff. Besides that, I don't remember bugs or broken quests, and the reintegrated/redesigned cut content felt very polished and made the area actually feel like it was supposed to, lively and run-down. Not that vanilla Freeside was bad, but you could tell Obsidian wanted to do much more with it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm thinking of playing through all of the Fallout games this year, and I was wondering if there are any mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas that make people look uglier? I know the engine is limited in terms of body-type, but I think the games would be so much better if there were truly emaciated people or people missing arms. As it stands though, are there where the face is the thing you have the best chance of actually changing are there any mods that add scars and boils and stuff on the populations of the Wasteland?

Never had the chance to try it but this mod changes the male headmesh. Not sure if it plays well with facegen though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gyshall posted:

True Leaning. This is awesome, I'm going to try it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SldAKFdVovY

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/53063//

Also Mod Organizer is the absolute poo poo for this game now that it is pretty well supported (fomod installers and the like)

One profile for TTW, one for pure New Vegas. So good.

Do I have to actually download the latest version of Mod Organizer separately or can I update it automatically? I don't have New Vegas installed at the moment, but I do have Fallout 3 install, and if I could handle all the Fallouts and Skyrim with the same program (it wasn't possible with MO when I downloaded it, it latched to a single game) it would be great.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gyshall posted:

You'll have to make a new MO install to do that. I have C:\Games\MOSkyrim and now C:\Games\MOFNV

My only gripe with Mod Organizer, really. Fair enough, though!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kuno posted:

drat, check this face overhaul mod out, sounds like he might be doing HD body textures too.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54460/

I like what I see in the screenshots mostly but I'm not sure if I'd want to use it in this state. It looks like some of the redone faces don't really capture the character of Obsidian's original work (as subpar as it might have been in places, Obsidian's character artist managed to do some decent things with the facegen they were given, in particular I really liked the King for example), and while the new Raider textures look good, I'm afraid it might get kind of old if *every* raider has a painted faced.

P.S. : Worst part is that I'd have to go with FNVEdit and sort out incompatibilities with overhauls that alter characters like JSawyer :psyduck:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Actually, the most important TTW question is: do you get the two races of Super Mutants with their proper models, or do you have to stick with one or the other for both the Capital Wasteland and the Mojave?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I've been slowly setting up a new modded game of Fallout: New Vegas recently with ModOrganizer, but I need some help: I remember a goon had set up a really helpful post with instructions on how to import a UI mod setup, but I can't find it for the life of me. Can someone explain to me how to do that without having to manually install all the separate mods and then made the xml edits? I did that once and it was a pain and egregiously difficult to troubleshoot, so I'd prefer to avoid that experience.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
For now I've been using the Nexus Mod Manager to install Project Nevada, MCM and the interface related stuff, and ModOrganizer seem to work fine with that. The downside, I guess, is that right now my base installation isn't *completely* vanilla, but hey, I guess the worst that can happen is that I might have to reinstall in the future. Thanks for the help!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Started doing my :spergin: work on Fallout Character Overhaul's faces, I'm pretty happy with what Chief Hanlon's face, was surprisingly easy to get it more or less where I wanted it, though I'll probably still do some tweaking:

Any feedback on it from people with a better eye than me?

Also did some work on the King, and some minimal tweaking on the mod's alternative faces for Doc Mitchell and Arcade Gannon, but I don't really feel like they deserve/are ready to be shown. Going at this pace I should have New Vegas ready for a second playthrough in 2022. :shepface:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'm hoping that shot isn't representative of his face in general, because he went from Generic Guy With Beard to Squinty McClayface. I've loved the FCO work so far, but that one just doesn't sit right.

Nah, I'm to blame for the bad Hanlon face, not the FCO guy nor the guy who did the alternative faces plugin. I tried to use Kristofferson as a reference, but it's clear I failed to get it right, so I'm reworking it now.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Man Whore posted:

EDIT- drat it IWS I want to like you but you made my game so unstable. I never had to deal with a crash every hour and it scares me.

Don't know how much it might help, but one thing I've noticed is that IWS base doesn't hurt my stability all that much, but start using the add-ons for faction patrols, guards to the cities, etc. and suddenly my game has serious memory problems.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 30, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You'll have to install another copy of Mod Organizer to handle New Vegas unfortunately. Also, considering Mod Organizer has some problems handling FOMODS installer, you might just want to use FOMOD or Nexus Mod Manager for Fallout.

xanthan posted:

Then again ENB seems to keep making everything turn invisible at random times and I'm not sure what part of it is causing that but it happens no matter what preset, including no preset, or ENB version is used.

That's when the Steam overlay pops up, ENB jus doesn't play nice with that.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 3, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
EDIT: Dumb double post.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

xanthan posted:

That's what it was? Ok then, back to using ENB as soon as I find a good preset. Thank you.

Most ENB presets are rubbish, but if you're using URWLNV, the one that comes with that mod is actually pretty good (I ended up disabling the palette because I think it's bad, but eh, it's easy enough).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mage Ham posted:

Is there anything I'm leaving out that would be considered obligatory and/or highly recommended? I want overall improvements without too complex a load-order, whence the current minimalist approach.

Absolutely use CASM for save game convenience and consider using both the Stutter Remover and NVAC extensions for NVSE. Aside from that, it's all a matter of taste, CCO and Project Nevada are both pretty good and play well together, and they also have compatibility patches with jsawyer (well, CCO has, don't remember if Nevada Rebalance had one too), but they might make the game too fidgety for your tastes. Those are the only mods I'd think of as "essential/universally recommended".

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Has anyone else had problems with Lombard Station becoming increasingly unstable? More than half the time I try to enter, especially if I've been playing for a while, the game crashes to desktop. It got so bad that I had to revert to an earlier save and lost some play time. The only thing I can think that's doing it is some of the extra weapon mods I have.

No problem with instability, but after 35 hours with this modded playthrough I still can't find where it's supposed to be. :downs:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Have you been to Jean Sky Diving and picked up the holotape and key from the NCR trooper there?

No, I completely missed those. It looks like the corpse fell underground in my game and only the helmet and the holotape were visible, which is why I didn't notice before I guess.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm normally not a huge fan of ENBs, but man, I'd like to reiterate that URLWNV combined with its own ENB looks really good:

And for the goons who were concerned about the Fallout Character Overhaul faces because of squinty Hanlon.. sorry? And here's a couple of screenshots to showcase the modder's work. Here and there it's a bit lazy or strays too far from vanilla's characterization, but overhaul it's pretty good (though you probably would want to couple with New Vegas Redesigned for the faces he doesn't touch up):

P.S. : Yeah, Benny is very far removed from vanilla, but I'll take this over potato-face.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Pretty sure they're installed right considering I used the FOMOD installer for the mod and it's just an esm, two esps and some mesh and texture data, so there's not much to screw up :shrug:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think that's even possible in the Fallout 3/New Vegas engine.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As far as the screenshots are concerned, I used (all the links are in the OP): NMC texture pack (the SMALL washed out wasteland version), URWLNV with its ENB (with the palette turned off), Fallout Character Overhaul (with the OnHolyServiceBound esp activated, which provides some alternative versions of some characters' faces that aim to be closer to vanilla's spirit), Wasteland Clothing Hires, Wasteland Flora Overhaul (ESPless version). Given you're in this thread you probably already know about UI mods, but just in case, I'm using the DarnUI, oHUD combo pretty much every New Vegas player uses now.

EDIT: Just as a quick note, Fallout Character Overhaul has some excellent playable races and headmeshes/textures, but the feedback on the modified NPC faces has been... mixed, as you can see from this thread. On top of that, it doesn't cover every NPC, so you might have to do some manual tinkering after installing it.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 12, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

uaciaut posted:

Anyone have a clue how Cirosan's mod interacts with JSawyer exactly? To be more specific:

1. How does the DR component interact with the fact that JSawyer added DR as a stat to multiple armors? Do you get the DR from the armor + the DR from Cirosan's mod? Wouldn't that end in having your character have too much DR? Or does Cirosan's remove any DR stat from all the armors of the game?

2. The CCO – GC JSawyer Patch adds a trinket to your inventory that lets you choose between what mod affects what, between JSawyer and Cirosan's, but only a few options are presented. Namely, i don't want Cirosan's changes to VATS, how Tag skills works and how NPC's health grows but i don't seem to be able to choose not to have said changes when i use the trinket, is it just my installation of CCO that does this or are you literally stuck with said features from the get-go if you install CCO?

Never used the DR module so I can't answer on that, but yeah, the JSawyer/Cirosan compatibility module only lets you choose between JSawyer and CCO values, it doesn't let you select to revert to vanilla for some of CCO changes.

EDIT: Note, however, that you don't have to use every CCO module, you could just roll with the edited perks and jsawyer for example, and place CCO under jsawyer or above it depending on which changes you want to take precedence.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

uaciaut posted:

Ye i know, problem is i really like some of CCO's changes conceptually (like how it turns perception into a non-poo poo stat post 6), but i don't like how if affects vats in particular, since vats was designed to work well with unarmed for example and now if you want an unarmed focused char you have to invest more perks into it, and with JSawyer's level limit being set to 35 you're really starving for perks as it is. Same goes for other perk changes that split some old perks into multiple ranks.

Thanks for the answer though.

As long as we're talking just about value changes, they shouldn't be difficult to revert to vanilla via FNVEdit, anyway. I've never done perk editing with FNVEdit, so I don't know how difficult it would be to remove the new broken-up perks and re-add the old vanilla ones, but it's definitely in the realm of possibilities. Changes applied via script would be a bit of a pain, but it doesn't look like you need to touch up those.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Project Reality was good but gave me some annoying performance issues. I also think the New Vegas version is kind of outdated, since he moved on to Fallout 3 and then Skyrim. If you want something along the lines of Nevada Skies, you should give a try to URWLNV from the OP, it's got a lot of swell-looking sky boxes and the lighting isn't half-bad either.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just want to point out it's actually NVSE that should be installed, given SKSE is the Skyrim version and won't work with Fallout (either 3 or New Vegas, which by the way have two separate versions anyway).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ddraig posted:

They just look and sound so loving goofy. I'm guessing they're supposed to be new enemies but they just look like tunnelers that have had virtually all intimidating characteristics removed and given a cartoon voice. I also encountered a mutant cat that looked like it had been ripped straight from Stalker, but with terrible textures.

They're based on concept art from Van Buren. If you think those are goofy, by the way, wait until you progress further :psyduck:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Welp, wearing the White Gloves attire was a bad idea, given it erased my reputation with the NCR and the Legion, which meant I couldn't help them with the Kimball thing. Well, no matter, finished this New Vegas playthrough, so now I'm going to wait for a while before coming back to it.

Given I intend to use A Tale of Two Wasteland, a couple of question:

1) How are the endings handled? I'd imagine Fallout 3 just has Broken Steel no-ending as default, but what about New Vegas? Does the battle of Hoover Dam still means the end of the playthrough?

2) Aside from Enclave troopers having insane DT and Super Mutants also being too beefy, are there any other outstanding balance problems in the Fallout 3 portion? I know that at least the Super Mutants have a patch that makes them weaker, and I can always edit the basic Enclave power armors to have lower DT with the GECK.

3) I've already found an edited, compatible version of CCO, Jsawyer and Project Nevada for the mod, plus the Interiors guy has done a merged version of the mod especially for A Tale of Two Wastelands, so I'm covered there too. I'm also running Increased Wasteland Spawns, the New Vegas Uncut mods, Manual Reload and the DFB Random Encounters mod (plus a bunch of other minor stuff that shouldn't conceivably give any problem). Is any of those mods going to give problems/need a compatibility patch?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

delta534 posted:

1) You are correct on the endings.

2) None that I know of that were not already part of the fallout 3 experience.

3) The only one that I think might be an issue is Increased Wasteland Spawns.

Thanks for the info. I'm in no hurry to replay the game, but it's good to know that I'll be able to minimize the tinkering when I do.

Looks ~*lore-friendly*~ to me! :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I recommend loading a save before you got into BBD if you're this frustrated because OH BOY IT KEEPS GOING :unsmigghh:

No, seriously, the details are fuzzy in my mind now but I distinctly remember having to go through multiple fetch quest after the final bullshit encounter where ELDER GUILE BETRAYS YOU (!!!) before finally being able to leave the area