Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

King Doom posted:

How the hell do you use the GECK to find a quest ID? I was downloading skins to try and get a character that doesn't look like a retarded potato that was attacked by wasps and I've found one that looks okay, but it gave me a retarded quest I can't get rid of and I'd really like to know where the gently caress they hid the quest ID's to make the cunting thing go away. I've been trying to work it out for about an hour and I'm about ready to stab someone.
1. Open the GECK and go to File -> Data...
2. Double-click FalloutNV.esm to select it and also whichever mod you're working on, then click "Set Active File" with the mod's .esp selected so it writes to that file.
3. Go here:

4. Note that that numeric ID field likes to collapse itself, at least on my monitor.
5. Delete as desired, save changes

OR, since you just want to cut out that part of the mod,
1. Open FNVEdit, make sure that mod is in the list of stuff to load.
2. Go straight to that mod in the list on the left, find the quest, right-click and delete
3. Save!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The game starts throwing hideouts at you in earnest after a few hours.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dickeye posted:

Are there any good male body replacers?
I can tell that you, sir, are a connoisseur of fine body mods, and we can only hope that they are ported to New Vegas posthaste.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

bef posted:

Is there any way I could get New Vegas to run from an external harddrive? I don't have enough space on my hd for all the modding I plan on doing, is it even possible?
You want Steam Mover.

Cross-Section posted:

Or you can be a cool dude and use Mod Organizer, to which they just added full FOMOD support.
Seems like goons all recommend this, but it also seems to be pretty clunky. I'm curious what it has going for it, since it doesn't install properly under Win7, and I have to launch it in administrator mode just to stop it from exploding.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Cross-Section posted:

Hmm, I'm running Win 7 64-bit and I haven't had any problems like that. Is your Steam folder located in Program Files? I've heard programs like Mod Organizer have issues with permissions and the like if they're located there.
My Steam folder is on a separate non-UAC drive, but Mod Organizer doesn't seem to be aware of UAC at all. So the installer tries to just copy MO into Program Files, which fails, and it doesn't add the program properly to the Start Menu, so the application doesn't even show up if I type its name in (which is also complicated by "ModOrganiser.exe" going into the "ModOrganizer" folder). And when it tries to update, it can't for the same reason. And it also spits out some warning about not being able to apply ini tweaks when it closes.

I fixed most of that by forcing it to run as Administrator, but at least NMM has an installer that works.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

These Loving Eyes posted:

What is the most user-friendly mod for adding your own mp3s to the game as a custom radio station? Bonus points if it applies some sort of subtle lo-fi effect on top of the original audio.
Haven't tried in a while, but I'm guessing it's this one.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rirse posted:

I asked this earlier in the page, but can anyone figure out why the New Vegas Mod Manager crashes anytime I enter the settings feature? Even not changing anything and hitting "okay" causes a crash.
Are you using Vista or Windows 7? Last I checked, FOMM installed itself to Program Files, so try running it as Administrator. It might be trying to save its settings somewhere the OS doesn't allow.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
You might also try following the alternate directions here. Can't say I've run into anything complicated enough to need a workaround, though.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Content that WOULD BE BANNED ON THE NEXUS. :stare:
So, textures from another game?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah the engine simply was not designed to handle that many people in one place. Even if your rig is amazing I kind of doubt you'll avoid crashing in freeside or the strip
I've been meaning to play through F:NV again sometime now that I have a better computer because something about just looking at NPCs would drive my framerate through the floor. It wasn't normally a huge problem, but the end of the game was just murder. I'm glad they cleaned it up a bit for Skyrim.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Not that it would be useful here, but I was rummaging through my old Fallout 3 game folder recently and remembered when "convert all your .ESPs to .ESMs" was the cutting edge of game stabilization. :v:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay. I tried using Mod Organizer once at the same time I had NMM installed, and I did something wrong, and ever since, NMM has never worked for me. If I can skip both and just use FOMM that's great.
FOMM should work fine with F:NV, but it sounds like you broke the URL associations. Reinstalling NMM or apparently running it as Administrator and checking the preferences for an option to register it as the default handler should work, or in MO, you can use nxmhandler.exe to set up associations with the different MO folders you keep for each game.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I wonder if I should only use MO for mod management and make a NV4GB.exe shortcut on my desktop, and no longer start the game through MO.
Unfortunately, that won't work, since MO's magic voodoo involves creating a fake Data folder that it tricks the game (or any other program you start through MO) into using. Run the game normally outside of MO, and it will act like that MO configuration doesn't exist.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Why isn't everything on the left side checked with a check mark, and why are they 'Unmanaged'? Could that have something to do with it?
"Unmanaged" usually means it's something you installed outside of Mod Organizer. it's in the real game folder, and MO just lets you know that it's there, and it's not trying to manage it for you.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The extraction has every single file corrupt and not working. Never mind that two days ago when I started trying to do this these two exact same files worked just fine.

quote:

Whenever I try to edit the .ini with the MO organizer, I get an error stating "failed to write to C:/Games/Mod Organizer/profiles/Default/fallout.ini" What in the gently caress is MOs problem?
The first one seems like a problem with UAC and Program Files (depending on the ZIP program you use, it might not be trying to give you the UAC prompt to get permission). You could try extracting the folder elsewhere, then dragging it into your Program Files folder where you want it.

But the second one shouldn't be covered by UAC, so I'm leaning toward that ghosts theory. :psyduck:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
That's how I got the DLC, and it still didn't work right. I eventually wound up picking them up on some Steam sale for a couple of bucks, and it worked properly.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kumaton posted:

If you get an error message that you data folders aren't on top when you're about to install a mod, you just have to click-n-drag the files it shows in the window up to the big ">data" header at the top. Ideally, if it shows a folder called "Data" under that, you'll just open up the folder in the window and drag all of it's contents, such as Meshes, Textures, and Sounds files, along with any .esms and .esps to the ">data" folder.
You don't need to drag things around unless the author was really dumb about how the mod is packaged (like that binoculars one):

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The handler application gets triggered by the Nexus links, and then it routes you to the correct installation of MO.

First: Create a separate copy of MO for New Vegas. You can use the installer, or you can just unzip the stuff into a different folder.

You need to find the copy of MO your browser uses to handle the links (Skyrim), then click on nxmhandler.exe from that folder to see which games it is handling:

Right-click in the window if you need to add a new game, and point the link to the correct copy of MO. Any copy of nxmhandler.exe can be registered to handle the links, but whichever one you pick has to know about all the different MO folders.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

nexus6 posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've already downloaded most of the mods I want to use manually for FOMM, is there any advantage to using MO over FOMM or vice versa?

MO unpacks all those mods to their own individual folders, and then it does dark voodoo to trick the game into believing all of them are in your Data folder. So if when something gets all hosed up, you can just turn it off in Mod Organizer, and it's all gone. Or if one of them has to be installed before another, just drag them around in the list.

If you've already installed a bunch of stuff with FOMM, you're not really going to see a ton of benefit, since they're outside of MO's magical mod zone, so it'll basically be the same as FOMM. But if you start fresh and install everything through MO, you don't have to worry about "Oh no, I installed a texture mod and now everything is rainbows."

Also, it doesn't matter whether you install stuff you downloaded manually or use the Nexus download links. If they have the original filenames, it can probably do the usual automated checking for updates either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

nexus6 posted:

I thought I'd try that but the RefID appears half cut off at the top of the screen. Like, I can only see the bottom halves of the characters :confused:

Maybe change aspect ratio? Or if you're using some sort of UI mod, it could be a configuration problem. Or maybe this.