Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

So you probably ended up here from that link in the shounen thread, and that's ok. Our specialty here is Shoujo and Josei manga, with a little bit of the sort of romance manga that feels out of place to talk about in the other threads.

Here's some titles that we voted our favorites:

Bonnouji (Temptation Temple)

Category: Seinen Romance

Kimi ni Todoke (From Me to You)

Category: Shoujo

Kuragehime (Jellyfish Princess)

Category: Josei

Love Com (Lovely Complex)

Versailles no Bara (Rose of Versaille)

Taiyou no Ie (House of the Sun)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (The Monster Next to Me)

Hourou Musuko (Wandering Son)

Category: Seinen

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

GE chapter 63 is up. Severely less frustrating then the past few, but hints that next issue could get worse again.

Also, thank you to those of you who mentioned Kimi no Iru Machi, I'm only a dozen chapters in so far, and I already want to slap some sense into each of the main characters. I'm sure that feeling is going to get worse.

If you've somehow missed Horo Musuko in the anime season threads, it's a quality read about gender identity with the issue taken seriously. The beautiful anime adaptation starts soon, but the manga is worth the read.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Good Ending 65

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

GE Issue 66 Discussion: I'm not sure if I'm more pissed that something I'd guessed 50 chapters ago turned out to be 100% right, meaning it was way too predictable, or that it took all chapter to tell the story of what happened.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Good Ending 67 Main character bucks up, and a side relationship fucks up.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

GE updates after it's delay 70 & 71. Will rage if the chapters demand it.

Post reading edit: My god, 3 mostly cutesy chapters in a row, is this the same comic?

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 27, 2011

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

oh, nice! I'd missed that there was a manga for Kuragehime. I'll definitely check it out.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

And why did she end it like that? As she grows older, eventually she'd get a life of her own, and have to leave Daikichi behind. But what kind of happy ending is it to see them grow apart? So she decides the logical way to keep a happy ending is to keep the two of them together forever. :bang: But yes, the first half of the series is great and not creepy at all, so don't be discouraged from watching the anime.

Edit: I notice the thread is gone for Mysterious Girlfriend X, and it's a romance of sorts, so... Two chapter updates this past week.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 1, 2011

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Willsun posted:

Has anyone who read all of Honey and Clover know if the end is as crap as how Usagi Drop turned out?

Honey & Clover is frustrating for a different reason. HUGE Honey & Clover spoiler - The core theme is that of unrequited love, and no one gets together with anyone at the end.
:negative:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I did create the thread with shoujo AND general romance in mind. After all, Good Ending is shounen and I wanted a place to bitch about how dumb the characters can be.

Edit: Having just read it, I'm not really seeing it as any sort of romance series, just harem. Fun series though.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 16, 2011

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Wait, did Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa just end? Is that it?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

OK, so Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa IS ending, and that was just the anti-penultimate chapter.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Excuse me, Antepenultimate. I stand by the epilogue still being a chapter.

Edit: I meant it about the one I originally thought was the final chapter.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 8, 2012

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Also in Usagi Drop news, someone has started scanning another volume which I didn't know existed. The only chapter from it scanned so far is pre-time jump and available here.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Tired of angsty teens?
I present, Bonnouji!

Our main character Ozawa (age 26) has broken up with her boyfriend of many years, and ends up drunkenly stumbling to the apartment of Oyamada who lives in the same building as her. His apartment is full of strange crap his brother sends him. It's a cute story, and I like the fact that it's a story about adults that isn't some hentai nonsense.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Did anyone know that there's a sequel to Please Save My Earth?

It's the story of (Original PSME Spoilers)Rin and Alice's 7 year old son Ren and his connection to Shion and Mokuren. Set 16 years after the original series, it's mostly Ren's adventures with his friends, but we get to see most of the old cast in bits and pieces.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I feel it is important to point out that the latest chapter of Bonnouji is fairly :nws:.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Skychrono posted:

Shonen Jump Alpha just started running Nisekoi but they started fifty chapters in... how is it? It seems like a cross between Love Hina and Ranma from the preview.

Vaguely standard gag harem series, I enjoy it. As usual for that kind of series, the side characters are the best parts. Mostly I'm just happy the creator of Double Arts is getting work.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I think it's time to update the OP, so I want to know:

What is your favorite Shoujo/Romance title, that everyone should read, that totally belongs in the OP?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Ok, I've started compiling (and reading a few I didn't know). I'll be typing it up tomorrow after work, so there's still room for suggestions if you have one.

Edit: Priority is going to titles that have been mentioned by more then one person.

Further Edit: Title Mentions are as follows, including my own.
Aoi Hana x2
Banana Fish
Bitter Virgin
Bonnouji x3
Cross Manage
Fruit's Basket
Fushigi Yuugi
Gokinjo Monogatari
Gokusen
Hana Yori Dango
The Heart of Thomas
High School Debut
Honey & Clover
Kare Kano
Kimi ni Todoke x2
Kodomo no Omocha x2
Kuragehime/Jellyfish Princess x2
Lovely Complex x2
NANA
Nodame Cantabile
Notes from the Garden of Lilies
Octave x2
Oh! My Goddess
Ooku
Ouran Host Club
Ore Monogatari
Oresama Teacher
Paradise Kiss x2
Rose of Versailles x2
Sailor Moon x2
Taiyou no Ie x2
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Wandering Son x2
Yamada's First Time

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 4, 2013

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

KnT: Pretty sure he's yelling at his son. The question is Why?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

You look like you could use a new chapter of Bonnouji!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, go for it. Yuri gets talked about enough, so for the sake of balance I'd been hoping we'd get some BL readers posting.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Unrequited Love: The Manga.

Honey & Clover :argh:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Bonnouji!

That is all.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Kimi Ni Todoke 86

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

So I read Honey & Honey today. I don't remember if it's been mentioned before but it's a semi-autobiographical tale of the author's lesbian relationship. As such it is very grounded in reality and is told with the intent of spreading understanding. It's fairly cute, mature, and fairly educational. The art is very simple, and the most recently translated chapter is a bit of a downer, but there's one chapter left to be translated, so I'm hopeful for a happy ending.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Recently I discovered a shounen romance called Mahou Tsukai no Yome or The Ancient Magus Bride. The setup is a little odd. Our main character is a 16 year old japanese girl who is being bid on in an occult auction. The male lead is an inhuman sorcerer who wins the auction, frees her, and makes her his apprentice. There's a slowly devolving love story between them, but mostly it's adventures with magical things like fairies and dragons. There's only 8 chapters so far, but it seems interesting.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Curl up with your meat pillow, it's a new chapter of Please Love the Useless Me.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Quick follow up of the next chapter of Kimi ni Todoke. Looks like things are tied up with this one, so hopefully the next issue will be someone else in the spotlight.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

Masamune-kun no Revenge:
Tone up into a bishounen and make that girl fall head-over-heels for you... so you can break her heart by rejecting her, of course!

Meh, I read the first chapter and that was as far as I'm willing to give it.

Anyone who thought this sounded a bit familiar or interesting and wanted shoujo should try Last Game. Same sort of idea, but instead of rejection she's just better then him at everything so he vows to make her lose to him by having her fall in love with him so he can reject her. Of course he totally falls in love with her first, and she's the sort of shoujo protagonist who doesn't notice. The short takes place when they're in elementary school, but the actual manga is 10 years later in college.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Nondevor posted:

I usually read a ton of lesser known shoujo series, so I often forget what's prominent or not. :shobon:

I'm pretty sure Yona of the Dawn and Akagami no Shirayukihime count though.

I just read through all of Yona of the Dawn and I really like it. I like that it's an adventure series that still feels super shoujo, like all the best parts of Fushigi Yuugi did.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Super shoujo in what ways? Because FY is notorious for being super shoujo in really bad ways.

Pastrymancy posted:

I like Yona of the Dawn because people actually take the female character seriously (and so does the author) without making her the McGuffin for two or more dudes to fight over. Her character development has been interesting.

This is a major factor of it. In the better the FY category, she's a female lead who's not content to stand back while others are fighting.

More important for me is that most of the stories focus on character growth as a whole. As an example, one side character gets a story arc where he stops being an immature poo poo and ends up becoming a leader who can be respected. Even villains are shown as human beings not just being evil for the sake of it.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I watched the first episode after my binge reading of the manga and wasn't overly thrilled, but maybe that's just because it takes a little bit to ramp up?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

:siren: Episode 1 of Oremonogatari is up on Crunchyroll :siren:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Terper posted:

Aaaaa the two new chapters of Yona, aaaaAAA

If it's too much for you, there's crappy scans of 89-92.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

:siren: Bonnouji Alert :siren:

Aki★Eda started playing card games!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Delicious Meat!

After all, if someone says "meat," you think of Shibata-san

edit: whoops, that's last chapter, the new one is here.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 4, 2015

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

pandabear posted:

^^Yeah, I'm really curious as to how this guy isn't an alright match for her.

I think she's just going eventually realize that other than being appreciative of his affection, she doesn't really love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, it's across manga in general. When I was helping a friend pick up missing volumes of Berserk, several volumes were $80+ and one volume was something stupid like $150. I had it happen again when I was trying to finish up my collection of Monster before they announced the new edition (I really should have waited), and that single volume was around $50.