Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke is my favorite shoujo at the moment, and is more or less handling the void left by Fruits Basket and Hana Yori Dango for me. A good number of people here watched the recent anime, but to be honest I don't think I really cared for it all that much. There was just something...missing in the adaptation. And more importantly the manga is a lot farther ahead. It's so good I think people should buy it.

The reason I think KnT is so good has to do with the characters; specifically the relationships Sawako forms with everyone, not just the main love interest. The synergy I feel from the cast is something I don't think I've felt since Kare Kano, and it winds up being truly heartwarming.

Another series I had been following very closely for some time was Skip Beat!, but as I mentioned in the Shounen thread I've grown pretty tired of it. Too much focus has been given to Ren lately, who has the personality of a trout and is so boring he is like a black hole of dull that drags everything else about the manga down with him. It desperately needs to get back to focusing on Kyoko and her career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

I haven't had time to start it yet but sooner or later I'm going to read trough Kare Kano since I've heard pretty good things about it.
I have mixed feelings about Kare Kano. The first 10 or so volumes, the "Yukino arc" as it were, are excellent. And the Gainax anime of adaptation of these volumes are even better, to the point where I would say that the Kare Kano anime up until episode 19 are arguably the best shoujo I've ever seen.

Then, infamously, the manga author and Gainax/Hideaki Anno had a falling out and the show got Gainax Ending-ed (after which Anno left anime for a long time). After volume 10 the manga would go on into the "Arima arc" and eventually finish up in 2005, but it just wasn't the same. It wore itself thin on a lot of plot lines, and just never seemed to regain that energy it had at the start. Worse still, there are some legitimately awful things suggested/implied in the ending epilogue that tarnished the whole manga for a lot of people. Those who have read it likely know what I mean.

So, in the end, I just don't know. I would at least recommend watching the anime because it's brilliant, and if you really want to know what happens then read the manga (or just read a summary I guess). It could have been so much more, though :smith:

E: Going to take this moment to also post Maboroshi's "Far and Away" AMV which is really amazing and got me interested in the series years ago. Contains massive spoilers, though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 29, 2010

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LadySage posted:

I have a pretty major love/hate relationship with Fushigi Yuugi. I got into it in middle school and thought it was the poo poo; it was one of the first anime series I ever watched, and I think the first shoujo. Loved the melodrama, loved the characters, loved the comic relief. To 13-year-old me, it was perfection.

Then I rewatched it 10 years later, and I realized it had a lot of elements from female-oriented media that I really hate, especially the rape-happiness and the falling instantly and eternally in love at the ripe old age of 15, and preferring death over life apart. But it still had enough redeeming features that the nostalgia wasn't totally destroyed and I still enjoyed it.

If I watched FY for the first time today, I'd probably hate it.
This is me in a nutshell too. I ate up everything FY related, even that awful Eikoden OVA. I'm not sure I can even say I've gotten over it so many years later, because I'm buying the Genbu Kaiden volumes as they come out. I mean, poo poo, it's new FY! I can't not at least read it!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The bigger problem with Gakuen Alice is how deathly serious and melodramatic it has become. Like this final arc or whatever it is has dragged on far longer than it ever needed to. Also, maybe it's just me, but at times I can barely decipher what is going on in the artwork. The panel-to-panel construction of a given page has really fallen apart, with what I would call Yasuhiro Nightow syndrome.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Personally I think the distinction between Seinen and Shounen (and Shoujo and Josei for that matter) are too vague oftentimes and the differentiation between the two would lead to bickering as to what category each entry should belong in. For example how many people do you think would classify Hoshi no Samidare correctly as Seinen? Even I sometimes forget and label it as Shounen. I think it's much simpler for everyone's sake if we treated each thread as Shounen/Seinen and Shoujo/Josei.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So many great expressions in that chapter, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I stopped a couple of months/chapters ago, but really I think the problem with Skip Beat boils down to the main love interest being by far the most uninteresting character. The story was at its best when it was about Kyoko trying to advance her career and her interactions with Shou, but it became bogged down with Ren's asinine mysterious backstory that is apparently The Key To Everything that I find it hard to really care anymore.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I could have predicted with near 100% accuracy what was going to happen in that chapter given how the last chapter (57) ended. It was just a matter of who would walk in on them.

That said, I'm not really that upset since despite being a clichéd sequence of events I feel like KnT handled it mostly well and that things are moving a good direction...maybe.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Now you see why so many of us have so much trouble watching the anime, no matter how good it is now with the pre-Volume 5 material. It's a giant, dark cloud that will forever loom over the story in all of its adaptations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zorak posted:

Well that's pretty creepy.
The manga had been stagnating for about 10 volumes by that point so the blow wasn't quite the sucker punch that was Usagi Drop''s sudden drop into insanity. Still pretty bad though. I'd like to think though that it hasn't tainted my enjoyment of the anime though, unlike Usagi Drop.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Normally I'd agree but Usagi Drop's ending is kind of...more than just "bad".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

I do have a question about a series though! Are Clannad and/or Kanon good enough to merit me watching them even though I really can't stand the character designs? I've got a pretty high tolerance for ~anime~ but, the faces in that really bother me, they look like god drat bugs or something.
I think so. It's less the character designs that will bother you honestly (just be glad this isn't the original Kanon anime or the pre-CLANNAD games we're talking about), but rather the direction, themes, and tropes that Key constantly go for in their stories. Some people will undoubtedly roll their eyes at them, or not care for the characters as much as Key is hoping for which would have a profound effect on the impact of the way the plots play out.

Anyway, Kanon 2006 is pretty good, but CLANNAD in particular I felt was exceptional. I would go as far as to say that it was one of the best anime romance stories of the 2000-2010 decade. After Story (the second season) really stands out, and in fact I feel the CLANNAD anime is overall one of the few cases where the anime adaptation surpasses the original visual novel.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually feel that Tomoya is a pretty well developed character as far as VN leads go, mostly because of After Story though. To the point where I find playing the VN to be weird now since you never see his face and he doesn't have Yuichi Nakamura voicing him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

That actually ties into some of what I didn't like though. I feel like the way each arc was presented was too disconnected from each other. It was like, solve one problem, then the next, then the next, rather than feeling like following someone’s actual life. Compare to Honey & Clover where all the different storylines are all intertwined and at various times some of the characters are doing great and others are having a terrible time, but it's all combined into one big fairly believable group of friends, family, lovers and rivals. Here once their "quest" is over with they pretty much vanish, even if they make token appearances here and there. For me it just seemed like it misses the point that your friends/clan/tribe are also very much a part of family, and even though Kyou, Sunohara and others do pop up they don't really impact the Tomoyo family life much. I guess it just feels like a missed opportunity to me.
You probably already know this, but this is of course because the original arcs in the visual novel are stand-alone and rarely do they occur in the same run through the game before you get to the credits (there are one or two cases where you obtain light orbs for multiple characters in a single route, but it's rare). Kotomi actually doesn't appear at all in any other route but her own, for example. As a result, the first season of CLANNAD suffers a little bit from having to force these mostly independent stories to fit one narrative and force characters who normally would not be present to be around during them. There are some important themes still present in these routes so I don't feel they should've been skipped over outright, but making them organically fit together would be quite difficult. This is why we get things like the "Another World" Tomoyo and Kyou OVAs, because they literally could not fit into a single timeline. But as they deal with "family" in a similar fashion to the others, thematically they are still supposed to be connected to the greater whole. And ultimately this is why I liked After Story so much, because it was able to focus on a single story for a lengthy period of time without extra interference like in the season 1 arcs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke is back with chapter 60. This is the only place I find it online. Mango Scans now appears to require registration to download.

As for the chapter itself, it feels like a lot of things are going to come to a head soon. Kent/Ayane and Chizuru/Ryu probably getting resolved before the big one, that is Kazehaya/Sawako's relationship stagnating.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's a rather sudden development for what I thought was going to be a simple flashback I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mura posted:

New Kimi ni Todoke
Kazehaya's actions at the end there are a bit strange...is it merely disappointment/frustration at not being more physically intimate with Sawako ever since their interrupted kiss? I thought much of it was just that he wants to spend more time alone with her, and maybe that is the case and he just doesn't feel like bringing it up. Hopefully he does though, since letting that fester can't be good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kodocha has a very special place in my heart. Extremely heartfelt, yet quite insane in a good way at times. It was one of the first series I got on VHS fansub. Unfortunately it never was finished by whichever group was doing it at the time, although you could (and I did) pony up for the HK bootlegs. It's too bad FUNi was so screwed with regard to their own releases (mostly due to the whole licensing fiasco with the opening song). I bought the discs they put out and would have gladly continued to do so for the second half had they finished. Some enterprising individual should re-fansub it all.

I actually prefer the anime in many ways, mostly because I just think it's a lot funnier. The manga's ending is superior, though. Mostly because it actually ends.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
KnT 66: I get the feeling this building towards Sawako doing something crazy to get him to open up, as it looks like the onus is on her to get poo poo done this time. Which might be a nice switch from how she needed others' help to open up and get friends at the start of the manga, and would be a nice addition to her character arc.

We definitely don't need to see a crying Sawako anymore than we already have at least :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I ended up falling behind 3-4 chapters on Hourou Musuko because it was dealing with some new minor character I didn't care about. Well having caught up again, it's getting really good! Good enough that I was dying for some more Takako Shimura stuff, so I finally caved in and read all of Aoi Hana, a story I had previously written off as being boring thanks to a dull first anime episode. Yeah, turns out it's pretty great too.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 25, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How is Skip Beat these days? I put it down "temporarily" because it had been focusing on Ren for a really long time. He might be the most boring shoujo love interest I have ever seen, so it was just unbearable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really? I was the opposite. I found the KnT anime artwork to be rather bland compared to the manga's. I think Shiina sometimes draws fingers a bit too long, but other than that it's a very aesthetically pleasing style to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I recently read through the available chapters of a manga called Yandere Kanojo. It's about a deliquent girl who falls in love with a normal guy, but has to hide their relationship keep her reputation intact. If that sounds like Onidere to you, that's because it's pretty much the same. Except for me personally, I dropped Onidere after a couple of chapters while I found this to be pretty endearing. It's not all dawwwwww but there are a lot of good moments.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Onidere seemed more focused on slapstick and seemed to spend pretty much no time at all on the relationship itself, which is why I ultimately dropped it. This however from the get-go put a lot of time and energy into the romance, to the point where the "hide it from everyone else" basically never actually turned into a relevant plot point or joke.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does the main character in Hiyokoi get better? I read about 15 chapters, and she's pretty insufferable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha, so I don't know how many people are reading Ah! My Goddess (I still am at least since I've been reading it for over 10 years), but the latest chapter just dropped this hysterical little nugget: Belldandy/Heaven have been supressing Keiichi's lust since the beginning, and that's why he hasn't progressed in the relationship :downs: Yeah, okay Fujishima.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's been way too long for me to remember when that was, but AMG's whole thing was that it pretty much has stayed the same, never getting better or worse. So I guess what I'm saying is that if there were some parts you liked, you will probably eventually see other parts you will like as well, and the same for anything you didn't like! I guess that comes with the territory when you have a romantic comedy serialized for 23 years.

To Fujishima's credit I suppose, the current arc has been relatively plot heavy and one of the longer ones in a great while. Maybe he's wrapping it up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Baron Snow posted:

Tired of angsty teens?
I present, Bonnouji!

Our main character Ozawa (age 26) has broken up with her boyfriend of many years, and ends up drunkenly stumbling to the apartment of Oyamada who lives in the same building as her. His apartment is full of strange crap his brother sends him. It's a cute story, and I like the fact that it's a story about adults that isn't some hentai nonsense.
This is really great! Things are moving at a good pace, I can only imagine what it will bring as time goes on. Hopefully it doesn't wind up being too short.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I foresee many awkward double dates amongst these characters in the future.

I like this couple, though :frogbon:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, it's a good place as any to take a break I suppose. Good job Bonnouji at being so easy going and chill about stuff that most other romance manga would get into a tizzy about.

12 months though? Is it a series that's not serialized?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tae posted:

Anyone checked out Spotted Flower?

It's by the same artist as Genshiken. The story is an otaku dealing with his wife's pregnancy.
This is just...awkward, in a really bad way. It's really starting to look like the mediocrity of Genshiken 2 was a portent of things to come.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, yes. This is a development I can get behind.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hourou Musuko 112

E: Eh, scratch that. It was probably just, uh, a "restroom visit." Still, looks like Anna doesn't have anything to worry about.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 23, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished AIR, a series I had only seen one or two episodes of years ago and had hated back then. It's still pretty bad, easily KyoAni's worst series. However, I did rather like the Air in Summer OVAs, which seemed like the point where they had figured out what worked at long last for their Key adaptions and would continue the trend for the series to follow.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Angel Beats is a show that has a lot individual moments that I really liked (I actually really liked the characters and style of humor, something that carried over to Persona 4 from the director), but the sum of its parts is pretty bad because it has some of the worst pacing issues I've ever seen. Supposedly Jun Maeda had storyboarded out something like 78 episodes' worth? At the very least, two cours would have gone a long way.

Hopefully the VN sees the light of day and fixes these issues.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Miijhal posted:

I'm actually kind of glad to hear that. One thing that's kind of constantly worried me about Wandering Son, especially after the anime adaptation, is that it would ultimately wind up taking the whole 'they're actually just confused' direct like just about every other series that even touches the issue pulls. I know it's kind of unfounded but it's always been a worry for me going into every series like this, and this is one of the few works that hasn't let me down yet.

...I honestly wish I knew Japanese well enough to send a fan letter to Takako Shimura.
It seems clear at least that while Nitori may identify herself as female, her orientation is still such that she is attracted to Anna. (E2: Really should use proper pronouns for Wandering Son :/).

I'm not sure where Shimura is going with Takatsuki, though.

I'm not sure if that necessarily assuages your concern, though.

E: vvv Very, very cool!

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 17, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I blinked and the KnT chapter was already over.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. Actually I somehow missed the previous chapter as well.

Page 44 is adorable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thinking about making a thread for Can't See, Can't Hear, But Love, because god drat is it good and the latest chapter is very powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure how many people here actually follow Ah! My Goddess, and even if you don't it's not like you're missing much continuity-wise, but I want to just say that (from the latest chapter) god the artwork will always be a sight for sore eyes.