Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

In short, I think too many mangakas are virgins :(.

Yeah, the vast majority of romance manga is clearly aimed at teenagers without any relationship experience to speak of. I think that the target audience is probably a bigger factor than the artists themselves being virgins/inexperienced, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Compendium posted:

It was not a payoff anyone expected or even wanted.

Honestly, it's even more depressing once you realize that a lot of readers probably did want it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lessail posted:

Oh hey, looks like there was an update to Uwagaki recently and it's still asking the type of questions I like. And somehow the faces remain pretty good!

At the end Ajio ends up falling in love with Kazuya. Just look at his eyes in the scene where Kazuya takes his shirt off at their part-time job. Love/lust at first sight.

The 4-coma with the plain-looking teacher were pretty funny. The book she's holding in the first 4-coma says something like "Simple introduction to bread-making."

edit: Also the faces of his mom/sisters after he tells them about the cicada thing. This series has some pretty great faces.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does anyone know if "confessions" are actually something that happens frequently/is normal in Japan? While I guess it happens sometimes in the US, usually people ask each other out and it's sort of implied that there's interest there. Most people don't call you over and say "I LIKE YOU."

edit: Haha, this has great faces. I'm not normally a fan of 4-koma comics, but this is pretty funny.

The last panel of this makes me think of :ironicat: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/199480/wakabayashi-toshiya%E2%80%99s-4-koma-collection_ch6_by_easy-going-scans/7

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 23, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blhue posted:

You've described 70% of shoujo right there.

Yeah, a lot of shoujo is clearly aimed at girls who are too young to have any real relationship experience, so it pushes this really distorted ideal where the guys behave in ways that, in real life, would indicate that they're stalkers or something (only it's supposed to be romantic for some reason). It's like the female version of harem manga.

edit: Actually, "the female version of harem manga" is a kind of bad comparison, since female harem manga actually exists. Most romance manga aimed at males is pretty bad about portraying relationships in an equally strange, unrealistic way, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah but that poo poo happens everywhere. Twilight is an obvious example. I mean this even happens in more adult stories. Rich, powerful, tall dark and tsundere men who are possessive and more than a little rapey.

The other common tropes being "shy/plain girl who wins the heart of the hot guy" and "supposedly strong female lead who constantly has to be rescued."

"Too young to have any real relationship experience" can also be 30; depends on the person!

You're more or less right (and it's certainly not something specific to shoujo/Japan), though I think that it does come in different degrees and that stuff as bad as Twilight or your average shoujo (which are basically cut from the same thread) are rarely enjoyed (at least openly) by older, well-adjusted people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

a kitten posted:

Plus if you like romance, yuri, and/or serious melodrama everyone should check out Shiroi Heya no Futari (The Couple in the White Room).
Those sparkles! :swoon:
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shiroi-heya-no-futari-r2837
It's one of the earlier yuri romance manga and is worth reading for that reason alone, it's also pretty good. That's the other reason to read it.

The whole "younger, less mature girl falls in love with a more mature, 'older sister' figure" thing apparently has its roots much earlier than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_S_(genre)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You should just do like the game Bravely Default and mentally add several years to everyone's age (though I guess this wouldn't work when one person is in school and the other is an adult).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

both guy and girl must give up on their futures and desires and goals because abortion is evil.

There's this unsettling theme I've seen in many manga/live-action dramas where people decide that getting an abortion would be wrong and choose to have babies as teenagers/young adults.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

10/10 I'd follow it as a josei series and I wanted to finally meet Mitty's super successful mother.

Anyone else this it was weird how Mitty ended up marrying Haru? IDK but I thought the % of HS students marrying who they dated back then is fairly low unless it was a small town? Yeah, yeah, I know it's a manga series

You see, in Japan life ends after high school. So if you haven't found the love of your life by the end of high school, you're doomed to either never marry, be the wife of a salary-man who is cheating on you, or be the person the salary-man is cheating with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nondevor posted:

Count me as someone who's still following! Haru x Kiyo is a fun read. The faces are great and the main characters are really earnest. :3:

As someone who generally doesn't like most shoujo, this is pretty good. Sort of reminds me of Lovely Complex in that it puts the characters/comedy above the "teenage girl wish fulfillment" that tends to be the modus operandi of most shoujo manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't really like the art style, but 7 Seeds has really grown on me. The cast of character is really interesting and it's pretty unique for a shoujo in terms of having a bunch of non-romance stuff going on (since unfortunately "nearly all shoujo/josei manga involves romance/relationships" is a bit of a truism in the same way as "nearly all shounen involves battles or harems" is).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Holy poo poo, the whole arc about team Summer A's origins in 7 Seeds is loving intense. This is by far the darkest, most violent shoujo/josei comic I've ever read.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Read some more 7 Seeds and jesus loving christ this survival shelter flashback thing with the ventriloquist is extremely depressing. They dealt with the whole killing off excess population issue in a really mature way; normally in fiction you'd have it portrayed as an objectively evil thing and have the protagonists rebel against it, but in this case Mark realizes that there really isn't any alternative and that the best thing he can do is to try and send the people away with smiles on their faces. The scenes where the baseball player is staying with the dying children were really moving.

7 Seeds vaguely reminds me of LOST for some reason, except with a much better plot. It seems like it would work really well adapted into a live action of some sort.

edit: I've been reading this for hours and hours today and it's easily one of the best manga I've ever read. I had trouble getting used to the art style and it took a while for the plot to really hit its stride (partly since there are so many characters), but 7 Seeds is seriously great. I can't think of many comics/books/shows/whatever that have done such a great job of introducing and developing such a large cast of characters.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 9, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tokimeki Tonight is a funny manga and anime from the 80's that is sort of like Ranma 1/2 with a female protagonist. I haven't read the manga but I'm enjoying the show.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Baron Snow posted:

Anyone who thought this sounded a bit familiar or interesting and wanted shoujo should try Last Game. Same sort of idea, but instead of rejection she's just better then him at everything so he vows to make her lose to him by having her fall in love with him so he can reject her. Of course he totally falls in love with her first, and she's the sort of shoujo protagonist who doesn't notice. The short takes place when they're in elementary school, but the actual manga is 10 years later in college.

This is a lot more believable if you just imagine that the girl has autism.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In Last Game the female protagonist literally does not even understand the concept of romantic love, so that you should probably count as some sort of mental illness.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's going to be awesome if at the very end of Last Game Yanagi is like "SIKE!" and dumps her.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

organism posted:

4. A level of blindness to love interest's attempts to hit on them that borders on psychosis and a dangerously low comprehension of body language and societal norms.

Yeah, in Last Game this is particularly extreme. There's even a scene where the secondary love interest confesses to the protagonist and has to spend several panels explaining that when he says "I like you" and "I want to be with you" that he's talking about romantic love, and even then it takes her several more panels to comprehend this (and after doing so she nearly has a nervous breakdown).

edit: They try to explain it away as "she never ever watched any movies or anything so she has no idea how relationships work", but she still would have encountered stuff like classmates talking and having to read books for school. Also it's not like humans without access to media have zero sex drive or something.

All this being said, I still like Last Game more than most shoujo mostly because I like the two male leads. Even though the main one is still rich, good-looking, and smart, he turns into a stressed out spaz that is pretty much the opposite of aloof pretty early into the series.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 17, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pastrymancy posted:

I have no problems with nerd characters, but these ones seldom changed at all during the story's 70+ chapters. It's really boring when your actions are pretty much limited to:

1. Freak out about normal people/apartment
2. Eat hot pot
3. Fangirl over the same set of things you've been fangirling over since chapter 1

I imagine that's a pretty accurate depiction of that particular type of person.

I really like Higashimura's art and Kakukaku Shikajika, but I'm not a big fan of Kuragehime's characters/plot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Whaaaaat

BOF was one of my favorite early manga series, though it would probably be sort of insufferable to read now thanks to the main love interest being the stereotypical shoujo abusive bad boyfriend.

Yeah I tried reading it and watching the live action drama adaptation* and both were honestly really terrible and pretty much a perfect example of the stereotype shoujo. Sort of like the shoujo equivalent of Naruto or something, except without the latter's interesting character designs.

One thing that really grated on me was that the manga would consistently say that things like money and status don't matter and that the protagonist doesn't care about such things, yet end up with all of her love interests still being the richest, most popular guys around. It's not the "love interests are rich/popular" part that annoys me - that's more or less a staple for the genre - but more the hypocrisy of claiming it doesn't matter and then showing us that it actually does.

*I thought that the live action drama of "Nobuta wo Produce" was far more entertaining/funny and had more likable characters. I don't think it's based on a manga though? I particularly liked Yamashita Tomohisa's character (I actually like most of his drama characters; he's one of the few idol actors that I actually like and was very popular back when I went through my "live action drama" phase).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 14, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

Nobuta wo produce was absolutely good.

Best angsty drama is still Yasashii Jikan, though. It's been like ten years since it aired, but it's still my favorite. Then again, I've watched all of like, two jdramas since 2008. Kdramas are just better.

No, the most angsty drama is definitely Strawberry on the Shortcake. It's soooo angsty. Like literally every single main character in it is full of angst (except for maybe the girl played by Kyoko Fukada, who seems to play the same infantile/innocent girl in everything she's in).

It also has a bunch of ABBA music in it for some reason.

edit: Seriously, look at this plot summary:

quote:

At some point, Manato Irie (Hideaki Takizawa) began to withdraw himself from the world. Even when picked on, it's not the real Irie, but an act. However one day he meets a strange girl - Yui Misawa (Kyoko Fukada). Yui, who finds the tedium of everyday life unbearable, teases Manato with her almost too upfront and honest manner. Alone and afraid Manato wavers but finds himself drawn to her. But his feelings for Yui are doomed to be unrequited, when he discovers that Yui is none other than his new step sister. While he struggles with his feelings for Yui, Manato begins to receive blue love letters in his shoe locker at school. He eventually discovers that they were left there by his next-door neighbour, Haruka (Uchiyama Rina). Meanwhile, Yui finds herself falling for senpai Saeki(Kubozuka Yosuke), who in turn is having an affair with his teacher, Asami-sensei (Ishida Yuriko).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 14, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coathat posted:

Jeeze had to come to page three to find thread.

Chapter two of the new boys over flowers is out. It's funny. http://www.vizmanga.com/boys-over-flowers-season-2

And horimiya got licensed.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm enjoying the new Boys of Flowers. So far I like the protagonist a little more than the one from the first Boys over Flowers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nondevor posted:

There's no shame in liking comedic shoujo manga, which this one is turning out to be. :colbert: I admit that the actual Correct 5 is dull, but I love the fact that the main guy is a loser home-shopper.

Yeah, I think the little twist about the main guy being really insecure is part of what's making me enjoy it more than the first one. It makes me more curious about how he'll act in the future and how their relationship will progress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bokura no Hentai is really bumming me out. Those poor kids have to deal with such heavy poo poo :ohdear:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the human characters, but isn't feeding stray cats/dogs kind of objectively a bad thing to do? Like, it seems nice on a cat to cat basis, but the net result is an unsustainable increase in the population of strays.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone else read "Happy-Go-Lucky Days" by Takako Shimura? While it's a little hit or miss, I enjoyed it; I kept feeling curious about what sort of character was going to be introduced in the next chapter. It felt sort of like a poor man's Inio Asano comic (I feel like Asano deals with heavier themes better), but still good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some shoujo tropes are absolutely hilarious. I was reading this Koi Suru Harinezumi and there's this scene where the protagonist gets lost in a shopping mall and her love interest is running around all panicked and goes "I WAS SO WORRIED" when he finds her. She's a high school student for gently caress's side (another character even mentions this).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Koi Inu is cute. :3: Art is a little rough but eh it's a webcomic. I've been reading it since it started getting posted but wanted to see where it was going a bit before mentioning it.

Ah, I thought the long-form webcomic was specifically a Korean thing. Are there many other Japanese comics that also have this style?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Relife is long-form as well. Definitely not as common as 4-panel.

This is a lot better than I expected it to be, given the premise. I was expecting the protagonist to be some huge loser who formed a harem upon returning to high school or something, but he's actually a pretty normal person with a legitimate trauma in his past that indirectly lead to his unemployment. It has lots of really nice "feel good" moment as he helps his classmates (who are accurately depicted as huge spazzes because that's what teenagers are like) fix their issues.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's funny/interesting how the world of Wizard's Soul is identical to our world except being good at this Magic the Gathering clone (that literally everyone plays) is treated like some mix of being a totally awesome mathematician/engineer/athelete and even influences your GPA in school.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I was looking through random shoujo series on Batoto and found the following description for one called "Get You <3":

quote:

For Anri, age 17, there can be only one--the popular singer SHIN. She'd risk her life to be transformed into a woman by him, and she'd sooner die than knowingly give her virginity to anyone else.

For some reason I find the phrase "She'd risk her life to be transformed into a woman by him" hilarious. I'm guessing the Japanese was maybe just "become a woman" and the translation was wonky, but it's still funny either way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Horimiya 55

I don't fully remember, but was that the guy who Hori beat the crap out of when he was bullying Miyamura?

Not referring to this specific chapter, but I find it interesting how in this and a lot of other shoujo comics there seems to be this trope where people being super jealous is treated as a positive/romantic thing somehow. Like, in this one chapter some dude lends his coat to Hori and then Miyamura takes it away and gives her his coat and I'm thinking "whoa this dude is acting super insecure" but she's like "this is so romantic." Or scenes where the guy is like "I OWN THIS WOMAN."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading more of Horimiya, and I liked it a lot more earlier in the series when Hori wasn't so randomly violent and tsundere all the time and Miyamura was more entertainingly awkward (though he's still alright). I can't pinpoint when exactly the change occurred, but it seems like now every other time there's a scene with Hori in it she's calling Miyamura an idiot or hitting him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone read "In the Clothes Named Fat"? It seems kind of interesting/depressing.

edit: Well poo poo, that was a downer.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 24, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

Yessss, Hayakawa Nojiko is the best. Yozora no Sumikko de is perfect imo.

I'm not a big fan of the "timid guy and really aggressive guy" pairing that seems to be in every single gay manga. Are there any with pairings that don't fit this mold?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason I find the protagonists of shoujo/josei manga far more appealing/attractive than the love interests in shounen/seinen (that is, aimed at males) romance manga (who generally don't have much of a personality).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just reading some random shoujo comic where the girl and her love interest are on a tv/movie set where some scene will occur that involves the guy taking out a condom from under the pillow to use. The love interest then crumples up the condom and says "If it was me, I'd never use something like this with the woman I love."

Refusing to use a condom - so romantic!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

New Yamada to Shounen. Every time a new chapter comes out I re-read at least part of this because it's so drat sweet :3:

I really hope this doesn't explode into depressing drama soon. I was constantly worried when he was visiting the guy's house that his parent would come back and walk in on them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Reminds me, there was another manga series featuring a librarian who had an affair with a psychiatrist (HS classmate) although I liked the art I find cheating is difficult to justify in my manga :v:

Well it depends; does the manga/character try to justify it, or is it just an element of the plot? Nothing wrong with the main character cheating as long as it's not somehow portrayed as a good thing.