Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I read it as 65W for one core at full boost and the others at whatever they can run at to stay within TDP limits, much like boosting works on Intel's CPUs.

If it is not 8c turbo TDP as I previously mentioned, the packaged cooler will thermally limit the chip which is not good. Maybe the 1700 65w TDP is at idle :laugh:

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That is normal. Even Intel's chips only run the boost clocks at peak for 1 or 2 cores for long periods of time.

Words mean things. Especially when talking about boost clocks, base clocks, and TDP's. And what about the rest of the post? Did what I said make sense or what? I don't think I was being harsh at all.

I missed a single word but still implied 1 core at load is basically idle for an 8 core chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
@kylebennett "Don't be a Pussy, PreOrder AMD Ryzen Today!"

Make that which you will

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Dante80 posted:

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/02/22/dont_be_pussy_preorder_amd_ryzen_today_starts_at_1et
Well, he did put that up as soon as the pre-orders started. And he did put that up with a link that gives him a commission so..XD

Good catch :)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

SourKraut posted:

What time is the embargo expected to drop?

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/836541044581888000

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By7_TCzoyL9oejlBV1R0WVdKMkU/view

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Post tldr while I'm reading these word for word go

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Looks like this performs as expected, a cheaper multithreaded platform. Beating a 7700k when OC at ST wasn't really in the cards unless it could get to similar clocks.

Don Lapre posted:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Call 1-800-273-8255

Post on /r/amd

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

redeyes posted:

I am most disappointed with their 'TDP' which is bullshit. Figured as much but AMD just plain lied about it from where I sit.

Platform power usage seems really good compared to Intel.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The problem is some workloads are very competitive and the ones that use AVX2 well :pwn:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

“Oxide games is incredibly excited with what we are seeing from the Ryzen CPU. Using our Nitrous game engine, we are working to scale our existing and future game title performance to take full advantage of Ryzen and its 8-core, 16-thread architecture, and the results thus far are impressive. These optimizations are not yet available for Ryzen benchmarking. However, expect updates soon to enhance the performance of games like Ashes of the Singularity on Ryzen CPUs, as well as our future game releases” ,said Brad Wardell, CEO Stardock and Oxide.

Shenanigans Optimizations are coming to frequently used benchmarks.

Reading through a bunch of articles, its such a mixed bag. Some sites are claiming memory issues, others that by changing from the supplied asus board gets you slightly better perf. It seems like they rushed this out the door.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
AMD TDP :raise:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

BurritoJustice posted:

When Ryzen loses it really loses. It gets beaten by 40FPS by a stock 7700K in The Witcher 3.

It's really not a "small gaming performance loss", it's a serious tradeoff and a question of priorities for potential buyers.

Paul MaudDib posted:

to be 100% fair: novigrad is literally the most single-threaded part of the entire game - and also memory-bound, so it's at maximum disadvantage from the poo poo-tier release BIOS, it's like benching fallout 4 in Boston

I dunno I'd say its a pretty serious issue when it is up against i5-6400 Processor 4C 6M Cache 2.7/3.3.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-and-1700-processor-review_191753
You hit the nail on the head on all your comments. I really wish the Windows drivers were ready before we were given the parts to review. Instead we got a statement 24 hours before launch from AMD saying that they'll be coming in 30 days if all goes well. Game optimizations will be hit or miss when they come, but they appear to be coming. That takes time though and we'll see what happens.

:lol:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/amd-ryzen-1800x-1700x-1700-test/3/#abschnitt_gesamtergebnis

Very in depth right here

e: 1700 hits 3.9 stable

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 2, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Rabid Snake posted:

How is VR benchmarking going to work? As someone who got a vive over the winter I'm interested in some VR benchmarks

Negative testing for pukes per session

FaustianQ posted:

How not? I'm seeing Ivy processors keeping up with it, and it can barely keep up with Haswell according to Stilt on Anandtech.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/amd-ryzen-1800x-1700x-1700-test/3/
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/amd-ryzen-1800x-1700x-1700-test/4/

It's not great but it's not bad

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

oh huh, the reddit AMA said that Ryzen does support ECC?

Supported not validated, dependent on mobo makers

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
amd gif right here

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

NIGARS posted:

This result in particular has been loving with me. It's just too bad to believe. I mean, on par with an FX-8320?

This video makes me think there was something wrong with that site's testing methodology or equipment. The results overall seem more consistent with what you'd expect, given the IPC/clock speed disadvantage, i.e. Ryzen is on average about 10-15% slower.

In fact, while Ryzen's gaming performance clearly isn't as fast as a 7700K, that video makes me question whether it's really going to be a serious tradeoff at all. If it's a small unnoticeable hit in gaming performance in exchange for brutally faster encoding/compiling performance, to me that's an easy decision.

It's the latter, a couple games have unexplained swings. You can see the tradeoffs below, be sure to interact with the charts to select/deselect your games/apps.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/amd-ryzen-1800x-1700x-1700-test/3/
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/amd-ryzen-1800x-1700x-1700-test/4/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
:airquote:AMD specific :airquote: being single rank dimms

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

I was curious so I took a look at some historical Steam HW survey data.

Feb 2009 - 15% quad core
May 2011 - 26% quad core
Feb 2013 - 43% quad core
Feb 2017 - 48% quad core

I'd put this down to Intel pushing dual cores in laptops. The dual core i7s are great marketing, using the desktop performance brand to push their mobility skus.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Laptops are a very big segment of shipments. Quad core would've grown faster if they pushed quadcores on mobile is what I'm getting at. Just look at the gpu skewing to Intel instead of discrete. We've tapered off at near 50% quadcore.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Truga posted:

From the GPU thread. This matters far more to me than raw fps. Just one benchmark tho, hopefully people do more and it's not just in 1 game.

That's just the effect of more (fast) cores in that specific game. This does show that we need more affordable 8 core cpus for gaming I agree. This is the 'smoothness' some reviewers were talking about.

Another example

With more cores

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Canada has basically no boards, very few were available at launch. You can walk in to any store to grab the CPU today. The best chance of building a box today is driving across the border to something like a Detroit Microcenter. Great launch :iamafag:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
My 'preorder' cpu ships March 8th, my 'preorder' motherboard ships March 13th :downs:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Lowen SoDium posted:

I might be wrong, but I thought Zen was made out of 4 core modules and the ones currently for sale were 2 of those modules.

I figured that the 6 core chips would be some combo of 2 modules with defective or disabled cores, the 4 cores would just be a single module, and the 2 cores would be defective or disable single modules.

This is what I also want to know. Will there be different combinations of cores that would change the skus performance ? 1+3, 2+2, 4+0?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

So wait, is there possibly some fuckery with Windows 10 itself limiting Ryzen overclocking? LMAO if true, jesus christ AMD please talk to at least goddamn Microsoft of all loving entities before release next time. We could literally see a 15-20% increase in performance from release to the end of the year and it's all because AMD YOLO'ed the release.

This optimism is unsettling

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Microcenter price drops: 1700x WOF: $349 compared to 1700: $329

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Klyith posted:

Though the year before that would have been the one time an AMD+ATI was the right call, an Athlon 64 plus ATI 9000 (because that was the year of the Dustbuster lol).

But the idea that all AMD is better because the CPU and GPU are somehow "optimized" to work with each other is dumb. Being a fan of any company, AMD intel or nvidia, is dumb. They're a corporation, they're not your friend. Anyone that needs validation that they made the "right choice" with their gear through fanboyism, probably should be buying less crap.

Yeah, like I'm on Ivy and waiting for the next set of Ryzens to come out before I decide what to do for my next desktop. Let the launch performance weirdness settle out, and see what the $200-250 competition looks like.

Just lol if anyone here had a 5800 ultra instead of a 9800 pro.

Arzachel posted:

Zen isn't literally CPU Jesus.

When Intel is selling the same 4c8t setup nearly 10 years after the q6600, yes it is. It hit good enough ST IPC and is priced aggressively against the intel stack. It should push prices down and potentially force Intel to offer similar products at lower prices. Competition is CPU Jesus.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

Nothing, it's better than widescreen for virtually everything*.

*except media consumption

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

http://valid.x86.fr/n3h37k :eng101:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Gray Matter posted:

Bought a new-in-opened-box Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 on eBay this week to prop up this currently stock FX-8350 another couple years after this underwhelming Ryzen showing

Roast me

Did you expect their top chips to clock higher? The 1700 is a steal if you can hit 3.8+ right now, before they fix the boards and the have an actual windows driver.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
35w ravenridge will be the the test for mobile

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

Having 40 tabs sitting mostly idle is mainly using memory, not CPU

What if every one of those tabs were js heavy garbage like tmz, makes you think

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Next week motherboard volume hits

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
So is AMD going to double down on the split L3 fabbed with the cores in Zen+ or will they move to a unified L3

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
That sort of gain is probably an outlier. I'm pretty optimistic about gains with a driver and patch but that's a bit too finewine for me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
My 1700 posted @ 3.9 with 1.2v, so there is hope yet for big things in the coming days.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

dont be mean to me posted:

Why is the 1600 a 95W part and the 1700 65W? 'lol AMD TDPs' notwithstanding.

The voltage to break 3.7 stable is pretty large. I go from 3.7 @ 1.1875 vs 3.8 @1.25

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wqHz5J4S7tHM5CJKB1zyh8qI52pTEywKws9PcVro2cc/edit

http://valid.x86.fr/1410hw

http://valid.x86.fr/nggw3f

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 16, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
They need to fix memory compatibility with their controller. Can they patch this with microcode or a bios update? As is it will create a problem when the more numerous R5 users can't get over 2400 with their 3000+ dual rank kits they already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Don Lapre posted:

AMD has to individually test each kit and provide motherboard companies with the files to implement and then the motherboard companies have to update the bios.

Per chipset?

• Locked thread