Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

b b b but i thought it was gonna make intel have to basically give the 7700k away because it was going to be such a gaming monster
People who believed this for more than a second are loving retarded :allears:

SMT not working properly at all is a surprise :cripes: production chipsets may be behind and BIOS with working SMT awaiting validation if this is theoretically a fixable thing, otherwise we're going to have early A64/Conroe errata comedy for days if not weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Call 1-800-273-8255

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Looks like this performs as expected, a cheaper multithreaded platform. Beating a 7700k when OC at ST wasn't really in the cards unless it could get to similar clocks.

Don Lapre posted:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Call 1-800-273-8255

Post on /r/amd

eames
May 9, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

It's close to what could have been expected, except I was surprised to see how badly it could perform with SMT (THREADRIPPER) enabled at times in the Gamers' Nexus review.

I think AMD have made a mistake by releasing only an 8-core launch line-up, because 8-core is still basically kind of niche. A solid 4 and 6 core offering with clocks a bit over 4GHz would have made more sense for the mainstream gaming market. But maybe they can't push it any more, it certainly seems that way. GloFlo strikes again?

Pretty much. Zen predominately seems to be a high IPC/low frequency design and it seems like they relied on the process to get the frequency up. Because relying on GloFo has worked so well in the past. :v:

A quadcore Zen @ 5.0 Ghz would have been very impressive but that was clearly not going to happen at lauch, so they launched it with twice the cores to hide the fact that it really isn't all that competitive compared to KL.

I'm surprised that $AMD is holding up so well. I kind of expected /r/ayymd to panic sell. AMD is still in a decent position with Zen+, APUs and Naples. Not sure about mobile.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

Pretty much. Zen predominately seems to be a high IPC/low frequency design and it seems like they relied on the process to get the frequency up. Because relying on GloFo has worked so well in the past. :v:
They did get their poo poo together on Polaris, but as late as 4 months later and it's a question of how much of that was the AMD driver team vs. actually getting anything good from GF.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

Looks like this performs as expected, a cheaper multithreaded platform. Beating a 7700k when OC at ST wasn't really in the cards unless it could get to similar clocks.

Post on /r/amd

someone did but it's already taken down lol

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am most disappointed with their 'TDP' which is bullshit. Figured as much but AMD just plain lied about it from where I sit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Paul MaudDib posted:

someone did but it's already taken down lol

Naw my thread is still there.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

redeyes posted:

I am most disappointed with their 'TDP' which is bullshit. Figured as much but AMD just plain lied about it from where I sit.

Platform power usage seems really good compared to Intel.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

redeyes posted:

Even with the glofo power climb comedy cramps, it's pretty obvious that the stock/standard turbo clock TDPs are at least 50% higher than stated for all three of the SKUs (would it have killed them to label the TDPs as 140/140/95?). I look forward to the piles of errata fixed in new steppings if bios updates can't handle this (and from socket 754, they might not :cb:)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

Platform power usage seems really good compared to Intel.

Compared to an Intel 4C processor? Sure, that's the jam of highly-parallel processors.

Compared to a 5820K that trashes it in actual performance? nah

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 2, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The problem is some workloads are very competitive and the ones that use AVX2 well :pwn:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

The problem is some workloads are very competitive and the ones that use AVX2 well :pwn:

so is that the performance of the benchmark that you gave the power usage for?

because yes, AES-NI and AVX are very good, no shocker there

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Compared to an Intel 4C processor? Sure, that's the jam of highly-parallel processors.

Could you point out on the doll where AMD bad touched you? I get that you've always had a hate on for them but Ryzen seems to have driven you into a frenzy.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
So like, they're still delivering okay gaming benchmarks and have very good multi thread performance. Even if I turn off SMT I'll have 8 threads to work with? Am I :hurr: stupid for not being surprised or disappointed? I think it'll be an okay offering. Is that foolish? I am interested in video recording and gaming at the same time, so I being the best single thread performance isn't necessarily what I'm interested in.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZobarStyl posted:

Could you point out on the doll where AMD bad touched you? I get that you've always had a hate on for them but Ryzen seems to have driven you into a frenzy.

well for me the k6-2 400, the thunderbird 700, the athlon XP 1800+, the athlon 64 3200+, the athlon 64 X2 3800+, and the phenom II x4 were all good touch, but the bulldozer was bad-touch, officer

I mean, 5 years of bad-touch is really all it takes, though

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
do I really have to point out bulldozer on the doll for you? because I don't think I'm the only person here with some bad memories of bulldozer, this is just needlessly triggering

eames
May 9, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

So like, they're still delivering okay gaming benchmarks and have very good multi thread performance. Even if I turn off SMT I'll have 8 threads to work with? Am I :hurr: stupid for not being surprised or disappointed? I think it'll be an okay offering. Is that foolish? I am interested in video recording and gaming at the same time, so I being the best single thread performance isn't necessarily what I'm interested in.

Ryzen is an excellent effort and great value. It's just that the very vocal majority of hardware enthusiast online care about gaming performance. If you are one of the people that have use for a lot of cores/threads then it's complete game changer compared to Intel's offerings.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

Word up. I'm not terribly interested in having separate desktops for work and gaming, so I'm willing to take a hit in gaming performance for a much more affordable multi-threaded workstation that I play the occasional game on during the weekend.

3peat
May 6, 2010

those are some really mixed bag reviews tho the gaming fart isn't that bad since in most situations you'll still be GPU limited

more importantly, im rofling at kyle bennett becoming an AMD apologist

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

eames posted:

Ryzen is an excellent effort and great value. It's just that the very vocal majority of hardware enthusiast online care about gaming performance. If you are one of the people that have use for a lot of cores/threads then it's complete game changer compared to Intel's offerings.

Unless you happen to also need large amounts of memory or any amount of ECC memory.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

I don't know about the workstation market, since no one builds the machines themselves it'll be very much up to Lenovo/HP types to figure this one out for us.

Also, remember the last time AMD had worldbeatingly good chips? Remember how they did not end up in professional server/workstation type kit regardless? Intel has that poo poo on lock.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

“Oxide games is incredibly excited with what we are seeing from the Ryzen CPU. Using our Nitrous game engine, we are working to scale our existing and future game title performance to take full advantage of Ryzen and its 8-core, 16-thread architecture, and the results thus far are impressive. These optimizations are not yet available for Ryzen benchmarking. However, expect updates soon to enhance the performance of games like Ashes of the Singularity on Ryzen CPUs, as well as our future game releases” ,said Brad Wardell, CEO Stardock and Oxide.

Shenanigans Optimizations are coming to frequently used benchmarks.

Reading through a bunch of articles, its such a mixed bag. Some sites are claiming memory issues, others that by changing from the supplied asus board gets you slightly better perf. It seems like they rushed this out the door.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Who else finds Dr. Lisa Su incredibly attractive?

I'd never paid much attention to her except for the Ryzen keynote, and HOLY MOLY, is she a babe or what? I've always had a thing for older women, and boy... she's got the whole package. Smart as hell too... I'd love to take her out for dinner and talk about the world! Haha.
What do you guys think?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lately I've been playing Fallout 4 on my 3570k. I'm glad it is still competitive with AMD's current high-end consumer chip.

Don Lapre posted:

Who else finds Dr. Lisa Su incredibly attractive?

gently caress off.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 2, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZobarStyl posted:

if you insist - the corporation in question was molesting my perfromance from approximately 2011 to 2016

but everyone knows the lawyers will triumph today, regardless of justice

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

if you insist - the corporation in question was molesting my perfromance from approximately 2011 to 2016

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: the corporation in question was molesting my perfromance

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
AMD TDP :raise:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tokamak posted:

gently caress off.

dunno though, i'm not gonna lie, i'm into jen-hsun's jackets, for a nerd he dresses OK

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

When Ryzen loses it really loses. It gets beaten by 40FPS by a stock 7700K in The Witcher 3.

It's really not a "small gaming performance loss", it's a serious tradeoff and a question of priorities for potential buyers.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Boiled Water posted:

Unless you happen to also need large amounts of memory or any amount of ECC memory.
The server stuff is for large amounts of ECC RAM for Intel or AMD.

If you just want some ECC some of the AMD mobo's will support it. Asrock lists support for it in some of their AM4 mobo manuals at least so its unofficial but its there at least.

BurritoJustice posted:

It's really not a "small gaming performance loss", it's a serious tradeoff and a question of priorities for potential buyers.
In most of the games it is going by other in game benches. The basic CPU looks pretty solid in general they just probably need to tune it some and you'll see performance level out.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 2, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BurritoJustice posted:

When Ryzen loses it really loses. It gets beaten by 40FPS by a stock 7700K in The Witcher 3.

to be 100% fair: novigrad is literally the most single-threaded part of the entire game - and also memory-bound, so it's at maximum disadvantage from the poo poo-tier release BIOS, it's like benching fallout 4 in Boston

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

Which benchmarks are the 5820K trashing it? I saw in one OpenGL where it appeared to, but didn't see anywhere else.

Toalpaz posted:

It's where I think most expected it typically to be. AMD's marketing department isn't very good though so they over promised and now people who maybe started to actually believe are now vastly disappointed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SourKraut posted:

Which benchmarks are the 5820K trashing it? I saw in one OpenGL where it appeared to, but didn't see anywhere else.

For reference: you can pick any 5820K and 6800K benchmarks and interchange them. They overclock to the same point. Actually the 5820K usualy beats the 6800K after overclock (Broadwell-E sucks).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

For reference: you can pick any 5820K and 6800K benchmarks and interchange them. They overclock to the same point. Actually the 5820K usualy beats the 6800K after overclock (Broadwell-E sucks).

Ah ok, that makes sense then, thanks!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

From what I can see, it's about exactly what we expected. Finally they are On Par, but far from the full lead except in massively multithreaded workloads. Outside of that, the Voltage being for the package and then having an on die controller makes sense, So that when you see the bios fueling it with 1.4vcore it's internally only pushing 1.1-1.2 which isn't near as bad. So those OC screenshots also showing it running at 1.8-1.9vCore are more like 1.5-1.6vCore which is more on par with what you see people shove through their Intel chips when they are Suicide running benchmarks.

I feel that a chunk of performance is probably still left on the table, in the form of GloFo improving a little in 6 months, a number of Bios Updates, and even a Windows Update that might help the ThreadRipper rip more efficiently.

Is it the Savior that AMD needed? Maybe not yet, but it could be the prophets ahead of the it.

Still no real draw to replace my old trusty 3930K but to see that sort of rendering time for the encoding apps, might be worth making a cheap Rysen Plex/NAS server down the line.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

feedmegin posted:

Also, remember the last time AMD had worldbeatingly good chips? Remember how they did not end up in professional server/workstation type kit regardless? Intel has that poo poo on lock.

At one point they had something like 20% of the server market (looong time ago now) so they were making some in roads there. It just takes a long time to happen. As a few other posters have noted generally about 2-3yr. Intel seems to be slow at updating their server stuff so Zen will actually have a decent shot at getting some lucrative server market share for AMD even with Purley coming.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

to be 100% fair: novigrad is literally the most single-threaded part of the entire game - and also memory-bound, so it's at maximum disadvantage from the poo poo-tier release BIOS, it's like benching fallout 4 in Boston

That might well be true, but I am completely puzzled why it's sitting just above the 8350 results. It is worse in single threaded, multithreaded, and memory performance so I can't imagine how it would be equivalent.

And it is correct that many other games the detriment is smaller. I am biased by the fact that I play a lot of games that are memory and single threaded performance bound like bethesda games and the witcher so it is something that I weigh heavily, so I do agree that my statement earlier was a bit too broad.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

For me cases like that are absolutely what I want to see. Fallout 4 runs fine on my old 2500k except in downtown Boston. If I was wanting an upgrade it'd be to make the worst performing part of the game do better than to increase my already high fps in other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

BurritoJustice posted:

Paul MaudDib posted:

I dunno I'd say its a pretty serious issue when it is up against i5-6400 Processor 4C 6M Cache 2.7/3.3.

• Locked thread