Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Arsten posted:

Honestly, I'm still with AMD because I can pick up 85-90% of the ability for around 50% of the price. I can match if I spend 80% of the price of the equivalent Intel processor.

This, it's pretty hard to beat AMD for value when rolling your own desktop. That and I've been happily using AMD processors since the K-6 chips, so there's the inertia factor as well.

Hell I've gotten a shitload of use out of my current system, since I bought an Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Asus M2N-E motherboard, and DDR2 ram in 2005 and just recently upgraded the chip to an Athlon II X4 640 on the same motherboard.

Sounds like it might be time to retire the M2N-E to media center duties in the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Some people want the very best and most powerful available, and that's cool because those high dollar sales help drive processor development.

I'm on a tight budget when it comes to computer expenditures and I find the performance to price ratio more favorable with AMD based systems.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
An SSD for the OS drive is going to make a much more user perceivable difference in performance than the jump from an AMD chip to an Intel one.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Group hugs and bulldozer news ITT.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

rscott posted:

Basically every AMD chipset up until the nForce 2 kind of sucked in its own way. Most of VIA's chipsets had lovely memory controller peformance, and most SiS stuff was terrifically unstable.

This. I think I went through three motherboards during the life of my 1.3 Ghz Thunderbird, 2 VIAs and a SiS. The nforce2 board I got with my Athlon XP was a revelation. Yeah the nForce chipsets had their own issues but they were largely minor compared to the other available offerings.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
nForce2 was a bit long in the tooth at that point, but a lot of things never got proper Vista support due to Vista being so reviled. My current board is a ~6 year old nForce570 and runs Windows 7 just fine.

Oh god chipset fans, ech. Mine has this sweet passive heatpipe cooler that puts the radiator in the path of the rear case exhaust fan.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/mainboard/a7n8x.htm

This was the Athlon XP board to have, and it was great. I still have it in my htpc but it's defunct because I dropped my monstrous Zalman heatsink on the chip and cracked the core.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

frumpsnake posted:

Please. The A7N8X Deluxe version was the board to have.

Yeah, I had the not-deluxe version because it was the one I could afford at the time.

Still excellent though. :smug:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Peanutmonger posted:

I can't even recall the model of my video card these days, but I definitely remember loving my Epox 8RDA+. Those were the days, running my 1700+ thoroughbred at 2400+ at 35-40C with the stock cooler.

In fact, I think it's still in my closet...

poo poo, I'd totally forgotten I had one of the 8RDA* series boards before the Asus. I'm not sure exactly which one but I think it died when the horrible little chipset fan failed and my case at the time had all the cooling properties of a toaster oven.

It was a good board but my cheap piece of poo poo case and inadequate cooling broiled it to death.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 9, 2011

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'm trying to decide if I want to get a new mb and DDR3 ram next week and use my current processor until Bulldozer comes out or if I should wait and get the whole shebang after summer/early fall.

Probably get the Asus M4A89GTD PRO if I do it now, most of my PC gaming is emulation so I can drop the loud as gently caress GeForce 7950GT from my current system and use the onboard graphics until I feel the need to add a discrete video card. Remove a loud fan and a major source of heat would be so, so nice...

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Nonpython posted:

Get something from this list, it will be AM3+ compatible with a BIOS update.

<snip>

Added info to OP.

The M4A89GTD* boards are also bios upgradable, Asus stated all their 890FX and 890GX boards will handle AM3+.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Mo_Steel posted:

To be perfectly sure I comprehend the OP correctly (because it's backwards from the previous jump), I'm using a Socket AM2+ motherboard right now with a Socket AM3 CPU. When Bulldozer drops, I can buy a Socket AM3+ motherboard and drop the Socket AM3 CPU right over?

So basically Socket AM2+ motherboards were forwards compatible (with AM3 CPUs) and Socket AM3+ motherboards will be backwards compatible (with AM3 CPUs)? I've been considering a system upgrade but if Bulldozer is out in a few months I'll stick to upgrading just my graphics card if I've got the above worked out properly.

Some AM3 boards will be bios upgradeable to take an AM3+ chip, mostly 890FX/890GX chipset boards.

All AM3+ boards will take an AM3 chip.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 10, 2011

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Ooh, I hope that means a Zacate price drop is in the works.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I just want a marked down zacate mitx board for a low power sd video/emulation box I don't need to wedge a discrete graphics card into.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Since the launch is so close I'm gonna wait and see what the AM3+ board selection is like.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The reviews of the passively cooled Asus mATX board I read weren't too flattering either.

Someone needs to bring out an aftermarket cooler for these. I don't think the mounting holes are standardize between boards though.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'm kinda :swoon: over the 8110.

Frugality may win out, but i still want it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

freeforumuser posted:

The cat is out of the bag now, with a legit Romanian hardware review site doing a FX-8150 preview:

http://lab501.ro/procesoare-chipseturi/amd-fx-8150-bulldozer-preview/14

tl;dr version: Loses heavily in everything to 2600K, except Handbrake it comes within 1% of 2600K. BD isn't going to find itself in the SH/SC recommendation thread anytime soon.

Oh man that is a complete slaughter, what a disappointment.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Seems like for every bench where BD performs adequately there's 2 or 3 where it's barely competing with a Phenom. :negative:

Even if it was roughly on par with Sandy Bridge I'd have a hard time picking BD due to that monster power consumption, as it stands right now it'd be no contest. That's not an easy thing to say either, as I'm a long time AMD fanboy. Haven't built an intel system since the Pentium II days.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Dradien posted:

I have a AM2+ board and 4 gigs of DDR2...I was going to go BD with my next build, but I think the cheaper option is to just drop a Thuban in here for now...

Since the only game I plan on playing takes advantage of as many cores as possible, it seems sensible (BF3)

If your mb supports it, it's not a bad way to get some more time out of an aging build.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

ravis posted:

So the only question that remains is will someone who buys a desktop computer without a discrete gpu care about gpu performance enough to upgrade ram to faster speeds?

Might be good for an HTPC setup as it eliminates a major source of heat in the small case. That's not a very large market though.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

FISHMANPET posted:

I've been telling my coworker to get an Athlon X4 for his home server, because he's running a handful of intensive single core programs (sabnzbd, minecraft server), is AMD still a good idea for this use case, or have the i3s so surpassed them that even at a dual core it still kicks rear end?

If he's already got an AM2+ or AM3 set up, an Athlon II X4 may be a very cheap performance boost for under $100.

If he wants to go for new mb/ram/cpu then there's really no question, the Intel offering is better right now.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Alereon posted:

It's important to keep in mind that AMD will still be producing APUs for desktops, even while they refocus on mobile. The promise of Sandy Bridge's graphics was never really fulfiled, because Intel can't write a graphics driver to save its life. Until that changes AMD has a compelling opportunity to knock out Intel in the low-end and mid-range markets, they just can't offer anything competitive the i5/i7 series on the desktop.

This. While I would love to see AMD come back with a great upper end desktop CPU that's not realistic right now. From what I can see their new roadmap is exactly what they need to be doing, pulling back from the somewhat disastrous Bulldozer release and focusing on expanding market share in their strong areas: APUs and low power chips and their GPUs.

I hold out hope that they'll return to the desktop CPU market at some point, but I don't want to see the company kill itself trying.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Riso posted:

Let me be the first to admit to still use an AMD Athlon II x4 640.

MeramJert posted:

Me too and I don't see much of a reason to upgrade at the moment. If I did upgrade though, I'd pretty much have to go Intel for the first time in over 10 years.

Me three and likewise. I find since I don't do much PC gaming anymore I don't feel that much pressure to upgrade.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
drat, wonder how much it's gonna cost.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The Athlons/Phenoms were still reasonable choices when the Core chips were out. It wasn't until Intel's Sandy Bridge displayed a massive leap forward in efficiency while AMD's Bulldozer just kinda fell on its face that the gap became so huge that it's really hard to recommend an AMD based build.

It's pretty much the reverse of the Pentium 4/Athlon XP era.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Yeah, there was definitely a performance gap in that era but it wasn't so bad that it was insane. AMD systems could still be a solid choice especially if you were working on a tight budget. You might choose a less expensive AMD chip + mobo to have more of your budget available for a beefier video card, and as long as you were going with a mid-to-upper-mid range processor you'd get quite reasonable performance.

The gap is so wide between their current offerings that it's basically insurmountable, especially when heat and efficiency are factored in.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I had an Asus A7N8X series nforce2 board and I could recommend that one, if the caps are good.

The Epox 8RDA series it replaced was a piece of poo poo that gave me endless trouble.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Shaocaholica posted:

Seriously though, does anyone have a dust riddled Nforce2 system I could have for a song?

I might, I think I have most of a socket A system I was using as a media box for a while in the basement. I'll have to double check what's actually in it.

Edit: Yup, it's an A7N8X-E, it worked last time I used it, and it doesn't have bad cap smell or anything visibly leaking/bulging. I'm not sure what processor is installed, and there's not currently any RAM in it but I might have some random DDR dimms lying around. There's an AGP video card installed too. PM me if you're interested.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 9, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Socket A Sempron 2600. Replaced my trusty XP 2700+ after I slipped and dropped my huge Zalman 7000 on it and cracked the core. I had the aluminum/copper version that weighed a mere 1 pound compared to the all copper version's nearly 2 pounds, but that was enough to crack a corner right off the exposed core. :(

God I'm glad modern coolers are so much less obnoxious to install, even if I don't really like the locking pins system Intel uses it beats trying to keep the Zalman support bits in place while screwing them in, nobody does exposed cores anymore so it's less scary to be placing the HSF. It did run very cool and quiet for a long time, but heat pipe tower designs are SO much better it's just ludicrous. Also modern designs allow for replacing the fan easily, the 92 mm fan in the Zalman eventually started buzzing (this was after probably a good 5 years of use) and there wasn't much I could do about it.

Didn't have money to replace it really, I'm pretty sure I got that Sempron for free because my mom had a tray of them and gave me one.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
On the other hand you can't really get away with passively cooling video cards anymore. My Radeon 9600 was passively cooled, as is the FX5500 in that Socket A system.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Angry Fish posted:

:colbert:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102950

Sapphire 6670 I had installed for "Dual Graphics" "performance" on my aging Llano build. I chucked it last December for a 280X and now suffer from a serious CPU bottleneck on Witcher 3.

edit:

Jfc, that thing is expensive for a radiator. :stare:

Dang that's huge! My 9600 just had a little dinky heatsink right over the GPU and that was it. I played a shitload of games on it too.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
As far as I ever knew you needed paired dimms for dual channel at the time. the 1+2 = 3 thing is new to me.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Whatever it is, make sure it has good airflow. I don't really recommend vintage cases because they have such lovely air paths. (Also they're ugly and heavy)

The Corsair 100R is pretty plain looking, don't know if the USB 3 front ports would work with a regular USB header. And it has a window so you can look at the ugly baby poo poo brown motherboard :v:

This is similarly simple looking while having modern amenities and some nice big, quiet fans.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The board that's gonna be used has two sata ports, so IDE drives aren't strictly neccessary.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Shaocaholica posted:

Those boards can't boot from USB so I'm pretty much forced to use an IDE optical drive.

It should boot from a SATA optical drive, I had one in it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Shaocaholica posted:

Haha, that's neat. I always thought that optical booting or general usage wasn't supported on sata add-in cards which is essentially what that board has.

I am fairly sure it worked, I had to have my optical drive in the lowest drive bay so the cable could reach because the ports are at the very bottom of the board, but it was one SATA optical drive and one HDD for several years.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Ah, fudge bits! Removed the board and found several caps leaked that I didn't see before. Sorry man :(

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
They could just purchase a controlling share and prop up it's husk to keep the agreement.

Maybe? Seems like AMD got a raw deal in that agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

KingEup posted:

Well where is the chestnut above getting is evidence for the i3 being faster?

Currently Intel's single threaded performance is significantly better than AMD's. Same for power consumption, comparable Intel chips run much cooler than their AMD equivalents.

They had the double misfortune of pursuing an architecture that's just not very good at a time when Intel made a huge jump in efficiency. It's kinda the opposite of the Athlon XP/Pentium 4 era.

That said an A series sounds fine for your use case, I'd only worry about heat in that tiny case (95w part).

• Locked thread