Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eames
May 9, 2009

hifi posted:

This is bullshit, the 9590 didn't even require a $100 cooler and it was a 220W part. On top of that we've already seen the OEM HSFs and the biggest one is still modestly sized compared to the 3rd party offerings. Amazon probably has a thousand dollar PSU to sell you too.

The top OEM cooler is rated for 140W TDP and the guys with obvious insider knowledge say that Ryzen around 4 GHz hits 90C on air.
Something does not add up there.

gamersnexus posted:

China-based motherboard manufacturer Maxsun plays an important role in our largely US-driven coverage: The exposure of AMD’s cooling solutions, through branding that states “Support AMD S3.0 Radiator.” From this, we can postulate that AMD’s planning at least one CLC solution for its upcoming Ryzen CPUs, likely alongside a few other stock cooling solutions. We’ll explore that more in a post soon.

"Black Bundle" sounds pretty OEM to me, not like something that Amazon came up with.
I want AMD to beat Intel's lazy rear as much as any other CPU consumer but it seems likely to me that the 1800X is a highly binned, factory overclocked and very cooling sensitive "Black Edition" SKU with little additional OC headroom. Not that that's a bad thing.

On the bright side I recall launch RX480s throttling at more than 150W with stock frequencies. Fast forward a few months and suddenly youtubers reviewed factory overclocked cards that never went above 100W during Firestrike. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Klyith posted:

if we're wildly speculating here, their slowdown in performance improvements could be them keeping stuff in their back pocket that they just haven't bothered with.

... or perhaps they simply didn't expect AMD to become competitive again.

eames
May 9, 2009

Multiple sources have stated that the CPU availability should be plentiful at launch but decent motherboards will be hard to come by. Manufacturers apparently barely had time to finish the designs and did everything to get them out the door with BIOSes lacking optimizations and features, etc.
Guess we'll find out soon enough!

I fully agree that there's a good chance that later steppings will have significantly more OC headroom but 3.9/4.1 seems realistic and good enough for the top models at this point.

eames
May 9, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Will the chipsets still be shite

I don't think it matters much anymore, most of the stuff is in the CPU, it's almost an SOC.

gamersnexus posted:

As printed in our motherboard article yesterday, most of the I/O is now handled on the CPUs themselves, making for more of an SOC approach rather than relying on a PCH or chipset for high-speed IO. This means that the CPU now carries all the relevant lanes for USB, SATA, NVMe, and PCIe general purpose use, with the chipset offering a few extra lanes and IO devices here and there.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2763-amd-chipset-comparison-x370-b350-a320

eames fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 22, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Auron posted:

AMD doing something good sounds too good to be true. I'll wait until there's proper reviews/benchmarks/real world tests out there.

I expect these to run way hotter than many expect, particularly with XFR and the resulting absence of OC headroom. That's the one missing aspect that never got mentioned in any of the slides or planted leaks, not once.
No temps, no details beyond unspecified TDP numbers (possibly at base not including XFR, let alone on all cores), no OC results, nothing.

GloFo's gonna GloFo.

eames
May 9, 2009

Core voltage on LN2 :stonklol:

eames
May 9, 2009

say what you want, AMD knows their target audience. :allears:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames
May 9, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

"Suicide bench" also accurately describes what I'm looking for when I hear someone doing anything at all with a new computer and Windows XP in 2017, jesus christ

I watched this youtube video of a :siren:german professional hardcore overclocker:siren: demoing a 7700K @ 7Ghz for Asus at CES and he sent his friend to buy a PS/2 keyboard/mouse because "Windows XP clocks higher but doesn't support the Z270 USB controllers".
Seconds later the video cut to his demo system running Windows 10, presumably because no physical shop carries a PS/2 kb+m in 2017. :v:

eames
May 9, 2009

oooh juicy

reddit posted:

AIDA64, HWiNFO and CPU-Z developers not getting Ryzen samples - Ryzen potentially has issues with L2/L3 cache and memory latency

A developer of aida64 confirmed their team and the other 2 mentioned program's devs are not getting any of the Ryzen review samples that reviewers are getting today and tomorrow.
He's also said in previous post that AMD reached out to them because AIDA64 shows "wrong" results in L2 and L3 cache and memory latency tests, not favoring Ryzen compared to Skylake and Broadwell-E. Without testing they can't seem to find the cause, as the tests have been reliable for other CPUs, therefore Ryzen seems to have a higher latency in these areas leading to a smaller improvement from Bulldozer than expected. This could be caused by a bug, bottleneck, architectural design,
Read that as you will, but AMD seems reluctant to get 100% accurate benchmarks in people's hands, and them just handing out review samples only leaving a few days for reviewers to get their assertion is a bit iffy.

source with links

TLDR is that L2 and L3 cache latency seems higher than it should be but the AIDA dev doesn't have a sample so he cant tell if it's a software bug, cpu bug, cpu bottleneck or architectural issue. AMD complained about low scores but wouldn't send him a sample. Trying to bench AIDA64 with Ryzen will pop up a warning for the reviewer to ignore the score because "the benchmarks are not properly optimized for the current CPU."

Smells like the sort of thing you'd want an NDA for if this is all true.

the whole translated post history by an AIDA64 dev can be read here:

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

eames fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 22, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Judging from the various leaked benchmarks they've exceeded my expectations but all in all a 7600K around 5 Ghz would still be the best value desktop CPU for me (mostly using it for simple casual :pcgaming:).
That's assuming the smaller, lower TDP 4/6 core parts don't turn out to be overclocking beasts which is rather unlikely. Oh and no showstopping bugs and erratas! :pray:

AMD needs process improvements from GloFo and more games like Watch Dogs 2 which scale from threads instead of Mhz. There are very good chances that future game engines will do that but by the time a 8-core CPU is better across the board than a 30% faster 4-core CPU, Intel will probably have caught up.

Fun fact: an analyst report stated that "over 99%" of Intel's desktop CPUs sold in 2016 included an integrated GPU, so 6-10 core high end desktop CPUs sales accounted for less than 1% of their sales. Not surprising but it puts the whole "6900K killer" hype into perspective.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah they should be, particularly if AMD gets those "Zeppelin" 32 core Zen/Vega/HBM APUs out the door. I don't think Intel even has response to that unless they license it from AMD.

edit: typo

eames fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 23, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

It looks like AMD ran all official benchmarks on the the 6900K with dual-channel memory (2x8GB) instead of quad-channel. :crossarms:

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/5485#32

eames
May 9, 2009

mid-range R5 Q2 2017

low-end R3 2H 2017

http://imgur.com/a/U6ysr

edit: more bad news!

servethehome posted:

We did ask about a potential single socket Ryzen/ Zen part with ECC memory support and were told that AMD was not announcing such a product at this time alongside the Ryzen/ Zen launch.

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-parts-available-for-pre-order-now/

eames fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 23, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

On the overclocking wall front, if I understand correctly that's probably not a terrible place to be in insofar as hopnig that GloFo will gradually unfuck their process which will shift that wall forwards. So B and later steppings of the Ryzen should see more headroom through natural process improvements, yeh?

I mean I'm assuming it's not an architectural issue but Zen doesn't seem to be an architecture that would run dry at 4.2GHz so I'm assuming it's more the GloFo factor. Am I right in that understanding?

I'd say you are correct on all accounts. If GloFo makes some additional headroom and AMD can push out Zen+ with slight IPC improvements next year, they'll be in a really good spot.

In unrelated news multiple people are reporting that non-X processors feature XFR and I have no idea what that means.

OCUK posted:

All three processors are the same, they all have XFR technology. The X varients have higher boost clocks hence the X, otherwise all three CPU's feature XFR and the only difference is clock speeds.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/amd-zen-thread-inc-am4-apu-discussion.18665505/page-386#post-30531006

computerbase posted:

No. The X has nothing at all to do with it and does not stand for XFR either. That is simply a misconception thanks to the rumored kitchen. And yes that is guaranteed, because I am in SFO with AMD. I can not say more

https://translate.google.de/transla...t-text=&act=url

eames
May 9, 2009

it's so strange because what are they going to do with all the 8 core dies with 1-2 defective cores? put them in a pile and wait a few months before shipping them out?
The only explaination I can come up with is that they have better yields than expected and decided to milk the early adopters.

By the way the R1600X slide in that imgur gallery I linked earlier shows 6c/12T 3.6/4.0. I'm going to guess that it'll also clock higher because of the lower TDP.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah that makes sense. The current 8C/16T model preorders have sold out before benchmarks are out so I guess they're doing it right.

The fact that they (think that they) can ship vast such amounts of high end SKUs at launch leads me to believe that R3/R5 SKUs will have decent OC headroom from the start.

A 4C/8T R1400X clocking to 4.6 Ghz for $199 would cannibalise a good amount of R7 sales at launch, so perhaps they're really sandbagging. :allears:

eames
May 9, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

When did this all happen? :(

The co-founder never said that ECC isn't important. It's just that ECC is as important for ZFS as it is for any other file system.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235679&p=26303271#p26303271

I set my little Dell T20 homeserver to log corrected errors and it found two in the last ~6 months — both could have been potential crashes or data corruption on non-ECC systems.

I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to buy a Xeon + C-series chipset MB + ECC ram over the consumer versions to replace this machine but it'd be nice to have consumer Ryzen support it.

eames
May 9, 2009

potential cache erratum, manufacturers rushing boards out the door with unfinished BIOSes, there's really no new info in that neogaf post.
we'll just have to wait for the 28th/2nd and potentially weeks longer to get a decent picture of the final performance.

eames
May 9, 2009

nifty graphs compiled by 3dcenter:

EA's upcoming Mass Effect: Andromeda is rumoured to scale better with threads than frequency.
It's just one title but regardless great timing for AMD because those benchmarks will make the rounds during the launch week.

eames
May 9, 2009

fishmech posted:

Honestly you should wait until it's actually been out for a few months and motherboard manufacturers have had time to work out the ievitable bugs.

this should be the new OP.

If you really need a high end CPU right now for whatever reason, the R7 seems like a good option.
All others should wait a few months to see how things shake out — motherboard stability, CPU errata, benchmarks to evaluate performance behaviour for your applications, GloFo process improvements, better value SKUs with more OC headroom, perhaps even a response from Intel (heh who am I kidding).

eames
May 9, 2009

Dante80 posted:

Don't know about you guys, but here in Greece it seems like DDR4 is getting price bumps every week or so..T_T

Yeah, something about fabs retooling for a new process causing a supply shortage. I ordered two sticks of DDR3-ECC on Amazon mid December and today I wouldn't be able to buy a single stick for that price. :ohdear:

eames
May 9, 2009

Elotana posted:

i want to believe

seems realistic considering the 6800k is a 3.4/3.6 Ghz Haswell 6-core. Ryzen should have similar IPC but higher clockspeeds with their XFR thing.

The one I'm really looking forward to is 1700X/1800X vs 7700k both stock and OC.
The CPU-Z benchmarks above show parity between a 1700X and a stock 7700k, if that's possible with custom watercooling then I'll be very tempted in 6-8 months even though I didn't plan to upgrade anytime soon.That probably was at ridiculous voltages and/or LN2 though...

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

The next go-around is going to be interesting for Intel, because I bet AMD gets those clocks up.

Yeah that's when we'll find out if AMD really caught Intel with their pants down. AFAIK next up is Coffe Lake which looks like it'll be another Kaby Lake (same process, +0% IPC, efficiency+clockspeed bump) only with hexacores slowly becoming mainstream.

Even if AMD doesn't follow up with Zen+ as early as next year, it's going to be interesting.
Not to mention that Intel no longer has a GT4e SKU to counter a 50W Zen APU.

eames
May 9, 2009

1440p resolution but we have no idea what GPUs and graphic settingswere used for each of the slides. for all we know these could be pretty GPU bottlenecked.

source

edit: bonus XFR slide

eames fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 1, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

wccf has a bunch of new leaked slides

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-architecture-slide-review-leak/

eames
May 9, 2009

did I miss the part where AMD announced a partnership with SpaceX to shoot a Ryzen CPU around the moon or where's all that space chat coming from? :v:

A full review by an a persian (iranian?) site is up here:

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto

:salt: Allegedly this is a 1700X sample with a prerelease BIOS stuck at 3.4 Ghz with 2133 Mhz RAM. No Turbo. :salt:

Here's a german guy trying to delid Ryzen CPUs, casually mentioning that he already killed two in the process. They're soldered by the way. It's also pretty interesting that it looks like the 8C/16T models have two separate dies closely next to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOZbK3tP7EU

eames fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 1, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

redeyes posted:

Reading between the lines, you need to test in a specific way to make AMD look good instead of just running benchmarks or programs like normal people. loving AMD.

It's a really dumb move, AMD clearly has (soon had) the whole enthusiast community, including reviewers, rooting for them as the underdog that may not deliver 100% of the gaming performance but at least tries to change the desktop CPU landscape for the better.

Now it increasingly looks like throwing it all away with BIOS "benchmark modes", strict last minute reviewing guides and whatever else. It's not like those additional few percent would have changed the buying decision of many people. The truth will come out either way.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah the BIOS screenshot reports 1.4V for a 1700X with everything set to default.

If that is true then the review samples with mediocre 4.1 GHz OCs were the best binned CPUs they could possibly find. :gonk:

I find it remarkable that Ryzen does extremely well in most of the synthetic benchmarks but stinks in any unoptimised game - much more so than what the single thread synthetics would have us believe.

That low res CS:GO score is worse than what a commenter posted of his Pentium G4560. :allbuttons:

eames
May 9, 2009

this youtuber has a bunch of 1800X + GTX1080 gameplay videos on his channel. The CPU core utilization on the OSD is interesting (and disappointing).

NDA expires in a few minutes.

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

hmm, yase, those 4K videos surely are not GPU-bound, definitely a legitimate test of Ryzen performance

yeah, GPU utilization is pinned at 99%. At least we learned that 8C/16T are great for loading up Minecraft. :eng101:

eames
May 9, 2009

GN review title seems spot on. "AMD Ryzen R7 1800X Review: An i5 in Gaming, i7 in Production"

1800X getting toasty at 75°C with a 2x120mm AIO watercooler at full fanspeed. :tif:

eames
May 9, 2009

Disabling SMT in BF1 gives a stock 1800X the same performance as 1800X @ 3.9 Ghz and increases minimum framerates by 50%.

"You're better off disabling SMT than overclocking, although if you do both you'll get more of an performance jump."

Looks like their neural network threadripper still has some learning to do.

eames
May 9, 2009

repiv posted:

Do we know if Microsoft have pushed out Zen support in the Windows kernel yet? Linux needed an update to detect Zens SMT layout and schedule around it correctly.

anandtech interview posted:

Q4: With Bulldozer, AMD had to work with Microsoft due to the way threads were dispatched to cores to ensure proper performance. Even though Zen doesn't have that issue, was there any significant back-and-forth with Microsoft to enable performance in Windows (e.g. XFR?)

Dr. Lisa Su: Zen is a pretty traditional x86 architecture as an overall machine, but there is optimization work to do. What makes this a bit different is that most of our optimization work is more on the developer side – we work with them to really understanding the bottlenecks in their code on our microarchitecture. I see many apps being tuned and getting better going on as we work forward on this.

Doesn't sound like there's a huge amount of performance left on the table but who knows.

eames
May 9, 2009

AMD suggested 1440p benchmarking to create GPU bottlenecks, heh. GN is also calling out their tech demo tricks like moving the camera to view the Skybox in Sniper Elite. :iceburn:

Zen+ should be interesting if they can pull off a 10-15% IPC improvement plus process improvements plus multithreading improvements . At the moment I'd still prefer a 7700K over a 1800X.

edit: 5.8 Ghz on LN2:

http://hwbot.org/submission/3473875_der8auer_cpu_frequency_ryzen_7_1800x_5802.93_mhz

Vcore: 1,97V :vince:

eames fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 2, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

I was looking forward to a DigitalFoundry frametime comparison video but they don't even have a review up. :sigh:

eames
May 9, 2009

:rip:

eames
May 9, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

It's close to what could have been expected, except I was surprised to see how badly it could perform with SMT (THREADRIPPER) enabled at times in the Gamers' Nexus review.

I think AMD have made a mistake by releasing only an 8-core launch line-up, because 8-core is still basically kind of niche. A solid 4 and 6 core offering with clocks a bit over 4GHz would have made more sense for the mainstream gaming market. But maybe they can't push it any more, it certainly seems that way. GloFlo strikes again?

Pretty much. Zen predominately seems to be a high IPC/low frequency design and it seems like they relied on the process to get the frequency up. Because relying on GloFo has worked so well in the past. :v:

A quadcore Zen @ 5.0 Ghz would have been very impressive but that was clearly not going to happen at lauch, so they launched it with twice the cores to hide the fact that it really isn't all that competitive compared to KL.

I'm surprised that $AMD is holding up so well. I kind of expected /r/ayymd to panic sell. AMD is still in a decent position with Zen+, APUs and Naples. Not sure about mobile.

eames
May 9, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

So like, they're still delivering okay gaming benchmarks and have very good multi thread performance. Even if I turn off SMT I'll have 8 threads to work with? Am I :hurr: stupid for not being surprised or disappointed? I think it'll be an okay offering. Is that foolish? I am interested in video recording and gaming at the same time, so I being the best single thread performance isn't necessarily what I'm interested in.

Ryzen is an excellent effort and great value. It's just that the very vocal majority of hardware enthusiast online care about gaming performance. If you are one of the people that have use for a lot of cores/threads then it's complete game changer compared to Intel's offerings.

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

if you insist - the corporation in question was molesting my perfromance from approximately 2011 to 2016

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: the corporation in question was molesting my perfromance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

some actually useful responses over in the AMA, i.e. one related to lacking SMT performance:

Lisa Su posted:

Thanks for the question. In general, we've seen great performance from SMT in applications and benchmarks but there are some games that are using code optimized for our competitor... we are confident that we can work through these issues with the game developers who are actively engaging with our engineering teams.

some are less useful

Lisa Su posted:

Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound. And we do exceptionally well in rendering and workstation applications where more cores are really useful. In 1080p, we have tested over 100+ titles in the labs…. And depending on the test conditions, we do better in some games and worse in others. We hear people on wanting to see improved 1080p performance and we fully expect that Ryzen performance in 1080p will only get better as developers get more time with “Zen”. We have over 300+ developers now working with "Zen" and several of the developers for Ashes of Singularity and Total Warhammer are actively optimizing now.

well yeah my 6 year old CPU is also doing well when the applications are more graphics bound.

• Locked thread