Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Welp the frankenstein machine worked out pretty well and I'm looking at getting decent hardware.

Is it worth getting the 1700X over the base 1700, or am I better off just overclocking the 1700 and sticking a fat water cooling block on it?

Anything other than the 1700 is a ripoff compared to it, you might get an extra 100-200MHz if you are lucky and you go with an 1800X, pretty much every Ryzen 7 CPU will do at least 3.9GHz, and many 1700s will do 4GHz, especially on water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rabid Snake posted:

I got a 1700 for $250. Can the wraith cooler over clock well or I am I better getting s hyper 212 or another aftermarket CPU cooler

Ryzen needs to be run at fairly high voltages and produces a lot of heat so it's recommended that you go with a 240-280mm AIO if you want to get the most out of your chip.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That's, uhhhh, a thing. :raise:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I assumed they might suck as reviewers. It's a shame they are maxing out Ryzen's memory controller but not the Intel chips.

I didn't spot the Intel memory speeds as I just searched page 1 for "intel" :downs:

They probably don't have a DDR4-4200 kit lying around to test with, also a motherboard that supports those speeds, also performance in games maxes out at around DDR4-3200/3400 on Intel platforms.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Obsurveyor posted:

What's up with memory prices anyway? The same stuff I bought 6 months ago is 55% more expensive today and prices in general seem up from then. Thinking I should just pull 32GB out of my machine and use it on the new one, rather than drop up to $175 on freaking 16GB.

Demand is outstripping supply right now with the move to DDR4 and it can take years for new production lines to be built or old DDR3 production lines to be converted to DDR4 production.

• Locked thread