Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Emulating cell is hard. They own an onlive type company now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The real question is is how much sony is going to pay verizon and comcast for priority on their networks, then we have that whole monthly bandwidth alotment.

edit: sorry this is off topic for this thread.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

This is what made me o_O

350 loving watts

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Col.Kiwi posted:

Huh?

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

(You're right in the point you're making but I think you're a bit confused on 4790k specs)

I think he means if you disable the onboard video.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Their highest end FX chips dont have any onboard graphics and are still terrible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

fart simpson posted:

Back in those days I watched a Circuit City guy tell someone to get a Pentium 4 system if he wanted great performance because AMD was a cheap budget brand.

AMD was/is a cheap budget brand. They always have been.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

Apple switched to Intel during AMD's hayday as well. This is a totally blind guess to me but I assume things like that and superior supply chain management are more important to these guys than just CPU benchmarks

The big deal with intel was performance per watt.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

OEMs probably don't care about a regular consumer's power bill and your average Joe consumer had no concept of what that was 10 years ago

Its not about power bills, its about laptop battery life.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh I see, you're talking about power/performance with Intel chips for laptops, not that the big (negative) deal with Intel being bad performance per watt on desktop.

Apple moved to intel when intel moved to core.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

So are there any new iterations of killer CPU's coming out from intel any time soon? I am looking to build a new ridiculous system (because I'm a fat nerd) but I am gating myself by CPU and GPU releases.

Broadwell comes out next year. Haswell-E comes out really soon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The problem is AMD hasn't released anything more than a stick it into a walmart hp computer cpu in almost 2 years.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nano was $30 off at newegg and never sold out

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They will probably way overprice it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The 9590 launched at a hilarious $800

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

People still buy FX cpu's

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They are losing money and have no new products in the direct pipeline. The only new products they do have they can't produce many because of yield problems.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Because they were idle

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlRWqqWay7c

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Amd doesn't have performance parts to not ship heatsinks with.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't consider Intel's new thing of not including a heatsink with K parts to be a bad thing. I do not know anyone who does not run an aftermarket cooler on K parts anyways, except when said aftermarket heatsink doesn't work, either because of DOA or age, and even then, only as a stopgap measure.

The 4790k was actually faster than the 4790 so there is a use case for people who dont care about overclocking and poo poo to just use the stock heatsink.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

I know mine came in box with no heatsink and specifically warned you that you had to buy your own.

They were originally only sold to large OEMs because installing them in the wrong boards could kill motherboards.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HP already has an AM4 system out apparently

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05254568

Machine doesn't even have a support page on their site yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I always feel thermalright got a bad deal cause their name is so close to thermaltake.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

incoherent posted:

That sounds like a bad grounding issue. Pull it out the case, boot it up on a boardboard box (or the plastic anti-static bag that came with it).

Do not set a board on top of an anti static bag and turn it on.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can shut down 8 or 10 while holding shift and you get an option to boot to UEFI BIOS settings.

Asus boards let you wire your reset button to a boot bios button also.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The only thing blocked is upgrading from an existing install and even that works if you use the assistive services user installer

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Being a monopoly isn't even illegal. Abusing your monopoly is or becoming one non naturally.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I dont understand people saying the cards may be crippled because amd taped up all the pci vents to keep people from taking pictures. Why would AMD purposely gimp their poo poo during their event.

They could just put the computers under a desk

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

Doesn't all the BIOS and everything being on chip also allow from four much less expensive motherboards? AMD might be chipping down cost in both directions.

A bios chip doesn't cost very much.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

McGlockenshire posted:

When was the last time that a consumer-class motherboard shipped with a socketed BIOS chip?

Lots of them.

This $60 asus h110 board has a socketed bios chip.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132854

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I don't know if Business Insider will have an article on the AMD chip, but if it does, I'll bet you the headline looks something like

AMD Just Demolished Everything We Thought We Knew About Computers

Business Insider is the worst, bar none.

Chipmakers hate this

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AbrahamSlam posted:

AMD infuriates competition with this one weird trick!

Edit: I just couldn't help myself.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Will the chipsets still be shite

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SourKraut posted:

I'm assuming Gigabyte is still poo poo for motherboards? It looks like Gigabyte and MSI are the only two with mATX at launch, so that'd leave MSI I guess as the choice.

Edit - never mind, looks like ASUS and Asrock will too. So Asrock might be the best bet?

Ive built out hundreds of gigabyte boards and they are fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

nvidia chipsets

Nforce 2 was epic

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This opening of preorders ahead of NDA stinks more and more the longer I think about it.

Its what all the best video games do....

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

platfourme

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

But you gotta buy the cyberpower twice when the chao mang "800w" power supply blows taking everything out with it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AMD should have copied the 115x mounting points. Though i guess it still wouldn't make intel coolers compatible due to height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I thought the NDA's lifted on the 28th?

If you go by what you see on Reditt yeah its a shitfest. Here and other places (ie. Ars, Anand, OCUK, etc.) its nowhere near like that.

Really judging anything by what you see on Reditt at this point is probably pointless. Exception would seem to be Trump voters but that is a whole other shitshow I'd prefer not to go into.

Is there any indication you need that or that is what they're doing though? What leaks I've seen so far is maybe they're forcing 1T command rates but that is something else altogether.

/r/the_ryzen

• Locked thread