Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Yeah this is the reason I'm so down on the Core 2 duo for the normal user these days. Technical people have the expectation that "normal users" just run one thing at a time, or maybe a word processor and a browser tab simultaneously. But what you actually see happening is they'll open 20 complex tabs like facebook or whatever and have the word processor open and so on. Then they complain everything's so slow, but they're also not going to change their usage pattern.

This is only because the machine is running out of RAM. 8GB usually fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
To my thinking this all hinges on having a mature well performing platform with all the stuff people expect. USB 3, m.2, etc AMD has always been 2nd class when it comes to platform performance and quality assurance.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lube banjo posted:

i can't believe how upset you are about having to spend 2 seconds changing the default printer one time, after installing a major printing application

It would be no big deal until you need to do this 1000x because you run a support shop.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mayodreams posted:

If only there were tools to standardize settings, software, and computers!

Goddamn internet geniuses.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hahahah holy poo poo, everything is about to change.

Just like the last 3 times everything was about to change because of AMD. I have absolutely no confidence in their benchmarks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PerrineClostermann posted:

The article seems to mention that AMD might be having trouble with the mid-range Ryzen CPUs, though, in regards to clock speeds. If so, they might not be able to straight demolish Intel's offering across all ranges like the fanboys are dreaming.

About the best I can hope for is Intel to drop prices. If AMD somehow matches or even beats Intel I will be so loving surprised. Like Trump won the presidency surprised.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's too slow to be worth the trouble on any current x86-64 core even, jaguar has full-fat floating point processing for its performance class as it's not sharing fpus like construction cores do and AVX is a great way to burn out your motherboard's VRMs even on the latest intel cores

I didn't believe you so I looked this up and it appears to be the Haswell generation which had the VRMs inside the CPU itself. Skylake and later reverted to having the VRMs back on the motherboard... so is this still a thing?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see IPC vs Intel for a single core. Pronto.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

This is what we have so far, not the best benchmark but it's a data point.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-389-8-core-cpu-benchmarks-leaked/

Trying to wrap my head around that. Looking great for AMD pretty much. To me the biggest problem for a long time has been AMDs power usage per performance, not so much overall usable performance. This really does seem to fix that problem. I hope the platform itself is stable and compatible. In the past things like AMD's SATA and USB drivers were subpar.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Intel will still beat them on the high end for single threaded. I think this will be a wash in the end honestly. BUT price will be driven down. I will still buy Intel because AMD blows at Q/A.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Bluth posted:

For what it's worth (nothing?), I just ran the Blender benchmark on a dual Xeon X5680 3.33ghz / 48GB workstation (2011 Westmere) . Getting a time in the 27s, so 2s slower than the Ryzen machine with 50% extra cores but 0.12ghz deficit. (Disclaimer: I was using Blender v2.71 not 2.78a)

So that would be what, 8 core 2 CPU Intel vs 8 core 1 CPU Ryzen? Yeah.. a wash.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Bluth posted:

The X5680 is a 6c/12t.

Oh so 12 core vs 8 core? Yeah thats hard to form any kind of opinion about.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I7 7700K @ 4700 w/DDR4 3000
2337 and 9925

Looks like Ryzen has the upper hand with multithread and loses single thread. Based on clock speeds I am very impressed with heat/vs core count and not impressed by single thread performance at all.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 18, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If Intel doesn't drop prices across the board its going to be real interesting.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

Core voltage on LN2 :stonklol:

It died 2 seconds after the screenshot was taken never to boot again. (just guessing HOLY poo poo VOLTAGE)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Ive built out hundreds of gigabyte boards and they are fine.

Me too but recently way way more RMAs and odd poo poo happening. I converted to ASRock and ASUS. But yeah, back in the day Gigabyte mobos were rotten garbage with non-intel chipsets.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Toalpaz posted:

I literally don't have a desktop computer atm cause mine is currently dead and broken. I'll definitely be a goon forerunner and post about my inevitable troubles and the probable failures of gen 1 Ryzen.

E: Also my sole reason for not just picking up a comparable gen 7 I5 for gaming is that I want to believe. So feel free to laugh at me later on.

Godspeed bleeding edge goon. Let us know if that edge cut you too bad.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Here’s an article where someone actually successfully tracks down a single bit error in some code.

Yes, chances are good that the effected data is will never be written to disk and that if it is, it’s something that isn’t critical like a video file.

But if bit flips in executable code, you’re in for a headache.

That strikes me as a computer autist that doesn't know bad RAM when he sees it. But your point remains.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

sounds like reviewers are going to be working late tonight

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/837026790526881797

Reading between the lines, you need to test in a specific way to make AMD look good instead of just running benchmarks or programs like normal people. loving AMD.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am most disappointed with their 'TDP' which is bullshit. Figured as much but AMD just plain lied about it from where I sit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've watched a bunch of comparison videos where they do the left side Intel and right side AMD and I am nearly sure the AMD stay smoother under the heavier scenes. Its very hard to tell but its there.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the biggest Intel fan ever because mostly their stuff is solid and reliable and has been forever. On the other hand I want a Ryzen workstation. 8c/16t has been a dream of mine for a long time and Ryzen seems well optimized for heavily threaded workloads. I guess I'll be waiting for solid BIOS/Motherboards, however long that takes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm XML posted:

Ugh it'll be forever until we get good 4k on PC

The consoles are doing more for this than anything else

What you mean. 4K is here buddy

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah, the oh-so-apple 12" one, and yeah that's true, but the vast majority of people will be in a similar situation, unless they have like a gazillion different netflix/hulu/facebook/w/e tabs open. Right now the biggest cpu hog is actually chrome and it's little helpers keeping one page open plus chrome remote desktop's main page as well as the moonlight base window.

This x1000 and also Chrome has broken hardware acceleration on AMD cards and probably others. If it weren't so functional I would ditch it for Edge which does a lot right under the hood compared to it.. with a horrid interface.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

Why do pins and LGAs instead of one or the other?

Intel moved the one thing that can break to the motherboard. pins

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Well what they were supposed to do about it? Ryzen is great but it isn't anything Intel couldn't counter by lowering the prices a bit, if necessary. Maybe on the server side, but even then it would take some time for AMD to ramp up manufacturing and sales before it's a real threat. At the same time I have to imagine they're running some R&D beyond the next tick/tock as well.

By lowering prices by around half? That isn't trivial.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For gently caress's sake, it's P L A T F R O M. Respect the loving marketing. :colbert:

PLATFROM.

:xd:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

So the NT kernel team figured out how to schedule things on Ryzen properly. Neat.

Wonder if this is going to completely invalidate existing game benchmarks.

That is kind of a big deal. Any sources?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero Gravitas posted:

Welp the frankenstein machine worked out pretty well and I'm looking at getting decent hardware.

Is it worth getting the 1700X over the base 1700, or am I better off just overclocking the 1700 and sticking a fat water cooling block on it?

A fat water block would nearly make up the price difference in those CPUs ,no?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I loving knew it. The platform is poo poo. NVMe performace is nearly HALF Intel at low queue depths.. which is exactly what most desktop pcs will be seeing. loving AMD! Same poo poo, different platform.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
4k Q1 is where nearly all home systems sit in terms of i/o load. ATTO on their benchmark indicated half the sustained reads that Intel gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wasn't this known to be a rambus design? I couldve sworn I'd read that before launch or in a launch article.

The ghost of RAMBUST haunts us to this day :zombie:

• Locked thread