Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Maybe that's the reason for the staggered releases, the oddly separated dates may mean new steppings and any actual bins currently would exacerbate the current problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

memory latency is the important thing, and there's progressively less of it with higher speeds of RAM since CL isn't fully proportional to clocks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The scuttlebutt of low bandwidth RAM is that it's much harder to find low latency 2400 than it is to find average latency 3200

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

this was a few days ago, but this is the important part

http://semiaccurate.com/2017/02/22/amds-ryzen-7-1800x-beats-intels-i7-6900k-half-price/

quote:

Charlie Demerjian
Intel PR sent out a last-minute “call us before you write” email to most of the press, but not SemiAccurate, after hours last night. You could infer that they are suddenly really worried about something.

the wccftech article is fairly sensational but I would not be surprised about intel being petty about AMD merely catching up to their last-full-gen poo poo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's low latency in this case?

I got DDR4-3000 CL15 sticks and run them at 2400, lowered the CL proportionally to 12 (same for the other main timings). Works fine. Could probably do 11.
CL10 is unicorn status at that clock rate

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the errata seems to be significant enough apparently

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Can they just fire AMD's marketing and press relations department like 10 years ago, holy poo poo this is an embarrassing fractal of stupidity. Errata wasn't such a big loving deal a decade ago for Core 2 and POWER8 took a giant poo poo for a few weeks upon its unveiling but finally got things working right after a couple months.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yup. With Ryzen they've gotten close enough to Intel's latest core performance to not matter for most things while still selling for much less. That is the best you could realistically hope for with Ryzen.

If you want something that will maaaaaybe go toe to toe with or even beat Intel's best you'll have to wait for Zen+. They'll probably sell it for a whole lot though. AMD was always perfectly willing to charge top dollar if they actually had a performance lead.
Yep. The prices on Opteron chips branded as Athlon FX from way back when were just like 5% off the opteron price lmao

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

b b b but i thought it was gonna make intel have to basically give the 7700k away because it was going to be such a gaming monster
People who believed this for more than a second are loving retarded :allears:

SMT not working properly at all is a surprise :cripes: production chipsets may be behind and BIOS with working SMT awaiting validation if this is theoretically a fixable thing, otherwise we're going to have early A64/Conroe errata comedy for days if not weeks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

Pretty much. Zen predominately seems to be a high IPC/low frequency design and it seems like they relied on the process to get the frequency up. Because relying on GloFo has worked so well in the past. :v:
They did get their poo poo together on Polaris, but as late as 4 months later and it's a question of how much of that was the AMD driver team vs. actually getting anything good from GF.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

redeyes posted:

I am most disappointed with their 'TDP' which is bullshit. Figured as much but AMD just plain lied about it from where I sit.
Even with the glofo power climb comedy cramps, it's pretty obvious that the stock/standard turbo clock TDPs are at least 50% higher than stated for all three of the SKUs (would it have killed them to label the TDPs as 140/140/95?). I look forward to the piles of errata fixed in new steppings if bios updates can't handle this (and from socket 754, they might not :cb:)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

It's fine, and "barely keep up with Haswell" is a decent result given that Broadwell was a teeny tiny improvement over Haswell. The truth is somewhere in the middle, it's better at some things and worse at others than Intel's chips. It's competitively priced for things that want 6+ slower cores and a decent product overall.
It upclocks very poorly, this seems to be an architecture made for stuffing as many lower-power 2.5-3.0ghz cores as possible which while great for server usage isn't going to translate well to :pcgaming: that wants fewer incredibly fast threads.

Also, why the unholy gently caress is SMT broken on release? :psyboom:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

I forgot to add for 149$ sry.
get a z170 board, an i5-6400 for $160 and run that BCLK up the wall, since those don't overclock any worse than i5-6600ks when it comes down to it

you'll have to play with memory timings and frequency though, but that's always been a thing for BCLK

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

Didn't they patch out BCLK overclocking? You'd need an old board.
Manufacturers undid the microcode update on all z170 boards a month after Intel pushed disabling it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

Nice launch. :bravo:
:pwn:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Alereon posted:

So to clarify, you're trying to use software to compress the video for the game you're playing in real-time? Yeah that'll be hard on a quad-core CPU but it seems like there's better solutions, like hardware encoding.
Hardware encoding shits itself pretty reliably at 60fps unless you're using AMD cards, hilariously.

Also, QuickSync duplicates your display when you encode with that, which is nice if you're playing at 1080p60fps, not so much when you're playing anything with a higher refresh rate or resolution

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Intel cores have always been arranged as 1/H1/2/H2/3/H3.... and so on in Windows, as Ryzen is. I'm pretty sure that's just baseless theorycrafting when the real problem is that SMT just doesn't work properly in the first place.

In unix-based systems, intel cores are arranged as 1/2/3/4/H1/H2/H3/H4. I can see how the problems arise if Ryzen doesn't follow this convention.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 4, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The AMD fanboy hasn't been the same since irony died a quick and uneventful death :killdozer:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

This isn't as bad as Phenom I because Ryzen is actually a functional chip

The errata as of current are just slightly worse than the level of Conroe's teething pains, ie why Intel now has chipsets on lockdown

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

My impression is that Ryzen can completely trounce Intel in performance per watt in mobile and server
This was the big goal of the Zen core (as well as have a new architecture for servers since 2010, yeesh). If they can translate that to ultrabook-usable dual core APUs (and the binned Polaris 11 parts are comically efficient), they're golden in mobile.

FaustianQ posted:

Isn't there a disadvantage to doing this though?
I think it's the same problem dual socket boards have, though I can't remember those off the top of my head

On the chip design, Intel has separated cache banks that are transparently unified by the time whatever reaches the OS. There's no reason why AMD couldn't do this, at least for Z+.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 6, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ragingsheep posted:

What's the difference between a mobile and desktop process? The mobile can't take as much power?
Zen (14nm LPP), Polaris (14nm LPP), Apollo Lake (14nm Intel) = Better for chip density and lower power consumption at specced voltages, bad for raising clocks and dissipating heat as you hit diminishing returns faster
Pascal (16nm TSMC) = Lower density design, better for achieving insane clocks and heat dissipation, low chip density and higher power consumption
Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake (14nm Intel) = Tries to be somewhere in between the above two

Intel could actually make the high speed Lake CPU designs denser if they wanted to, but they want to sell 4Ghz Xeons someday and they have to have 3.2ghz-for-one-second "4.5w" processors as a bullet point for sales.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wondering about the 4 core Ryzen, as they are cutting down each core complex, isn't this going to make the thread hopping problem significantly worse?
There are probably huge problems with handling asymmetrical CCXs

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They didn't decide to name it Z399 for trolling purposes?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Update on the Ashes benchmark discrepancy: it looks like the game silently scales the detail level based on the number of cores available. And Oxide didn't think to tell anyone this or make it configurable :doh:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/commoncfm/comparison/clickSwitch.cfm?id=138531

i'm sure hexa/octa-core owners will be thrilled that oxide has blessed them with particle rendering from 500 miles away at the low low cost of half their fps
lmao who the gently caress didn't tell them that ryzen was a 4+4 core complex

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In case you thought that we *weren't* headed towards our chips being assembled piecemeal going forward:

http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-g-hbm2-gpu-multi-die/
I'm going to chortle heartily if they use mini-vega for this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Have we found out what they're using that THREADRIPPER trademark for yet?
i really hope they use it for the consumer opteron :unsmigghh:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You're right it doesn't. The DRAM speed does so setting a CL 17 stick to CL 15 won't do anything to the IF clocks but setting a stick of 2133 or 2400 DDR4 to 2933 or 3200 will effect the IF clocks and apparently can reduce inter L3 caches latency significantly while also boosting inter L3 cache bandwidth but I believe its currently unknown if bandwidth is a big factor there. Going by the Pcper article on the subject recently it really seems like inter L3 cache latency is the issue.
I think the scuttlebutt is that inter-L3 cache latency between each 1.5-2.5mb per-core L3 for Intel's post-Sandy Bridge uarch is a constant thing and can be accounted for, but AMD's CCX 8mb is actually fully shared between a four core block and it's probably not as transparent to the OS whether it switches between cache banks or not?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Or maybe it's just a chip design that doesn't clock well

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

Really look forward to what the Mobile market might have when it gets to them.
If the perf-watt scaling is linear or almost linear there's gonna be a real :supaburn: in intel's pants in laptops

especially with the undervolted ryzen 1800x at 3ghz running at 30-35w stable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Toshiba tried to get into nuclear energy and failed. The Westinghouse subsidiary filed for bankruptcy protection, but it has severely injured the parent company itself. Their DRAM and NAND businesses are likely to be sold off to its competitors. Combined with the usual demand outstripping supply, you can expect it to get even worse in the fall.
The NAND business is likely to be sold to Western Digital, who have pretty much all but HGST'd Sandisk (the X400 is now out of production)

• Locked thread