Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nonpython posted:

But my computer gets 36 points higher on some stupid artificial benchmark for just $500 more! :smug:

I agree that AMD makes some great value processors and that they're just fine for gaming but yes paying $50-100 more to get a 2500k will net big improvements in performance if you do much other than gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

feedmegin posted:

Or, y'know, Moores Law is dying, as we always knew it would. We see only small improvements now because we've pushed the physics about as far as it can go. A healthier AMD might push prices down but it wouldnt make speeds shoot up again because, again, physics.

It's dead in the sense that we're not going to see doubling every 18 months anymore but it's not dead in the sense that we have to settle for paltry 5% performance improvements every generation like we've been getting from Intel desktop CPUs. GPUs, server CPUs, FPGAs, mobile CPUs, etc have all continued to improve at much higher rates, those too will probably start to hit a wall sometime in the 2020s but we're not there yet.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah I didn't mean that to be a complaint as much as just pointing out how we've made a lot more progress in areas other than single-threaded CPU performance, and that we're not butting up against a physics wall yet. Now if Nvidia or AMD released a new line of GPUs with only a 5% performance improvement that would be something to panic about.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah that's why the 5% gains don't frustrate me too much, all of the cool stuff is happening with GPUs and they're still making leaps and bounds for now. The new Pascal Titan is supposed to be a 100% improvement in raw compute power over the Titan X. If DX12 is able to successfully reduce burden on CPUs and better utilize many-core CPUs then I'll probably stop caring completely.

Also in respects to the AI stuff there has been a lot of progress on neuromorphic chips which completely deviate from the traditional von neumann architecture which has been computing as we know it for decades. Traditional CPUs are really ill-suited for these types of tasks and even GPUs might not be used for this stuff after the neuromorphic architectures are better developed and researched.

I think that the future of computing architecture is going to be CPU + GPU + FPGA/Neuromorphic ASIC all on the same die with some HBM and shared cache. The traditional CPU is going to be relegated to roles where serial processing is absolutely necessary while the other components do the heavy lifting.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 23, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

feedmegin posted:

No, it really is, in that sense. Not just intel desktop CPUs, by the way, if that's all there was to it you'd see IBM's POWER line racking up the clocks, or SPARC or even Itanium. (which server CPUs do you think are increasing in speed above 5% or so year on year, by the way?)

GPUs and FPGAs are both highly parallel which gets them round the clock speed limit - but not all tasks are parallel, or the growing popularity of multicore systems would have lead to much greater performance improvements. Most code is inherently serial (do this thing in order that you can do this thing in order that you can do this thing) and there isn't some magical way around that for all the research that has been done on auto-parallelisation. Mobile CPUs aren't pushing the highest possible clock speed, they're aiming for power efficiency, so again they're not hit by the hard physical limit on how high we can clock things.

I didn't mean clock speed, I mean overall compute performance of the chip. Server CPU clock speeds have been steady for a while but their core counts and overall compute performance has still improved a fair amount every generation especially when compared to desktop CPUs. Plenty of server applications can make good use of the extra cores as it can directly translate to being able to have more VMs running on the machine. There are a lot of things that are hard to parallelize but look at what sort of things people are trying to do now days that require a ton of compute. Machine learning, AI, advanced image/video processing, all of those tasks are highly parallelizable or even can use alternative architectures as I mentioned earlier where clock speed becomes totally irrelevant.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

feedmegin posted:

Sure...but the argument that started this off was something like 'if AMD were stronger Intel would be forced to compete and our desktop CPUs would be shooting up in performance again'. My counter-argument is that this is untrue because of physics, and this remains the case. People at home, even power users, aren't generally running dozens of VMs or high-traffic webservers or whatever so giving them more CPUs or more cores wouldn't do them any good, and otherwise we are stuck with 5% improvements in the only area where improvements matter for anything that you can't do with your GPU.

Physics stops you from increasing the clocks by much anymore but you can always put more transistors on the die for bigger caches and better branch prediction and stuff. They've really slowed down on doing that ever since Sandy Bridge came out on the desktop side while they're still trucking along with the increased transistor counts on the server side, which is why I was comparing the progress of desktop and server chips. I am guessing that this is due to a combination of diminishing returns, high cost/heat, and the fact that it would basically be niche product for PC enthusiasts which they have little economic incentive to provide. I still think that they would be pushing harder if they were still in close competition with AMD but yes there are inherent design challenges to providing more IPC that make it harder than just adding more cores like with GPUs and server CPUs.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

fart simpson posted:

The dual core with hyperthreading mobile i5 I have in my work laptop is garbage.

Which one is it? I have the i5-5300U in my work laptop and the i5-5257U in my home laptop and I've been pretty happy with them.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 25, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It's crazy to think that as fast as flash SSDs are improving Optane is going to come along and blow everything out of the water, these are some interesting times for storage.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not gonna work. As has already been pointed out, the A10-7850K is a 95W TDP CPU and that case only supports 65W or less. I think it would be iffy even underclocked, personally.

If you really must have something that small, I would look at the Alienware Alpha mini-PCs or the Gigabyte Brix series. ~$500 buys you an engineered solution with an actual discrete graphics chip. It will be a mobile graphics chip so it's not gonna rock Crysis or anything, but it'll be fine at DOTA. You're gonna be running at least $400 for that build anyway ($150 CPU, $75 mobo, $50 memory, $50 case, $50 PSU, etc).

I read your benchmarks. Fact is IGP performance doesn't really matter at all, Haswell and Skylake IGPs are just fine for solitare or DOTA or whatever and any IGP is going to get creamed going up against any discrete GPU in any game that requires more performance. You are wasting your money buying based on an IGP, period.

I would be wary of that Brix model with the GTX 760 in it, supposedly it's loud as gently caress AND still throttles down to a comically low frequency when loaded. It seems like they made poor engineering decisions and still decided to release the thing anyways, putting in a desktop GPU and letting it throttle from 1GHz all the way down to 200MHz just seems silly.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Gwaihir posted:

I don't really see being able to get away with selling an 8 core chip and having it be a commercial success, solely because the laws of chipmaking pretty much stipulates that an 8 core cpu is going to be more constrained on single core speed than a quad, and that outside of professional environments and niche communities (Uber nerds like us that do silly things like have home fuckin VM farms) we're all served by better single threaded performance.

Like, yea, an 8 core haswell for a hypothetical 300 bucks is a super great deal, if it's got decent 3.5ghz ish clocks no questions asked. But if it's slower for gaming, and unnecessary for generic PC stuff, who's going to buy it?

Intel quad cores these days are pretty low TDP, there's room for the 8c Zen to have a higher TDP without people holding that against them as long as the performance is there.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Well the cheapest Intel octocore at this point is $1000, a 200W TDP chip might require a $100 CLC for proper cooling with overclocking. That's still a great value proposition if the performance of Zen is close to the Intel chips.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

fishmech posted:

Yeah this is the reason I'm so down on the Core 2 duo for the normal user these days. Technical people have the expectation that "normal users" just run one thing at a time, or maybe a word processor and a browser tab simultaneously. But what you actually see happening is they'll open 20 complex tabs like facebook or whatever and have the word processor open and so on. Then they complain everything's so slow, but they're also not going to change their usage pattern.

Yeah I see a lot of people around the office with tons of stuff open at once, they very well might not do that at home with their personal computer use but in an office setting it's definitely pretty typical.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Eletriarnation posted:

On the competition topic, Intel is its own competition at this point. I think they'd love to deliver large year-over-year performance gains at a given price/power point so they can sell more chips in new machines but they really can't. If we still had the kind of gains we were seeing 1993-2008 then I would have replaced my 2500K with a 5.5GHz 8-core by now.

They still do deliver pretty good performance gains for server CPUs, partially because that's a much more lucrative market and partially because server applications can more easily utilize lots of threads. The same could be said for laptops, a Sandy Bridge laptop is pretty outdated now but my 2600k is still going strong even paired with a Pascal Titan X.

Trying to provide faster desktop CPUs doesn't make much sense as an economic priority and is also harder from a physics and computer architecture standpoint as both clock frequencies and IPC are becoming harder to improve. Since gaming has increasingly been focused on GPU performance anyways there are a number of factors contributing to Intel's reduced focus on providing more IPC and performance/$ for gaming enthusiasts.

If AMD were still competitive they would certainly still be delivering more but since they are not and gaming CPUs are a niche market for them they have little economic incentive to really push hard for fast enthusiast gaming CPUs.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 9, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Pryor on Fire posted:

Actually it might have been Palomino (Athlon XP) in 2001 that everyone lost their loving minds over. It's been so long since I was frying and cracking naked cpus that I barely remember those days.

The older Thunderbird was really strong too, I had one in my first real computer in 2001 clocked to 1.5GHz and it absolutely smoked the P4 at the time.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I don't even need a new computer but I'm probably going to buy Ryzen purely out of frustration with Intel's poo poo over the past few years.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Gwaihir posted:

source your reddit quotes plz

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I don't know where the notion that non-nerds don't give a poo poo about how fast their computer is comes from, no one likes waiting for their computer to do poo poo. I hear people at work complaining about computer slowness all the time although much less so now that they mostly have SSDs.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I liked how if the HSF wasn't properly seated and functional the chip would melt down after a couple seconds, almost happened to once but I cut the power to the machine just in time.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Twerk from Home posted:

You know, I'm really regretting cheaping out with one of the worst P67 motherboards out there. I never thought I'd be trucking on the same machine 6 years later with no real plans to upgrade soon.

Yeah having a lovely old mobo for my 2600k was basically my only excuse for building a new system, it is nice having two PCs though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

As far as I know Itanium was built on a flawed premise that ILP could be achieved through compiler optimizations and explicitly parallel architectures rather than achieving ILP through hardware methods like superscalar microarchitectures, out of order execution, etc. It seems like almost everyone uses the hardware approach now days and I'm not aware of anyone having much success with the software approach in the traditional CPU market.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Boiled Water posted:

This is being discussed heavily in the Intel thread and generally perceived as being a bad idea.

edit: Being a bad idea does not stop anyone from implementing said bad idea.

A bad idea for home users, it's an increasingly common thing in the enterprise space because they have very different requirements and absolutely can utilize all the speed.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

HalloKitty posted:

Edit: 4GHz base clock for an 8 core 16 thread chip at lower TDP than Intel's equivalent is just unreal. AMD might just have done it, the mad bastards. Intel will need to up their game. Hope AMD doesn't screw this up somehow

Yeah that's really quite something, I'm definitely gonna get one even though I don't need it badly.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

They're certainly not going to get another 40% IPC gain going forward but they've claimed that Zen+ would offer more than the typical 5% from Intel. There are definitely a lot of obstacles but I think the paltry performance gains we've seen going from the 2600k to the 6700k are just as much reflective of Intel just not caring much about the desktop market anymore for multiple reasons. Hopefully this competition from AMD will at least make them care a little bit about the desktop market even though it's too small of a market to spend a lot of resources catering to.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This looks really good, the $389 1700X is barely slower than the 6900k.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-389-8-core-cpu-benchmarks-leaked/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This is what we have so far, not the best benchmark but it's a data point.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-389-8-core-cpu-benchmarks-leaked/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Aesculus posted:

How is the quad-core at 3.2ghz doing better than the octa-core at 4ghz per core :psyduck:

The per core numbers seem to be just the total score divided by the # of cores so since the benchmark doesn't scale perfectly with additional cores any CPU with more cores will be disadvantaged on that chart.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Josh Lyman posted:

Toyota MR2

(this is a deep, deep reference)

I remember this reference but it's been so long I forgot the origin :doh:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/derrickgott007/status/831509055424360451

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

wargames posted:

is that good or bad?

That's better than what I'm seeing from a 4.5GHz 6700k so I'd say really, really good. I have no idea what that benchmark consists of though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

A 3.5GHz Ryzen vs a 4.7GHz 7700k isn't the best comparison though, we will have to wait to figure out how high Ryzen will clock.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This is pretty impressive since it's 6900k with turbo vs 1800X with turbo disabled and Ryzen is still doing quite well, it's still just passmark though.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-8-core-benchmarks/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Some more good numbers but it's still synthetics and unknown clock frequencies.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-processor-tested/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Josh Lyman posted:

Wouldn't a Pascal Titan outperform any AMD setup?

The HPC cards that AMD has previewed so far are pretty close to the P100 but more importantly I think the HPC people want the advantage of an APU over a CPU + GPU that have to communicate over PCI-E.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Paul MaudDib posted:

The high-end chips are clearly the ones to get here - insofar as you would ever want to pay $500 for a chip that barely breaks ahead of an Intel 6-core that you can buy for $330 even in multithreaded performance and gets utterly destroyed in single-threaded performance.

You're referring to the i7-5820k? What evidence do you have that a i7-5820k would "utterly destroy" the 1800X in single-threaded performance? Granted it was only one game but the AMD demo they had today showed the 1700 getting higher FPS than an 6800k at identical clocks. Your take on Zen is way more pessimistic than I have seen from anyone else.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's still at least 25% higher IPC.

I pointed out earlier in the thread that is an awful, awful chart. Those numbers are just the numbers from the multithreaded physics benchmark divided by the number of CPU cores. It makes absolutely no sense to present the data like that because the benchmark does not scale linearly with additional cores.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The 386 and 486 saw a lot of embedded use in the 90s so that's not even very atypical considering the time period.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I went to r/AMD yesterday and even they were freaking out about the 1080 Ti stuff, rightfully so.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Truga posted:

GPU encoding produces poo poo quality unless you're willing to stream at higher bitrates and then everything goes to poo poo anyway, because youtube will recompress your stream to poo poo so people can actually watch it.

GPU encoding is great for dumping videos to disk, since there's basically no performance hit, and you can just give it a 30Mb/s bitrate. Internet streaming not so much, and at 5Mbit/s, which I stream at (max for twitch is 3.5, even, which is why I moved to youtube), x264 produces a vastly better stream that youtubes digest far better. I just have to stream at 30fps currently because streaming at 60 and trying to retain the quality occupies the 4 cores I have and then the game runs at <30 fps and there's no point.

Ryzen is basically the cpu that was made specifically for my use case, as far as gaming goes. I was considering buying a second pc to encode on exclusively (still 50% cheaper than one of the decent stream encoding cards), but I now I can sell my old poo poo and get a brand new pc with that cash that'll stream smoothly and also have a new gpu I can VR with.

That said, I'm still not buying anything until these bugfixes get benchmarked and also VR benchmarks. If ryzen is somehow super poo poo for vr, :rip:

Yeah, this is pretty funny

[H] did some VR stuff in their review, it looks stronger in VR than in the general gaming benchmarks.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Hell, how much of the market is still dual-core, and how long has it taken for quad-core to become more prolific? I didn't even get a quad core chip until 2013.

I was curious so I took a look at some historical Steam HW survey data.

Feb 2009 - 15% quad core
May 2011 - 26% quad core
Feb 2013 - 43% quad core
Feb 2017 - 48% quad core

• Locked thread