Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmmmm, my 5820K@4GHz w/ DDR4-2400 CL12 does 1781 and 11292.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

eames posted:

Asus motherboard leak seems to confirm DDR4 ECC support

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/specifications/[/url]
1x PCIe 16x, 1x PCIe 16x slot at 4x, 3x PCIe 1x

Fun, if you have ancillary stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How much overlap is there between the SATA/USB ports and the PCIe slots? On my current board, using the NVMe slot for instance disables the PCIe 4x slot. One PCIe 1x on the southbridge also goes, if I use certain SATA ports.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

--edit: ^^^ An urban legend? Really? I thought it was proved that it does happen?

Klyith posted:

e: since the memory corruption can possibly flip more than one bit, and ECC can only handle 1 bit errors. If your system isn't detecting the rowhammer attack, multiple attempts eventually work. but current and near future hardware has protections against this type of attack, without the need for ECC.
It can correct 1 bit errors, and detect more than that. In latter case, it generates a machine check exception, on which the OS is supposed to panic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The scuttlebutt of low bandwidth RAM is that it's much harder to find low latency 2400 than it is to find average latency 3200
What's low latency in this case?

I got DDR4-3000 CL15 sticks and run them at 2400, lowered the CL proportionally to 12 (same for the other main timings). Works fine. Could probably do 11.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Numerical evaluation by a computer program means poo poo, just like looking at a FFT doesn't tell you whether a MP3/AAC file sounds good or not. How it looks when played back is what matters.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

eames posted:

PCGH has some interesting graphs on 720p core scaling, too bad they didn't add min fps. Quadcores aren't looking so hot. :(

Err, what does the X axis indicate? Y says framerate, X is what? Time?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone care to explain to me, why a purely CPU and memory bound benchmark like Cinebench has similar multithread results with a tiny edge for the Intel on single thread, yet two of the games have a noticeable/considerable framerate advantage?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How exactly can you get NVMe performance wrong? Isn't it just shoveling data back and forth over PCIe?

ufarn posted:

Another benchmark showing 30% DX12 gains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBf2lvfKkxA
The GPU load on NVidia DX12 is only at ~2/3rd of AMD DX12. Why's that? Latter also runs higher CPU usage.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 1, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So even if general IOs are chunkier than 4KB, mix in fragmentation, and there's potential of it being split up in more actual IOs. NTFS cluster size is 4KB.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Truga posted:

All the files are 100% "fragmented" all the time on every decent SSD due to internal wear balancing shenanigans.
Internal block size of SSDs is like 2MB or whatever. At least for the latest Samsungs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Reading say 1MB will always end up being 256 requests at 4KB regardless. The problem is when the data is scattered all over the place.

As I've just mentioned, the internal block size is rather large. If all these requests happen to be located on a single of these 2MB slabs (say a sequental read or winning the block allocation lottery), it'll get read into RAM once and the SSD can service all the requests cached. If a lot of these 256 blocks are all over the place, it has to keep reading 2MB slabs to get all the data. The absolute worst case is that it'd need to read 512MB of data from the NAND to service that 1MB request from the app (256 requests of 2MB internal slabs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That buffering thing would only be valid for someone using the Intel RST drivers. If you're running MSAHCI, for all intents and purposes, the Intel just sees the OS communicating to something via PCIe.

• Locked thread