Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nonpython posted:

AM3+ boards will take AM3 CPUs
I use AM3, and need a replacement motherboard.

If AM3 supported Bulldozer, I would buy another.. if AM3+ was available, I would buy that and upgrade my current proc to Bulldozer if / when the price is right.

It is a shame that for whatever reason, AM3+ boards arent available before Bulldozer launches - at least then I wouldnt be considering jumping ship before the chip even launches.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

How long until NDA lifts?
Sad to see the trainwreckery so far!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I bought a Bulldozer ready motherboard just over a month ago for my Phenom2, as I managed to break my AM3 board's audio port.. It's on Ebay now.
Gah. Nice board too. I worked out that even selling it at a loss, the cost of a Sandy Bridge 2500K + decent Asus mobo is cheaper then buying a Bulldozer chip.

The whole wait for Bulldozer has been a total PITA (socket AM3, then AM3+, AM3+ being a dead socket, then AM3+ getting Piledriver, delays etc). Have had enough now, just waiting for 2500K to arrive.

I'd have been all over Bulldozer if it just matched Phenom2x6 in everything, had 8 threads and less power use. And then I'd have been more likely to upgrade to Piledriver, too - at least I'd have an AM3+ board ready for them.

I wonder what kind of chip they originally intended - Bulldozer was first roadmapped for '09. No way could it have originally intended 2BN transistors @ .45NM, it would be unfeasible. This current thing is like a Prescott in so many ways. I wonder if that was always the intention or not, I guess we'll never know.

EDIT - the Anand posters commenting on buying Bulldozer because AMD need the money.. Wow, thats strange logic.
If they must fund AMD in some way buy the decent products it makes such as Bobcat or Llano, or better yet just go outside and don't touch a PC for a few years.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 13, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ja, agree totally. I am a total AMD fanboy for the reasons stated - Intel did do all that shady stuff and more, and they don't make it easy for AMD to add new instructions for instance / optimize compilers and suchlike. In short they suck.

This is the first time when I've really needed to upgrade that an AMD processor hasn't been an upgrade on what I've got (an AMD processor).
If Bulldozer had been as good as a x6 with 8 threads overall, I'd buy one, even though it would be slower then Sandy but this is inexcuseable, really.

Building solid products and providing long lived sockets will help them much more, then they'll get my money everytime.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

All I know about it really is what THG wrote about "core parking"
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-23.html

11.9% best case improvement in the limited amount of tests they could run in Win8; no idea how much across they board they would be. Idle power use better; he didn't run much tests on power use sadly.

Real problem is, Ivy Bridge will launch before Piledriver and Windows8, and it's pimped as having +10% performance increase. And 600 million transistors less then BD. Not good (for AMD)

>is bulldozer just disappointing, period?<
I think it is unless you have very specific requirements, with the manufacturing process the way it is.

I'll throw a Geekparty if AMD pull an A64 with this one, though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 13, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ragingsheep posted:

Don't most people who don't know anything about computers just go with Intel because the brand?

Think so.. some people are even weirder.
Guy I know vaguely is adamant he wants to buy a CPU for £700 or so; all he does is game.
I'm guessing he means a 980X. So he equates £ = value totally, and would not consider anything else because the 980X is more expensive. It was a strange conversation, the guys totally dead set on buying a £700 processor to play Oblivion and Skyrim on :shepicide:

I could tell it was distressing him when I mentioned Sandy Bridge so I just left it; the guys on a mission, he's going to love that processor because of cost alone and who am I to take that away from him. For all I know he might want to run POV-Ray in the background while adventuring, who knows.

Only reason I mention it is I can understand trusted brands to a point, but basing a purchase on cost alone is like.. its like.. I don't know what its like but its not good.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 14, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Totally agree something about they would need very specific requirements to benefit from a Bulldozer - ie, run a very heavily threaded workload almost exclusively or it is unlikely to be the best choice.

And even if they do run very heavily threaded apps, they should check reviews specifically containing the apps they run. Even so, theres very few cases its better then a 2600K and many many more when its worse.

A bit of my hope just died.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

adorai posted:

If you have 4 threads running that are doing fpu calculations, this patch should increase the performance significantly. As it is windows is loading up "cores" 1-4, which only have access to fpus 1 and 2. Instead, it should load up "cores" 1,3,5, and 7 which will get it access to all four fpus. Which even in single threaded apps, you have other things going on in the background.

JF_AMD said that the most efficient use of BD resources was where each module is loaded up with its two threads, and any unused modules are in a low power state.

If you had BD running two threads that functioned as you mention, one thread goes on module 1, one thread on module 2 to avoid the FPU being shared.
That means the first module has ~half its shared resources sitting idle and using power. Same on module 2.
Means the clock speed cannot ramp so high to remain within TDP and less resources are actually in use.

If you had 4 threads, you would have ~half of all the shared resources within modules sitting idle at full clock speed, using power. Unavoidable as you can only put unused modules to sleep, not unused cores.

Windows7 currently behaves that way sometimes as it has no concept of modules. Core parking in Win8 removes that behavior where possible, and improves performance and power use over 7.

This blog guy might be playing Chinese whispers with a developer but it seems bizarre he didn't just quote them, link to them, or show us the "unstable" .reg file. I still want to believe.

EDIT - :haw:
http://quinetiam.com/?p=1810

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 16, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zhentar posted:

What would AMD gain by moving to ARM? What about their technology, design experience, or other strengths gives them a significant edge over existing ARM competition? Nothing. They're doing well in the x86 mobile market because their integrated GPU (and its drivers) kicks the poo poo out of the competition. But the ARM GPU competition is not nearly as weak as Intel, and unlike the low-end x86 market, the existing ARM SoCs out there have more than sufficient GPU performance for the vast majority of users.

They arent going to move to ARM. They might want to make a nVidia Tegra competitor, and they have more experience in CPU / GPU integration then nVidia does.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 2, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

text editor posted:

AMD 'fanboys' never change.

Fanboys are retarded - but none so perfectly as a guy I saw on a forum, who bought a brand new Intel P4 EE and prised the heatspreader off it - not realising it was soldered on. £900 dead chip.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

7700 started showing up for preorder
http://www.excaliberpc.com/612645/asus-radeon-hd-7770-1gb.html

7770 specs displayed in GPU-Z
http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Radeon-HD-7770-Specs-Confirmed-by-GPU-Z-Screenshot-252488.shtml

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 14, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lots of people on OCN wishing they hadn't bought 680's right now - http://www.overclock.net/t/1253432/gigabyte-gtx-670-oc-version-hands-on

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I don't know that it will be done terribly, and do care as I'd quite like to play around with that feature. Just sayin'.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 14, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

No idea how good this source is, but for what its worth PD preview:
http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/09/preview-amd-fx-8350-piledriver-last.html

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I see the thread on Anand, OBR seems like a pretty bad site all around. My bad, sorry.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

For sure Intel is the way to go, but going from a 4GHz 965BE to a 4GHz i5 2500K - for general work I can't tell any difference at all. The AMD box feels slow as poo poo now it inherited my old WD Green drive instead of an SSD, though (no suprise).

I don't regret the upgrade to Intel in the slightest though (gaming, and the Intel box runs quieter).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 3, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

e - I'll post that in the GPU thread.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 22, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

adorai posted:

Jesus, how badly does your dick bleed after you jerk off with an intel processor?

Not that badly since they went pinless :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed at all. I would for that kind of system.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Are dragon age and da:I well optimised, or bad ports generally?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh crap, I meant to write were FC4 and da:I bad ports. I finished origins and liked most of it when I played it.

I'd like it more but the sequel corrupted my memories of it. I guess it's kind of like being an adult and discovering a childhood TV star was a pedofile.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Crotch Fruit posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that mainly because IA-64 was 64bit only and AMD's was 32 and 64bit? Like if you bought an Itanic, you would also be required to get a 64bit OS (which did not exist in the consume world at the time) and upgrade all of your software to 64bit versions, and even today a lot of software is 32bit. Or where there other bigger problems with the Itanium?

AMD added 64 bit instructions to X86, Itanic was a totally different architecture.

"AMD was never good" - "some alternate timeline where they weren't"... that's kinda bad posting right there.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 19, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

And? Yea, AMD definitely came out with a 64-bit instruction set, but still need Intels permission to use x86. Their processors are still poo poo, and their GPUs are hot, and they'll run out of money where Intel just gobbles up the AMD64 license and locks everyone out of x86-64 forever.

Hey, VIA isn't total poo poo, they made good chipsets once.
Hey, Voodoo isn't bad, they came up with SLI!
Hey, Cyrix had a lot of really smart people on their bench, stop calling them bad :qq:

Are you off your meds?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

pienipple posted:

On the other hand you can't really get away with passively cooling video cards anymore. My Radeon 9600 was passively cooled, as is the FX5500 in that Socket A system.

I put an accellero s1 on a 7850 and 750ti, both just cooled by case airflow. Stock heatsinks designed for fans won't cut it, though.

I really hope Zen rocks. But, even if it does, will there be great boards for it, and mini ITX and nvme and such?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Angry Fish posted:

From my experience, passive cooling on modern graphics means you cannot really tax the graphics card. Even with great airflow in the case, you won't be able to play any game for much longer than an hour before you're approaching 90C.

I'm using a passive 750ti. The only fan in the box is a 140mm 700rpm intake for the CPU cooler. Enough air flows around the CPU cooler and out the side panel vents to stop the GPU being in a cooling dead zone. It stays under 75deg, fully gaming loaded, and could run games constantly.

7850 in another box hits 85 Max, same cooler (accellero s1). Up to 120W in a well vented case hasn't been a problem here, but I'm in blighty so the room temp rarely hits 30deg. Bastard weather.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 11, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

Is it really possible that the sound quality of bit-identical audio files' is influenced by their storage medium before being delivered to the hi-fi system's DAC?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm

audiophiles: bit identical but sounds different.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Much more interested in K12 being a killer chip these days - at least they might stand a chance long term in the ARM market.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Boiled Water posted:

It's a market that only exists in the minds of the most vividly dreaming AMD fanatics.

Ultimately, I think the only future AMD has is pumping out ARM chips. K12 performing would give me hope they could do that, even if its just because it gives them a load of architectural modules for future ARM chips, mobile ones if they have sense / more value for acquisition.

Hopefully Zen will be awesome but even if it is, the x86 war of attrition is going to kerb stomp them eventually and its just not interesting watching that happen.

The only time I was fanatical at all about AMD was when they were actually better then Intel chips, and people still didn't use them.
Makes u think.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 16, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Do we have any good info on the amount of cache consumer zen will have, and pcie lanes?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ya, seeing the stock price makes me happy.

I want to believe.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Heh, I just saw and watched those in the GPU thread. Cool.

I am really hoping for Zen / Polaris, we need a two horse race for all this exciting VR stuff to get awesome.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm only interested in game benchmarks and pcie lanes. If it can match a 5820k and have 40pcie lanes.. well I can hope anyway.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

More pcie lanes perhaps.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm keeping my expectations fairly realistic - 5820k with more pcie lanes would do me fine.

I honestly only care about game FPS and being able to drop in SLI at full pcie3 x 16 without paying the ridiculous extra amount for unlocked pcie lanes would be nice. I hope they make this possible and maybe sell more shiny new graphics cards because of it.

Otherwise I'll just buy a 5930k on Zen launch day. And be kinda sad about it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 25, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"UPDATE: We've been contacted by AMD and received the following statement: "Just to be clear, we are not splitting the company. This is an internal structural shift and doesn't change things like financial segment reporting. This move should not be interpreted as a step towards creating a separate company or preparing for any sort of split. Graphics IP remains critical across our full product portfolio."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/amd-splits-in-two-meet-rtg-or-radeon-technologies-group-491346.shtml

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh drat I thought I'd found something useful. Has amd commented?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

So, if Polaris turns out well, I just hope we can all agree that Kyle threw his toys out of the pram because he didn't get invited to a party.

E- not just the party.. seems the relationship between Kyle and AMD has been a real shitshow recently :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 27, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PerrineClostermann posted:

I still haven't noticed this issue in my 840 :shrug:

Me neither, I'm very glad about it. I'm glad the newer drives seem solid.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Digitimes reports that we're looking more at early 2017 for Zen.

WELP LOOKS LIKE I'M NOT BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER THIS YEAR EITHER

It's like waiting for cube world.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They sound dysfunctional, get one of them an account.

• Locked thread