Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What are the advantages of on chip BIOS?

I get it removes some external circuitry. I imagine AMD think (if this will happen in retail chips) there are other advantages too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Well, with a headline like that I'm expecting it to turn computers into rapey tentacle monsters.

I'm sure Japan's working on that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: Threadrip your Blender

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

We don't know pricing for the 8c/16thread yet, do we?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Josh Lyman posted:

"AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: New desktop platform might actually be good!"

Platfrom

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just wonder how it does single threaded now. And how it clocks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder how effective AMD's power saving stuff actually is. And how well this does in games at 1440p.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Whoah, if 5GHz is doable for the majority of these delidded. I wonder if the memory controller will clock better, also.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It is now presently 7:15 AM. I have not slept in a little over 30 hours doing data recovery, reimaging, and restaging applications. I admit it is a small thing, but it is the last bleeping thing I need right now.

I thought my printer was broken when that happened. It is a small thing in a sea of other annoying small Win10 things.

Go to sleep.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Had they just gone and aped Intel's mounting hole positions, they'd probably have freed up a lot more space to bring those RAM slots in closer.

I'd have thought that'd be better for higher frequency RAM's.

I wonder what the memory controllers like. What kind of RAM speed do people get out of Bulldozer when they overclock it? I know it doesn't relate much to this (hopefully).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

IanTheM posted:

Can't you get 8 AMD cores for the price of 6 Intel cores? For gaming it's not a huge deal, but for media/video stuff it seems like a big one for sure.

I'd hoped they would be targeting current 4core users as well with something compelling. If that's really possible, though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd sell this 6600K and board for Ryzen, just to gently caress about with it - the only thing stopping me is sheer laziness. But I'm there in spirit.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My word, what a coincidence.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone ever struggled to physically install a graphics card? New rx480 wont sit in the slot on the board. It fits the case, my 780 fit like a piece of toast. This thing gets in the slot and justbwont click when i line it up and push down. What am i doing wrong do i need amd grease

Does your PCIE slot have a little catch, that pops up when the card is removed? Make sure it's open.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

One great exciting thing about all this is if >4 threads becomes really mainstream, and games take advantage of that across the board.

I still hope AMD or Intel stick a big fat cache on a chip soon, though, 5775c style. I'm interested in how Zen's memory controller copes with fast RAM speeds, to help min FPS.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 9, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Arzachel posted:

The CPU performance benefit from the L4 cache was miniscule and it took up more die space than the cores themselves did, I don't think we'll see it used for anything else than boosting iGPU bandwidth.

I'm happy with it being aimed at iGPU, if it's accessibly by the CPU also - as the improvement in min framerates with discrete graphics with the 5775c seemed really worthwhile.

I suppose as memory controllers get faster though and provide less latency it's less of a thing. /armchair speculation

HalloKitty posted:

I'm pretty sure they've been doing that for a while out of pure necessity, seeing as the current gen consoles have 8-core netbook class CPUs

This is a good point, I am now less excited.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 9, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

drat, son

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

spasticColon posted:

AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: RIP AND TEAR YOUR THREADS! YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE THREADS! RIP AND TEAR!

Platfrom

Otherwise I like it

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 13, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

x86-64 Platfrom Discussion - Intel: laptop CPUs on LGA2066, AMD: RIP AND TEAR YOUR THREADS

What, you don't like multiple threads in TYOOL 2017?

(One thread for the two platfroms would be good).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

But what does Kyle Bennet drive?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 14, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just hoping it can hit at least 4.5GHz reliably. Much less then that - meh. I really do wonder about how fast the memory controller will clock also.

6600K @ 4.4Ghz / 3600 Ram scores 2234 / 8660.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 18, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

eames posted:

According to a reddit user the guy on the left says this was the used heatsink :salt:

lol if Zen does cinebench at 5 Ghz with all cores cooled by hunk of scrap aluminium.

Yea, I totally don't believe that for a second. Being wrong would be fantastic but I'm going to say - no way, not unless they're disabling a bunch of cores and probably not even then.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

Again, the guys who witnessed this never made an overclocking claim, this is some redditor claiming it was overclocked. It was a cinebench test, and it was at stock clocks.

I'm responding to someone commenting on a Redditor posting that. Just in case anyone is unlikely enough to think that's going to happen.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

Athlon XP-M was amazing.

Friend on mine got his to 3GHz on air. (Ok, the computer was on his windowsill in -5degC weather but still). They were great.

I undervolted mine quite a bit and ran the fans super quiet.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 19, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

1x PCIe 16x, 1x PCIe 16x slot at 4x, 3x PCIe 1x

Fun, if you have ancillary stuff.

1 x PCIEx16, 1 x NVME (4x), USB etc - I could get by absolutely fine with that for ITX.
Is this socket meant to last for 4 years worth of procs? I'm surprised they didn't add more lanes in that case. (I know sharings a thing, but still).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 20, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hows the CPU useage for Vive? Are there threads for handling sensor feedback and such that benefit from more cores?

I'm just waiting to see the min framerate it gets in gaming, particularly in VR (but not many people seem to cover that.)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is John Mcaffe still going full retard in the Jungle?
I know that's what I look for in a software developer.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ihmemies posted:

If my earlier amd, via and nvidia chipsets are anything to go by, yes

Although there's a small chance AMD might finally produce a working chipset? lovely chipsets was one of the biggest reasons for moving to Intel.

I'm not sure I'd base much on 12 year old via and nvidia chipsets to be honest, different companies and over a decade out of date. And nforce2 was great anyway.

Whatever AMD chipset ran my 965be was really good.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 22, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's platfrom you fuckers

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

I was thinking it too, but didn't have the energy to reply with it

:discourse:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 22, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Risky Bisquick posted:

Going full corsair here

My Palit Gamerock 1080 cycles rainbow colours when the machine boots. It's like a little burst of Xmas lights.
At default, the Asus z170i glowed Red in a breathing pattern, I thought it was stuck in a boot loop.

Noctua are sending out free AM4 compatibility upgrades for many of their coolers.
http://noctua.at/en/noctua-offers-upgrade-kits-for-amd-s-ryzen-platform-free-of-charge
God bles Noctua. Ordered mine just in case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 22, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Macksy posted:

Ryzen is the dark souls of cpus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90MEIBI2iA

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm more interested in when goons / sites that don't partly(?) break NDA start reviewing them. But this kinda stands out:

quote:

"Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said.
....... BS.

There is so much hype about the platfrom right now, the aftermath will be fantastic if it sucks balls.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Kazinsal posted:

:catstare: what the gently caress

95W when all cores are loaded is absolutely a pipedream, and I wonder how reviewers will react to it, and if AMD will comment on it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

OK so I was sorta right.

Yeah that was a desperation move on their part. I think Bulldozer had some interesting ideas but it just wasn't executed properly and idea to clock it real high was a reeeaaaallly bad one (especially after they saw what happened with Netburst).

Bulldozer surprised me. I wish I knew more about the justifications for the choices made in it, and enough about chip design to understand them and why it really didn't work out. I'm reading the poo poo out of Inside the Machine by Jon Stokes, maybe that will help.

@Paul MaudDib - whoah, so with AVX a big Intel chip, overclocked, can go around 340W? Cooling them quietly must be a good challenge, holy poo poo.

I wish this and the Intel threads were merged. I'm pretty sure most of us read both threads, anyway, and there is a fair bit of parallel discussion going on.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said."

It'll be crazy unbelievable if that statement means both are stock, or both are overclocked, in typical game engines that don't care about >4 threads.
Infact, it'd be crazy unbelievable if it even matches a 7700K in either above case.

The Lord Bude posted:

If we're going to move to a single thread for intel and AMD I feel it's only right that there be a hyperthreading joke in the thread title.

And platfrom. I don't know why I care so much about that in particular.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Don't know really, but 5Ghz Kaby is plenty strong at gaming and not an unrealistic clock at all, unless you totally lose the silicon lottery.
Highly threaded engines hopefully love Zen, though. The multicore performance seems strong, we do know that.

I totally hope it's faster, even if it dents the resale value of my chip. It just seems the claims are getting more outlandish as time goes by.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

OCUK do know their stuff, I'd certainly believe what he says about it.

As a store they used to be schizophrenic with service, though. I got burned with a faulty hard drive and I still remember dammit :argh:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

But if everyone listens to sense and reason we won't get early goon reviews! Someone has to take one for the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Toalpaz posted:

I literally don't have a desktop computer atm cause mine is currently dead and broken. I'll definitely be a goon forerunner and post about my inevitable troubles and the probable failures of gen 1 Ryzen.

E: Also my sole reason for not just picking up a comparable gen 7 I5 for gaming is that I want to believe. So feel free to laugh at me later on.

Too early to know really how it is, but the ASUS Prime X370 Pro is significantly cheaper then the ROG board with the same amount of VRM phases.

If I had no PC I'd do it, gently caress it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 25, 2017

• Locked thread