Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Green Vulture posted:

If you're in the market for peelers, I'd like to recommend the Progressive Magnetic Peeler set:

Three types of peelers (straight blade, serrated blade, Y-peeler) with a magnet built into each handle, so when you're not using them, you can stick them together, making yourself a mega peeler, like so:

Handy if you're opposed to rooting around in your drawer for a peeler, plus it handles well, peels smoothly and can be had for about $10 on Amazon.

This looks dumb, sorry. Won't it stick to other metal objects in the drawer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cast iron isn't really meant for flipping. Just put it on heat and leave it.

Or, maybe he's just really strong. I can't imagine trying to flip anything w/cast iron...

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Speaking of stick blenders, can anybody recommend some nice + sturdy non-plastic beakers for mixing in? I don't like the idea of plastic leaching into my hot soup.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

logical fallacy posted:

Beakers, like the kind you'd find in a chemistry lab. They're the perfect shape for a stick blender, are very heat resistant, are designed to pour, and most of them are graduated.

Yea, I figured, but I was thinking that plastic is used due to shatter resistance?

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

How about just sticking your stick blender in the pot you're cooking your soup in

Good point, but soup was just one example ;)

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
The Ikea bowls are nice and sturdy, but drat, not having a lip on them to grab onto really makes them unusable to me.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Been reading some chatter about black/carbon steel pans. Anybody have experience with these? I love my cast iron, but seems like a nice black steel pan could replace it.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

revdrkevind posted:

Inspired by America's Test Kitcken or coincidence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

Inspired yes! Also saw an article posted on Serious Eats... You have experience with them?

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Properly seasoned carbon steel is just as nonstick as that cheap crap, and isn't going to warp, and will last a lifetime. Get carbon steel people!

Do you have a recommendation?

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
A bit late to this sharpening convo – did I miss a recommendation for a good whetstone? I have this King #1000 / #6000 stone in my amazon wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DT1X9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7DJA1J7NK1GK&coliid=I2HHTV0MOX7ZSA&psc=1

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

I guess the important question is "What are you planning to sharpen and how hard is it?"

Kings are good stones. I have an 800/4000 that's my go-to for routine sharpening and it was a great first stone once I got beyond the random-oil-stone-from-a-garage-sale phase.

Having said that... the harder the steel the slower the cutting, and the faster the stone will wear. Kings have a reputation for being particularly slow on harder steel. NBD if you only sharpen a handful of knives a few times a year. My CCK #2 gets sharp in no time, the el Cheapo stainless chinese knife takes a lot longer and there are days I'm not sure that knife is worth the effort. I'm not going to go out and spend 4x the price of the knife on a special stone to sharpen it.

Keep an eye on the stone and flatten it if it starts to get dished. This requires another stone (coarse carborundum, a lapping stone, or carborundum grit and a sheet of plate glass for the truly hopeless geek). Again, you probably don't need to worry about this for a year or two at least.

I like a bit of tooth on my knives so the fine side only gets used for a few strokes to "knock the wire edge off". The difference between 4000 or 6000 wouldn't matter for this.

Follow the instructions and soak or spritz the stone before use. This is critical. They are "water" stones, after all.

Thanks for this great reply.

I have a Global chef's knife that i've had over a decade... Any suggestions on the grit?

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, it's not so much the grit that matters, it's the abrasive material and the grit. For a Global knife, so probably around 57 HRC, any decent waterstone ought to work pretty well. I'd start with something around 800-1200 grit and finish on something around 2000-6000 grit depending on how much tooth you want in the edge. a King 800/6000 stone should work fine but it takes a lot of practice and steady hands to get a good edge out of freehand sharpening.

Alternately you can get the EP knock off which comes with some low quality stones, they will be slow cutters but they will get the job done and because this lets you hold a consistent angle you will get much better results over all. You can also buy better stones for it later on which will cut much faster and leave a better edge.

Noted! thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Recommendations on a solid kitchen scale? I don't care about aesthetics...I just want one that's going to stay precise under regular to heavy use (mostly for baking). My Woot special crapped out recently, and it wasn't even that good to begin with.

I love my Oxo: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA

• Locked thread