Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

I guess the important question is "What are you planning to sharpen and how hard is it?"

Kings are good stones. I have an 800/4000 that's my go-to for routine sharpening and it was a great first stone once I got beyond the random-oil-stone-from-a-garage-sale phase.

Having said that... the harder the steel the slower the cutting, and the faster the stone will wear. Kings have a reputation for being particularly slow on harder steel. NBD if you only sharpen a handful of knives a few times a year. My CCK #2 gets sharp in no time, the el Cheapo stainless chinese knife takes a lot longer and there are days I'm not sure that knife is worth the effort. I'm not going to go out and spend 4x the price of the knife on a special stone to sharpen it.

Keep an eye on the stone and flatten it if it starts to get dished. This requires another stone (coarse carborundum, a lapping stone, or carborundum grit and a sheet of plate glass for the truly hopeless geek). Again, you probably don't need to worry about this for a year or two at least.

I like a bit of tooth on my knives so the fine side only gets used for a few strokes to "knock the wire edge off". The difference between 4000 or 6000 wouldn't matter for this.

Follow the instructions and soak or spritz the stone before use. This is critical. They are "water" stones, after all.

Thanks for this great reply.

I have a Global chef's knife that i've had over a decade... Any suggestions on the grit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Massive posted:

Thanks for this great reply.

I have a Global chef's knife that i've had over a decade... Any suggestions on the grit?

Well, it's not so much the grit that matters, it's the abrasive material and the grit. For a Global knife, so probably around 57 HRC, any decent waterstone ought to work pretty well. I'd start with something around 800-1200 grit and finish on something around 2000-6000 grit depending on how much tooth you want in the edge. a King 800/6000 stone should work fine but it takes a lot of practice and steady hands to get a good edge out of freehand sharpening.

Alternately you can get the EP knock off which comes with some low quality stones, they will be slow cutters but they will get the job done and because this lets you hold a consistent angle you will get much better results over all. You can also buy better stones for it later on which will cut much faster and leave a better edge.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, it's not so much the grit that matters, it's the abrasive material and the grit. For a Global knife, so probably around 57 HRC, any decent waterstone ought to work pretty well. I'd start with something around 800-1200 grit and finish on something around 2000-6000 grit depending on how much tooth you want in the edge. a King 800/6000 stone should work fine but it takes a lot of practice and steady hands to get a good edge out of freehand sharpening.

Alternately you can get the EP knock off which comes with some low quality stones, they will be slow cutters but they will get the job done and because this lets you hold a consistent angle you will get much better results over all. You can also buy better stones for it later on which will cut much faster and leave a better edge.

Noted! thanks :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

do this

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Pull throughs are garbage.

drat near anything is better than a pull through. The edge quality and longevity is poor, and the rate at which they take metal off is high. Those two characteristics together are a lovely combination. You're better off finding a sort of flat rock and rub your knife on it instead.

Massive posted:

A bit late to this sharpening convo – did I miss a recommendation for a good whetstone? I have this King #1000 / #6000 stone in my amazon wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DT1X9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7DJA1J7NK1GK&coliid=I2HHTV0MOX7ZSA&psc=1

The King 1000/6000 is one of the most common beginner waterstones. Murray Carter is a proponent of the King 1000 and 6000, although he seems to use the separate stones in his videos, not the combo stone.

As a side note, Dave Martell doesn't like the King 1000, but likes the 800 and 1200 much more.

I just got a 800/6000 delivered today. I got it just to keep a cheapo around at work so I tried it out on a knife there - an old thrift store bought Ekco - and it worked fine and in a pretty short amount of time. 800 side developed some mud, 6000 just made swarf. For only $30 shipped, I'd say it's a good inexpensive beginner waterstone.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Pull throughs aren't garbage they're just for people who don't care to learn about knife sharpening, or who don't want to spend the time to do it right. It's great that we love to sperg here about longevity and sharpness and stuff but lots of people just have better things to do with their time. You can't do every single thing in life the 'proper' way, there just enough time in each day.

And you can point to those pictures as some sort of proof that the edge is sharper but the only metric most people really give a poo poo about is whether their knife is good enough to outweigh whatever frustration it brings with it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

the littlest prince posted:

Pull throughs aren't garbage they're just for people who don't care to learn about knife sharpening, or who don't want to spend the time to do it right. It's great that we love to sperg here about longevity and sharpness and stuff but lots of people just have better things to do with their time. You can't do every single thing in life the 'proper' way, there just enough time in each day.

And you can point to those pictures as some sort of proof that the edge is sharper but the only metric most people really give a poo poo about is whether their knife is good enough to outweigh whatever frustration it brings with it.

If you only care about technically good enough to get the job done, why are you posting in a cooking enthusiast forum?

Most people don't care enough to ever sharpen their knife, ever. They just get a new one when it gets unbearably dull. Does that mean it's a method we should recommend?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nah, they're garbage. They don't sharpen well, which is their intended purpose, and they damage the blade. That's garbage.

It may be the case that you don't give a poo poo. And you know, whatever. But that's not an argument that they're not garbage, it's an argument that you don't give a poo poo that they're garbage.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah pretty sure anything that is supposed to make something better but actually makes it worse and/or ruins it is the definition of garbage

like if a company sold a service to make your garage door easier to get into, and after you paid them, they rammed a SUV through the garage door and were like 'ok you can get in better now!' - yeah technically they accomplished the goal but did it in a ruinous way and I'd be like 'this company is garbage don't use them'.

gently caress it man though, who has time for waiting for your garage door to open, folks got better poo poo to do with their time

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

You are wrong, go away. Do not post in this thread again with your wrong information, seriously don't do it.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I worked on a boat that had a knife set in a block with built-in pull-through sharpeners. Every time you pulled a knife out of the block it was dragged across the pull-through. The "sharpening" was worse than a coarse file. drat things weren't even any good for cutting rope.

Better to throw them out and get new ones or invest in a wet rock.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If someone (me) had used a pull through sharpener a few times, could they "fix" it with a whetstone? I only used it a few times on a couple of my knives, definitely less than 5 times on both, it just doesn't seem to do anything so I bought a whetstone on amazon.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

sharktamer posted:

If someone (me) had used a pull through sharpener a few times, could they "fix" it with a whetstone? I only used it a few times on a couple of my knives, definitely less than 5 times on both, it just doesn't seem to do anything so I bought a whetstone on amazon.

Yeah, absolutely, you just need to create a new edge (which is essentially what sharpening is). Use the whetstone as normal and it'll come to a beautiful edge.

Pull-through sharpeners won't destroy your knife right away, but using them repeatedly will eat through the metal at a fairly rapid rate. It's just a lovely edge, though, nothing catastrophic.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Ah that's good to hear. It's 400/1000 which seems to be different to what people are suggesting but I'd imagine it's all good the same.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Take the time to do it right, or find the time to do it over.

A regular home cook could probably dedicate 10 minutes or less per month to sharpen a knife properly. Yes, if you want to, you can go loving crazy and take the time to put an obscenely refined edge on a knife, but it's not necessary to go that far to get a good, sharp edge that functions well. Nor do you need a bunch of fancy and expensive sharpening gear. Hell, the time you spend sharpening can probably be made up for by a properly sharpened knife being more efficient and faster doing its work.

What do you mean by this? "And you can point to those pictures as some sort of proof that the edge is sharper..." Those pictures are proof that the edge is sharper than what?

sharktamer posted:

There are not that many things that are completely beyond repair. Sure, maybe you took a bit of life off the knife quicker than you would have otherwise, but it's okay; knives are slowly worn away even if you maintain them properly.

sharktamer posted:

Ah that's good to hear. It's 400/1000 which seems to be different to what people are suggesting but I'd imagine it's all good the same.

If this is a Japanese style water stone then keep in mind the coarser grits will tend to wear faster than higher grit. Grit size is not necessarily identical across different brands, too. You'll probably only need to use the 400 side rarely compared to the 1000. With a bit of practice it'll be more than enough to get a nice, sharp edge.

Since one thing you can't do is put steel back on that you've already abraded away, if you have doubts don't just blindly charge ahead. Take some time to stop, do some research, ask some questions - but at the same time, be careful of the answers you may get. Though not necessarily given with ill intent, there is a shitload of bad advice floating around on the net. So maybe more importantly, observe what's happening and think about it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I'm finally caving and buying a real food processor after getting a Ninja Kitchen System as a gift and realizing how terrible it is at anything other than blending.

What's the go-to these days? Looking to spend under $100, and I don't really need anything big since I'll never be cooking for more than two people. Something to make pesto, hummus, nut butters, etc...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

emotive posted:

I'm finally caving and buying a real food processor after getting a Ninja Kitchen System as a gift and realizing how terrible it is at anything other than blending.

What's the go-to these days? Looking to spend under $100, and I don't really need anything big since I'll never be cooking for more than two people. Something to make pesto, hummus, nut butters, etc...

I've never been disappointed by Cuisinart. Here's a 7 cup model (which is probably the right size for you), for $63. They have other 7 cup models that are closer to 100, but I don't know what makes them different.

http://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Collection-Processor-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B00NDK550O/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I got this one http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-10SBC-Classic-Processor-Brushed/dp/B007D3URMS/

The Sweethome's pick was the 10-cup model of this, but I just cook for myself mostly so the 7-cup is fine. Get it at Bed Bath & Beyond -- they have it for $99, plus they always have 20% coupons. Definitely a deal for $80.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Cool. I'll check them out. Thanks guys!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

emotive posted:

Cool. I'll check them out. Thanks guys!

If you need to save a few bucks, check a local thrift shop for them if you can. I found an older model for ~$25, it's not as pretty (beige plastic base instead of the brushed chrome base) but there is nothing functionally wrong with it.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You are wrong, go away. Do not post in this thread again with your wrong information, seriously don't do it.

Overreact much?

I guess I should say I agree that most pull throughs are garbage, but not all. America's Test Kitchen did a segment on them and a couple were alright, though most were probably really bad.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ATK != actual good advice

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

I've swapped out a really old traditional honing steel for a new ceramic rod. How often should I be using this thing? I know on the honing steel it's really only to bring the edge back into alignment, so pretty much every use... but since this is effectively "mini-sharpening" (right? :ohdear:) I would expect to use it less often?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Overreact much?

I guess I should say I agree that most pull throughs are garbage, but not all. America's Test Kitchen did a segment on them and a couple were alright, though most were probably really bad.

Americas Test Kitchen, LOL

All pull through knife sharpeners are garbage. Every single one of them. They don't grind away metal, they shear it, giving you a lovely edge that only seems sharp because of micro serrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Americas Test Kitchen, LOL

All pull through knife sharpeners are garbage. Every single one of them. They don't grind away metal, they shear it, giving you a lovely edge that only seems sharp because of micro serrations.

So you're saying my only good option with my Victorinox is to send them in for sharpening if I don't have the time to learn how to sharpen using a grind stone properly.

I think it's similarly cost effective to just buy a new one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pull-through sharpeners are like giving clean needles to drug addicts. Sure, the best advice is to stop using drugs but in reality most drug users aren't going to take that advice so you do the next best thing

Most home cooks aren't going to get an edge pro or spyderco or sharpening stone because it looks like too much work. A pull-through is literally 5 seconds of work which is a bar you can reasonably expect an average home cook to be able to deal with.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rurutia posted:

So you're saying my only good option with my Victorinox is to send them in for sharpening if I don't have the time to learn how to sharpen using a grind stone properly.

An edgepro knockoff is about the same price as ATK's "good" pull through (in their videos they use incorrect terminology, which says a lot imo.) If even that's too much work, yeah, buy a new one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A sharpening for an 8" kitchen knife should only be like $6-8

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

With shipping?

Mr. Wookums posted:

An edgepro knockoff is about the same price as ATK's "good" pull through (in their videos they use incorrect terminology, which says a lot imo.) If even that's too much work, yeah, buy a new one.

Can you link to one? I googled a bit but curious about a recommendation.

edit I don't even use a pull through. My knives are really well maintained and I haven't needed to sharpen them yet. I'm just amused by the amount of anger and emotion people have about this.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 28, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Right, and as long as you hone it with the steel rod at least once a week (and take good care of your knives!!!), you should only need a real sharpening once a a year or so.
This is what I do, since I'm too lazy to use the stone. A proper honing takes a minute, tops.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I hone mine every time I use it since I've seen that recommendation before... should I not? Only using a Victorinox.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Since honing doesn't really remove any metal, go hog wild.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

emotive posted:

I hone mine every time I use it since I've seen that recommendation before... should I not? Only using a Victorinox.

Yes you're fine honing it before each use.

Rurutia, why ship it anywhere? Just google local knife sharpeners, there are like five in my area alone. If there are any snooty high-end cookware/specialty food shops they may do it too, that's who did mine last time.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Yes you're fine honing it before each use.

Rurutia, why ship it anywhere? Just google local knife sharpeners, there are like five in my area alone. If there are any snooty high-end cookware/specialty food shops they may do it too, that's who did mine last time.

There weren't any last I checked (a year ago). But a Sur la Table just opened so maybe.

I mentioned the shipping mostly cause my mom has Shuns that come with free sharpening except you pay for shipping which was atrocious when we checked.

I actually personally own 4 chefs knives (3 victorinox, and one shun, I just kept buying them when I saw them on sale) because I've been delaying figuring out the sharpening. If the EdgePro knockoff is reliable and approved, I might go for that.

If that doesn't work out I'll probably eventually break and just learn how to do it with a stone. But I really want to graduate sometime this decade and the little prince's comment really resonated with that. v:shobon:v

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rurutia posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABVS5VY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Is this actually a recommendation? Have you used it? I was just asking, if you didn't have one to recommend, it's not a big deal. I saw this when I looked for one earlier and I asked because I couldn't find one that was well liked.

http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-...howViewpoints=0

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I bought it but haven't needed to sharpen anything in some time (was out of country). I did a quick inspection when it arrived and I didn't see anything outrageously flawed as the single stars indicate. If I need to level the stones that's no biggy, you need to do that before every whetstone use anyway and I'd just use my diamond "stone". I will say the lack of a clamp for the knife is a bit of a bummer and I cannot mount my diamond stone, but nbd. Other goons have used it without the poor experiences.

/e-

One of the reviews points to http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...I+With+4+Stones instead

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 28, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mr. Wookums posted:

I bought it but haven't needed to sharpen anything in some time (was out of country). I did a quick inspection when it arrived and I didn't see anything outrageously flawed as the single stars indicate. If I need to level the stones that's no biggy, you need to do that before every whetstone use anyway and I'd just use my diamond "stone". I will say the lack of a clamp for the knife is a bit of a bummer and I cannot mount my diamond stone, but nbd. Other goons have used it without the poor experiences.

/e-

One of the reviews points to http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...I+With+4+Stones instead

I had that one, it's worse, the ball joint that holds the table becomes lose after a while and no amount of tightening will get it to stay up properly again after that. This is actually why I recommend the other one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There have to be knife sharpening services, even if it's not listed in the yellow pages. Almost any knife shop that sells knives will have sharpening services. Often times key duplicators will also sharpen knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Rurutia posted:

Some people have knives that cost more than a Victorinox Fibrox. Maybe others have knives that have sentimental value to them.

If you want to buy a new knife instead of sharpening it then donate it to a thrift shop or something. I'd love it if I found a dull, but otherwise perfectly good Victorinox in a thrift shop for $5 or something.

Rurutia posted:

With shipping?

edit I don't even use a pull through. My knives are really well maintained and I haven't needed to sharpen them yet. I'm just amused by the amount of anger and emotion people have about this.

I don't know about anger, but maybe people who don't sharpen shouldn't give out lovely and incorrect advice about the topic.

Rurutia posted:

There weren't any last I checked (a year ago). But a Sur la Table just opened so maybe.

I mentioned the shipping mostly cause my mom has Shuns that come with free sharpening except you pay for shipping which was atrocious when we checked.

I actually personally own 4 chefs knives (3 victorinox, and one shun, I just kept buying them when I saw them on sale) because I've been delaying figuring out the sharpening. If the EdgePro knockoff is reliable and approved, I might go for that.

If that doesn't work out I'll probably eventually break and just learn how to do it with a stone. But I really want to graduate sometime this decade and the little prince's comment really resonated with that. v:shobon:v

So you won't be able to graduate sometime this decade if you try to figure out how to rub a knife on a rock, but you can spend time talking arguing about it on a forum? You and everyone else can spend your free time however you prefer, but the time is there. Learning basic sharpening, which will give you an edge way better than you'll get from an Accusharp, is not that time consuming or costly.

• Locked thread