Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

You guys made me want to reach over to my arm and feel where my Nexplanon is. :gonk: It's still there, right where it's supposed to be, phew.

It's still working out great for me, and I even managed to lose some weight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

The Snoo posted:

My nexplanon slid way the gently caress down my arm within the first few weeks of having it (I can see/feel one end but it's moved completely from its original position) and I'm not looking forward to having it removed in ~2 years. :mad:

Ouch. I just got mine two weeks ago and it's still where it's supposed to be, but now all these stories are making me nervous O.o

Also, speaking of Nexplanon, how's y'all's periods on it? I got really light periods on the pill (desogestrel) and I started one the day of the insertion of the Nexplanon, which still hasn't stopped 12 days later. Is that normal?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I think it's different for everyone but mine disappeared after ~6 months of light spotting occasionally, it's so nice.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Yeah, when I had my first one put in, I didn't get my period for three months, which led me into a false sense of security that maybe I'd be lucky and my period would go away completely. Nope! All of a sudden, I started getting my period in full every two weeks, sometimes more, sometimes less. On the "less" months, I may go four weeks without a period but then l get it for two weeks. Oh, and as soon as I started getting my period again, I gained weight like crazy. Wheeee!

Still better than getting a migraine every other day on a combined pill.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Nexplanon was awful and I think it may have temporarily hosed up my metabolism because I started gaining weight on it and now I'm on calorie reduction and running every day and I'm still loving gaining weight. Everyone I know who has it has had their periods disappear and not had weight gain, and I feel like I lost Birth Control: The Competition.

I just want to not have basically a stomach flu for 2-3 days every month. I said this to my mom and she told me she had the same problems, but they went away after her first pregnancy (with me), so she must have transferred them to me via witchcraft and I'm going to have to get pregnant to pass along this curse.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Eponine posted:

?
Nexplanon was awful and I think it may have temporarily hosed up my metabolism because I started gaining weight on it and now I'm on calorie reduction and running every day and I'm still loving gaining weight. Everyone I know who has it has had their periods disappear and not had weight gain, and I feel like I lost Birth Control: The Competition.

I just want to not have basically a stomach flu for 2-3 days every month. I said this to my mom and she told me she had the same problems, but they went away after her first pregnancy (with me), so she must have transferred them to me via witchcraft and I'm going to have to get pregnant to pass along this curse.

Wrt the weight gain, have you had your doctors look into possible thyroid issues at all?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I've already had thyroid issues predating birth control and with medication, my thyroid stuff is apparently good. Maybe it's water?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Anoulie posted:

Ouch. I just got mine two weeks ago and it's still where it's supposed to be, but now all these stories are making me nervous O.o

Also, speaking of Nexplanon, how's y'all's periods on it? I got really light periods on the pill (desogestrel) and I started one the day of the insertion of the Nexplanon, which still hasn't stopped 12 days later. Is that normal?

Mine are light, but random, and sometimes seem to last for longer than 5 days, but I've never actually counted.

They also like to show up during or right after sex, so that's always fun. It's like my uterus is punishing me for not getting pregnant... Spiteful thing.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I did it. Two years after posting in this thread, I finally did it.
I went into the clinic today and, after a surprise anxiety attack, told my doctor that I wanted to get a tubal. She was very supportive, told me that she's been having more women ask/talk about it and as long as I was sure, she was more than happy to help. She was writing up a referral letter for me this afternoon and now I'm just waiting on a phone call from the gynecologist's office.
I had to call my husband and babble at him to keep from bursting into confused tears on the walk home. Yay for having issues!
I have to thank the thread for being one of the voices of reason for me as I worked up the confidence to even ask about this. So yeah. Thanks thread! Wish me luck.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Canadian Bakin posted:

I went into the clinic today and, after a surprise anxiety attack, told my doctor that I wanted to get a tubal. She was very supportive, told me that she's been having more women ask/talk about it and as long as I was sure, she was more than happy to help. She was writing up a referral letter for me this afternoon and now I'm just waiting on a phone call from the gynecologist's office.
I had to call my husband and babble at him to keep from bursting into confused tears on the walk home. Yay for having issues!
I have to thank the thread for being one of the voices of reason for me as I worked up the confidence to even ask about this. So yeah. Thanks thread! Wish me luck.

:glomp: Good luck! I'm beginning the (multi-year..) process of working myself up to ask my doctor about a tubal. I'm a year in on my second Mirena, though, so I'll probably ride this one out another 3 or 4 years. I will probably have your same reaction!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Canadian Bakin posted:

Welcome to the best club.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Is there a tears of joy smiley?
Aceofblue, I'd say it was a walk in the park but I'd be lying through my teeth. My doctor was awesome, but my brain was a shitbag and I spent the entire time in the waiting room twitching and sweating. Take relaxing music, count to a billion, whatever you gotta do. And then yeah, phone up whoever you need to after and blather like an idiot with joy and excess adrenaline. :D
Scudworth, thanks. A million thanks. I've had your PM sitting in my inbox all this time and I'd go read it occasionally. It was my little motivator.
I can't wait for that phone call.
Oh god, maybe I should be asking for more lorazepam for that appointment. :ohdear:

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Hey thread! Super excited for y'all getting your tubes did!
My GP is awesome and was OUTRAGED when I told her how many gynos dismiss me wanting no babies ever. She called her own gyno then and there and asked her to consult me. Hero!
The gyno was a little condescending about me getting it done (I'm 26 with no babies), but she said she respects my choices and she agreed to de-tube me. I guess they take out the entire tube now rather than cauterizing - something about reducing ovarian cancer risk.
I got a salpingectomy about 2 months ago. The hardest part was the self-doubt before the procedure (I had crazy urges to have SEVENTY BABIES NOW, prob because boyfriend isn't stoked about me being sterile but #mybodymychoice, fucker) but now I am soooo happy with myself. I only have 3 little scars. Recovery was pretty easy, except I found out I'm allergic to chlorhexadine, a sanitizing solution they rubbed all over my abdomen. That wasn't so bad. They glue you back together now instead of using stitches, which is rad as gently caress.
Would be more than happy to field any questions!
With insurance, I end up owing ~$530.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm seeing a new gyno (that my GP rec'd so I trust her word) in 4 weeks and having my Mirena taken out 10 months early. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but I haven't had sex in over 3 years and it's just not worth the bad skin and sideburns and lady stache anymore. I feel like those things would be easier to handle if I could be like "look at all this baby free sex I am having!!!"

I'm going ask to go back on LoOvral 28, which I took for 10 years with only good side effects. And since no sex, I guess I don't need to be worried about the weight contraindication anymore.

I'm pretty nervous about getting it out, though. I know out is supposed to be easier than in but I've already convinced myself the strings are gone and the IUD is up by my brain now.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
Fear not the removal! Thanks to rejection and accidental removal (oops) I've been through about 6 placements and removals at this point. The removal is nowhere near as bad as insertion. Do you know the feeling when you use a tampon and it's not quite saturated so it's cringey to remove? The IUD coming out isn't even that bad.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

MockTurtle posted:

Do you know the feeling when you use a tampon and it's not quite saturated so it's cringey to remove?
I haven't had this happen for like 9 years and I still cringed

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
It's like nails on a chalkboard in your vagina!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ok I've been doing research and it seems like a lot of birth control methods effect sex drive, but IUDs don't seem to? correct me if im wrong

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Kanine posted:

ok I've been doing research and it seems like a lot of birth control methods effect sex drive, but IUDs don't seem to? correct me if im wrong

It depends. The hormonal IUDs (Mirena and Skyla) can because they're hormones. The copper IUD (Paragard) doesn't have any hormones that would affect your libido directly, but it has other side effects that can - cramps and other things that can affect your mood and make you want sex less (or more) for non-hormonal reasons.

Basically all birth control (except of course condoms etc) will affect you in SOME way, but the effects and degree to which they affect you vary wildly from person to person.

FWIW, I've got a Mirena and have little to no change in libido from when I wasn't on anything hormonal. But YMMV.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

MockTurtle posted:

Fear not the removal! Thanks to rejection and accidental removal (oops) I've been through about 6 placements and removals at this point. The removal is nowhere near as bad as insertion. Do you know the feeling when you use a tampon and it's not quite saturated so it's cringey to remove? The IUD coming out isn't even that bad.

Thank you for the reassurance! I know several ladies with IUDs but they all got theirs in the last year or so, so no one is at removal stage.

I'm excited for better skin again. My sex life... is complicated and it's affected my self esteem so I am hoping that no longer having puberty skin might give me a boost.

Kanine posted:

I never knew the pill had really affected m sex drive, I always felt it was normal but then I got my IUD and I was a HornDog5000.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

my sister just had her first contraceptive injection and is wondering if it's usual to have side effects immediately / the day after? i would assume it is, since you're getting a huge dose of hormones, but wanted to double check before i tell her

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

After five years of paragard, I got it removed earlier this month.

I kept hoping the cramps would go down in intensity. Taking vit e daily helped for a while, but even then the breakthrough pain was terrible. I'd have a day or two every month where I just didn't really do anything, even with ibuprofen or aleve, and I'd have cramps (generally ok with meds) for a few days leaving up to it.

Today I realized I was bleeding, but with zero pain. ZERO! I'm so happy.

I wanted to love paragard, I really did. 10 years of birth control, sans hormones? How could that be bad? But gosh, the pain. I would bring it up everytime I had an obgyn appointment, but I just felt like I was never taken seriously about it at all. Then again, I don't know what they could've done/said that would've made me feel better. After listening to me go through the pain of it every month, my spouse was finally like "just get it removed, jfc" so I did.

now, to not get pregnant.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Gnossiennes posted:

but even then the breakthrough pain was terrible.

I'm looking forward to this. I've had a whole week of terrible phantom cramps. And like for the last year I feel like I'm always having near daily twinges. Like, the IUD is great, I technically love it. I recommend women look into it. I think wider spread use will lead to significant drops in unintended pregnancies.

I'm bitter about mine because of what happened to my sex life. It's not the Mirena's fault, but I'm like "these 4+ years of phantom cramps, acne, and facial hair are not worth it in the face of not getting to have all that carefree sex I wanted to".

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

My 5 years was up so I got my Mirena replaced this past week. I never had a period other than a day of spotting once every 6 months or so. I LOVED IT. My doctor encouraged me to replace it with Skyla due to it being smaller and less hormones. I was hesitant since I did so well with Mirena and I didn't want to take a chance on getting periods again. She assured me if I didn't have periods on Mirena then I wouldn't have them on Skyla since it's the same type of hormone. I really hope she's right!

When I got Mirena put in the first time I swore to god id never do it again. It was the most painful experience of my life. I blacked out, sweated through my clothes, moaned, cried, etc. And I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Well, after 5 years you convince yourself it's worth it to do it again. I told her my reaction last time so she numbed me. I thought this meant it wouldn't hurt. WRONG. Just as bad if not worse than last time. Severe pain lasted about an hour and a half. It's been 4 days and now it's just random mild pain. No bleeding since insertion. Feeling good again. Worth it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
IUD free now. The strings of course were MIA because nothing in my life goes smoothly, but she was able to hook it with... something. The actual removal I didn't even feel (she made me cough hard) but the 10 minutes of rooting around for it was not the best way I've spent a morning. Still not as bad as the insertion.

She gave me 3 months of Mircette (which was all 100% free, Thanks Obama!) and told me my GP could do my follow up paps/pills. Which is good since my GP's copay is way less than a gyno's. I wanted to go back to Lo Ovral 28 since that's what I took for 10 years but apparently I am just so drat old now (33) the pill is gettin' risky.

The emotional fallout has been more than I expected. Just a sort of concrete reminder that my sex life is over for the foreseeable future.

Here's hoping my skin clears up!

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I'm going through a lovely IUD period right now - I'm guessing from reading the last few entries that it might not stop hurting each period. I'm maybe ok with that, but for those who have pain on their period: was it more generalized cramping or very acute? Almost 99% of the pain is in the exact same area every time (which was the main cramping spot after insertion). I don't know if it's cause for major concern or something that is relatively 'normal'.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I'm in month 3 of my Mirena IUD. For those of you that have one, how long did it take for your periods to slow down/stop completely? Mine seem to have gotten worse. Not heavier, but they last longer with slow flow and spotting. That, and the cramps are far worse. If it matters: 35, no kids, generally a regular period that lasts 4-5 days before Mirena, now lasting 7-10 days with Mirena. Also still have occasional spotting randomly during the rest of the month.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Mouse Dresser posted:

I'm in month 3 of my Mirena IUD. For those of you that have one, how long did it take for your periods to slow down/stop completely? Mine seem to have gotten worse. Not heavier, but they last longer with slow flow and spotting. That, and the cramps are far worse. If it matters: 35, no kids, generally a regular period that lasts 4-5 days before Mirena, now lasting 7-10 days with Mirena. Also still have occasional spotting randomly during the rest of the month.

I got mine in March and at this point I get about four days of spotting every six weeks ish. But it's pretty random and I get occasional spotting throughout the rest of the time too. It has been less and less every month since March, though. My cramps have completely gone away. It sounds like we've reacted to it pretty differently.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Mouse Dresser posted:

Mine took about 6 months then I stopped having periods :D

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I was told to expect 6-8 weeks of spotting and/or period type events.

I had mine inserted June 20, 2012 and had very light spotting for 2 weeks post insertion and then I had a 5 day, heavier than a period I got on the pill period. Then... radio silence until this past February. The I had 2-3 day spotting events about every 35 days and then the week before I had it removed I had about a 6 day thing that was little more than spotting but still very light.

Bear in mind only about 20% of women with Mirena experience amenorrhea at all. And every experience is so different for each woman.

In related news: gently caress this post removal spotting. I was hoping going right back onto a combo pill would help but no. My uterus is jonesing for its direct progesterone hit.

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

Mouse Dresser posted:

I had one half period the month I got the IUD, and three months of 2-3 days spotting the year after. However, I was also on the pill for 10 years, which may have helped.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I've had my nexplanon for a little over a year and I started spotting and cramping today :argh: gently caress

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

've had my Jaydess since the end of June and I am getting it taken out. Daily cramps which actually effect my ability to walk (right leg gets weak - nerves), pain so bad I end up on the floor screaming. I had an ultrasound done to see if maybe the positioning was off but the doctor says it's in the right position.

I'm more upset about the fact this failed then I am about the pain. This was the perfect solution for me and it loving sucks that I can't handle what it's doing.

Back to the drawing board. :smith:

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
I just had my Mirena replaced. I was super hesitant to have it done by my regular doctor, and not by a gynecologist because of my retroverted uterus. My first insertion 5 years ago was a real hassle, it took two doctors, forty minutes, and a truly unpleasant vasovagal response. This time went SO much better - it took about 10 minutes pants off to pants on. The only bad part was the strings had curled up into the cervix, and the doctor thought she was straightening them out in order to remove the IUD, but surprise! She pulled on them and the IUD came out and it shocked everyone involved. It felt like I'd been shanked in the cervix, but I recovered pretty well. Aside from some low back pain and a bit of spotting, I'm feeling great.

I'm really hoping the spotting I was starting to regularly get in the last few months will sod off again.

Also, looking at your old IUD is a bit gross, but weirdly fascinating.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Christabel posted:

Also, looking at your old IUD is a bit gross, but weirdly fascinating.

I wanted to see it SO BADLY but she wouldn't let me and threw it in the Biohazard bin. I was like "BUT ITS MINE TO GANDER AT"

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Geolicious posted:

I wanted to see it SO BADLY but she wouldn't let me and threw it in the Biohazard bin. I was like "BUT ITS MINE TO GANDER AT"

Yeah, I was expecting barnacles or something. Like an anchor that's been in the ocean for years.

It was just a gross colour and looked a bit sad. Even the strings were a brownish colour.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When they took out my last Nexplanon (or Implanon?), it was encapsulated, aka basically completely coated in barnacles. They just make a cut in the barnacles and pull out the implant, leaving the encapsulation there, so it wasn't super interesting to look at.

I get a new one this spring, will report back!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Went to my gyno today to ask about getting an IUD because I won't have insurance after the end of the month and she told me that because I haven't had kids it would be too painful and I shouldn't even consider it. Is this bullshit because it sounds like some bullshit.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Radio! posted:

Went to my gyno today to ask about getting an IUD because I won't have insurance after the end of the month and she told me that because I haven't had kids it would be too painful and I shouldn't even consider it. Is this bullshit because it sounds like some bullshit.

it is total bullshit, but if your gyno told you that then you shouldn't get an IUD from them anyway because they won't know what they're doing and will almost certainly gently caress it up
find another doctor who is more used to doing them

I got my Mirena put in by a very nice doctor who does several a week and it was totally fine, no kid-having necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it would definitely be uncomfortable but it shouldn't be a problem other than that. http://plannedparenthood.tumblr.com/post/43239326069/can-i-get-an-iud-if-i-havent-had-a-child etc.

good luck, I hope you can get one ASAP. :)

• Locked thread