Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
An (almost) 6 months user of Implanon checking in here. I had it put in back in July, had one period in August, and other than spotting, that's really been it. The one thing that I've noticed, however, is the increasing intensity of headaches at the back of my head. Has anyone else had that problem? Other than that, I've not had any issues whatsoever. I'm rather happy with being baby-free for 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, when my OBGYN tried to even prep me for the Mirena, my cervix clamped down so much that even a nitroglycerin tablet didn't relax it long enough to try and get one of the rods up in there. It hurts thinking about it, hah.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
There's also the implanon, which is right around the same price as the Mirena and is a great second option if you have issues attempting to get the Mirena as I did.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
If you're worried about the IUD, the implanon is a great alternative. I've had it for about 6 months, and other than headaches that may or may not be related, it's been pretty wonderful. I haven't had a full on period since August.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Soo...in the process of losing weight (Yay!), my implanon and hormones have decided to whack out on me! Ugh. The NP put me on Premarin to see if that ends up fixing it, but I'm concerned that as I get closer and closer to a healthy size, my implanon is going to continue loving up. Is there anything I can do, other than keep checking in with the NP that placed my implanon?

Gah, gently caress you, uterus. The implanon was supposed to fix you!

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
2 full-on, needing tampon periods in less than 3 weeks. After going a year with just slight spotting.

The NP seems to think that my body is yelling at me that it needs more estrogen, hence the Premarin.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007

fork bomb posted:

TBH, that just sounds like you're experiencing the common side effect of Implanon: ~irregular bleeding~ and your weight issues are probably playing into this less than you think. Anecdotally, I also have Implanon and have experienced some hosed up menstruation, including 2 full periods within a month. I've also bled for 3 weeks straight. >.< For me, the mental reassurance of the pregnancy-free insurance that Implanon has provided has been worth it (doesn't mean that I enjoy it though!) so I've dealt.

Please post an update on the Premarin (is this a low-dose pill?)

I just noticed this, oops. It's a very low-dose pill, .3mg. I bled for the first week and half like crazy, and then I woke up yesterday and it had pretty much stopped. Considering how badly estrogen has effected me in the past, ie spiking up the pressure in my spinal fluid causing massive migraines a few years ago, it didn't surprise me that the lack there of might also cause issues. I could be totally off about it, though. I do go in for my annual on Wednesday, so I'll check in with the NP again. I still have about a week to go on the Premarin, but it seems to have worked.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
I had a little baby period last week. I guess I'll just be getting periods from now on, and the good thing is that they are nowhere near as heavy and draining as the ones Pre-Implanon. And I'm not gaining weight from it, so yay. :D

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Ahahaha, I thought all of my implanon problems were gone. I started yet another period this morning. I'll call the NP tomorrow, and she can try her other method of getting this hormone mess fixed.

It's really a shame that the doctor wasn't able to get my cervix to cooperate for the Mirena. I'd certainly like to think that maybe I wouldn't be having to deal with all this nonsense---It certainly isn't helping my anemic tendencies at all.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
I've had 3 periods in the last month.

I started another one tonight, with all the cramping I used to get.

I'm hoping that the NP figures out something else, because I'm at my wit's end. I'm still anemic, and this does not help at all.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Well, after a year and a half of having the implanon, it's coming out. :( I've had huge issues with it, and the NP's exhausted all of her ideas on how to get it working correctly again. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I'm consistently getting bleeding that's not normal spotting---I had that with Seasonique, and could deal. But I can not handle having two period-heavy flows in a month, especially with how difficult it is already to keep my iron up.

I think that I'm going to go back to the Nuvaring, if I can, given the migraine auras I get.

poo poo.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
How concerned should I be about having two visual migraine auras since switching to Nuvaring from the Implanon? I've had them off and on for about seven years, but it's been a really long time since I've had two within a three week period.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Will do. The office isn't open today, but Monday I'll ring them up.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
My bleeding got out of control, which didn't get better with any of the methods the np attempted. I really want to try the mirena, but my cervix was too tight/stubborn.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Just wanted to thank you all for telling me to take out the nuvaring. I feel relatively back to normal. I let the NP know that I'm taking a month off of hormones to get myself reset and then I'm going to the women's clinic to have someone who specifically deals with bc work with me and figure something out. That being said, is there something that the doctor could do/prescribe to make the insertion of the Mirena possible? That was the first thing I was going to try, but they couldn't even get my cervix opened far enough to sound it.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
I had no idea they could numb me. When they tried the insertion the first time, they resorted to a nitroglycerin tablet to attempt to get my cervix to spasm, and it did not work the way they had hoped. The NP emailed me back and seemed to think that it wasn't the best choice I have available. As much as she has been helpful during my issues with the implanon, I think I want to see someone else about it from now on.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, my biggest issue with the implanon was that I was having regular flow periods at least twice a month for 6 months. But give it time, yours may reregulate itself. If it does, call your gp or the provider who put it in and see what they might be able to do to help get it back in sync.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
So, I've been two months without BC, and I hate it. I am not a fan of bleeding this much, nor the estrogen running rampant and causing my joints to hurt/be more injury prone. When I was younger, it was the only reason that the doctor could come up with for my hip dislocating at 15. I want to switch to the OB/GYN clinic through my hospital, and try to get the Mirena again, but I'm not exactly sure how? I guess, with the failed Mirena insertion a couple of years ago.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Aura migraines, unfortunately. I started having them again when I had to have my implanon out and switched to nuvaring.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Well, after giving myself a couple of months off of hormones, called the university hospital's obgyn practice to get scheduled for a Mirena consult and hopefully get one inserted. Here's to hoping that the second attempt works. I will be asking for a numbing spray.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Well, I went to the gyno this morning to talk about trying the Mirena again, and walked out with one placed! :D Cervix sounded just fine, and everything was done in about 15 minutes. The worst part was the numbing shot, but considering the pain he last time I attempted to get an IUD, it was worth it. Curled up with my heating pad until I have to work later on today. Just wanted to tell everyone thanks. I'm glad that I went with my gut and got a second opinion. Pretty sure I'm going to keep going to this doctor for anything reproductive related from now on.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007

Geolicious posted:

The cervix I presume. I didn't get an injection. But I did get some Hurricaine spray straight to the cervix.

Yep! Got the shot, waited a couple of minutes and was then sounded. I was surprised at the quick turnaround too. But they had them in stock, and she was extremely experienced in placing them. A drat good thing too--turns out my uterus is retroverted.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
I guess I have a follow up question now. Did anyone else have crazy bad cramps a couple of days after IUD insertion? Generally I can handle period cramps, but I had to call into work for these. I checked my strings, everything seems to still be in place and I'm not really bleeding at all. Hoping that this goes away in a couple of hours. I did go to the gym yesterday and lift, so I wonder if I just overdid it.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Checking in a week later, and other than the random cramping, the Mirena is going well so far. In the middle of my first period, which has been crampier than normal, but nothing too crazy. The strings were left a bit too long, but those will get trimmed up in June.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Those that have the Mirena: Did you notice a tendency to have a bit of spotting/breakthrough bleeding after working out for the first few weeks after insertion? Admittedly, I lift somewhat heavy, but it's been interesting to experience it directly after working out. Considering everything else, this is nothing, but I tend to overworry.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
At what point do daily cramps become something that needs to be addressed? I've been riding it out so far, because the Mirena is a fantastic method, but getting hit with deep, takes my breath away for a second, cramps on a relatively daily basis is a bit odd. I'm using a heating pad and naproxen, but it doesn't seem to touch it much.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007

Geolicious posted:

So you got yours about 4 weeks ago?

I was experiencing spasms and and cramps almost daily for maybe a monthish. The deep take your breath kind started later for me and they have mostly sorted out to only happening around my "period".

But, in my opinion, nothing is too silly to call you doc about if it's a concern. Peace of mind is a very valuable thing to have.

And, on a more anecdotal note, naproxen never touched my cramps either. Ibu or nothing for those is what works for me. Naproxen only helps me with joint pain.

I....didn't know that about the Naproxen. I guess I'll get some ibuprofen. Yeah, it's been about 4 weeks, and I'm due for another period in about a week.

Menschsein posted:

The first couple of months it just takes patience to wait it out. I had cramping and also the hilariously strong upper-thigh cramps within the first month or month-and-a-half. Paracetamol was my food then. I've always had a very random cycle, so this is not universal, but the spotting shenanigans ceased for good around the four month mark.

Oh god, the upper thigh cramps are the worst.

Thanks for the infomation, guys, I do appreciate it. After all of the issues with my implanon, I'm more than a little anxious with the Mirena.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007

Geolicious posted:

YES OH GOD ITS AWFUL

I thought I was the only one!

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Has anyone had the experience of getting a cyst while having the Mirena?

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Going to my GP in the morning for these daily cramps. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't happening frequently and all on one side. Here's to hoping its a cyst and nothing else. :/

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
^Thats exactly what I've been dealing with daily for the past couple of weeks. :( hope it gets better for you.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
In spite of all the weird crampiness, I am so glad I got the Mirena. It's likely that any cysts I got would have happened anyway. :)

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
So the Ultrasound was interesting on Thursday. They didn't tell me anything, but everything just hurt. From the pressing down when they did the ultrasound from outside, to the touching on the inside during the transvaginal ultrasound, it never stopped hurting--and only on the right side. I'm actually glad that I don't have a partner right now, because there is no way I would be able to have sex comfortably.

I'm hoping my doctor calls on Monday to discuss what the radiologist saw. If not, I have another appointment on Wednesday.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Turns out I had a cyst, which is entirely what I expected.
What I didn't expect was that it would be over 3x the size of my normal left ovary. The doctor thinks that it likely burst with my period over the weekend, but I've got a followup ultrasound in a month.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007

SilverSliver posted:

Ow. Ow ow ow. :(
Are you feeling any better?

I'm still cramping a bit, though this morning I was fine while at the dr's. I guess a 6.5 cm cyst won't just disappear overnight.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007

Miz Kriss posted:

I went to the doctor's office to get the Mirena put in this morning, and it didn't work. On the first try, it slid out as the nurse practitioner was taking the speculum out. The second try, she couldn't get it in all the way. This is even using a dilator and another set of prongs. Now I have to go in tomorrow to get the internal sonogram to make sure my anatomy is okay before trying again in a month. loving cervix.

At least she's only gonna charge for the office visit instead of the full shebang since today was a failure.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a failed insertion a year ago, and got one placed two months ago, no issue. :)

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Well, pretty much doubled over in pain right now, so it's safe to say that my cyst isn't gone at all.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Update: everything seems to be finally settling with my Mirena. Still having cramps the week or so before my period, but it's no longer constant. I finally got back into a work out routine this week, and so far so good. :) For awhile there, I was wondering if I had managed to make my reproductive health worse rather than better.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
I always have pain down my leg with cysts. :( Speaking of which, I can tell there's another one on my right ovary. Next dr.'s visit, I'm asking for a hormone panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Started cramping and spotting during/after workouts again. Godamnit, uterus and Mirena, I thought this was over.

• Locked thread