Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

I haven't actually posted in this thread, but reading through this over the past month and going to iud-divas led me to get the Mirena on Monday. Thank you ladies!

BigGayLogan, I want to say that I'm the biggest baby on earth. I've literally gone from being a blood donor and someone who would dream b-class splatter films for a year (don't ask) to someone who faints when I have to give blood and turns white when blood and gore is discussed.

However, despite reading all the horror stories about the insertion, I honestly have to say that it was about 175 times less horrifying than I had imagined.

I was given misoprostol to shove up there four hours before and took 0.5mg of Xanax (I was really scared!) and 100mg of diclofenac (a leftover from getting my wisdom tooth out) about 45mins before. The insertion was nothing. The procedure took maybe three minutes, out of that the whole poking (ha) was maybe 20 seconds altogether. The sounding was by far the worst, it wasn't even pain, just the feeling that NO ONE should pinch you in the holiest of places. The sound kickstarted the cramps, but after that I didn't even feel the actual IUD go in. It was over way fast.

I'm wondering if it was mostly the Xanax, because it did take the edge off being nervous and tense. I mean, if you've got Vicodin, you should be good to go. And concentrating on breathing helps immensely. Later, a hot water bottle is the best thing. Get some good films and have a lie-in. And feel like a viking woman!

e:grmr

Menschsein fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Butt Wizard posted:

Implanon has more hormones than Mirena. Or rather, at the very very end of Implanon's cycle, it has the same amount, but for most of its lifecycle it's considerably more. Just something to consider.

Also, Implanon works primarily as a systemic contraceptive, going through the brain, while Mirena is based on a localised effect and a double whammy of being in the uterus and leaking there. That's not to say it doesn't leak hormones into the bloodstream, but the level is less than Implanon. Additionally, consider the possibility of responding differently to the different hormones (etonorgestrel vs levonorgestrel). Doing a mini-pill trial run might be an idea before committing to a hormonal version.

edit: misread stuff.

Menschsein fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 14, 2012

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Was it this one?

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

I slightly got the feeling from that series of IUDs of various shapes that the people (I'm guessing men) who designed these things were not entirely at ease with the idea of autonomous contraception, or then, at the very least, went the way of "gently caress it, let's just see what happens". Because holy hell, they must have known that trying to remove something like the Dalkon Shield will hurt the woman more than is necessary. Also, that IUD with the stiff "string" seems like a deliberate evil joke, how can that not hurt either partner?

Shame about the Saf-t-coil, though. That was cute.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

I had my Mirena inserted in October 2011 and didn't have a period from June until January. Since then I seem to have had a period-y thing each month (REALLY hoping it goes away again), bright red and enough to use a cup. But what's most mysterious is that I have boobal issues, as in tender breasts not only the week before my period, but basically two or three weeks before it, which makes it only one week after my period when I'm not achy or perioding. I went to my gyn check-up in January and she said in the ultrasound that there was some unreleased egg hanging out in one ovary. I filed it as a "I have a cyst".

ANYWAY, my question is, has anyone else had boobal issues on the Mirena, and did they subside? I'm okay with waiting it out, but it's a drat nuisance in the general fabulousness.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'm just like that, yep. Same with the not having real periods for a couple months and then woop back to having a cycle. It isn't a huge inconvenience for me so I have been just dealing with it- still better than babies!

My gyno said that the Mirena "works by being an IUD" and the hormone is just there to lighten periods because sometimes IUDs give you heavier ones. I am not sure if that means that we still ovulate and all that when on it. It may be that earlier in its time in the uterus it does have a higher amount of hormone being released at a time, and after a while it subsides. Either way it is still effective.

Alright. Thanks for the peer support, I'm glad to hear it's unusual and should subside. Here's to hoping it'll normalise by summer. All in all, I would pull serenades on street corners for Mirena, If I could sing. Or be generally musically inclined.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Okay, the tit issues are not that bad, I mean, I wouldn't go punching them (ow) during the time they're tender, but there are no mood issues or PMS until a few days before the period, which seems to be acceptable. Will monitor boob status, though, if it's really gonna continue like this, cause I'm just being hopeful. Damnit! I was hoping no more period management while on a hike in the middle of nowhere.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

The first couple of months it just takes patience to wait it out. I had cramping and also the hilariously strong upper-thigh cramps within the first month or month-and-a-half. Paracetamol was my food then. I've always had a very random cycle, so this is not universal, but the spotting shenanigans ceased for good around the four month mark.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Speaking of Mirena, I know I've heard some people say they noticed an increase in acne right after getting theirs inserted. I got mine slightly over a month ago and only in the past few days my face has started to break out terribly. I'm mostly just trying to figure out if I should blame this on hormones and wait it out, or if I need to switch moisturizers again (which I don't want to do because I'm sick of buying expensive moisturizers). I've already had my first post-Mirena "period" (I think; it was just about a day of cramps and a couple days of spotting), and the break-out didn't start til after that.

I can testify to having a bit more acne before my period, certainly more than on the pill, but nothing out of the ordinary However, the settling-in period I had a bit of a panic when zits began appearing in places I'd never had them before. Fortunately that passed, but it was an interesting phase, a couple of weeks. Again, I'd recommend to wait it out. The increase in acne could also be attributed to summer (though I don't know what climate you're living in).

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Bamabalacha posted:

Anyone up in here have any experience with Marvelon (also known as/similar to Desogen and Apri)? I got switched to it by my gyno today, after the Ortho Evra patch couldn't hack it as continuous use BC. I'm super bummed to be going off the patch, but I'd rather go without it and get fewer periods and have a lower chance of monster cysts :smith:

As all the pills can have different effects on different women, take this with a grain of salt, but Marvelon was as smooth a ride as I've experienced on the pill. If I remember correctly, I did experience boob growth, but that was it, no acne. Hell no would I ever change back from the IUS, though.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Bacteriophage posted:

Uggghhh

Since getting my Mirena almost 2 weeks ago and being off combined birth control pills I'm pretty sure that my boobs are shrinking noooo :( :(

I mean I know this is a pretty common thing and all, I just didn't think it'd happen so soon boo. This happen to anyone else?

Think of it more as a bonus weightloss!

I was somewhat disappointed after I had spent effort and money on getting The Perfect Bra. And then I got Mirena and the bra was suddenly too large. But no fear! At least my cycle is still working underneath, so about a week before my period, my breasts grow and I can wear The Perfect Bra.

So maybe it's not so much that your boobs have shrunk, they were just artificially bigger all the time. That also might mean that your weight was at a higher point on the coc's too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

uberwekkness posted:

Heyyyy uh... I've been on Mirena for a little over two years, and suddenly I'm getting a totally normal period. Before now, I had nothing. Should I be concerned? o_O

I started getting "normal" periods in fall 2013, two years after getting it. It's disappointing, but I wouldn't worry. If you're like me, you'll still be skipping some months, if that's of any consolation.

• Locked thread