Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Anne Whateley posted:

That's awesome the nurse can be there. I bet you can also literally hold her hand if you need. The first time I got Implanon, I thought it was going to be painful, and I was alone, and the nurse who was watching just casually offered her hand for me to squeeze. I totally couldn't even feel the insertion so I wound up feeling like a total idiot, but hey, she offered! It seemed like that's a pretty normal thing for them to do.

Or if you have anyone you trust to go with you (friend, sibling, whatever) I bet they'd allow them in too if you wanted.

My mom came with me to my Implanon appointment but if she hadn't I would have been holding the nurse's hand. I have to make another appointment to get it replaced real soon, and I might just be doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

fork bomb posted:

I've gotten cramps and irregular bleeding but being carefree about pregnancy is so worth it that I'm on my third implant!

Yup, irregular period suck and my mood swings have finally evened out, I just got insurance through my new job and will be making an appointment for my second implant real soon. Love not having to think about anything other than if I feel like I might need a panty liner "just in case".

My period has seriously lightened, at the very least. Sometimes it's kinda heavy but nowhere near as bad as it was before no hormones.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Hey, I just recognized you from the NYC thread. Are you comfortable telling me where you go? When I tried to get my last Implanon 2.5 years ago, everywhere I found in the city made it a huge pain -- I had to order it, have it sent to me, then be reimbursed by insurance -- so I wound up just going to a PP out of state where they did it normally. I need a new one again in a few months, but I'd rather do it here if there's a good office that handles it well! annewhateley at gmail if you'd rather not post publicly.

Honestly, I was going to ask you where you go, because I know we live in the same area and use the same method, because I'm a creeper. I actually got my first one at an office on Long Island, as I was still living there and only in Queens on the weekends staying with the boyfriend and now that I reverse commute and work a block from that same office I'm most likely going to go back there (possibly during lunch, so I don't even have to spend any more time here than I absolutely have to).

I did have to deal with a huge hassle of the insurance company telling me everything was covered and then coming back and telling me only the office visit and pregnancy test was covered and not the implant itself, so I had to fight them for a while while staring at a bill from the gyno for ~$1k that I couldn't cover (being a student and not working).

If you're willing to take a trip out to the south shore sometime I'm more than happy to give you the office information, but I don't have anyone in Queens at the moment.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

If it hasn't changed I go to an office in Rockville Centre (by go I mean have previously went and now that I have insurance again/my 3 years are almost up I will be going again), if you can get a train that goes from Woodside to RVC without having to change at Jamaica it's an easy half hour trip.
I have to ask around (and by around I mean ask my mom) for the dr's info for myself, if you'd like I can send it over once I get it. I switched plans multiple times so hopefully that office takes my plan. I asked the insurance guy to give me a list of gynos in Sunnyside/Woodside that are covered but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Mine stopped hurting once the insertion site healed. Now I push it to make it stick out and make friend feel it and it freaks them out. I sometimes have to touch it to remind myself it's still there, I don't even notice it.

I was considering Paragard because my years are almost up but I have decided I can live with the irregular periods and my mood swings have evened out (even though it took loving forever), so I'm sticking with the implant. I love mine.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

taco show posted:

I'm considering Nexplanon but the whole irregular periods thing is really unappealing. I was on NuvaRing (which was great, but getting expensive), and I liked being able to know and somewhat control when my period was coming. My periods off bc are somewhat irregular and heavy, and I'm worried the Nexplanon will make it worse.

Can someone who has used Implanon/Nexplanon provide some insight? How annoying is it? Is there any warning for when you might get a period or spotting?

My body gives me a few hours warning when my Kramer-like period is going to show up, but it's 100% random, it seems. I can go months without one and get three really short (like 3 days of bleeding) on 2 weeks. But for me it's also 100% worth it to not have to spend any time thinking about birth control.

Mine were also really heavy off bc but have lightened significantly since I started on any hormonal bc, Implanon included.
It's really kind of random what side effects you do/not get, though.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kind of a vent with possibly a question or too:
My boss and I were finally able to get my health insurance un-hosed and I've been able to make calls and, sadly, Implanon isn't a covered device so I'm getting an IUD :(

Luckily they cover removal, though, because apparently that poo poo's expensive on its own. I spoke to a very nice woman at the Planned Parenthood in my area and I have to get my implant removed and have an exam in order to get "approved" for an IUD of my choosing and then come back when I'm on my period for the IUD. I would probably be able to make those appointments a lot closer together if it weren't for the fact that my period is like Gene Parmesan, always surprising/tricking me, so I can't accurately make an appointment besides day of (which I may have to do). They're going to give me a pack of microgestin (the pill I was on before I got my implant) to cover me for the ~3 weeks/month before I get my period, as long as my body behaves itself with the new hormones.

I'm seriously torn on Mirena v. Paragard and can't decide. Both have some serious pros and no real cons, I like what the hormones can [possibly] help me with for the Mirena, but I also have some mood swings and cry without too much provocation, so the idea of going hormone free sounds appealing, even though before I was on any kind of HBC my periods were heavy and slightly painful.

If anyone has had that dilemma, what other things did you think about/can you help me weigh my options?

Sorry for the tl;dr rant, it also kind of helps just talking it out with people who are knowledgeable, even if no one actually responds.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Tigntink posted:

Wait a minute. If you are in America - any BC of your choice should be covered. That was the point of the ACA. This change went through like 2 years ago now so no one should be even grandfathered anymore. I have still been hearing about insurance providers still lying to their clients about what is covered though.

That's what I thought but the woman I spoke to said, after I was on hold for about 15 minutes while she spoke to someone about my question, that they cover IUDs and "other devices. NuvaRing is covered, if you want". I did have to speak with 2 other people before getting confirmation that the removal of the implant was even covered, so maybe I've just got to call again and speak with someone who doesn't need me to spell Implanon 4 times to understand what I'm asking about.

With the removal call I made sure to get a reference number for the call (had issues with my last insurance denying the implant was covered even though I confirmed it with 3 separate calls, I'd rather get a reference number now so I don't have to worry about appealing), maybe I'll try calling until I get an answer I like.

And my plan is brand new, switched to a different one from the one I was on for a few months as of January 1st, so it wouldn't even be a grandfathered issue. I thought everything was covered but then started doubting that because I wasn't sure if they could say they covered some options but not all.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Ding ding ding. I love the idea of PP but ours in the city are not so great. When I tried to go through them 3 years ago, it was a shitshow. I wound up taking a train to some CT city where they apparently do Implanon a lot, and they handled it without even a hiccup. I think it's just organized by state, so some have their act together more than others. Mine is up in a month and I'll probably just go back to CT. It's not a bad trip on MetroNorth.

Also, if your insurance really doesn't cover it somehow, you can tell PP you're uninsured (you are for Implanon) and they should have a sliding scale. If I had to, I would definitely pay a few hundred to stick with Implanon.

It was the insurance company that I had the problem with, PP was pretty great when I called them a few different times (though I'd go to the one on Long Island, I don't want to even think about taking a train if I get an IUD).

I did ask about Nexplanon (spelled that one for her a few times, too) but she blew them all off as "devices we don't cover". Honestly, I was leaning towards IUD anyway because I'm kind of sick of the irregular bleeding. I miss being able to check an app and say "oh, poo poo, it's tomorrow" rather than dealing with the "what is that feeling? Could it be?" game.

Thanks for all your help, I knew I could count on you (I think you were the one who first convinced me Implanon was awesome, Anne). I'm going to try and get someone a little more knowledgeable and confirm the coverage but right now my main reason for wanting another implant is that there's no gap in coverage.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Not to steer you one way or another, but the irregular bleeding thing might also be an issue with Mirena, since it's another progestin-only method. Periods stopping completely only happens to some users, not all. And you definitely don't have to be on your period for an insertion. I think it helps, but during my insertion I was just finishing my last week of active pills and wasn't close to actually bleeding yet but it didn't seem to be a problem.

As for your insurance company, just from your posts it kind of sounds to me like they don't even know what the hell Implanon/Nexplanon is. I think it is a little less well-known and maybe they just don't realize it isn't some weird experimental or off-label thing.

That's why I'm really hesitating going Mirena over Paragard, I'm only seriously considering it because progestin-only methods apparently lighten my period, which I like. I've also got used to being able to feel when it's going to start, for the most part I haven't had any accidents. I'm just so torn, I wish I could magic in another Implanon and deal with the irregular periods. I do know that you don't have to be on your period for an IUD but from everything I've heard I'd rather do everything in my power to make it as easy as possible, I just hope my hormones behave when I start the pill pack they give me when I get the implant taken out.

At this point I'm also just so frustrated with the insurance company that I'd rather not deal with another hour and a half of phone calls trying to find someone who understands that there are more HBC options besides IUDs and pills and that NuvaRing is not an appropriate alternative to Implanon.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll probably be back with a trip report for all this poo poo to add to the experiences with Implanon and IUDs

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

If you can't find someone experienced to remove the Implanon, you might want to consider leaving it in. It won't be 99.99% effective anymore, but it shouldn't be at 0 yet either, so maybe it can help with your periods for awhile. It shouldn't hurt anything. Removal might not be super fun either if it's a clueless person.

The PP I'm going to does Implanon for sure and according to the awesome woman I spoke with they're very experienced with insertions and removals. The main reason I wanted to get it removed first before the IUD insertion was to attempt to be in my period for the insertion, but I may just say gently caress it and go to my approval appointment and wait till after I've been approved to have them remove the implant and insert the IUD at the same appointment. My main worry about my first plan is coverage.

Thanks, do you have any idea how long the implant can be left in if it needs to be? I've had trouble finding that info and was worried about having this thing in my arm till I'm 80 if I couldn't find someone to remove it asap.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I personally wouldn't worry about leaving it in until I was 80, if dystopia suddenly struck somehow. It leaches hormones until the hormones are gone, then it's an inert piece of silicone. It's not in an area where it might interfere with function, and it can't really migrate anywhere too weird. Leaving it in for a really long time probably increases the chance of encapsulation, but that just means that when they do take it out, they might need to make an extra little slit within your arm to get to the device. I wouldn't leave it in if I were trying to get pregnant, because if it's leaching only a tiny bit of hormones it might still affect the fetus, but that's all I can think of.

I didn't bother getting my first one replaced on time because I happened to be dating girls. I think it went just over 3.5 years before I noticed more spotting and got a new one. I don't think anyone even mentioned that I'd had it in longer than I should've.

That's good to hear, thanks.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Hutla posted:

Each insurance company has a list of the particular ones that they will pay for. I actually had to bitch out my brand new obamacare policy before they would even deign to give me an answer about it. I refilled literally the cheapest of cheap generics and they denied any cost sharing on it, because it was not one of their preferred drugs. But they will pay all of any IUD, so I'm shopping for a gyno that is both in my network and will give nulliparious women an IUD.

Same here, they won't let me get another implant but IUDs are a-ok, so I'm actually heading over to Planned Parenthood next week to get my implant removed and have an exam for an IUD. The biggest issue I'm having now is they won't put the IUD in the same appointment where they remove my implant, so I'm stuck on whatever brand they have a sample pack of of the pill for ~3 weeks/a month.

Edit: Finally made my appointments, I need 3 to get everything over and done with :( plus I can't go to my well visit on my period so the whole "irregular" thing with Implanon might throw everything off. Bye bye implant!

ilysespieces fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 8, 2014

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Getting my Implanon out next week and hopefully will be approved for an IUD and will be getting Paragard soon, so excited! But, just my luck, I've been bleeding for a week with no end in sight and I can't have my approval visit if I'm bleeding, which means if this doesn't shut the gently caress down by Tuesday morning I have to cancel, which sucks. Stupid irregular bleeding, why must you betray me, Implanon. I loved you. Hopefully I'll have a trip report soon, I'm so looking forward to ten years of idiot proof no-babies.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

fork bomb posted:

I would just show up to the appointment anyway. Shower, wear a tampon, hit the bathroom at the doctor's office to remove it, bring some wet wipes if needed, and just explain what's going on when you have the doc in front of you.

Totally TMI response below, read at your own risk.

It's not even real bleeding, I haven't needed a pad/tampon all week, which is the most frustrating part. I even slept naked last night, that's how non-existent it is right now. I may just go, if it's still like this, and if they notice act shocked/surprised.

I'm hoping it stops in the next day or so so I don't have to think about it at all. I just want to go to this appointment so I can start on the pill asap so I can get laid again once the implant is out, I'm an awful horn-dog apparently. The woman on the phone said nothing in/around me for 48 hours before the appointment, which sucks because it's on a Tuesday and I get all my boning in on the weekends because the bf is way too stressed/tired to get any after work.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

If it's that light (and I know what you mean, it's seriously like nothing on Implanon) I would just pretend you hadn't noticed. It's not because they medically can't or they'll get grossed out, it's because everything is just easier to see if there isn't tons of blood all over the place, which there isn't.

Planned Parenthood NYC does Implanon now! :toot: I'm going to get my third (wow) in a few weeks. I actually have good insurance so I could go to a fancy-rear end practice, but PP is so much more convenient it's ridiculous.

Thanks. Unless it gets heavier I'm sticking with the whole pretending I don't notice approach. I'm actually going to PP on the island since I can borrow a car to get there and not have to deal with trains. They only do Implanon at certain times so I have to leave work early Thursday to get it removed, but that's fine with me. I wish I could get another but with moving next month I just can't spend my own money on another. Plus I kind of like the idea of no hormones, when I first got Implanon I was a hot mess for a while.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Implanon removal trip report: easy as pie, kind of aches now that I'm done but I expected as much. Took 3 shots to fully numb me but the clinician was great and chatty and fun, she kept me distracted. She also approved me for Paragard and had them make my appointment this Tuesday an insertion, so hopefully I'll have another trip report next week, if all goes well. My only thing was my appointment was at 2 and I finally got my implant removed at 445, which sucked. I was excited to get to go home early and have some time to myself afterwards, but I got an even later train than usual thanks to this.

But it was incredibly fast, once I got properly numbed.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Thanks so much! I was going to have my mom drive me home but I figured it's best to just stay at my parents for the night (closer to both PP and work, where I have to go the next day). I live for thermacare heating pads, I'll be sure to grab some. I'm nervous (mainly because I wanted to do this on a Friday or Saturday so I'd get a break after, but getting it done ASAP means more) but super excited!

Also, took off my compression bandage (almost bed time) and my arm feels way less throbby. I hope washing it tomorrow morning goes well. I gave myself an extra ten minutes to shower in the morning.

My number one gripe is no sex this weekend and then condoms for another after getting it inserted (though I might ask for a pill pack because I hate condoms so much).

/ramble

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

^^^
Thanks! I'll look into them, I am hoping to avoid them altogether but if I can't, that's probably the best bet. And I'm pretty sure I'll be fine without the wrapping, I sleep on my other side at least (which sucked when I got tattooed on that side, because I forgot how I sleep before picking sides).

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

I've done a ton of research and have read all the horror stories, but this is still the best method for me, I feel. The nurse told me a month with condoms until I come in for a check up to make sure it's all good down there, but it's good to hear that sounds overly cautious. I told the bf pull out method for a while, until I feel comfortable with the device (did the same when I first got the implant, trusting a new method takes a bit of time for me) but I'd be fine going back to our usual ways asap. Like I said before, horndog over here.

Thanks a ton for all your help, everyone! Can't wait till Tuesday, hopefully everything goes smoothly and I can get it inserted. I'm excited for hormone free living for a while.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Again, thanks, I really appreciate your help/anecdotes. I have warned the bf both about the adjustment period going off the hormones and having to check strings for me, but I have faith in this method and am excited for Tuesday to get here.

Also, Anne, I totally put the bandage back on after my shower, I took off the gauze and the sticky tape underneath scared me and was bloody, I didn't want my coworkers seeing that plus I want some extra "don't touch" protection, you know how the trains can get. Even though I reverse commute, getting home to secret neighborhood on a Friday evening is a sardine can torture test.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question and don't want it to get lost in my ramble. I was told to take off the compression bandage last night and the gauze before my shower this morning, but I didn't realize there was another set of sticky tape under the gauze and I'm confused! Should I have taken that off this morning in the shower? I'll probably shower again tonight, should I take it off before/in that shower? I've Google, but nothing helpful has popped up.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I didn't have anything under my gauze. I think leaving the extra tape on this morning was fine. If it gets wet and peely, I would get rid of it and maybe put on a Band-Aid after you get out of the shower (and do the ace bandage for as long as it feels better that way). It should just be a small hole a little bigger than the insertion hole, not like a slit the length of the device or anything. Since you didn't get it replaced, I don't think it's too possible to screw up. Just don't shove subway dirt or rusty nails in it and it should heal fine.

Thanks so much, I'm not too worried, but I don't wanna screw up its healing because I'm impatient. I'll peel the tape off in the shower tonight, thanks.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Getting my Paragard tomorrow, I spoke with a woman at PP about my insurance and this isn't considered preventative, which means my deductible applies and all that fun stuff (I still don't totally understand) but they're going to make it where I pay the self pay amount and if my insurance will pay more/charge me less, I get a refund of the difference. If they'll charge more they take back the claim and I only pay the self pay amount. It's more than worth it, it's a lot up front but it evens out. And I'm glad, thanks to the implant being removed I'm totally back on a weird cycle now so it's the right time to have it put in.

I'm that nervous excited you get before something like a Rollercoaster. It's going to be awesome, but waiting is like going up the tracks, it's clicking and reminding me I'm going higher. Hopefully I don't feel too awful, I wanted this done on a Friday or Saturday so I could not have work for a day or so after, but I'd rather get it done ASAP. Plus their scheduling for Friday and Saturdays is weird and sucks.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

^^^^ for real. Even going by the full price they charge the insurance company for everything including the office visit and facility, it's like 10$/month. Insurance companies don't make sense to me, it's so frustrating.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Paragard trip report! Crampy as butts, it was a super weird feeling, but I couldn't be happier. I also learned I have a small uterus. The NP was great, talking me through everything she was doing and keeping me focused on her. No numbing agent was used, but I was alright. The strings feel different than I expected, more like the tag that holds tags in clothes in stores. Have to go back 2 weeks after my next period, hopefully all is good then. Now just have to hope the cramps aren't so bad at work tomorrow, but I've stocked up on Aleve and Thermacares, so I'll be alright.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Thanks. They were uncomfortable last night, thankfully my mom had a thousand heating packs for me to steal from (stayed with my parents rather than braving the train last night, plus she bought me froyo, so I double win). Right now it seems alright, but I will def be sticking a thermacare in my pants for work today. She didn't say anything about tampons, which was weird, because she knew I was on my period yesterday. Now I don't know if I should stick with pads, my mortal enemy, or not.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Totally rocking a giant pad today, since all I have are the huge overnights, I might have to swing by CVS on my way home and get some not-diaper-like pads.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Edit: I just remembered, for those asking about Paragard things people don't really tell you about. I have noticed that my period tends to do a "start/stop" kind of thing now. So that might be something to be careful with. If your period seems to suddenly stop after a few days, give it some time before you trust that it's actually over because it may just start back up again.

Thankfully (not really) I'm used to that with Implanon so at least that's not going to be too awful.

Status update, feel so much better today, still angry about pads but they're not the worst thing in the world.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

NYC Planned Parenthood only does removals in one location, and I didn't realize what a zoo it would be. I had a 9 am appointment but it wasn't seen until 11:30.

I think that's every PP. I went to one on the Island and didn't actually get seen till 5pm for a 2pm appointment. Though then I went for my IUD insertion the next week I was out by 6:45 for my 5:30 appointment. I also had to do the forms and everything. There weren't many people there, maybe 6 ahead of me, but they only do insertions/removals at specific times so maybe I wasn't the only one there for it? Once I went back it was an easy 15 minutes (took a while to numb me) and yeah, the removal felt super weird, even though I was numb.

One week post Paragard insertion, have cried for no reason more than one, sometimes I feel super weird, hopefully that's the whole 'wtf no hormones?', I feel better now. I also feel amazing knowing I've got this little guy hanging around for up to 10 years. Every day or so I get a tiny twingy cramp for a few seconds, but other than that everything's great. I also felt the strings and the bf said he felt them and "It was weird. But I can live with them".

tl;dr Super happy about my IUD.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Sharks Below posted:

I know this has been asked a billion times in this thread but it's not really a question, more of a whinge. I'm getting Mirena inserted tomorrow and I'm really scared about the pain :ohdear: I've not had a child so I'm super super scared that it'll hurt a bunch. I'm not scared about the aftermath pain, that will suck of course but it's the procedural pain I'm worried about. Wahhh. :sweatdrop:

I just got my IUD inserted a week ago (and have been posting about it nonstop :P) and while everyone reacts differently, the sounding and insertion were incredibly weird feelings and made me really uncomfortable, but nothing felt any worse than the worst cramps I've ever had. I was kind of focusing more on how everything felt actually inside my uterus and that helped because it was such a new feeling. Plus the NP was chatty and great at keeping me distracted. I took an Aleve before my appointment and they didn't use any numbing agents.

Kimmalah posted:

Apparently mine is tipped really far forward, which I only found out once they did the palpation thing and said something. But it didn't seem to cause any major problems.

Mine is small, which is brand new information to me. It was almost too small to insert the device, according to the NP. She said mine was "4" and they like it to be at least "5 1/2 or 6". I'm assuming she meant centimeters, but I have no idea and didn't think to ask. That was probably the most nerve wracking part of my whole experience, I was internally crying because of all the effort and time and money spent on getting to that point, only to have my uterus be too small. But she made it work.

ilysespieces fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 7, 2014

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Blue Scream posted:

I'm waiting to hear from the actual practice, but if insurance won't cover any of it, looks like I'll be singing to the tune of about $1700 :( Which makes me hope extra hard that nothing's wrong, because no way I'll be able to afford to fix it.

Write a letter and appeal their decision. I had to do that when I got my Implanon, I was told it was covered by the insurance company and then they denied everything but the visit and insertion (not the device or tests or anything). If they still deny it, the practice may be able to work out a payment plan. I had to pay out of pocket for my IUD but since it was self pay at PP it wasn't nearly that much. :(

Also, never trust the Dr's office when it comes to what's covered, only the insurance company will be able to tell you anything that matters. I learned my lesson with my Implanon ordeal, always get a name of the person and a reference number for any future appeal letters.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

I've always had bad acne, but my chin is breaking out like nothing else. Stupid no-hormones, it's kind if driving me crazy. I'm also back to being a sobbing mess at stupid poo poo, hopefully that stops real soon because it's getting annoying.

But I couldn't be happier with my IUD (well, I could, if I wasn't a crying pizza face, but still).

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

That poster is going off Implanon rather than starting it. But I think pretty much anytime you start messing with hormones there's always a good chance of bad skin and crying. :negative:

Yup, when I started Implanon I was also a sobbing mess but my skin cleared up slightly (still had break outs but not nearly as bad/often, though I attributed that to being an adult). It's not terrible, I'm sure that's part of getting older, but still frustrating because it's embarrassing. Plus crying at everything and all that.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Yes I have moments of "I'm 28 years old and really feel like I shouldn't have to deal with this poo poo." I realize it can hit at any age, but man I hate still having teenager problems.

Yup, tantrums over the blanket being twisted and waking up to find a giant red pimple on my chin were things I had hoped to leave behind. Hopefully this evens itself out soon, I'm so happy otherwise. I guess it's time to actually care about makeup to stop being so embarrassed about my skin. But I'm lazy and :effort:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Check out Anne Whatley's posts in this thread if you want to hear someone rave about their 3 Implanons. She convinced me to get mine and the only reason I didn't get another was insurance shenanigans.

Also, first period post insertion, I didn't even know it was coming, I've had absolutely zero cramping. Don't wanna jinx it but so far, besides having to pay for it out of pocket, Paragard has been amazing. I had heavy crampy periods, pre-HBC.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

Thanks for the input, everyone. One more question: does the implanon have to be done at a particular point in your cycle, or just whenever?

I got mine put in at a well visit, so I wasn't "allowed" to be on my period, but I don't think it matters. It's not like an IUD where being on your period makes it easier. Leaning that way?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

^^^ when I got my Paragard one of the NPs said 3 months of condoms. I understand why they suggest that, but I also understand the risks so I did not follow that. I have to go back in 2-3 weeks for a well visit and to make sure everything's doing good down there, but I've felt the strings and have had no issues. I'm very happy.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

The skin thing is a pain, isn't it? I've managed to get into a routine that keeps my skin pretty clear, except for a few days leading up to my period when I feel like all the bad parts of being a teenager again.

Mine has been exceptionally awful recently, too. I forgot how much it sucks. A few days away from my period, if my now-needed-again tracker is right, and my chin looks like a pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

I've figured out the hard way that eating too much dairy seems to make my skin explode. Otherwise, salicyclic acid and benzoyl peroxide (either as a cream or body wash) has been helpful for me.

Thanks, I'll try cream before cutting out dairy because I love cheese and would be so sad if that caused my acne so I'm going to pretend there are other ways to keep it under control.

• Locked thread