Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
At the PP where I work, we just screen everyone for chlamydia and gonorrhea, no questions asked about sexual history or partners at all. And we insert the IUD prior to getting the results - they just need to be treated immediately if anything comes back positive, they don't need the IUD removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Chedranian Girl posted:

Anyway, my 4 am romp was already covered by my previous pill, surely? And even if it required my pill to be taken on time the next morning, it was still within the 12 hour window, so that's doubly "safe as normal" right?
The problem is that one sex act isn't just isolated to the amount of time spent having sex, in terms of being able to get pregnant; sperm can live in your body for up to five days. So say you took yesterday's pill and had sex a few hours later, and then stopped taking the pill entirely, thinking you would have been covered by that one pill you took BEFORE sex. It doesn't work like that. Stopping the pill allows your body to ovulate, and if there's still sperm swimming around from the sex that occurred after you did take your pill, you can indeed get pregnant. The pill doesn't work retroactively and it also doesn't keep working after it hasn't been taken.

Obviously that's not your situation exactly since you only missed the pill by a few hours. I'm not familiar with mini-pills that have a 12-hour window - my understanding is that mini-pills are generally far more sensitive than that. At my clinic we tell patients on mini-pills that they can't miss it by more than 3 hours. So I think it's definitely possible that you could have ovulated in that 7-hour window especially given the high sensitivity of mini-pills. Take emergency contraception.

Sorry to confirm your paranoia, but it's not something you want to guess and pray about, right? Taking EC is the only thing you can do at this point to put your mind at ease and it is very effective the soonest it's taken after sex.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 16, 2011

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

At the clinic where I work our Depo calendar is even more stretched than that, to every 10-14 weeks. And yes, patients do usually set up their next one at the time of their shot, and (unless they're just starting Depo for the first time) they usually know whether they prefer to do it closer to 10 weeks or 14 weeks, or if it makes no difference to them. There's no medical reason why they can't get it as early as every 10 weeks, and some people prefer that because they start spotting or getting other side effects if they wait longer.

DRP Solved! posted:

It's effective for up to 14 months
I assume you meant weeks, here? ;)

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

a) Will the short period of time between taking the pill and having sex again decrease chances of conception, and
b) What is the effects of taking two morning after pills in a short period of time.
I don't think she needs to take EC more than once. Both instances of unprotected sex should be covered under her taking that first pill, since the second time occurred immediately after. Of course, that doesn't mean EC should be used that way - to cover future unprotected sex - but in this one case I think she's okay.

GenericOverusedName posted:

I don't know the answer to your questions, but if you're breaking condoms that often you should get bigger ones just fyi.
There are a lot of reasons the condom could be breaking and more likely than not they have nothing to do with size. Use lube!!! (That can't be emphasized enough!) Check the expiration date, store the condoms in a cool, dry place like a bedside table drawer (your wallet is like the absolute worst place for a condom). And lube, lube, lube. I agree that the condom should NOT be breaking that often and you should reevaluate how you're using them.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 3, 2011

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

ilysespieces posted:

Nope, I'm getting mine put in tomorrow, almost right in the middle of my pill pack, a week or so after my "period" ended. I just grabbed the first appt my dr had after she said it doesn't matter when I get it done.
Edit: just read the post above mine and I guess it's a pill thing, so nvm.

At the clinic where I work we insert IUDs and Implanon at any time, regardless of whether the patient's already on BC. We just make sure they've been using a reliable method of contraception (including condoms, withdrawal or abstinence) for at least two weeks so that we can reasonably ensure they're not pregnant.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 13, 2011

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Reformed Tomboy posted:

If you are covered or not depends on the type of pill you swapped from. When changing from combination pills you have to insert it at the end up the pack during the placebo week to be covered. For progestin-only pills, anytime you insert it will leave you covered. Since when you swapped you were already into your new pack, use a back up method for a week (unless you were on a progestin-only pill of course).
Whaaa? I've never heard this and don't know why that would be the case. As far as I know switching from any type of hormonal BC to any other hormonal BC, whether combined or progestin-only, should keep you protected (as long as you were using the first method correctly, etc.) Why would you not be protected immediately after Implanon insertion if you had been mid-cycle on COCs?

Also, we sometimes advise patients to take COCs in addition to Implanon for a short period of time if they are having trouble with irregular/nonstop bleeding because it can help get the bleeding under control. Obviously, you should only do that if you don't have a contraindication to estrogen use and definitely check with your doctor first, but hormones CAN be used in combination with other hormones without being dangerous.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Geolicious posted:

Maybe I"m reading this wrong, but I find it a little disconcerting that your clinic considers withdrawal a reliable method of contraception.

96% effective when used perfectly.

edit: Here's another source.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 14, 2011

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

DRP Solved! posted:

Did they explain to you why they were choosing to no longer prescribe the combination pill?

If not, here's the gist of it: Having migraines with aura (the tunnel vision you get counts as the aura), even if only once a year, increases your risk of stroke, heart attack, and death. It essentially doubles your risk of having any of these (from about 20 per 10,000 to around 40,000). In women with migraines with aura, taking estrogen further increases your risk (I don't have exact numbers).
What DRP said. I'll just add that it only counts as an aura if you get the visual symptoms BEFORE the migraine occurs, not DURING the migraine. If you're getting the tunnel vision only DURING the migraine then you should be fine for a combined pill, and I'd seek a second opinion or go somewhere else. But if you get tunnel vision, and it goes away or subsides somewhat, and then - typically within an hour or less - your migraine hits, PP is absolutely right to take you off your old pill. If you decide to seek another provider who is more lenient, just know that they're being more lenient (or plain old careless) at the risk of your safety.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 18, 2011

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

DRP Solved! posted:

That first part isn't true. Auras can sometimes start at the same time or before the migraine headache and they're still considered an aura and therefore a contraindication for estrogen-containing pills.
Do you have a source for this? My understanding is that an aura (at least as it relates to birth control use) is defined by when the visual symptoms (or more rarely, other neurological symptoms) begin. Whether or not they continue during the headache portion of the migraine, if they didn't start beforehand, it's not considered a contraindication to estrogen use. Not saying I can't be wrong, but that's the way I've had it explained to me and the way I've seen it practiced.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Fanky Malloons posted:

Yeah, my Mirena was packaged with a long tube/stick with measurement lines on it which I assumed was for sounding the uterus to make sure the IUD would fit - so, I assume, the OB measured it during the process of inserting the IUD.

I guess if that's the case though, it must be a pain in the rear end if your uterus turns out to be too short, since the doc will already have opened the IUD and its accoutrements, thus wasting all the money you spent on it?
Nah, you measure the uterus with a reusable, sterilizable sound that's separate from the IUD package.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

leverite where posted:

Got a pap smear today. I'd like to get an IUD, but apparently my cervix appears to have like, a double opening but one opening appears to be normal and the other one doesn't seem to be an actual opening...but, almost like it was supposed to be one? I don't think the gyno wants to proceed with anything IUD-related until I get an ultrasound done of my uterus, which kind of sucks because I'm uninsured right now and these kinds of visits to radiology aren't covered by California's low income health program.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with an abnormal looking cervix and getting an ultrasound done to see if there's anything weird going on with the uterus. Or how the IUD process changes if one has an abnormally-shaped uterus/cervix. Really doubt I have a double uterus or anything, but drat, that would be quite the discovery at age 24...

I've seen patients with two uteruses (including one who was pregnant in both!!) and another one with two vaginas. These things happen and are generally harmless. Since an ultrasound seems to be prohibitively expensive for you, I'd suggest getting a second opinion - generally, an IUD can be put in almost any woman's uterus as long as it's big enough, and your provider will measure your uterus before the insertion to make sure of that.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

It really depends on the individual person. I've taken Plan B without it really having any major effect on me or my cycle beyond some nausea right after I took it. Which I realize isn't necessarily typical, but just that it may not necessarily "wreak havoc" on her.

Agreed, I've taken Plan B twice without any side effects really at all, on my period or otherwise (I expected to be super nauseous because I get nauseous easily, but didn't even feel that). I counsel women taking it that "your period may come earlier, later or on time; it may be heavier, lighter or the same." In general YMMV with anything and everything related to birth control.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

1337 haxxor pirate posted:

I'm so glad this thread exists. Real contributions from sane, articulate humans are so reassuring. Thank you guys! I'm hoping you can all be of help in preparing me for a Paragard appointment at Planned Parenthood. It seems as though I'll be in and out relatively quickly - but seeing as though I'm paying someone to plant copper in my uterus for a very long time I'd like to address concerns and be sure my body's up for it. Is it strange that there seems to be no pre-exam for this sort of thing? For all I know I have a monster uterus and could die upon contact with the thing. I'd like to be thoroughly vetted beforehand, but have no money outside of what's covering the procedure and am not sure if PP would consider something like STD testing or whatnot to be an "additional appointment". Just want to be safe.

I've gathered instances of uterine walls tearing happen during the procedure. The oh-so-reliable internet says these things happen due to inexperienced doctors or uteri (uteruses?) that have recently housed fetuses. I had an abortion in May but the receptionist booking my appointment said this wasn't a concern or consideration. I offered up the info - I was surprised she didn't ask. So, if anyone's comfortable talking about IUDs post-abortion, I'd be really grateful for those insights. I'm also particularly worried about how an IUD could affect my ability to get pregnant in the future, but posts here sort of got rid of that. Sort of.

I'd really like to know how crippling the pain was after the initial insertion. I'm a cyclist, and I'll likely be riding to and from Planned Parenthood unless the consensus on immediate pain weighs in hard. Please just tell me its not as bad as it all seems, I'm staying away from Google and "Chinese (middle aged Burning Man women) Medicine" blogs to keep what's left of my calm un-damaged.

I've worked at Planned Parenthood and in abortion care at several private clinics too. I also have an IUD (Mirena) myself. I've seen protocols both where patients come in for a pre-IUD appointment and where they don't have to. So even though some clinics/clinicians prefer to have some things done earlier, as some other posters have mentioned, it's really not necessary. Everything that's done prior to the insertion can be done that same day. Yes, you need STI testing - chlamydia and gonorrhea specifically - but they can do that testing the same day, even though the results won't come back for a few days. If either test comes back positive you absolutely need treatment, but as long as you get treated very quickly there shouldn't be any harm from having the IUD in already. Other than that, you just need a pregnancy test. They might not tell you that they're doing this testing, but if you give a urine sample before the insertion you can rest assured they're doing a pregnancy test and gonorrhea/chlamydia testing. And all testing should be included in the cost of the procedure (though it's not a bad idea to make sure of that beforehand if you're paying out of pocket? If you have insurance that covers the IUD, it should cover the testing too.)

Barring a copper allergy you can be pretty confident you won't die upon contact with this thing. ;)

Your uterus will be measured to make sure it can accommodate the IUD. That's done right before insertion and can be painful, but it's over very quickly. In fact, since you've been pregnant it's likely to be less painful and easier to have the IUD put in than for someone who's never been pregnant (though of course that varies from person to person).

Regarding your abortion in May, please don't worry that the receptionist didn't ask you about your pregnancy history! She's right that it shouldn't be a concern or consideration. Clinically, there's no reason not to insert IUDs immediately post-abortion and some clinics do that. By now, six months after your abortion, your uterus is totally normal and back to how it was before the pregnancy (assuming you didn't have any complications from the abortion). Tearing your uterine walls is an unbelievably small risk and it's not increased because of your abortion at all. If anything, I think women who have never been pregnant have a slightly higher risk because their uteri (that sounds weird - I prefer uteruses, haha) are likely smaller. But seriously, a uterine perforation is a teeny tiny risk that I would not worry about at all. Even if it happens, your uterus will almost certainly be able to heal with no lasting damage. And as long as there's no uterine perforation or other injury from insertion, your ability to get pregnant should not be impacted by the IUD after the IUD is removed. Especially with ParaGard. With Mirena, it can take a few months or up to a year for fertility to return to what it was pre-IUD, but with copper your body basically gets back to normal as soon as it's out.

I'm totally happy to answer any questions you have specifically about your abortion (and IUD or whatever) - it's my main interest and experience and I love talking about it! So please feel free to PM me :)

Hope this helps! Bottom line - an IUD is incredibly safe, risks are really low, and your abortion shouldn't have any bearing on it.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Cat Catterson posted:

Abortions are apparently really expensive
If you need financial assistance, there are designated abortion funds. Here's a list of funds by state. The clinic where you made your appointment should also be able to tell you if they work with any local funds or offer any kind of assistance or payment plans.

Cat Catterson posted:

On the plus side I don't live in one of those crazy states where you have to talk to a counselor
Just so you know, I'm pretty sure all states require that you talk to a counselor pre-abortion. I used to work as an abortion counselor in several decidedly not-crazy states (New England), and it was still mandatory that all patients go through "informed consent" counseling as well as at least a brief discussion of their decision to ensure they were confident about having an abortion and not being pressured by anyone else. We weren't required to LIE to patients, though, about imaginary post-abortion syndromes or breast cancer risks or anything like that which is the case in some states.

Feel free to PM me, I've got loads of abortion info and love talking about it.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Any opinions on leaving Mirena in for 5 years versus 7 years? My 5-year anniversary is next year but I'm thinking about just leaving it in since I'm not ready to get pregnant and really don't feel like going through insertion more often than necessary. Apparently it's approved for 7 years in Europe and I know there's tons of evidence to support its efficacy past 5 years. Still, it feels a little nerve-wracking to flout FDA policy (not that FDA policy is typically based on EBP or consumers' best interest).

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Juniper posted:

Another Mirena trip report!

I had mine replaced (got the first in 2008, it went from approved for 5 years to 7 while I had it) on Thursday.

Where do you live? I know Mirena is approved for 7 years in parts of Europe but not in the U.S. yet, right?

So, this is not a recent trip report but I have had two Mirena insertions, not because I had the first one in for 5 years, but because my first one was non-FDA approved! Yeah, that was fun. I was one of the patients involved in this scandal a few years ago: http://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/2010/07/suit-filed-in-unapproved-iud-case.html (Summary: A bunch of ob-gyn practices in Rhode Island committed insurance fraud by importing Canadian IUDs at a fraction of the U.S. price and charging insurances for the full price. I have no doubt that Canadian IUDs are perfectly safe and effective but the whole thing was skeevy and I got it replaced basically for emotional peace of mind.)

My two insertions weren't bad, though. Sounding the uterus during the first insertion made me nearly jump off the table and almost not go through with it, but after she numbed my cervix with lidocaine I didn't really feel anything else. The second insertion (which I got elsewhere, obviously) I made my doctor give me the lidocaine before sounding and I didn't feel anything. I guess I'm lucky in how I respond to paracervical blocks and cervical/uterine stimulation generally, because I've seen lots of patients who a) have a really difficult time with the lido itself and b) are in a ton of pain despite the lido. (I used to work at a Planned Parenthood and assisted with lots of IUD inserts and surgical abortions.) Anecdotally I have a friend who had a vasovagal episode from insertion and another friend who needed to take misoprostol to dilate her cervix after several failed insertion attempts, so I definitely feel fortunate.

Only some mild cramping following both insertions and I haven't had a period in years. I'm thinking I'm going to leave this one in for 7 years, too. I'm coming up on the 5 year mark this summer and I just don't really feel like replacing it when there's solid evidence it's effective for longer. (I guess FDA approval is not the be-all end-all.)

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 15, 2015

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Speaking of Skyla/new IUDs, another one was just approved!

http://www.medicaldaily.com/liletta-actavis-hormonal-contraceptive-device-wins-fda-approval-323770

I'm not sure how Liletta is different than Mirena and Skyla, which both also release levonorgestrel, but hey we have approximately 20 brands of pill for every hormone combination so it's probably just capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

So, recently came back to working at Planned Parenthood after several years of pursuing and achieving my nursing degree, and wow things have changed! Specifically IUDs, of which there are now 100% more options than there were a few years ago (add Skyla and Liletta to the mix). I have not been able to get a decent answer about how Skyla and Liletta differ from Mirena except that they are both only approved for 3 years (though at least Liletta may eventually be approved for 5 it seems) and Skyla was kind of developed as a "nullips can have IUDs too!" even though really they could always have Mirena. I guess they are much cheaper than Mirena too, or at least Liletta is? Anyway just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these new IUDs, particularly if you switched from Mirena.

• Locked thread