Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cuckoo posted:

Thanks for letting me know about the alternate name.

I heard a lot of people seemed happy with Loestrin 24 Fe, but it sounds like that was discontinued. I'll ask the OBGYN though. And yeah, spotting and irregular periods are pretty normal with any hormonal birth control but I have never seen a case of breakthrough bleeding all day, every day, for weeks. Not only is it gross and embarrassing, but I also suffered from anemia/low iron symptoms during the duration of an endo period so a constant flow can't be a good long term solution. Will still give it at least a full month before throwing in the towel (or tampon :haw: ) because it's just so perfect otherwise.

From what I found they make the generic version of Loestrin 24 Fe, it's just Junel 24 Fe instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For whatever it's worth, my sex drive is normally pretty high, and with Implanon/Nexplanon it got a little higher if anything. I never tried another BC, though.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I wonder if maybe I need to switch from the generic brand pill to something different. I've felt for a few months now that my hormones are sort of out of control, lately though I've noticed a much lower sex drive, I've been more prone to mood swings and I've had four migraines this month compared to the usual only one, and I find I retain a lot of water and just am not losing any weight despite rigorous exercise and a good diet. For the record, I take the generic for three months straight, then have a withdrawal bleed and then repeat that cycle. Sometimes I have a regular period, sometimes it's light and last month it was absent. I don't know if I just have a hormone imbalance or what, but I'm talking to a doctor on Tuesday.

E: I had heard of progesterone only pulls but one of the reasons I switched to three months straight of the pill is one of my monthly issues was too much progesterone being produced and as a result my gums get swollen, I get canker sores and I basically get menstrual gingivitis.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 27, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I got Nexplanon a week ago and just wanted to check in, since whether or not it goes well I'll likely be posting about it here. So far so good. No bleeding yet, although I started breaking out almost instantly (I switched from the combo pill after using it for five years, and never had acne on that). Luckily I found a face wash from Lush that got it under control quickly.

I hope I'm in the 1/5 that stops getting a period on the implant!

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Hummingbirds posted:

I got Nexplanon a week ago and just wanted to check in, since whether or not it goes well I'll likely be posting about it here. So far so good. No bleeding yet, although I started breaking out almost instantly (I switched from the combo pill after using it for five years, and never had acne on that). Luckily I found a face wash from Lush that got it under control quickly.

I hope I'm in the 1/5 that stops getting a period on the implant!

Which face wash did you find that worked? When i switched from hbc to paraguard I started having even worse breakouts than before, especially around when I'm getting my period :(

I'm hoping for you, even though I still had mine super irregularly when I had my implant, I loved it and it was the best.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ilysespieces posted:

Which face wash did you find that worked? When i switched from hbc to paraguard I started having even worse breakouts than before, especially around when I'm getting my period :(

I'm hoping for you, even though I still had mine super irregularly when I had my implant, I loved it and it was the best.

Paragard buddies! :hfive:

I got the crazy acne when I first went off the pill too (and previously when I started it :rolleyes: ). It calmed down for the most part on my face, but I wish I could find a body wash that would help my back because that still breaks out a lot. :sigh: Phisoderm helps, but it's not perfect and no one sells it anymore.

As for face washes, I switched to the Garnier Blackhead Eliminating Scrub a few months ago and my face is SO much better. I used to basically have to coat my whole face in benzoyl peroxide cream everyday or I'd break out all over the place, but now I never need it and my skin is clearer than pretty much ever. It's a little pricey for my tastes, but it only takes a tiny pea-sized dab of cleanser to do your whole face so a tube lasts a really long time.

It's for pretty oily skin though, so you'll have to use your judgement about whether or not it'll work for your skin type. My guess is that oil was not my only problem and some exfoliation was needed too.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

ilysespieces posted:

It's called Herbalism. They also gave me a sample of something called Grease Lightning and I've been using both. Herbalism smells weird, but I'm really skeptical about face care products and I swear my skin looked better overnight. I'm really glad to have found something that worked, because I've always had clear skin (even as a teenager) and was sort of clueless as to what to do.

Thanks! I won't be too upset if I don't lose the period since I use reusable menstrual products, so it doesn't cost me anything to have random bleeding.

e: The link for herbalism says it's loving expensive but you can buy smaller containers. I think mine cost about $15 for 3.5 ounces. And you can always ask for a sample to try first.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 28, 2014

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Hummingbirds posted:

It's called Herbalism. They also gave me a sample of something called Grease Lightning and I've been using both. Herbalism smells weird, but I'm really skeptical about face care products and I swear my skin looked better overnight. I'm really glad to have found something that worked, because I've always had clear skin (even as a teenager) and was sort of clueless as to what to do.

Thanks! I won't be too upset if I don't lose the period since I use reusable menstrual products, so it doesn't cost me anything to have random bleeding.

e: The link for herbalism says it's loving expensive but you can buy smaller containers. I think mine cost about $15 for 3.5 ounces. And you can always ask for a sample to try first.

Thanks, totally have Grease Lightning and I need more shampoo so I'll pick up a sample when I head over.

Kimmalah posted:

Paragard buddies! :hfive:

Thanks!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Well after more bleeding all day every day, an on-time real period that felt literally exactly as bad as my regular Endometriosis periods, only to have it end and resume the constant spotting/bleeding, on top of randomly having terrifying episodes of shortness of breath whenever I lay down, I'm saying a hearty gently caress you to Lo Loestrin FE and going off of it for good today.

After a ton of Googling, I found that people with breakthrough bleeding issues seemed to get a lot of help from Lo Orval/Cryselle. Has anyone taken this brand? If so, how was it?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Breakthrough bleeding is a really common side-effect of all hormonal birth control, so it's always going to be a bit of a gamble no matter what.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I took Lo-Ovral/Cryselle for almost 10 years and I only had some breakthrough bleeding during my first few months on it. Never happened again. Obviously, ymmv because that's the deal with BC.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Do any of you have experience with RISUG or do you have any solid info on this? I found just a few very old 'mentions' on the forums here and most of the google results are hype and it is hard to filter out if this poo poo actually works / is any good.

I initially heard about it from Wired magazine a while ago: http://www.wired.com/2011/04/ff_vasectomy/
Now however our national press has also started mentioning it with promises about its arrival in 2017.

Whats the consensus on this development?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I recommend getting on their mailing list if you're interested. Last email I got was about how the primate trials are going swimmingly and they might be able to start human trials relatively soon.

If you're asking if it's a real thing, yes it is, it's already undergone human trials in India. But I don't think it's going to be available as soon as 2017.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
So because my brain jumps to the worst possible conclusion every time, tell me I am not crazy. Or that I am crazy and to simmer down.

I'm having the lightest bit of spotting right now. I've had my Mirena for over two years and haven't had a period since 2 weeks after I got it.

I've convinced myself this means my IUD is barreling out of my uterus as we speak. Even though logical Geolicious knows women with IUDs have full on periods every month. I can't feel my cervix, never have been able to, so I can't check my strings for reassurance.

This just finally a bit of lining built up enough to shed, right? This would have been my period week. Why am I insane? I don't even know why I am wigging out. I don't even have sex any more.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Well, if you can you could always just head to the doctor and ask them to check. I know it can be tough to get in short notice at the gyno, but even a GP or urgent care could look and see if you have something sticking out of your uterus. :v: I get kind of anxious about it myself so I always ask them to look and make sure whenever I go in for a yearly exam. You also might have better luck checking yourself if you squat when you do it, which kind of forces everything lower. I'm guessing you've tried that at some point in two years, but I'll just throw it out there.

In my own experience, sometimes your body just decides to react differently to birth control thanks to all kinds of factors - like spotting and my magically shortening period on the pill. I still occasionally spot with Paragard for no apparent reason but it's definitely still in there.

I wish I knew how to make you feel better about it, I know that anxiety well. :shrug:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I feel better today. My brain was just being a dick last night.

I am going to make a yearly check up appt soon, though. My last pelvic was 2012 so I probably need to get on that now that I have insurance again.

edit: and I have tried every position imaginable to feel my cervix. Being chubby + tiny hands + high cervix = not happening.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
There've been a couple times since I got my Mirena where I've had some super light spotting, it seemed like it was triggered by stress. Definitely get your exam taken care of, but I wouldn't worry unless it turns into a full-fledged deluge or starts being painful. :glomp:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I think it was something like "my body is doing a thing it hasn't done it a long while OMG WHY" But then I was like, settle down ladydude. You're fine.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Haha wow the warnings about Paragard causing heavy periods aren't joking. Between 7am and 4pm I've soaked thru two super heavy tampons.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Keska posted:

Haha wow the warnings about Paragard causing heavy periods aren't joking. Between 7am and 4pm I've soaked thru two super heavy tampons.

It wasn't until I got the Paragard that I knew they made a tampon absorbency beyond Super Plus called "Ultra" (or Tampax does anyway). :v: For a while there they were about all I could get away with using for more than a few hours at a time, but after a few months it calmed down. Now I rarely need them and just use the usual kind.

Black underwear is also good to have while you're getting used to the new period.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

It wasn't until I got the Paragard that I knew they made a tampon absorbency beyond Super Plus called "Ultra" (or Tampax does anyway). :v: For a while there they were about all I could get away with using for more than a few hours at a time, but after a few months it calmed down. Now I rarely need them and just use the usual kind.

Black underwear is also good to have while you're getting used to the new period.

I need to pick some of those up, hopefully I can get them on Amazon and use my Prime shipping. For real though, the first couple of months it was absolutely awful and I ruined so many pairs of panties it was ridiculous. I got mine in late April and this last period, which ended a few days ago, was not nearly as bad as the first couple, but still pretty heavy. Thankfully for me I haven't had cramps any worse than before I started any kind of hormonal birth control method.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ilysespieces posted:

I need to pick some of those up, hopefully I can get them on Amazon and use my Prime shipping. For real though, the first couple of months it was absolutely awful and I ruined so many pairs of panties it was ridiculous. I got mine in late April and this last period, which ended a few days ago, was not nearly as bad as the first couple, but still pretty heavy. Thankfully for me I haven't had cramps any worse than before I started any kind of hormonal birth control method.

Yeah, I have a week or two worth that's just all black (crotch and everything) so they're pretty much impossible to ruin. It's a lot like being a teenager again, because everything's different from the old routine so it's tough to handle at first.

I swear it gets better! We're terrible advertisements for Paragard. :haw:

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Haha, that's okay, I'm pretty committed to this thing... My ADD-addled brain was making it hard to remember to take the Pill on time, and now that's one less thing to worry about.

... Not that I'm getting laid on date night this week unless the boyfriend feels like parting the Red Sea...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Keska posted:

Haha, that's okay, I'm pretty committed to this thing... My ADD-addled brain was making it hard to remember to take the Pill on time, and now that's one less thing to worry about.

... Not that I'm getting laid on date night this week unless the boyfriend feels like parting the Red Sea...

It's an experience but it can be done. Towels and/or in the shower.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
drat you Skyla we were doing so well together. I haven't had a period in 6 months and it was fabulous and now you've messed it up. Granted this is absolutely nothing compared to how they used to be. Has anyone else had this happen? I know there's kinda an adjustment time so maybe this is my body finally adjusting to the hormones (I went from condoms only to Skyla)?

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

Unleashing the Fire Within

Explosions! posted:

drat you Skyla we were doing so well together. I haven't had a period in 6 months and it was fabulous and now you've messed it up. Granted this is absolutely nothing compared to how they used to be. Has anyone else had this happen? I know there's kinda an adjustment time so maybe this is my body finally adjusting to the hormones (I went from condoms only to Skyla)?

I'm not on Skyla but on Depo for a year and I just started spotting yesterday with some slight cramping. I have not had a period since the beginning few months and I thought they were gone for good. I'm not even close to my next shot (still another month away). Skyla is low dose progesterone so just like any progesterone only BC, irregular bleeding can be part of the package. I'm thinking of changing to Nexplanon but that contains an even lower dose of progesterone than the Depo and irregular bleeding is the number one side effect. Ugh.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I got my implant a few weeks ago and have gotten very low-grade cramps a few times but haven't spotted at all yet. We'll see if I get my period next week.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
As mentioned upthread, I had some spotting this past weekend after 2 years of radio silence from my uterus (unless you count the cramps). Birth control, man.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I don't even have a hormonal IUD but I still get random spotting here and there (which I definitely didn't before any/all birth control). Obviously with Skyla it's mostly the hormones, but I think just having something hanging out in your uterus probably doesn't help. :v:

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

AquarianFire posted:

I'm not on Skyla but on Depo for a year and I just started spotting yesterday with some slight cramping. I have not had a period since the beginning few months and I thought they were gone for good. I'm not even close to my next shot (still another month away). Skyla is low dose progesterone so just like any progesterone only BC, irregular bleeding can be part of the package. I'm thinking of changing to Nexplanon but that contains an even lower dose of progesterone than the Depo and irregular bleeding is the number one side effect. Ugh.

About 50% of women are amenorrheic (no bleeding for >90 days) after a year of Depo - this continues to increase to about 70% of women after two years. I'd recommend sticking with it if you've been happy with it overall. If irregular bleeding is a no-go for you, then Nexplanon is probably not for you since you're much more likely to stop having periods with Depo.

Nurse Chapel
Jan 16, 2014

I'm a doctor, not a nurse.
This is the wrong thread but pregnant cats :smith:

Nurse Chapel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 24, 2014

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Cat Catterson posted:

Condom failed, plan B failed, and now I'm pregnant. And I have sex like once every three months. Now I know why all my hair fell out and why all of a sudden all muscle converted to fat! Hooray! Abortions are apparently really expensive plus I have to wait two weeks because that's the first available appt they had. On the plus side I don't live in one of those crazy states where you have to talk to a counselor and look at baby pictures for 24 hours. But on the minus side no one will ever give me a tubal ligation because I "may want a babby some day."

Plus I can't take most BC because of my medication and the ones I could take gave me horrible side effects.

Kill me :suicide:

If you're getting a suction d and c, consider Mirena or Paragard at the time of the procedure.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Cat Catterson posted:

Condom failed, plan B failed, and now I'm pregnant. And I have sex like once every three months. Now I know why all my hair fell out and why all of a sudden all muscle converted to fat! Hooray! Abortions are apparently really expensive plus I have to wait two weeks because that's the first available appt they had. On the plus side I don't live in one of those crazy states where you have to talk to a counselor and look at baby pictures for 24 hours. But on the minus side no one will ever give me a tubal ligation because I "may want a babby some day."

Plus I can't take most BC because of my medication and the ones I could take gave me horrible side effects.

Kill me :suicide:

That sucks, have a kitten picture from imgur:

But seriously, :glomp:. That's really lovely and I hope you're doing okay. You're making the best choice for yourself and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise.
Paragard may work for you since it's non hormonal, and Mirena has a very low dose of hormones so the side effects are not nearly as bad as most hormonal birth control since the dose is contained to your lady parts, not absorbed through your body first. For all the bitching we do about our IUDs, they're pretty awesome.

I'm also joining the Mirena is making me randomly bleed this week after months of no periods club. :whatup: What the hell? Still, it's not close to what it was like on no birth control or even the pill but damnit, I was enjoying this no period thing.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Cat Catterson posted:

But on the minus side no one will ever give me a tubal ligation because I "may want a babby some day."

Of course I don't know how much research you've done on this specifically in your area, but I assure you no matter how young you are there ARE doctors out there who WILL sterilize you.
You can potentially find one by searching for your location here- http://sterilizationqa.livejournal.com/tag/

Nurse Chapel
Jan 16, 2014

It's birthing now :barf:

Nurse Chapel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 24, 2014

Nurse Chapel
Jan 16, 2014

Holy poo poo cats burst out a lot of kittens.

Nurse Chapel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 24, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
FYI I have absolute crazy metal allergies - I literally have welts on my hips from jeans. I'm allergic to nickel and niobium. gently caress my life right? I powered through scarring up my ear lobes with surgery grade stainless steel so my ear piercings will never close up. Now i've got like 3 pairs of titanium earrings. Thank god for etsy for making my fashion life a bit more fun.

However paragard gives me zero issues. If you are directly allergic to copper specifically - yes it will be a problem - but if you have a nickel allergy you will probably be fine. I've got the worst nickel allergy my allergist had encountered and she said go for it.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Cat Catterson posted:

Abortions are apparently really expensive
If you need financial assistance, there are designated abortion funds. Here's a list of funds by state. The clinic where you made your appointment should also be able to tell you if they work with any local funds or offer any kind of assistance or payment plans.

Cat Catterson posted:

On the plus side I don't live in one of those crazy states where you have to talk to a counselor
Just so you know, I'm pretty sure all states require that you talk to a counselor pre-abortion. I used to work as an abortion counselor in several decidedly not-crazy states (New England), and it was still mandatory that all patients go through "informed consent" counseling as well as at least a brief discussion of their decision to ensure they were confident about having an abortion and not being pressured by anyone else. We weren't required to LIE to patients, though, about imaginary post-abortion syndromes or breast cancer risks or anything like that which is the case in some states.

Feel free to PM me, I've got loads of abortion info and love talking about it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tigntink posted:

FYI I have absolute crazy metal allergies - I literally have welts on my hips from jeans. I'm allergic to nickel and niobium. gently caress my life right? I powered through scarring up my ear lobes with surgery grade stainless steel so my ear piercings will never close up. Now i've got like 3 pairs of titanium earrings. Thank god for etsy for making my fashion life a bit more fun.

However paragard gives me zero issues. If you are directly allergic to copper specifically - yes it will be a problem - but if you have a nickel allergy you will probably be fine. I've got the worst nickel allergy my allergist had encountered and she said go for it.

Copper allergies are so incredibly rare and unlikely, it's pretty much always the nickel or some other metal. And I've heard of a lot of women with nickel allergies who use Paragard no problem. If they do have a reaction, it's usually a rash that comes and goes with their period from what I've seen. I can understand why you wouldn't want to gamble on it if money is an issue, but babies and abortions are expensive too. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Hoooooly poo poo I am freaking out. I woke up this morning and everything down there is swollen and painful. It's probably just a reaction to the pH change from my weird Skyla period according to the doctor but if not it might be an STD and I am freaking out. I shouldn't have any though, they tested me in March before I got my IUD inserted and my boyfriend doesn't think he has any either. Some one please help me breathe until I can get my drat prescription filled and feel better. Boyfriend is not helpful because it's not his genitals that are doing a thing that they're not supposed to do.

• Locked thread