Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought I should add to this thread since there's an Essure story in the OP but no tubal ligation story (and the html to that story is kinda broken Eggplant...).
I considered putting this in the vasectomy thread, or starting a new female sterilization megathread, but this seems like a better home.

I got sterilized via tubal ligation @ 25. I was unmarried and had no children.
Hormonal birth control of all types causes me to become insane and suicidal, and in a long term relationship condoms were becoming depressing. I've never wanted children and always figured I'd get this done eventually. So shortly after college I decided to ask my doctor to refer me and he did.
The gyno surgeon was hesitant at first, but after a fifteen minute conversation discussing every other form of birth control available to me, and my refusal to even consider an IUD, he was confident that I understood what I was asking for and had done my homework.

I cannot speak of costs because :canada:, it was free.
Another key feature here is that you can't sue doctors for surgeries you consent to that were performed properly, which may be a factor in allowing younger people to get sterilized without much trouble vs America's lawsuit fetish. I know someone who had her tubal @ 21, also childless and unmarried.
Essure at that time was new to Canada and was only being performed by one doctor in the entire province. Also I opted for the tubal because they're impossible to gently caress up and you wake up sterile, whereas Essure can have serious placement issues/might not work at all and involves waiting and follow-up tests

When the surgeon came in to the ER I high fived him. He was clearly not used to patients being this jazzed about surgery.
I was prepped and had my legs put up in tall J-shaped stirrups. I signed a 2nd form in pre-op giving them permission to perform a standard gyno exam + pap smear while he was in there, so that was convenient.
Tubal ligation is performed through laparoscopic surgery. A scope is inserted into the navel, another one through the pubic area, and the abdomen is inflated with gas. The fallopian tubes have sections cut out of them and the ends of these cuts are burned. It is an exceptionally fast surgery, one of the most performed surgical procedures on the planet, and is the #1 birth control method in use world-wide. All the nurses prepping me in the operating room reassured me - they'd all had tubals as well.

Woke up 3 hours later high as balls in the recovery room. It took longer to wake up from the anesthetic than the surgery itself. The procedure only took half an hour vs two hours in recovery. The surgeon came in to tell me it all went well, he had nothing of interest to report about my ovaries or uterus "And hey your appendix and internal organs all look great too!", Good to have someone take a peek at my liver from the inside I suppose. He's a weird guy.
I felt somewhat gypped in that I was given no fancy drugs, only a note to take plain old Ibuprofen as needed.

Recovery took about 5 days. It felt like a horse had kicked me in the abdomen. I had taken the week off work as I had a rather physical job, but someone with a desk job could easily be back quicker than that, as long as they could wear loose fitting pants. The first 24 hours were spent in bed, waiting for the leftover gas to dissipate so I could sit up without shoulder pain. After that it was just a matter of the extreme soreness fading away.
The thing no one warned me about was the deep yellow bruise that developed slowly right under my belly button from all the scope movement. It was pretty gross looking, as were the stitches and dried blood coming out of my bellybutton.

What followed the recovery week was 2 weeks of no sex, no tampons, no masturbation, nothing.
The first time I had sex afterwards, I cried because i was so happy to finally be free from pregnancy forever. The bother of surgery was nothing compared to this. It was worth it a thousand times over. I was free.

Despite any nasty myths you may have heard, my period was unchanged afterwards. My cycle was a bit... confused for the first few months, as is to be expected with any surgery of this nature, but it went back to normal quickly enough. There is no physical reason for this to affect your periods. Your body has no idea that this happened. Your hormones remain the same.
I have a scar hidden inside my bellybutton, and another that was hidden by pubes but now it's faded away so much that I can't even find it.

That surgery was 8 years ago. I'm 33 now and being sterile still totally rules every single day.

Resource for ladies looking to get sterilized when younger and/or childless: This community lists experiences and doctor info for gynos willing to help. Yes it's Livejournal but its the only resource of this kind that I know of: http://sterilizationqa.livejournal.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Erysipelothrix posted:

Vasectomy is definitely on the table as far as long term options go. He is only 28 years old though and we don't think anyone will perform one on him since he is under 30 with no children. I would get sterilized if I could but the same problem goes for me (27 with no children).

Seconding what Reformed Tomboy said, you'll never know unless you ask!
I was told by everyone that no doctor would sterilize me, and assumed that was true, but when I talked to my doc about it he had no problem getting me a tubal ligation @ 25 and no kids and even asked me why I waited so long to bring it up (story on pg 108).

Seriously, ask around. You're potentially going through all this b/c hassle for nothing.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Canadian Bakin posted:

I've been considering the idea of permanent sterilization for some time now and I was wondering if any of the ladies in this thread have links relevant to the Canadian Health care system on what I should research for tubal ligation. I'd like to read up on things a bit more and the advice I've seen in here has been pretty solid.

I'm just gonna PM you since this post was over a month ago, but for anyone else who wants to read a thing- here's my story earlier in the thread about getting a tubal.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 22, 2014

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Cat Catterson posted:

But on the minus side no one will ever give me a tubal ligation because I "may want a babby some day."

Of course I don't know how much research you've done on this specifically in your area, but I assure you no matter how young you are there ARE doctors out there who WILL sterilize you.
You can potentially find one by searching for your location here- http://sterilizationqa.livejournal.com/tag/

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, anyone else's experience with side effects from other kinds of hormonal birth control will be useless info for you. That's the magic of hormones!
All you can do is pick something else and try it. If that messes you up, try something else, etc.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Sneakers posted:

Ok so I went to get a Paragard a couple of days ago and i's going well so far, but I went to check the strings and I can't even find my uterus. Like, I bring my knees up to my chin and insert my fingers but my cabal just keeps going and going. Am I doing this wrong? =/

Cervix, dude, you're looking for your cervix. You'll never find your uterus.
There's no need to get in a fancy position, just reach in while you're sitting on the toilet and bear down (push with your vag muscles or pretend you're taking a dump if you don't know which muscles those are specifically). And yes it's possible that your fingers aren't long enough.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Toriori posted:

My right leg has been hurting on and off for a few weeks and I keep switching between "didn't stretch enough" and "prepare for blood clot death".

You're soooo not alone on this :cry::hf::cry:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Toriori posted:

I just get so paranoid. I will ask my doctor today when I go in.

It's took 4 separate conversations with my doc reassuring me (especially since I'm 34 and only quit smoking last year) before I worked up the nerve to start on birth control. I still spent the whole first month convinced it was going to kill me. Now it's more like... every three days?
It's ridiculous.
My doctor is a patient patient man.

I don't know what this panic obsession is with blood clots. No drug is 100% safe, we all know it. Tylenol can kill you for fucks sake but I never think of that like a crazy person.
:smith:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

The Cleaner posted:

A bit of a blanket question, but I thought I'd ask it anyway...

I'm 32 and my girlfriend is 43. She is the oldest I've ever dated, however she is in immaculate health. We've been together six months and we always use condoms. At this point she is considering just using birth control pills. Neither of us have any kids, and I'd like to keep it that way. I've pretty much always used condoms 100% of the time all the time.

How likely is it she could get pregnant at 43 while on birth control? Some websites say it is a 2% or 3% possibility. Other people say it would be pretty hard to purposely get her pregnant even off birth control. Which makes me wonder. I guess I am just trying to estimate the statistical probability, or if I should be paranoid and just stick to condoms?

I don't know why paranoia would cause you to stick with condoms, considering hormonal birth control is much more effective and much harder to mess up than just condoms...

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

The Cleaner posted:

Also my issue is that my gf believes because she is over 40 that she cannot get pregnant at all.
:lol:

Have you considered vasectomy?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah dude, most failures from the pill come from it having to be taken perfectly every day, and we're far beyond that now. There's options that only need attention once a week or once a month all the way to once every 5 years.

But if you're sure you don't want kids, go get a vasectomy. Stop reading horror stories. Being sterile owns in ways I can barely describe.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Toriori posted:

So my question now, is it a good idea to pop a Tylenol or something in the morning if the cramps are still bad?

Ibuprofen, and I'd start taking it now if you really want to stop things.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Prions! posted:

So after 5 weeks continuous bleeding on Nexplanon I'm looking into switching to Mirena, my favourite part of the whole experience has been crying over nothing for a month. Has anyone had the same on an IUS or is it strictly an implant thing? I'm sick to death of this.

There's no side effects exclusive to any one form of hormonal birth control, hormones affect every single person individually and totally differently.
Mirena might do the exact same thing to you, or nothing at all. No way to know.
(FUN)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Toriori posted:

Would I have seen or felt it had it been expelled? :ohdear:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

ilysespieces posted:

women in long term hetero relationships not using hormonal birth control but also trying to prevent pregnancy (a concept many people on reddit had trouble grasping

:what:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
The reddit part

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Hell yeah tubal buddy.

If it was laproscopic you're gonna get a sweet yellow bruise under your navel. Very strange looking.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
My doctor gave zero fucks about getting me on birth control even though I've been sterilized a decade ago, just so I could end my period.

I'm 34 so he assured me that the age 35 thing is garbage and not at all in line with current knowledge or research.
You can take combined hormonal birth control safely until your 50s, unless you smoke or have existing health issues.

And he didn't say it like "Ohhh I can see why you'd be concerned", he said it like "Why would you even think being over 35 matters, you quit smoking so wtf?"

This is not a thing, people.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Thinly veiled anti-choice mixed with thinly veiled racism (culturalism? I'm blanking on the right term here).
Sex selective abortion is a huge thing in China and India, and so the scaaaary immigrants need to be stopped. It's a problem but limiting abortion is not the answer. And it being called "sex selective" when only female fetuses are the ones ever getting terminated is... ugh.

Googling "sex selective abortion" will open up the shitstorm for ya.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Birth control implants are absolutely available in Canada. NOPE :canada:

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 6, 2015

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

cash crab posted:

:( seriously? he told me that they weren't. well, that's good, that's another option.

Wait hold up, apparently it was taken off the market here in 2000 which explains my confusion since I knew chicks who had it in highschool/college.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

MoosetheMooche posted:

Update: It seems the box has a label from the pharmacy saying it expires April 16th, 2015. However, the manufacturer's expiry date (also on the box) says April 2017. What's the deal with that....

Nuvarings must be used within 4 months of being taken out of cold storage @ the pharmacy. That's what the pharmacy label would ideally be listing, that date. All mine have "use by" dates printed on them to reflect that. So I'm guessing she bought it December 16th?

The package date is the expiry for the ring overall if it's not sold. That means nothing to you. 4 months from dispensing is all that matters to the consumer.

Note that the 4 month expiration date is "use BY", so if it's inserted on or before that date it's fine.

She should call the pharmacy and ask them about all this though.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 7, 2015

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I refer you to the back of the box itself:

They don't have to be stored in the fridge, they are meant to be kept at room temp, but that depends on where you live of course.
I live in a cold place and it will only get near 30c (86f) for like two weeks in August, so these will only go in the fridge then. Hot places will need the fridge.

Once they leave the cold storage of the pharmacy it's over and the 4 month count begins. Storing it in the fridge will not change or extend this.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Anne Whateley posted:

How do you think the pharmacist's fridge's 35-46° differs from the patient's fridge's 35-46°?

Because it's left that temperature in the time period from them taking it out, giving it to you, and you transporting it to said fridge.
(This gets re-explained to me every time I pick them up)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
You're not going to get a more definitive answer than straight from the company itself.
Any answer a pharmacist gave you would come from Merck.

Use condoms or don't have sex during that time period if you're worried despite that.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
This could be the place, or you could start a thread in The Goon Doctor and get medical professional's opinions on it as well if you want that. Or both.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

You mentioned months ago that Nexplanon was making you moody and crazy just like Nuvaring did, please get that thing out of you and get help for your eating disorder :ohdear:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Ask a pharmacy perhaps

nevermind, do that vvvvvvv

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 12, 2015

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Quincy posted:

Plus, it's expensive - tampons and pads are priced ridiculously high, of course. I would be donating to a worthy cause, but sorry, I've got tampons to buy.

Dude, menstrual cup. Buy one. Kiss tampons goodbye.

Also possibly switch to cloth pads?
But menstrual cup, for realz.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

ilysespieces posted:

I have been trying to convince myself to go cup ever since I switched to paraguard and my periods have been heavy as butts, any specific one you recommend? I'm terrified of making a mess of myself but I'm so tempted. There are only so many super jumbo tampons one can scour amazon prime for before getting frustrated.

Get whichever one fits your price range and has agreeable shipping to you.
Their differences are minimal and only really become apparent when you get used to using one and try other kinds, if ever.

Just get the larger size of whatever brand.

You can use pads as a backup while you get through the learning curve (or all the time if you have a heavy flow like I did).

Before ending my period w/ birth control I used a cup for 10 years. Best purchase EVER.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 30, 2015

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

I imagine the ladies who have had successful tubals are probably too busy feeling free and getting laid to post in this thread.

Yes that, but I also use birth control to completely stop my period now too so I'm in here anyway hello friend.

I had my tubal @25, my post about it in this thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382303&pagenumber=108&perpage=40#post418413431

I have no tips other than it was the greatest day of my life, waking up sterile, and you're going to develop a huge yellow bruise under your navel that they never told me about so be ready for that. Recovery was uhhhhh recovery, stay lying down. Prepare for farts that smell like hairspray as the gas leaves your abdomen!
I'd still do it all over again if I had to. That was 9 years ago.

Your risk of ectopic pregnancy is greatest in the first 2 years. But stop googling this. It's one of the most performed surgeries in the world.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

My gyno offered to do that thing where they cauterize the inside of your uterus so you never get another period again, which sounds metal af. I opted out of that this time, but he said to just let him know if I decide to get it later. Is that not an option for you?

That's called endometrial ablation (one brand name is Novasure) and it's cons outweigh the pros for me, specifically that if it's done when you're pre-40 there's a chance that drat uterus heals itself and you need it burned out again.
That and descriptions of the smell because you're awake for it. Nope for me.
:barf:

It's gonna be my last resort only if this birth control thing doesn't work out.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Kimmalah posted:

Scudworth, did you have to do much before the surgery? I know sometimes you have to have pre-op testing and all kinds of stuff. I'd like to maybe go out of town or something during the stupid waiting period.

Just basic pre-op, a physical and blood tests about a week before.

Fully removing the fallopian tubes is a much larger surgery and unnecessary when they're just doing a 20 minute snippy-snip instead. They don't remove the tubes unless you've got different issues. It's not that easy.

The gyno told me this when I asked the same thing, since every single woman has asked him this before being sterilized.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Pig Head posted:

It's just weird to go in with a camera and have to hunt around for them. Or maybe it's not at all.

What hunting? The tubes are right where they are, same place for everyone. They aim for the pelvis, push your intestines out of the way and they're staring right at Captain Uterus & friends.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I recommend staying down for the gas pain. Stay lying down and let it all fart out. The more you get up the more it will move up to your shoulders.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Longest 2 weeks of my life.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Explosions! posted:

Awesome for you! I'm glad they don't seem to be giving you any trouble so far.

Question for people who have already been through a tubal: how long did it take you to get back to work? Everything I'm reading says 1-3 days but I do a pretty physical job with a lot of twisting. I'm scheduled for a Friday surgery, will I hate myself trying to go back Tuesday?

I had a physical job at the time and took a week off and was glad for it. I'd not suggest less than 5 days. 5 days in addition to Friday.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Explosions! posted:

Tubal adventure update: just got told that recovery time would be 2-4 weeks?!

What?!

Yeah not really. 2+ weeks until you can go to the gym and be fully active and such. Your abdomen feels hosed for at least a week, week and a half but you'll still be out of bed and normal. Just a bit weak and ouchy.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Did you know that Tylenol can kill you? Just straight up kill you.

You already know this is a ridiculous issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Kimmalah posted:

according to them they could only do the other methods if my uterus/tubes were enlarged due to a recent pregnancy.

Heyyyy that's complete bullshit. Complete and total garbage. You are being lied to and that's creepy.

You are being lied to by a doctor or an entire system who does not want to permanently sterilize a childless person.
I am furious on your behalf.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread