Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

GabrielAisling posted:

Here is my problem: If the hormones are causing my depression, I can't go back to taking them. The anxiety is so bad it interferes with everyday tasks like getting out of bed in the morning. I am also allergic to nickel, so a copper IUD isn't a good choice for me, even if the entire insertion process didn't freak me the gently caress out. Has anyone else experienced depression/anxiety as a side effect of hormonal birth control?

Call the Paragard people and ask for a sample. You may not actually react to the amount of nickel that's in the IUD. When I called them for the OP, that's what they suggested doing. I feel ya on imagining the nickel skin reaction + uterus :stare: :cry: but it's worth looking at.

Alternatively: You've only been on combined pills (= have both estrogen and progestin). Often estrogen is responsible for a lot of the mood side effects iirc. Talk to your healthcare provider about trying a progestin-only method like a minipill. Once you see if you have side effects on that, you can consider longer term low hormone options like Implanon, Mirena, or Skyla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

InEscape posted:

Alternately, it would be a very good skill to learn how to take medication at the same time every day. My trick with BC was to not turn off the alarm until the pill was in my hand.

I think NL's advice about test-driving a minipill to see if Implanon could be a good fit for you is good advice, but it may just turn out that you're a condoms-only (plus spermicide/female condoms etc etc) kind of person.

I agree with this post.

One thing that helped me take my pill was that I started keeping it in my wallet/purse so that I had it absolutely anytime, anywhere. If it's in a very convenient place like that it makes it easier.

Finally, I use my Diva cup with my Mirena and all is good. IUD+cup club for life. :frogc00l:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Sockmuppet posted:

A friend of mine got pregnant while on a contraceptive implant, right before she was scheduled to replace it, but her doctor assured her that the symptoms she was concerned about were just side effects, and inserted a new one. Nine months later, boom, magical surprise baby.
I guess my advice is to pee on a stick if you're the least bit concerned.

(Like Anne said, she was pretty huge, which explains both the getting pregnant bit and the surprise baby bit.)

:stare: Did she notice before labor, or is this one of those 'I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" things?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

GabrielAisling posted:

Even the good pregnancy tests are pretty cheap nowadays. And if you end up having a period, you can always get a menstrual cup and be rid of tampons forever.

Content, so as not to start a cup derail:

The estrogen-laden brand pill the nurse put me on is so weird the pharmacy didn't even have it. It's supposed to be here today though, and I'm terrified that I'm gonna end up exactly where I was two weeks ago with the depression. If I stay like this, I can go off my antidepressants and be able to write again!
I don't know what to do. I kind of want to go see a real gyno and talk to him/her (preferably her) about my options. The health center has plenty of adverts for the big brands like mirena and implanon, so I'm sure they're able to do them, but it seems like she's just pushing old pill after old pill at me because it's all she really knows how to do.

I have had good luck with nurse practitioners (I'm assuming this is what you mean because a nurse can't prescribe) in the past, but if you're interested in non-pill/patch/ring type options, then yeah the nurse practitioners can't prescribe them. You should be able to see an MD at your health center if you insist on it.

Remember that the idea that it's estrogen in your pill is causing your side effects is just a suggestion from a stranger on the internet. We do not know that. You can say you want to try a minipill (use backup condoms at the same time to be safe if you're bad at pills) and you can be firm about it, but you do not know for sure what you're reacting to.

I also don't necessarily recommend jumping off your antidepressants anytime soon because sadly 2 weeks is not that long of a 'good period' :( Are you under the care of a psychiatrist or just the health center doctors?

re: periods, Mirena. I still get them, and they're slightly irregular (28 +/- 4 days, roughly) but basically the same as before I was on the pill.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I am really just so happy for you :3: It sounds like this was an amazing life change for the better. I hope you get your pain sorted out soon.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kaini Industries posted:

I've had my Mirena for about 2 years now. Since starting, I've had my period twice (about once per year). I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences this? I've read some forums online about similar situations, and it seems like everyone freaks out about it, thinking there's something wrong...but since this has happened to me before (my last period was about 15 months ago) and nothing seemed wrong, I'm not really worried. I'm just curious how common this is.

I think it's 20% of Mirena users who lose their periods entirely within the first year, and even more after that. Anyway yeah not an issue. Called "amenorrhea" if you want to google it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
That sucks :( Unfortunately being on birth control is kinda like the stock market... Past performance does not predict future returns. It doesn't matter if it was a-okay in the past; sometimes everything goes to hell for no/minor reasons. If you're concerned then you can call your doctor's office and talk to them, but it will probably clear up in a week or so.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Gentay posted:

Hey Goon Ladies, long time reader but first time asking a question. I'm not sure if anyone might know an answer but asking wont hurt and I trust the information presented here. I live in Texas and am currently taking Lo Estrin 24 Fe. I've been on it for several years (2-3) and I've noticed some pricing discrepancies during those years. During the first 1.5 years I (insurance was blue cross blue shield) would pay $80.00 for a 3 month supply. Then in the second year, I only paid $50.00 for a 3 month supply. The last half of the year my family changed insurances to Etna (the pharmacy never asked so I never thought to tell them of the change). Today I picked up my 3 month supply and I paid $0.00. I asked the clerk if she knew anything and her only suggestion was maybe I hit my deductible.

Has anyone else ever had weird pricing amounts with their prescriptions or any thoughts as to why I paid nothing? I know the president made the change saying that birth control will be covered by insurance but I thought that only covered generics. Thanks for any adivce.

Nope covers everything. :patriot:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Invalid Octopus posted:

I was on implanon for about 10 months during 2010/2011, and had a miserable experience – nonstop bleeding for the duration, incredibly depressed, and cramping. Since then, I've just been relying on condoms, but I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an IUD. I've been leaning towards paragard, but would Mirena be such a bad idea, considering my history?

Ooh that's tricky. Mirena is considerably less hormone than Implanon. Skyla, a relatively new hormonal IUD approved for nulliparous women, has even less hormone. It's 3 years instead of 5. I dunno... If the hormones weren't working for you, I'd probably say go for the Paragard. The idea of heavier periods puts me off personally but if it's between that and constant bleeding then it's probably a better choice.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Invalid Octopus posted:

I already have moderately heavy and long-lasting (7 days min) periods, so the idea of no periods at all is just so tempting. For what it's worth, I'm a student in Ontario, and my student union insurance covers $250 worth of IUD per (academic?) year. But, as I have a tendency towards depression and anxiety even without BC, the mental side effects are pretty off-putting. I just wish I could know what I was getting into :sigh:

e: also an american citizen, so I guess I could pick up the skyla over there!

Depression as a side effect is tricky. When you were on Implanon, were you otherwise being treated for your depression etc.? How about when you haven't been on it? Are you being treated now?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kerfuffle posted:

Anyone happen to know if that new Skyla IUD has the same acne problems Mirena has? I know it's pretty new, so I'm not expecting much conclusive stuff for at least a few years.

e: god dammit

Maybe someday :negative:

It's the same hormone... It's less of it, so there's that. FWIW I didn't get acne from Mirena :v: I'm still not totally sure how much of the stories about acne with mirena is due to coming off combined pills (that tend to help acne) rather than from the hormone itself, but that's no-acne-having-person skepticism so perhaps not worth much.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 1, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yeah, I'd call. Non-cramping pain would be the trigger for me.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

sexily posted:

Speaking of the cup, I purchased one recently but the insert says to consult my doctor prior to using if I have an IUD. Is it bad to use divacup with an IUD? I was all excited to not use tampons anymore.

Heeyyyy so um. I have been using my divacup with an IUD for 2+ years. Just now, welp, I didn't break the seal and suddenly there was a plastic rod poking out of my cervix. I pushed it back in (:gonk: I know) as much as possible. Is this a "see a doctor tomorrow" thing or a "see a doctor on Monday" thing? I'm out of town right now and it's the weekend so I'd have to go to urgent care instead of the lady I usually see back in my state. (e: I guess "emergency room" is an option too but that seems like overkill and I don't think anyone's going to respond that soon)

So yeah that can actually happen, ladies!

E again: I'm kinda freaking myself out so I'm thinking tomorrow...

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

fork bomb posted:

FWIW, I believe E.W. has been using a cup for a while now and had nothing but good things to say about it in conjunction with an IUD. Expulsion is an extreme possibility, not the norm.

Yeah, this is definitely true. I just didn't break the seal because lazy, and historically I've also been pretty bad at actually getting a good seal so both of those things contribute. I have not been to the doctor yet. I called my insurance's nurseline and she basically read me the package instructions on when to see a doctor (using more than 1 pad in 2 hours or something, odors, fever, etc.) but it reassured me enough that I think it'll be okay through tomorrow. I am not in pain except see below under the spoiler.

Here's how it was: I went to pull my cup out, got that "oh gently caress punched in the cervix" feeling you can get from certain sexual positions maybe. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's not a lasting pain so much as a "oh sonofabitch oh okay well I'd like to not do that again." Pushing it back in (:downs:??) definitely hurt more and continued to hurt for a while. That night it hurt but um a lot of that had to do with the fact that (Spoilered for toilet talk. Not really NMS at all, but a lady doesn't talk about these things in public.) I'm rather gassy so there was limited space all up in there and it was under pressure. Taking ibuprofen and farting (the human body is a beautiful thing) helped. Since then it's only hurt when gassy or making any kind of serious bowel movement. It's still not quite in the right place and I can feel that sometimes when I move. I can also tell it's still sitting in my cervix a bit. Tomorrow I will definitely be going to the health center and probably have it taken out. I'll post about that when it happens.

(If you had a bad insertion and were in a lot of pain then, then probably this would suck a lot more for you. I apparently have a pretty :black101: cervix.)

For right now, I am thinking I'll probably not get another IUD. I really really have had a good Mirena experience overall and I do suggest people consider it seriously. This experience doesn't change my overall positive opinion of Mirena & the IUD generally at all. It does change my opinion of my own capacity to hurt myself through laziness/stupidity/inattention, however. If I have to choose between the cup and an IUD, I choose the cup because gently caress pads forever gently caress them I hate them (I've been wearing them since obviously >:[) and tampons aren't much better. I will probably talk to my doctor about Implanon instead.

Kimmalah posted:

My doctor at Planned Parenthood told me that expulsion (which I guess is pretty close in your case) wasn't really worth an emergency room visit, but more a "come in to the clinic at the first opportunity" thing. Of course I didn't have complicating factors like being out of town.

I'm sorry this happened. Your situation is one reason why I personally don't feel comfortable using cups, because I know I'm too absent-minded to remember to break the seal every single time. :gonk:

Thank you for this. It made me feel better :)

fine-tune posted:

Can you call the urgent care facility near you to ask about this sort of thing? They may still say "come in now please", but it's possible they'll just tell you to go to your GP on Monday. When I either didn't break the seal or pinched my strings (they were really long), I pulled my Paragard clean out. While that sounds really awful, it was just a cramp and then there it was. I kept an eye on things for the next couple of days and didn't bother going into my GYN for another month or so. Try to relax and probably switch to pads for the rest of this cycle.

Thanks to you too. I didn't see this until now. Yeah, if I hadn't pushed it back in I could probably have pulled it out. I was considering it.

BULLETKISS posted:

I just started reading this thread, but I wanted to share my experience with the Essure permanent birth control procedure that I got on 19 March 2013.

Aaaand thanks for this. I'm going to link it in the OP if that's okay :)

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 24, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure if I should post it since you've already done it, but when I was looking up stuff about expulsion they pretty much all said "don't try to push it back in." And if your doctor doesn't bring it up, you might want to ask about prophylactic antibiotics since it's technically been down in the vaginal canal and was basically reinserted without any kind of sterile technique.

Oh yeah, I realized that fairly quickly afterward. :saddowns:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pick posted:

This is going to seem kind of weird, but I can't seem to find the right search terms to ask and I'm not sure if I'm worried over nothing. I have the Mirena IUD, and it stopped my periods. Yay, awesome. Except it seemed to have come back somewhat about ten days ago. I wasn't too worried about it, really, since it didn't seem aggressive and I figured that things like that come and go. However, I did a bit of manual investigation, and the threads don't seem to be coming out of my cervix like they used to, they seem to be coming out substantially to the side. And I'm not sure if this is menstrual bleeding any more, because now it hurts in there when it didn't before. Is this some sort of menstrual cervix soreness combined with totally normal bleeding, or have the strings passed through flesh they shouldn't have? I intend to call in tomorrow, I suppose, but it'd be nice to know if anyone has any experience with this.

Are they still coming out of the cervix hole, or like, out of the side of it? If just the actual hole but to the side a bit, it's probably fine. Your cervix moves around throughout the month like a tiny space asteroid worm in Star Wars, so the position of the strings is going to change too. I also had lighter periods for a long time with my Mirena, but they started to be more normal about a year and a half in. Still lighter than before, but more like real periods. I think it varies.

Did your cervix hurt before you went poking at it?

skeetied posted:

I've had a Mirena for about a year now following the birth of my son. Recently, I spot every time I work out. I have my annual in three weeks, but I'm not sure if this is something I should call about now. The last time I complained about spotting, my midwife just told me to take a high dose of ibuprofen until it stopped, but I would rather not do that every time I work out. Has anyone else had this happen?

That sucks but probably it's just one of those things. Are you getting periods otherwise? At your annual tell your doctor about it but for now unfortunately I'd just wear a cup or pad while you work out.

Trip report
I should probably post the results of my saga~ So on Monday I was :tinfoil: enough that I decided to go to the Emergency Room. Three hours, a pelvic exam, and an ultrasound later, it turns out I managed to push my IUD back up where it belonged. "A little low" but actually not an abnormal placement. :black101: Wednesday I had my for reals doctor appointment and she had a look and a feel and said basically that (a) it's still effective as an IUD, (b) if I'm not having any tenderness or infection symptoms then I probably don't need to worry about that for now, (c) the only thing about a low one is that it's more likely to expel, and (d) she didn't see any reason to pull it unless I wanted to. :shrug: So I'm keeping it and I'll try to be aware of any pain or fever or whatever would indicate infection, and I need to be on guard for expulsion more than before. My doctor was pretty surprised I managed to push it back up where it belonged (still not the recommended course of action), and was sort of bemused because she'd just had someone asking about Divacup + Mirena. I told her about the study that says cups don't increase expulsion risk and emphasized that if you break the seal it's a-okay, soooo yeah. Throughout this whole thing I have felt like a real nerd/kinda smug because the only BC fact I didn't know of all the stuff I've been told was that the difference between Nexplanon and Implanon is that the former is visible on x-rays.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pick posted:

No, it doesn't seem to be coming out of the cervix hole, and the blood looks pretty fresh, so I have an appointment to get it checked out on Monday.

Yeah, but I wouldn't expect that to be so strange when you're on your period. Maybe it is, but since the whole package tends to hurt then, I tend to leave it alone and don't know how much the cervix aches in particular.

Yeah that's definitely not normal. If possible see if you can get in to see your doctor today. I'm sure you'll be fine until Monday, but personally I wouldn't want to sit around with a bleeding, possibly pierced cervix. :cry:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Maybe try a progesterone-only pill for a while? All the ones you've been on have been combined. You could try a minipill first before you commit to something like Implanon or Mirena.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
double postin~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vozr9vHeMo
This is a nice explanation of how birth control in general works, not just Plan B.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yeah click the ? under my name to wade through my posts for Mirena info. I recently had a partial expulsion and I'm still gung-ho on them if that makes you feel better. The only reason I had the expulsion is because I did a dumb thing and didn't break the suction on my menstrual cup, too :downs:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Oh jeez that's exactly my biggest fear, since I've been using a Diva Cup for a couple years now and I would be heartbroken to have to stop using it. But it's not going to pull out an IUD as long as you break the suction every time?

Yeah pretty much. The other danger is getting ahold of one of the strings while pulling it out. There was definitely a study recently that found no increased risk of IUD expulsion with a menstrual cup.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I'm coining a new medical term: acaeromenorrhea, the tendency of one's period to come at an inconvenient time. Going out of town? A week before your period is supposed to come? GUESS WHAT BITCHES

:argh:

I had to use pads for two days and gently caress that. Back to divacup with no worries about pulling out my Mirena again because even if I do it beats that dirty diaper feeling of wearing a pad.

cuntvalet posted:

I'm on the placebo week now (week 4) and I'm just wondering...since I had that early/surprise period a week and a half ago should I expect another one this week coming up? I know it probably depends on my body etc but if I shouldn't expect one I don't want to panic, you know?

I probably wouldn't expect another one, but I also wouldn't worry if one turns up anyway. Everyone's body is different, hormones are weird, reactions can change over time, blah blah. Keep on taking those pills on time.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I think that happened with me too, although I am unsure of the exact timeline. It wasn't immediate anyway. I wonder if it takes a while for your body to clear out all the hormones from your previous method? I was on the pill before, so that'd be a possible explanation for me anyway.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

InEscape posted:

The hormones in the pill should leave your system in 72 hours though the effects may linger as your body readjusts to previous levels. Patch takes longer to leave your system -- up to two weeks, and obviously injections take even longer.

Welp nevermind.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Menschsein posted:

I had my Mirena inserted in October 2011 and didn't have a period from June until January. Since then I seem to have had a period-y thing each month (REALLY hoping it goes away again), bright red and enough to use a cup. But what's most mysterious is that I have boobal issues, as in tender breasts not only the week before my period, but basically two or three weeks before it, which makes it only one week after my period when I'm not achy or perioding. I went to my gyn check-up in January and she said in the ultrasound that there was some unreleased egg hanging out in one ovary. I filed it as a "I have a cyst".

ANYWAY, my question is, has anyone else had boobal issues on the Mirena, and did they subside? I'm okay with waiting it out, but it's a drat nuisance in the general fabulousness.

I'm just like that, yep. Same with the not having real periods for a couple months and then woop back to having a cycle. It isn't a huge inconvenience for me so I have been just dealing with it- still better than babies!

My gyno said that the Mirena "works by being an IUD" and the hormone is just there to lighten periods because sometimes IUDs give you heavier ones. I am not sure if that means that we still ovulate and all that when on it. It may be that earlier in its time in the uterus it does have a higher amount of hormone being released at a time, and after a while it subsides. Either way it is still effective.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do about BC, and the description of the Mirena as being effective because it's an IUD and not so much because of the hormones is something I actually really like the sound of, since right now even the idea of hormones puts me at pretty high anxiety levels about the anxiety that the hormones cause. I was considering Paragard, but my periods off of the pill are so awful and crampy and miserable I don't really want to exacerbate that by putting a foreign body that will worsen them into my already unhappy uterus. If it was just heavier bleeding, I could handle that. My meluna soft makes that a non-issue. It's the cramps. They already put me out for at least 12 hours unless I'm really diligent about taking ibuprofen every eight hours for the two days before. The time I had appendicitis, I thought it was just cramps for the first six hours that I was in too much pain to sleep. I have no questions, just mostly want to vent to other ladies who understand this sort of thing since I'm generally the most knowledgeable person about women's health in my circle of friends.

Dayum. Mirena or Skyla sounds good for you, yeah. Skyla is even lower hormone and it's 3 years rather than 5. Please talk to a gyno :sympathy:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Christabel posted:

This is so weird. I was coming here to ask almost this exact question. I have had my Mirena for just over a year and I have loved it. In the last couple of months I have been training for a race, and for the last month I have been in a state of nonstop premenstrual symptoms. My breasts are huge and sore, I'm spotting - a little a day, nothing solid, but definitely ongoing, I have cramps off and on and my moods are horrible.

When I first had the Mirena put in, I had a month of cramps and bitchy bleeding, and then it has since been fine except for a few spots now and then, with a bit of breast tenderness and some cramps. I called those my "mini periods", and the total symptoms lasted for maybe 4 days. But now it won't stop.

Other than the running, nothing else has changed. I have not had a significant weight loss, no other medications. Is it worth going back to my doctor?

How heavy is the bleeding? If you're filling a pad/tampon in less than like 3 hours you should call a doctor today. If it's normal period-level bleeding, then you are probably stuck with it. Like I said above, the same exact thing happened with me, and

Menschsein posted:

I'm glad to hear it's unusual and should subside.

I'm sorry but I don't think it is going to subside. I think that's how your periods & PMS times will be for the next couple of years while you're on Mirena. My body has been doing it this way for at least 6 months (I didn't notice the pattern for a while :downs:). It's still a lighter, shorter period for me, and luckily I guess I don't have huge boobs so the breast tenderness can be alleviated by wearing a bra, or a sports bra if it's bad. It does suck that it's basically 3 weeks of every month spent in PMS or perioding mode, but such is life. And still- no babies.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Geolicious posted:

You guys are making me afraid my Mirena will turn on me :ohdear:

I don't consider it turning on me. It's just a PMS and then a period. Like normal and non-hormonal was for me, but with lighter periods and a bit longer boob tenderness. Amenorrhea only happens for like 20% of Mirena users. Getting a period doesn't mean it's not working and I wouldn't count it as a side effect.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Wait, so are we talking like, serious mood issues for three weeks out of every month? I've never really had bad PMS at all, cramping or moods or anything, but I have been dealing with some pretty gnarly depression for the past couple years that I'm just now sorting out. I'm worrying I might want to avoid Mirena if it can really affect your moods that much.

No, for me it's hurty boobs and a predilection for dairy & eggs.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Birth control can lower libido but it has nothing to do with when you start dating your partner vs when you start birth control. It just lowers your libido in general. Some people find they gain weight when on BC, either due to increased appetite or water retention. If the latter I believe it tends to be temporary.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Geolicious posted:

My insertion was pretty lovely (thanks retroverted uterus!) but was mercifully quick and I was good to go the next day (but I took the day off anyway because I had a lenient boss!)

FWIW I also have a retroverted uterus and it was painful but by no means traumatizing for me.

Mladic posted:

Awesome and informative thread/OP.

Has anyone had experience with the mini pill? I have never been on BC before, and the Implanon sounded like an awesome option until I discovered that it's unavailable in Canada :(. It doesn't look like I've be able to get a combined pill considering I have migraines with aura and a family history of stroke/heart disease (pretty much everyone in immediate family has had these in some form) and I would like to decrease the probability of side effects anyway.

What I'm worried most about is the effectiveness on the mini pill compared to a combined one. From the OP it looks like the effectiveness is pretty similar but I've been looking around at other places and there seems to be a rather large amount of people who have gotten pregnant on it. As long as I take it at the EXACT same time each day, I'd be fine, right? Or would continuing to use condoms (although I'd really rather not) be more effective overall?

Edit: I should probably say that the migraines are very very rare, so I'm not sure if I should entirely rule out combination pills.

I suspect if you find a lot of people getting pregnant on it it's due to timing fuckups... TYpical use rather than perfect use. It's worth a try. You need to have a backup plan with any birth control, as in, talk with your partner about what you would do in case of accidental pregnancy. Using condoms in addition would be more effective but it's not necessary.

You should also look again for Implanon availability in Canada because it's now called Nexplanon and I would be surprised if it's not available.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

I suppose it's mostly just that paranoia about "I know it's really unlikely nothing will go wrong but WHAT IF I BREAK MY UTERUS :byodame:"

You won't break your uterus. Trust me.

:getin:

(A week is fine. Yes, be careful about the suction.)

click the ? under my name and check out my posts in March if you want to freak yourself out

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Squidtamer DA posted:

So after taking Tri-Sprintec for 5 years without any issues, my doctor just randomly switched me to Tri-Privifem, which is apparently another generic brand. I think I took it once before when the pharmacy ran out and it was fine, but I'll be fine, right? I mean, they both have the same active ingredients. I've never switched birth controls before so I'm stupidly paranoid I'll suddenly get migraines and become a crazy bitch. :ohdear:

You'll be fine.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I called my doctor about IUDs and she said I was a candidate for a hormonal one but not copper and that's alright - I'm on hormonal BC pills anyway and was just curious what going off them would be like. Anyway, now I'm wondering whether a Nexplanon is a better choice than an IUD. What exactly are the advantages of a Mirena over a Nexplanon, besides the fact that it lasts longer?

Yeah pretty much what Ceridwen said. Mostly it's more likely to give you spotting. A Mirena (or Skyla) also has less hormone than a Nexplanon- a Nexplanon at the very very end of its life doses as much as a Mirena does from the beginning. If you're looking to get away from hormones then a Skyla (3 years) or Mirena (5 years) is better than the implant. Otherwise I think it's up to your squick factor. Oh, and also if you are overweight you should do some looking into whether Nexplanon would even be an option for you. It is less effective on obese women but I don't know what the threshold is.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Nope, I'm a healthy weight and squick is not a factor. I think becoming a babyless cyborg via subdermal implant is just about the coolest thing ever, but a uterine one is almost as good. There's definite appeal in lower hormones/less bleeding, so I suppose I'll go ahead with the IUD in July. Thanks :)

No problem. Please post a trip report :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Three weeks isn't really enough time for SSRIs to wear off, probably, and also to be frank if you've been on SSRIs it's possible that your preexisting anxiety or depression or whatever is also still affecting your libido.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kimmalah posted:

Very true. I didn't have a lot of resistance, but I did have to be fairly insistent about the fact that I wanted off hormonal birth control before anyone would give me a Paragard. I've had great doctors for the most part, but even so I still had to be really clear about what I wanted and why.

Pretty much just bragging here but I went into my student health center ready to have to make a case for Mirena and the doc was all "Okay when should we schedule it?" :aaa: I got really lucky I guess.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Zvezda posted:

I didn't get a pregnancy test! She just asked me when my last period was and whether I'd had unprotected sex since then. Since I hadn't, she said I'd have to have been extremely unlucky to have gotten pregnant

It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 27, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Are you filling a pad or tampon within an hour, for multiple hours in a row? If so, yes, make an emergency appointment. If not, just make a normal peace of mind appointment sooner than September. Which pill are you on? Most of them are combinations of those things in one way or another so that's not much information.

Uh, having checked your other thread, I think you'd better just make an appointment for as soon as you can. The bleeding question is still pertinent, and it is normal unfortunately for the first month-3 months of a new BC pill to cause bleeding at the wrong times, but constant and heavy is worrying. I'm sorry because I know you have anxiety issues and all that and I bet I'm making it worse, but yeah with your history and heavy bleeding now please go to the doctor. :sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

NewsGunkie posted:

I....didn't know that about the Naproxen. I guess I'll get some ibuprofen. Yeah, it's been about 4 weeks, and I'm due for another period in about a week.

It is anecdotal, mind you. People react differently to different anti-inflammatory type things. Naproxen works fine for me :shrug:

• Locked thread